goober king // User Search

goober king // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  47  |  

Festival 2000 This Weekend!

Jun 22, 2000, 10:20pm
Not to be nit-picky, but the website has a lot of incorrect links and
blank table cells. Doesn't really make it professional-looking so you
might want to fix that :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Web Design Stickler
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

U CAN HAVE YOUR OWN FREE GRAFITI LOGO

Jan 15, 2001, 12:45am
Ain't buying it Fox, sorry. Someone who *happens* to type just like you,
sound just like you, and act just like you, just *happened* to hack in
and use your password to... post on the newsgroups?! Can't say I follow
the logic. Especially when you consider that this same person then had
the foresight to send me some nice little (albeit incoherent) tgrams
concerning my first reply to this thread. Better luck next time, Fox!

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Maybe Nornny was right... it doesn't even know it...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

About My Capitals

Feb 26, 2002, 7:07am
Swift, JBELL... Not only did you reply to a post that's over a year old,
but you crossposted it as well! Yer newsreader broken or something? :P

[View Quote] > my god.. are you serious? you really feel a need to say that.. jesus christ,
> grow some balls..
>
[View Quote]
--
Goober King
No one checks the date anymore...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

The end of an era

May 31, 2002, 1:09am
Indeed, Roland's passing will leave a huge hole in the AW community, as
well as in the future development of AW (if there is any). While I don't
doubt MrGrimm's skills as a programmer, Roland's countless years of
service to this product and its inhabitants will forever be unmatched.
He was one of the many level-headed AWC staffers who have since departed
AW's halls and is now the last of his kind (with the possible exceptions
of Flagg and Gand). May he find even more success and enjoyment in his
future endeavors.

But hey, we can't let him get away without saying goodbye! Whoever's on
the beta team (*cough*Agent1*cough*), post Lara's idea on the beta NG so
Roland will see it! :)

[View Quote] > According to a chat log that I received two weeks ago, two things of
> importance are supposed to occur today. While the release of 3.3 is
> probably no longer on schedule, I doubt that the other event has changed.
> For those of you who are unaware, Roland Vilett, AW's lead programmer, will
> be reporting for his last day of work at Activeworlds this morning.
>
> For those of you who don't realize the impact of this event on the
> community, Roland has contributed too much to Activeworlds to recount. If
> anyone had a technical problem, Roland was THE source on AW - period.
> Having been around at least since the COF takeover of AW if not before (in
> other words, a LONG time), Roland single-handedly programmed almost all of
> the current browser, world, and universe software that we all use every day.
>
> Putting aside some minor disagreements some might have, Roland has been
> actively involved in the community since day one - holding TechTalks,
> visiting worlds, and talking to people using his software. At times, he was
> even moreso a representative of the company than his superiors. During the
> days when corporate partners set the development order, Roland was at the
> forefront, continually arguing to include more features aimed to improve
> normal citizens' experiences.
>
> I'm sure that everyone remembers an instance where Roland helped him or her
> solve a problem. For myself, I still remember Roland's nonstop commitment
> last Fall when AWTeen was continually being attacked by hackers and password
> stealers. He must have been asked to resolve these problems at least a
> half dozen times if not more, but he didn't complain once. Even when it was
> past 10:00pm and he had to be off the clock, he was still working late into
> the night restoring property, looking up world logs, and taking care of
> vandals.
>
> I titled this post "the end of an era" because Roland's leaving really is
> just that, and cross-posted it to all these newsgroups because if there's
> one topic that's of interest to all AW citizens, this is it. I hope that
> I'm not alone in saying that Roland has left MrGrimm some very large shoes
> to fill.
>
> If you're reading this, Roland, I wish you luck in your future endeavors :)
>
>
>


--
Goober King
The end of an era, and the beginning of the end...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

[Event] The Great AWTeen Show Info

Sep 1, 2002, 8:27pm
That'd be great, except that's when the CY Awards are going to take
place! No offense, but I doubt even the Great AWTeen Show can compete
with that. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Bow to the power of the CYs...
robrod at prism.net

Needed: C/C++ Programmers!

Oct 31, 2002, 1:35am
I swear, Joeman, you must be possessed by the ghost of Eep Past or
something. Can't you people just accept that fact that Eep is GONE?! I
thought that's what you all wanted! Why resurrect him?!

[View Quote]
--
Goober King
Next thing you know, Joe will be calling everyone twits! :P
robrod at prism.net

The end of an era

May 31, 2002, 1:09am
Indeed, Roland's passing will leave a huge hole in the AW community, as
well as in the future development of AW (if there is any). While I don't
doubt MrGrimm's skills as a programmer, Roland's countless years of
service to this product and its inhabitants will forever be unmatched.
He was one of the many level-headed AWC staffers who have since departed
AW's halls and is now the last of his kind (with the possible exceptions
of Flagg and Gand). May he find even more success and enjoyment in his
future endeavors.

But hey, we can't let him get away without saying goodbye! Whoever's on
the beta team (*cough*Agent1*cough*), post Lara's idea on the beta NG so
Roland will see it! :)

[View Quote] > According to a chat log that I received two weeks ago, two things of
> importance are supposed to occur today. While the release of 3.3 is
> probably no longer on schedule, I doubt that the other event has changed.
> For those of you who are unaware, Roland Vilett, AW's lead programmer, will
> be reporting for his last day of work at Activeworlds this morning.
>
> For those of you who don't realize the impact of this event on the
> community, Roland has contributed too much to Activeworlds to recount. If
> anyone had a technical problem, Roland was THE source on AW - period.
> Having been around at least since the COF takeover of AW if not before (in
> other words, a LONG time), Roland single-handedly programmed almost all of
> the current browser, world, and universe software that we all use every day.
>
> Putting aside some minor disagreements some might have, Roland has been
> actively involved in the community since day one - holding TechTalks,
> visiting worlds, and talking to people using his software. At times, he was
> even moreso a representative of the company than his superiors. During the
> days when corporate partners set the development order, Roland was at the
> forefront, continually arguing to include more features aimed to improve
> normal citizens' experiences.
>
> I'm sure that everyone remembers an instance where Roland helped him or her
> solve a problem. For myself, I still remember Roland's nonstop commitment
> last Fall when AWTeen was continually being attacked by hackers and password
> stealers. He must have been asked to resolve these problems at least a
> half dozen times if not more, but he didn't complain once. Even when it was
> past 10:00pm and he had to be off the clock, he was still working late into
> the night restoring property, looking up world logs, and taking care of
> vandals.
>
> I titled this post "the end of an era" because Roland's leaving really is
> just that, and cross-posted it to all these newsgroups because if there's
> one topic that's of interest to all AW citizens, this is it. I hope that
> I'm not alone in saying that Roland has left MrGrimm some very large shoes
> to fill.
>
> If you're reading this, Roland, I wish you luck in your future endeavors :)
>
>
>


--
Goober King
The end of an era, and the beginning of the end...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Xelagot 3.305 now available

Jul 22, 2002, 1:35am
Rawr! Down, boy, down! Just In was just asking some questions, is that
so wrong? No need to bite his head off over it! No wonder so many fights
break out in here :P

[View Quote] > For one thing, Justin, my bot is freeware. Your way of questioning and
> demanding is quite annoying. Bug reports, or efforts to solve
> dilemmas are welcome... but not quite the way you pose them. May I
> say it roughly: if you don't like my bot, lump it! On the other hand,
> if you think there are problems etc, you are welcome to contact me at
> xelag at 3dee.nl in a gracious way, and, if I have time and the will to
> do so, I will try and solve them.
>
> Alex
>
> PS: why does the bot... because I made it so... could be my answer to
> your questions... I am not bound to serve you or anybody.
>
[View Quote]
--
Goober King
Whatever happened to taking a deep breath before posting?!
robrod at prism.net

concerning Xelagot bug reports

Jul 24, 2002, 2:56pm
Whatever you say, Eep.

I've (thankfully) never had to personally deal with you in a customer
capacity, but the way you treated Just In was uncalled for, regardless
of how "little tolerance" you have for questions asked in the "wrong"
medium.

Next time, if it really burns you up that badly when someone posts
suggestions/bug reports in the newsgroups, send the person a private
email explaining your policy, or simply ignore the post outright. But
don't jump down a guy's throat just because he asks a couple innocent
questions. It certainly doesn't make *you* look any better...

[View Quote] > Dear Xelagot users,
>
> As stated on my pages, bug reports (and suggestions) about Xelagots
> are to be sent to my email address
> xelag at 3dee.nl
>
> Most people do that correctly, but some insist in following their own
> ideas about how this should be done, even up to the point of writing
> to me saying "Would it really have killed you to answer my questions
> in the newsgroup so everyone would know where things are at?". It is
> my privilege to decide on these matters. I have a certain degree of
> tolerance for newbies and jounger people, who do not yet know their
> way around, but very little tolerance otherwise. Every bug report or
> suggestion makes me spend time, sometimes a considerable amount, to
> handle it. I do this without charging expenses, but only according to
> my own terms. I also expect politeness from users, even if I do not
> garantee a successful handeling of all matters. But I do try to solve
> bugs and other problems according to my capacity. And I do *not* enter
> into long discussions about why I chose to receive reports only by
> email.
>
> I hope this makes these matters clear to all.
>
> Cheers,
> XelaG
>


--
Goober King
Maybe he's taking PR lessons from JP...
robrod at prism.net

[Event] The Great AWTeen Show Info

Sep 1, 2002, 8:27pm
That'd be great, except that's when the CY Awards are going to take
place! No offense, but I doubt even the Great AWTeen Show can compete
with that. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Bow to the power of the CYs...
robrod at prism.net

Needed: C/C++ Programmers!

Oct 31, 2002, 1:35am
I swear, Joeman, you must be possessed by the ghost of Eep Past or
something. Can't you people just accept that fact that Eep is GONE?! I
thought that's what you all wanted! Why resurrect him?!

[View Quote]
--
Goober King
Next thing you know, Joe will be calling everyone twits! :P
robrod at prism.net

Public release of Demeter terrain editor

Dec 12, 2002, 1:04am
Hey, TZ... You know how they say "Brevity is the key to wit?" I'd like
to amend that by saying "Brevity is the key to sanity." And also
paragraphs. Look into them. :P

As for having terrain in AW, it's definitely doable, especially with
Demeter. Brant's a virtual genius! :D

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Now wonder he's PR... He talks the complainants to death. :P
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Object Submission

May 28, 2000, 8:33pm
In light of Just In's generous object donations and now Event Horizon's
furniture petition, I would like to make a proposal.

I think COF should write up some guidelines so that people in the AW
community can submit objects that they have made to the AW object
server. (or any other COF-owned public building world, for that matter)
Considering that COF's object-making staff is rather... limited, I would
think this would lift a major burden off of their shoulders. All they
would need to is set up a list of rules that a person would need to
follow (i.e. no obscene objects, have to be a specific dimension,
maximum number of polys, etc) and a place to submit them to and they'll
never have to worry about customer complaints of the lack of objects
ever again! And you can even do the same thing for textures!

I *implore* COF to consider this idea and if it can't be done, at least
say why. I feel that this would be a tremendous asset and would go a
long way to making one of the best object libraries out there!
--
Goober King
Just itching to submit his objects...
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/heat/318/index.html

Object Submissions

May 30, 2000, 11:29am
In light of Just In's generous donation of objects to AW, and now Event
Horizon's furniture petition, I would like to make a proposal. (Yeah,
I'm cross-posting. Seems to be the only way to get COF's attention
around here anymore. Sue.)

I believe that COF should write up some guidelines so that anyone who
wants to donate objects to the AW (or any other COF-owned public
building world) object server can. Considering that COF's object-making
staff is rather... limited, I would think this would lift a major burden
of their shoulders. Just set up a simple list of rules as to what kind
of objects to accept (i.e. No obscene objects, have to be certain
dimensions, etc) and a person to email them to, and bingo! You'll have
one of the best object libraries anywhere! And you could even do the
same thing for textures!

Heck, the only downside that was pointed out to me about this idea is
that there could be potential legal issues with copywrited objects.
However, I perceive those to be few and far between, and even then it
would only be between the creator of the object, and whoever it was that
stole it and submitted it as their own.

So, I *implore* COF to give some consideration to this idea. If you
don't think it's a good idea, then at least say why. Either that, or
start getting some more staff. Otherwise AW will be going nowhere fast.
--
Goober King
Just waiting to submit his objects...
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/heat/318/index.html

Protecting Children

Jun 21, 2000, 8:43pm
Quick, someone find a needle! Unless you're Beethoven, I don't think
you're in any position to use "genius" and "13 years old" in the same
sentence. :P

And since when has it taken just one day to get used to an Operating
System? I doubt even the people who coded it could get used to it that
fast :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Wonders how Wing fits his head through the door...
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/heat/318/index.html

Protecting Children

Jul 13, 2000, 11:19am
Umm, isn't that what Private worlds are for? If you don't want certain
people getting into your world, you make it Private and only put the
people you want to enter the world in the Enter Rights list. Besides,
how are you supposed to know who's 12 and who's 20? As long as they find
the password, it doesn't matter how old you are.

I'm sorry, but there's only one thing that can protect children from
these kinds of things, and that's parental intervention. It shouldn't be
COF's responsibility to babysit these kids and decide what they can and
cannot see and hear. The minute that starts to happen, you can bet I'll
never be seen here again! :P
--
Goober King
Censorship is the root of all stupidity...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Protecting Children

Apr 3, 2003, 8:37pm
I think you're a bit late, ENZO. This thread is over 2 years old. :P

[View Quote]
--
Goober King
No one pays attention to dates around here!
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Protecting Children

Apr 4, 2003, 12:39am
Don't know how you do it in Outlame, but if you view posts by thread,
you can see which posts the person is replying to. You would also have
to download *all* headers in the newsgroup.

[View Quote]
--
Goober King
Outlaming Outlame
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

To Whom It May Concern... [long!]

Jul 18, 2001, 1:32am
There was a time in AW when COF actually had a presence in the AW Community. There
was a time in AW when the concerns of the AW populace were actually considered before
a decision was made. There was a time in AW when people would meet in a little world
called The Transcend, and eagerly listen to COF's biggest announcements and plans for
the future. There was a time when, rather than see a product that was full of
potential get tossed aside like so much garbage, COF took it upon themselves to keep
it alive, doing it "for the community".
That was then; this is now. All the broken promises, unheard pleas, and unanswered
concerns lie plain for all to see like an open book. Citizenships that were
guaranteed to be free, abruptly changed to a paid system and unwittingly creating a
caste system of haves and have-nots that would forever divide the community. Worlds
like COFMeta, Atlantis, and WildAW, the "babies" of AWCI employees, now stand nearly
deserted and devoid of life due to neglect. World prices skyrocket out of control
without any prior warning or notification as the AW citizen base, mostly teenagers,
scramble to find enough money for their dream world. Features appear in the software
that only a marketing executive could love, as citizens' ideas go completely and
blatantly ignored. Organizations that once thrived on AWCI support (AWHS, AWEC, et
al) now stand in a state of dormancy, waiting for someone to help bring them to their
former glory. Textures get changed without any notification whatsoever, forever
changing, and in some cases, ruining the AW landscape.
And all this because of money; a simple, desperate, constant search for money. While
you were busy building virtual malls that no one would visit, you succeeding in
disenfranchising the AW populace by raising world prices and changing textures
without any input from your supposed "cherished" user base. While you were busy
shaking hands with Juno and making their world, a man by the name of Cybernome left
his post as caretaker of COFMeta (a world that *you*, AWCI, are supposed to be taking
care of) because of the stress of dealing with the AWCI management, causing it to
regress back to an empty, lonely world. While you were busy making Universes that
soon flopped, your stock did a reverse split and you actually had to buy some of your
own stock back! And while you were busy changing names and appointing Board members,
your own employees go as unnoticed and ignored as the citizens they spend their daily
lives helping and serving.
There's a reason this letter starts with the greeting "To Whom It May Concern". It's
a greeting that asks a simple question: Does this concern you? Do these things that
have occurred over the years bother you? Do you think something should be done about
them? If so, then why haven't you? The events that are described here, as well as
many others, are all well documented, so it's not as if you didn't know about them.
You are all perfectly aware of this buzzing community of people that has "suddenly"
sprung up around your little piece of software, yet you chose not to address it.
Instead of seeking to help nurture and grow this throng of loyal followers who have
been with you since the beginning, you wish to try and lure in companies and
businesses who might initially fall for the "revolutionary
e-commerce/education/modeling/simulation/whatever software" routine, but soon
discover it's nothing more than an elaborate chat room.
If it's money you're after, why not look at what has and has not worked in your
storied history so far. Virtual malls have proven to be completely ineffective, with
at mart standing empty, except for the occasional tourist lured away from AWGate. Your
precious Education universe, as well as worlds created for universities and colleges,
lie empty and dead, never to be visited again. Even your most recent projects, like
Nettazi, fail to draw in even a hint of revenue. On the other hand, mainstays like AW
and AWTeen continue to draw in hundreds of users on a daily basis. Volunteers like
Alphabit Phalpha, Brant, Bille, and countless others provide events and community
services that keep people coming back. Even employees like Facter, Flagg, and Roland
do all that they can to help make the community a better place, even if it's on their
own time! And all of these things work for one simple reason: it's for the community!
The community can make AW work!
All it takes is turning around and looking at who's behind you. Will Juno care about
AW's community and development? Will Nettaxi? Will NASA or the University of Santa
Cruz or PCDJ.com or some other corporate sponsor down the road? When all is said and
done, when all the deals have past and all the money has been squandered, we will
still be here, supporting everything you do. Why? Simply because we have taken the
time to invest in your product to its fullest. We are the ones who have committed to
making AW the greatest place for people to come and, ultimately, spend their
hard-earned money. We are the ones who have succeeded in keeping this company afloat,
despite all the hardships and bad decisions. And we are the ones who can help you
bring AW into the forefront, where it belongs; where it *needs* to be.
But in order to do that, our voices need to be heard. We need to work together if
you ever want to see this program break out of this cycle of stagnation. Your
concerns must become our concerns, and our concerns must become your concerns. Only
then, will AWCI begin to see true success, and AW will launch into the stratosphere.
Still, the question remains: Are these your concerns? Do the ideas expressed in this
letter, and echoed by hundreds of users before us, even register with you? Because if
they don't, you've essentially told every single person who's ever bought a
citizenship or a world or a t-shirt or a CD, who's ever started a community
organization or a business in AW, that it was all for nothing. You might as well tell
everyone to send you a check for $20 in the mail every year and never even come to AW
at all.
The community can help you, if you are willing to let it. Let us be heard, and
together we can bring AW out of the darkness and into the spotlight where it belongs.
Because *that* should be everyone's primary concern.

Most Sincerely,
Bob Rodehorst
"Goober King" (#103935)

---------------------------------------------
This is the letter I plan on sending to every single person on the AWCI roster.
Whether you like me or not is irrelevant. Whether you believe AWCI has a right to
ignore us or not is irrelevant. Whether you think this letter has a snowball's chance
in hell of making anything happen or not is irrelevant. The only thing that matters
is, if you agree with the statements written above, please show your support by
replying to this message with your cit name and number. If you want, you can add
extra weight to your "signature" by adding your real name, to demonstrate that you
are a real person and not just some random number. In either case, the more people
who sign it, the better chance of us actually being considered.
So please, let's drop all of our petty squabbles just this once, and show AWCI that
we can actually stand united as one for the common good. Because if we can't, then we
are no better than the company we complain about. I still have some faith in my
fellow community members. Don't destroy it.

--
Goober King
Proof that Goobers ARE as dumb as they look.
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

AW GUI Idea

Jul 20, 2001, 12:13pm
Now you know how we feel, J-Boy. Our recommendations have gone unnoticed for YEARS,
and we are very much angered that we've been ignored. Starting to see where we're
coming from now?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
He's usually slow to anger...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

AW GUI Idea

Jul 24, 2001, 7:39pm
Then perhaps it would surprise you to learn that at one point in their storied
history, citizenship purchases made up the *majority* of their income! So why weren't
they listening to us then?! Because they never cared in the first place.

As for WildAW's "death", that wasn't entirely the community's fault. You can't just
build a world, leave it as is, and expect a community to spring to life around it.
There has to be proof that the world is *alive*, meaning things are changing and
going on all the time. It's exactly the same reason why communities in COFMeta,
Atlantis, and a ton of other worlds dried up. Because nothing was ever changing, and
eventually, the novelty wore off. If you want to make worlds active, you have to
*keep* them active.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
He's been gone for four days, so sue :P
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

AW GUI Idea

Jul 25, 2001, 10:18am
"seemed to"... Exactly what kind of input are we talking about here? Feature requests
at Tech Talk don't count, since Roland doesn't make those decisions anyway. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
They listen to one, but they don't listen to many...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

AW GUI Idea

Jul 26, 2001, 12:30am
Heh, well since I don't see it on the Worlds list yet, I'll assume it's nothing more
than a pipe dream for now. In fact, we can use it as a test... if AWDebate ever
opens, then that'll prove (to me, at least) that they're listening to us in some way,
shape, or form. Until then, I shall bitch! :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
This is a test... It's only a test! Give it a rest!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Re: 3.3 Feature list

May 17, 2002, 3:04am
It's pretty simple, chief. You CTRL+Right click on the area you want to
delete, then you hit the delete key. If you want to wipe out multiple
areas, hold down SHIFT while you use CTRL+Right Click, then hit Delete
once you've selected all the areas. I find it hard to believe you never
tried this before...

[View Quote] > Hi everyone:
>
[View Quote]
--
Goober King
Guess it's not common sense after all...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Reflections?

Oct 29, 2002, 8:36pm
That would indeed be cool, but unfortunately, that would require a
little thing called raytracing, which is *horrendously*
processor-intensive to compute. It's certainly not the kind of thing you
can compute in a real-time dynamic environment like AW. :-/

[View Quote]
--
Goober King
Coolness is ahead of the technology...
robrod at prism.net

charter??

Jun 22, 2001, 10:55pm
There is no "NG Charter", the only charter in existence is the one specifically for
the Community NG. No other AW NG has a charter whatsoever, because there's never
really been a reason to. Everyone one pretty much stayed on topic, because they all
knew what the topic was. But because "Community" is so vague, it wound up being a
dumping ground for all kinds of idiotic posts. So, AWCom felt it had to create a
charter to help determine exactly what the "topic" for Community should be.

Of course, now that we have a General Discussion NG to dump our idiotic posts in, it
pretty much renders the Community Charter moot. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
If they have to make a charter for this NG, that would just be sad...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Low Citizen Numbers, would they sell?

Jun 30, 2001, 1:54pm
Not quite, Chuck. When you stop renewing an account, your name stays in the AWCI
database until AWCI gets around to cleaning it out. So, theoretically, you could
abandon your account today, and it'll still say "Chucks Party" on it several years
from now. Not the most efficient of systems, but hey...

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Wow! Something INFORMATIVE in the G.D NG! *gasp*
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Nuns [C&C]

Jul 9, 2001, 12:20am
hehe, I'm not even into Catholicism and I thought that was hilarious... keep em
coming! :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Hey, he enjoys a good yuk every now and then :P
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Re: Townbuilders newsgroup idea

Jul 13, 2001, 2:44pm
Look at it this way, Marcus. If we were to use your logic in another scenario, then
AWCI shouldn't have kept 2.2 when it went to 3.0. It should simply have produced a
statement saying "AW now needs a 3D graphics card in order to work. Please purchase a
3D graphics card if your computer does not already have one before downloading AW
3.0. Thank you." Now, if AWCI had done that, they would have alienated all of their
users who can't afford a 3D video card or whose video card wasn't compatible with
DirectX.

Need another example? Let's say Facter finally releases the new AWCI website, and
it's chock full of cool features. There's just one problem: It only works in IE5.5.
So, using your logic, Facter should put a statement on the website that says "This
site only works in IE5.5. Please download IE5.5 before viewing this webpage. Thank
you." If he did that, he would alienate all the Netscape users (many of whom could be
potential corporate sponsors), as well as anyone else not using IE5.5.

How does this apply to someone who posts in HTML? I would like to think that the
reason you post a message in a newsgroup is so that other people will read it and
respond to it. If you post in HTML, you're essentially saying "This post is in HTML.
Please download a newsreader that can handle HTML posts if your current newsreader
does not, or switch to a different ISP that does not charge by the bandwidth." Now,
do you really want to alienate people from what you're trying to say simply because
you can't stand to post in plain text? I should hope not.

Bottom Line: These newsgroups are in plain text only. If you are uncomfortable with
plain text messages, please find a different newsgroup that allows other formats.
Thank you.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Doesn't care if he alienates the stupid...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

To all the HTML people...

Jul 14, 2001, 2:39pm
Let me ask you guys a simple question: Why do you NEED to post in HTML? What possible
advantage is there to posting a 20K message that could easily only take up 3K? If you
post a url in a plain text message, most newsreaders will automatically convert it to
a link. And if you want to use pictures, you can easily attach them to a plain text
message. So where's the advantage? What practical purpose could posting in HTML have
that it would somehow enhance what you're trying to say?

All I'm looking for is a simple answer. What practical purpose does HTML have in
posting messages? If someone can give me a *valid*, practical reason for why they
need to make a 3K-plain text post into a 20K HTML post, then I'll be satisfied and
you'll never hear from me again on the subject. (And no, "Because it makes it look
better" is not a valid response, since looks are in the eye of the reader. I think a
lot of HTML posts look like crap, thank you.) I await your (hopefully) intelligent
responses.

--
Goober King
This should prove interesting...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  47  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2021. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn