AV proposal (Community)

AV proposal // Community

I Would propose all cit emails are frozen for a time until someone kills M a
t t....

That way at least stolen cits can be instantly recovered

-Mark

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 7:18pm
I say AW kicks M A T T by his IP, so if he does try logging on to a cit he
stole he can't

tried... wont work... proxies... although (ryan if u would)

-Mark

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 22, 2003, 7:21pm
Calhoun, I believe he uses a proxy or some other means to cloak his real
IP address, so that won't do much good. And, does anyone really know it
was M A T T again this time? Couldn't it be a copy cat?

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 7:26pm
it might have been one
[View Quote]

ryan

Jul 22, 2003, 7:31pm
Can try banning whole lists of proxies..bound to run out of proxies
sometime I'd say...lol

Ryan

The lists man! The lists!

ryan

Jul 22, 2003, 7:36pm
What? You want me to post the lists here? Ok, then other people can join
in on the proxy fun :)

Ryan

[View Quote] > The lists man! The lists!

builderz

Jul 22, 2003, 7:37pm
You can try that, but he'd probably just find another one. Who knows,
you might even end up blocking an IP from a legitimate user. Also,
someone could spoof the IP address of a large router or something (or
even the IP address of the AW uniserver). Heh.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

baro

Jul 22, 2003, 8:08pm
Why doesn't someone just find where he lives, and go into his house and
give him a *trojan, and by that I mean brutal vicious anal rape?
A lot of these people feel "safe" that they are just on a computer acting
like an idiot, I'm sure someone lives near enough to him to dispence some
vigilante justice.
Quite frankly I think most hackers and spammers and such need some RL gang
justice to perhaps jump-start their journy of growing up past the mentality
of a 2 year old.

*When brutaly sodomising a hax0r wannabie, always use protection.

glitzy giftz

Jul 22, 2003, 8:16pm
Who was it that said it may not even be Matt, whoever that is. It's sad
that we all can't play nice irl and online. :-( Whoever it was will get
what's coming to them. Justice will be served. Won't it? Innocent until
proven guilty. Give Matt and peace a chance. :-)

[View Quote]

r i c h a r d

Jul 22, 2003, 10:06pm
Theres no way AW can block him by IP theres hundreds of thousands of public
access proxy's he can use

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:13am
Believe me, they've tried, but he using proxies. I could just as easily as
matt do the same thing... with a proxy. It isnt hard. We don't even know if
all these people are matt...
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:14am
There are at least 2000 proxies (andthats a horrible understatement)... good
'luck'.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:14am
roflmao
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:15am
I dought matt will ever be caught
[View Quote]

themask

Jul 23, 2003, 12:22am
I wonder if they have logs of him on his own cit with his computer name, so
they can possibly block that.

Ahem... they have his credit card information from when his citizen was
registered. Er go, they have his address. So why doesn't AW do anything?
Beats me. Perhaps the situation is not as simple as it looks.

Chris

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Jul 23, 2003, 3:26am
[View Quote] He will if he's STUPID ENOUGH to keeping his luck....

PC Hamster

---

ihnk

Jul 23, 2003, 5:45am
M.A T T: IM BACKKKK

M.A T T: MWHAHAHA

[View Quote]

themask

Jul 23, 2003, 6:00am
It's PhatMonkeySlayer being an idiot. Jeez.

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 9:05am
He's not lucky, he uses proxies. There is no way to catch him.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 9:05am
hmm... or at least trace it.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 23, 2003, 9:07am
Maybe he usd a fake card or something? If he didn't, then this whole thing
is bull. Making viruses is a serious offense, as well as hacking. I don't
see why aw couldn't at least sue him or take him to court.
[View Quote]

legion

Jul 23, 2003, 9:36am
ROFLLMAO!

So you're saying someone should come and *bleep* him? ;)

-Censored for your own safety ;)

--
Legion

"I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
17th-century French philosopher, Earth

"builderz" <builderz at vastnexus.com> wrote in news:3F1DAD48.7E478C97
at vastnexus.com:

> You can try that, but he'd probably just find another one. Who knows,
> you might even end up blocking an IP from a legitimate user. Also,
> someone could spoof the IP address of a large router or something (or
> even the IP address of the AW uniserver). Heh.

Would be sorta useless, as the data would go back to the spoofed IP, not
the cracker. It works with DoS attacks, could work on some UDP systems, but
not in a TCP environment like AW.

KAH

builderz

Jul 23, 2003, 12:21pm
Yep, that's correct. They could send data to the server, but wouldn't be
able to get a response back. But knowing how most people think that
whoever is making these Trojans in a "real hacker," they probably
wouldn't know the difference. I was just saying that it was possible
(why someone would do it besides trying to do a DoS attack, I don't
know). Another thing that can be done that I haven't seen others mention
would be to simply break into the NG server and steal passwords that way
as well. They may be encrypted, but given enough time, I'm sure they
could be decrypted.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 23, 2003, 12:24pm
There are still ways to catch people that use proxies, even if they
"chain" them together. However, if he rotates proxies like every thirty
seconds and has a large list of them, that'd be a real pain in the butt
to track.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

andras

Jul 23, 2003, 12:34pm
[View Quote] > Yep, that's correct. They could send data to the server, but wouldn't be
> able to get a response back. But knowing how most people think that
> whoever is making these Trojans in a "real hacker," they probably
> wouldn't know the difference. I was just saying that it was possible
> (why someone would do it besides trying to do a DoS attack, I don't
> know). Another thing that can be done that I haven't seen others mention
> would be to simply break into the NG server and steal passwords that way
> as well. They may be encrypted, but given enough time, I'm sure they
> could be decrypted.
>
> Builderz
> http://www.3dhost.net

AW's NG doesn't store the passwords - the authentication takes place at the uniserver through an SDK application as Calpantera already stated in another thread.
OTOH DNews (the NG software) uses a one way hash to store the password, so it is almost impossible to crack it (well,, not really if you have the same server software and have plenty of time at your hand to try all possible combination and compare the resulting hash with the stolen database).

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

andras

Jul 23, 2003, 12:36pm
[View Quote] > There are still ways to catch people that use proxies, even if they
> "chain" them together. However, if he rotates proxies like every thirty
> seconds and has a large list of them, that'd be a real pain in the butt
> to track.
>
> Builderz
> http://www.3dhost.net

The AW server software (uniserver and worldserver) is not happy when you change IP on the fly :)