kah // User Search

1  ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  78  |

Please lay off the personals?

May 8, 2003, 2:04pm
"bowen" <Bowen at andras.net> wrote in
news:3eb9eec2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> *cuts KAH* I'm attacking you personally.

*counter-attacks by stabbing Bowen with a rusty spoon* Oops, now E N Z O
will have to ban us 0_0

KAH

Beta Signup

May 8, 2003, 2:05pm
"scuz" <webmaster at awscape.com> wrote in
news:3eb9d8f9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> i was just wondering, cus i never saw a offer fer 3.4, sos i guess i
> just got on ngs to late to see it

There was a post, but you'll need to read all the newsgroups to be sure to
get it.

KAH

no auto-upgrade?

May 7, 2003, 6:07pm
"lord fett" <lordfett at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3eb89c15 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Only closed beta people get the auto upgrade each time a new build
> comes out. Currently, the only way for open beta users to upgrade is
> to download the file when it is announced in the universe message each
> time.

Not quite. Open beta testers still got the 481 autoupdate.

KAH

Getting Web Teleports to work in WinXP

May 8, 2003, 2:10pm
"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3eb9bca1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> That's what I'm wondering too. mapper.activeworlds.com has
> instructions on how to do it in 98 and 2000 and stuff, but I need to
> know how to do that in XP. >_<
>
> In the integrated window, the web teleports work fine but from the
> external browser...no go.

Have you tried following the instructions for w2k? It might work, even if
XP is much crappier and eviler than w2k.

KAH

A!!CT Bingo

May 9, 2003, 11:40am
"brock" <Brock at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in news:3ebba073$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I just tell it like i think it is bit lol.
> No one is gonna censor me :)

Give up, it's just an act you put on, especially after the NGTNG guide.

KAH

E N Z O, why was my Bingo Bot removed?

May 11, 2003, 2:22pm
"john" <john at 3d-reality.com> wrote in news:3ebe28d5
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why was my open source bingo bot removed from the BOTS ng?

You'd be better off asking MS why OE removed the post from your cache :-))
The article's there all right.

KAH

E N Z O, why was my Bingo Bot removed?

May 12, 2003, 2:50pm
"john" <john at 3d-reality.com> wrote in
news:3ebe7f2b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Err, it didnt... lol... i tried it on other pc which didn't have it in
> its cache and it wasnt there... its still in my cache on this pc.

Blame MS for that too, I assure you the article is on the server. I just
checked with a raw telnet session, so it can't have been cached on my side.

KAH

E N Z O, why was my Bingo Bot removed?

Jun 8, 2003, 9:34am
".duo." <ncommons at attbi.com> wrote in
news:3ee31d29$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Then why not just e-mail us? If you click "Reply" and not "Reply to
> Group" then you can send an e-mail... so why not?

Look, what does it matter? The EULA clearly states they can do whatever
they want with your account at their discretion, so they could actually ban
you for absolutely no reason if they felt like it. And they don't have to
tell you why either. As Alphabit said, giving you the reason might get them
into trouble, so just telling you "Hey, you're banned, mate!" is all that's
wise from their point of view.

KAH

E N Z O, why was my Bingo Bot removed?

Jun 9, 2003, 12:26pm
".duo." <ncommons at attbi.com> wrote in
news:3ee349d1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I never saw or agreed to any agreement. Where is it?

You certainly did. What do you think you accept during the installation?

KAH

AW

May 28, 2003, 2:32pm
"elfkaz" <unclesben at aol.com> wrote in
news:3ed39965$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I just have to say this AW is better at helping their customers out
> better then EA is. Everytime I have a problem with AW they are there
> and will try to explain what is wrong. But with EA I have been in
> their tech surport 6 times and I still get no where with my problem.
> And it keeps getting bigger and bigger the problem does. All I am
> saying is AW is better even if you don't get a true answer they will
> talk to you.

They sometimes take rather a long time to reply, though. They do seem to do
so eventually.

KAH

World AW IP Change, and AWMapper down.

May 28, 2003, 2:34pm
"bastillion" <bastillion at charter.net> wrote in
news:3ed40cda$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Apparently, they moved the World AW to a new server sometime today,
> and the IP address changed for it.
> Why does this concern me?
>
> My firewall software wouldn't let me connect to world AW.. but it did
> let me into AWGate.
>
> I had to find the new addy, adjust my firewall.. not really that hard
> to do, but would have been nice of AW to let us know that they were
> doing to do that! :)

It's quite normal for servers to change their IP address, that's why you
have the DNS system. You obviously use completely insane firewall rules, so
you do not have grounds to complain about anything.

Give them a day or two to fix DNS problems and move everything (the mapper
stuff takes up a lot of space, you know).

KAH

mapper

Jun 3, 2003, 2:33pm
"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3edbc395 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> It was quite a job to keep the map updated. I think AW is keeping
> their eye out for a better, less tedious way of providing the mapper
> to us.
>
> I was glancing at some archives of mapper and noticed UTN and Phillips
> used to help out in hosting mapper. Hopefully, someone or a group of
> people in the community can host the most recent mapper for us until
> something better comes along to help keep it updated.

Actually, the whole show used to be run and owned by Phillips at their VEVO
research lab. When Phillips closed it, the AWI took over hosting of the
mapper.

I don't believe UTN ever had anything to do with running it.

KAH

new virus alert!

Jun 9, 2003, 12:28pm
"brock" <Brock at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3ee34c09$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> pc-cillin is the worst anti-virus avaliable, god get NAV, rated the
> best by PC Mag and tons more pubs

Nah, NAV is big time bloatware and has no special advantage over PC-Cillin.
Trend Micro probably didn't pay as much as Norton did to win the tests :-D

KAH

Persuasion of Children

Jun 10, 2003, 1:00pm
"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3ee5ec93 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> It's the responsibility of the community to combat negative
> manipulation from other adults and children targeted at adults and
> children in the AW Universe. : )

Look, you're talking crap. Please tell us what you want to say in *clear
text* or don't bother. Because you have a record here of having strange
opinions about harmless things, nobody will listen if you continue this fog
talking.

KAH

*MrBruce*

Jun 14, 2003, 8:29am
"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3eea2735 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Where do you find the time to type these huge responses? lol
>
> Does anyone even read these??

No :-P Except perhaps The Lady, but she doesn't count.

KAH

AW Forum?

Jun 14, 2003, 8:31am
"calhoun" <coen at charter.net> wrote in news:3eeac48d$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> does Active Worlds have a forum, and if so where is it?

You are in it... Time to open your eyes, mate.

KAH

Java

Jun 16, 2003, 4:10pm
"elfkaz" <unclesben at aol.com> wrote in
news:3eedfc32$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Ok all I asked if there was one. That is it I did not mean for youns
> to read my mind bowen. Everytime I use C and C++ it does not go like
> I want it to go. C and C++ is too confusing for me too that is why I
> was looking for Java cause I think it will not be so confusing.

Well, think again. Java is entirely OOP so if you don't get C or C++, you
won't get Java either. Maybe you confused Java with JS...

KAH

Decleration of Independence (AW)

Jul 21, 2003, 8:49am
"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3f1b3ff5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I didn't take the site down, that site shut itself down. I uploaded
> this at a new url
> http://www.angelfire.com/moon/creations0/aw/awdeclaration.htm
>
> From what I understand, one thing just as important as considering
> declaration is AW is a company with customers and investors, although
> I've been unable to get information about how they receive their
> funding.
>
> AW is my family, (I know others feel the same way) and I think it very
> important that all necessary steps to ensure job security of its
> employees and a working program to the citizens be recognized through
> the process of a democracy at all times. Let's face it, without
> bucks, they and we don't prosper.

They get their funding from their customers. You still don't understand
that treating a company like a government/state-nation isn't going to work,
do you? You have no way to put pressure on a company other than not paying
it. And if you don't pay AWI, your citizenship will expire (but hey, you'll
finally achieve your "independence" from AWI, isn't that great!), they lose
$70 and won't care.

You should be carefull about what you do, these days someone might start an
enquiry about you based on all your revolutionary statements...

KAH

War

Jul 21, 2003, 9:31pm
"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3f1c700c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Telegram from "anonymous", sent Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:24 PM:
> i will fight with all my mite to the death to stop u and ur
> Declaration of Independence u now have a war on ur hands
> --------------------------------------
>
> Ya'll declared war on me. I don't even have an army. Guess I'd
> better get one.

Okay, this one person is "us all". That's right, makes lots of sense.

It's you who started this whole declaration of independence revolution
charade anyway, don't complain when someone as strange as yourself joins
in.

KAH

Trivial Request

Jul 22, 2003, 12:57pm
"just in" <anon at no.spam..com> wrote in
news:3f1cc986 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I know this is trivial and in all likelihood have no effect, but
> here's hoping!
>
> When some posters reply to posts, they put their response underneath
> the previous post. Agent1, Bowen, Kah and TheMask are a few of those
> posters that do this. This means that in a lot of cases you have to
> scroll the page down to read what they wrote.
>
> For me personally - I tend to spend just a second or two on getting a
> gist of what the person wrote, to evaluate whether I want to go on to
> read all of their post. If I can't get a gist of it in that time I'll
> move on to the next post.
>
> Could people try to keep their replies at the top of the post please?

Bottom-posting, as Bowen said, is the standard on USENET, and in newsgroups
in general. If you think about it, it's much more logical to bottom-post,
as you (assuming a Western audience, which we definitely are) read from the
top downward, so having the history of the thread above the reply is easier
to understand.

A lot of newsreaders provide a function to skip the quoted text, anyway.
MSOE probably doesn't, but MSOE belongs in a trash can :-))

I see your point, especially since there is a lot of top-posting in here,
that you get used to it, but why not get used to bottom-posting instead?

KAH

Trivial Request

Jul 23, 2003, 9:26am
"goober king" <awnews at awnews.org> wrote in news:3f1d98f5
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Just because people on USENET do it does not make it acceptable. It's an
> atrocious practice that has been the root cause of hundreds of hijacked
> threads and flame wars in these and other forums for years. You can't
> interrupt someone while they're talking in real life to argue every
> point they make, as the discussion would never go anywhere. This is how
> it works in the newsgroups as well, as most inline threads wind up
> nitpicking over some obscure detail that never had anything to do with
> the original discussion in the first place.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, if you can't comment on the general idea of a
> person's post, or at least sum up their points in a couple paragraphs,
> then don't bother commenting at all.

There's quite a difference between having a spoken conversation and a
written discussion. It's just not possible to interrupt anyone in written
like you describe.

I usually don't use inline posting, but sometimes I do, in long posts or in
posts with included data, etc, to highlight what I'm replying to. It avoids
confusion, especially in technical newsgroups where there might be chunks
of included data pertaining to the post (for example the PHP newsgroups
Bowen mentioned, where you often have to highlight a piece of sourcecode
with a problem in it).

I don't see why we are having this discussion here, it's been debated
countless times on USENET, and the conclusion is obvious; bottom posting is
best, inline posting is fine.

KAH

Trivial Request

Jul 23, 2003, 9:34am
Please make an exception for this one and scroll down...

"just in" <anon at no.spam..com> wrote in
news:3f1e26aa at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Okay - Generally speaking I like to follow stardard practice too,
> except where it becomes antiquated or detrimental.
>
> It would be nice if you could break USENET (n)etiquette for the AW
> newsgroups, for the various reasons given by myself and others in this
> thread, but if you still decide not to I will not debate the issue.
> Note though if you do continue to bottom post I will not see any of
> your posts where I have to scroll down to read it.

You aren't considering that you're being rather egoistical. It may seem
bothering to you to scroll down, but you aren't considering it could be
bothersome for others to top post. My newsreader, being a good one that
respects USENET standards, is set up to bottom post. To top post I'd have
to scroll up, and hit my return key twice. To read my bottom posts in MSOE
you only have to press PageDn, action the wheel on your mouse or drag a
scrollbar down.

If you don't want to read my posts, fine, don't. It's silly to ignore
people because they're using valid, proven to be best posting style, but
okay. It's not really our problem.

KAH

Trivial Request

Jul 24, 2003, 9:27am
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3f1f1d39$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> What the hell? Have you even used Outlook Express?

He has, I have. Been there, done that. Now we've moved on to quality
newsreaders. You should try it too sometime. If you're so annoyed by bottom
posting, I recommend XNews, it will allow you to skip the quoting by the
press of a button:
http://kahnews.cjb.net/misc/xnews1.png

XNews site:
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

It's not like it hurts our feelings knowing you and Just In aren't going to
read our posts because you're too stubborn to even listen to the arguments
in favour of bottom posting.

KAH

Trivial Request

Jul 24, 2003, 9:32am
"goober king" <awnews at awnews.org> wrote in
news:3f1eba12$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> And as for any other newsgroups you may frequent, I highly doubt
> they're *that* anal about top vs. bottom posting, especially with the
> wide proliferation of OE users who have no choice in the matter. If
> they can put up with it, so can you.

They don't put up with it. They beat the shit out of the person verbally,
then give out the link to the OE-quotefix, an injection-based (I think) app
that allows you to bottom post and use proper signature delimiters (dash-
dash-space) in OE.

I frequent alt.php and comp.lang.php. If I ever were to top post there, all
the regulars would go crazy at me. The same would happen in nearly any
other USENET group. So yes, they *are* that anal about it. With reason
(mostly).

KAH

HELP with Trojan

Jul 22, 2003, 1:01pm
"shia" <cabaround at cox.net> wrote in
news:3f1d4f62$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Can someone tell me how to remove this awtoolkit trojan from my
> computer...I read all the posts but no one mentions the registry
> changes and AW is not responding to my emails.

It probably just adds some entries in
HKEY_(LOCAL_MACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run[Once|Service|etc]

An easy way to find them (although they're of no danger if you got
rid of the files) would be to search the registry for the filename(s)
the trojan was dumped as. Just use regedit (be warned, if you edit
the wrong entries you could screw some things up, make sure it's
only stuff pertaining to the trojan).

KAH

AV proposal

Jul 23, 2003, 9:48am
"builderz" <builderz at vastnexus.com> wrote in news:3F1DAD48.7E478C97
at vastnexus.com:

> You can try that, but he'd probably just find another one. Who knows,
> you might even end up blocking an IP from a legitimate user. Also,
> someone could spoof the IP address of a large router or something (or
> even the IP address of the AW uniserver). Heh.

Would be sorta useless, as the data would go back to the spoofed IP, not
the cracker. It works with DoS attacks, could work on some UDP systems, but
not in a TCP environment like AW.

KAH

AV proposal

Jul 24, 2003, 9:44am
"ryan" <awngs.5.ryanjacob at spamgourmet.com> wrote in
news:3f1ea271$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> What do you mean by "not happy"? lol

You'll lose connection I guess.

KAH

AWtoolkit removal tool

Jul 24, 2003, 10:09am
"darksville" <craigrood at btopenworld.com> wrote in
news:3f1fc261 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Is it true that the link below is a virus? im no trying if it is !

If you read the post and checked who it was from, you'd see it was a
removal utility from AWI.

KAH

Trusted Sources

Jul 24, 2003, 10:34pm
"r i c h a r d" <richard.lazenby1 at ntlworld.com> wrote in
news:3f2039a3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I telegramed Calpantera about that he said he was thinking of the same
> thing
>
> <TELEGRAM QUOTE>
>
> Telegram from Calpantera, sent Wed Jul 23, 2003 18:58:
>
> I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even having the installers
> created, code signed and hosted by AW
>
> </TELEGRAM QUOTE>

Ugh. That's rather paranoid if you ask me. The simple solution is educating
people not to open anything at all, as has happened here. And while we're
discussion trusted sources, that was just what our friend M a t t exploited
to distribute it, first take a few citizenships, then abusing the trust
others had in the stolen accounts to further distribute it.

Don't just accept a bot/application without even asking what it does
("toolkit for AW" tells a *lot*, doesn't it...), or without getting a demo.
If you do accept something and it seems suspisious to you, investigate it.
Look in your process list (under Win9x/ME you won't get access to all
processes through CTRL+ALT+DEL unfortunately), in your registry, etc. A
packet sniffer can be usefull too.

I doubt everyone is going to be willing to give out their sourcecode to
AWI, and what would it help to have it code signed and hosted by them if
it's really a trojan?

KAH

Unofficial Active Worlds next version Poll

Jul 26, 2003, 8:28am
"legion" <jonsavel at juno.com> wrote in
news:3f219a42 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> 1.) What should the next version number be? 3.5 or 4.0?

This inline reply is dedicated to: Goober King :-D
That's entirely up to the developers. Version numbers are supposed to
denote progress, they're not decoration. That aside, it's quite clear from
AWI statements that the next version will be 3.5.

> 2.) What should the next version's features be?
> 3.) Does it need any GUI changes/improvements? How much of GUI
> changes/improvement does it need? What kind of specific GUI
> changes/improvement do you have in mind if there is any?
> 4.) What type of features are most needed? (building features, world
> features, server features, etc.)
> 5.) What are most needed feature in term of priority?
> 6.) Anything else related to next version?

Why ask all these detailed questions when it's not going to happen anyway?
This post belongs in wishlist.

KAH

1  ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  78  |