mapper (Community)

mapper // Community

1  |

sexy eyes

Jun 2, 2003, 12:55pm
Why is the AWMapper website down??? It was fine two weeks ago, now its not

the lady

Jun 2, 2003, 7:37pm
It was quite a job to keep the map updated. I think AW is keeping their eye
out for a better, less tedious way of providing the mapper to us.

I was glancing at some archives of mapper and noticed UTN and Phillips used
to help out in hosting mapper. Hopefully, someone or a group of people in
the community can host the most recent mapper for us until something better
comes along to help keep it updated.

I would think the best way to do it, would be some form of dynamic system
when it is updated as an object it built, that way when say an object is
build or deleted, only a single area of a BMP would have to be redrawn, and
then converted to JPG, its the same as what I used for my Terrain creator
GUI where you have to update some huge sized pictures that need updating
often.

- mark

[View Quote] A faster way would be to divide it up into cells, like that of terrain
-- then do what you say. This technology they're using is old school to
the max.

"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3edbc395 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> It was quite a job to keep the map updated. I think AW is keeping
> their eye out for a better, less tedious way of providing the mapper
> to us.
>
> I was glancing at some archives of mapper and noticed UTN and Phillips
> used to help out in hosting mapper. Hopefully, someone or a group of
> people in the community can host the most recent mapper for us until
> something better comes along to help keep it updated.

Actually, the whole show used to be run and owned by Phillips at their VEVO
research lab. When Phillips closed it, the AWI took over hosting of the
mapper.

I don't believe UTN ever had anything to do with running it.

KAH

the lady

Jun 3, 2003, 3:18pm
http://web.archive.org/web/20010408134610/http://awmap.vevo.com/

This url shows the UTN logo next to the Phillips logo. I doubt this would
have been put on mapper if UTN wasn't being of help in some way in the use
of the mapper.

emmm no, UTN is universal towns network, they are a network of towns across
AW, the largest actually, which is why there logo would appear there,
because they are the largest, and so involve AW. makes sense if you think
bout it.

Well, sorta. We (UTN) just had a "I link you, you link me" deal with
them, so they had our link on their homepage and we had a link to them
on our Utilities page. So, I guess you could say we were helping with
the advertising. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Show him your link, and he'll show you his.
gooberking at utn.cjb.net