Protecting Children (Wishlist)

Protecting Children // Wishlist

1  2  |

zzed

Jun 15, 2000, 10:54am
I wish there was a better way to protect children in AW especially very young
children who are unaware of the serious nature of some worlds and who may be
tempted to explore them.

One way to achieve this would be to grant a special low rate (or even free )
children's citizenship. This would enable the world server to recognize child
cits and ensure that those worlds did not appear on their world list. Also any
complaints involving children would be easier to deal with.

There may be a lot of other features that could be implemented for children once
AW are able to identify them when they log in. Many parents would feel happier
about letting their children play in AW if they knew that special care was being
taken to protect them.

builderz

Jun 15, 2000, 12:01pm
Or try the idea that many people have suggested (including Eep): have the "Maximum
Rating" (aka World Rating) section (under Options | Settings... | General Tab)
password protected.

[View Quote] > I wish there was a better way to protect children in AW especially very young
> children who are unaware of the serious nature of some worlds and who may be
> tempted to explore them.
>
> One way to achieve this would be to grant a special low rate (or even free )
> children's citizenship. This would enable the world server to recognize child
> cits and ensure that those worlds did not appear on their world list. Also any
> complaints involving children would be easier to deal with.
>
> There may be a lot of other features that could be implemented for children once
> AW are able to identify them when they log in. Many parents would feel happier
> about letting their children play in AW if they knew that special care was being
> taken to protect them.

anthony bathgate

Jun 18, 2000, 8:29pm
OK... Me gots newsreader semi-working. Now to throw my $0.02 onto this...
Being a "child" myself, I can see where your cooming from with the reduced
rates. We just can't seem to find $20. HOWEVER, at least 50% of Activeworlds
citizens are under the age of 18 (from my experiences). AWCI may not make
most of their profit from citizenships, but they still make a good part of
it. Take half of those citizen profits, cut it in half (Giving them 75% of
the original cit profits) or remove that half entirely (50% of original
profits). Not very economical.

Also, children MUST NOT BE SHELTERED. This is where you get lazy bums from.
We hafta get into the real world sometime, and if you adults would let us
get our feet wet, we wouldnt be such screw ups. Heck, my dad's enrolling me
in a computer repair course so next summer, when i can legally take a job, i
can establish a small custom computer/repair buisiness. Meanwhile, everyone
I go to school with is still getting allowances of as much as $75 per week,
and their parents STILL buy them everything they want. Now here comes an
interesting twist of issues... You've got children who are sheltered from
everything (sex, violence, hatred, etc.), and we will naturally realize
we're missing somthing and find out for ourselves. So in effect, you've got
a buncha pre-teens running around supposedly sleeping with every member of
the opposite sex they can find (however, very few of them actually do it,
they just claim they do, but their minds still have a single track, SEX).

This is NOT what we want, is it? Now if you pull the wool from our eyes,
this generation may have marginal success in life, and future generations
certainly will. We arent as dumb and innocent as you were at this age. We
know whats going on. "Protecting children" would in effect ruin our future,
if that's not already done. I live what I preach. If one of you wants to
pick a fight over it, BRING IT ON.

--

--Wing
Citizen 305004

In article <3948d21d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, Zzed <zzed at kabsi.at>
[View Quote] >I wish there was a better way to protect children in AW especially very
young
>children who are unaware of the serious nature of some worlds and who may
be
>tempted to explore them.
>
>One way to achieve this would be to grant a special low rate (or even free
)
>children's citizenship. This would enable the world server to recognize
child
>cits and ensure that those worlds did not appear on their world list. Also
any
>complaints involving children would be easier to deal with.
>
>There may be a lot of other features that could be implemented for children
once
>AW are able to identify them when they log in. Many parents would feel
happier
>about letting their children play in AW if they knew that special care was
being
>taken to protect them.

anthony bathgate

Jun 18, 2000, 8:30pm
> [...]

young
>children who are unaware of the serious nature of some worlds and who may
be
>tempted to explore them.
>
>One way to achieve this would be to grant a special low rate (or even free
)
>children's citizenship. This would enable the world server to recognize
child
>cits and ensure that those worlds did not appear on their world list. Also
any
>complaints involving children would be easier to deal with.
>
>There may be a lot of other features that could be implemented for children
once
>AW are able to identify them when they log in. Many parents would feel
happier
>about letting their children play in AW if they knew that special care was

dzap

Jun 18, 2000, 8:30pm
"Zzed" <zzed at kabsi.at> skrev i meddelandet
news:3948d21d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I wish there was a better way to protect children in AW especially very
young
> children who are unaware of the serious nature of some worlds and who may
be
> tempted to explore them.

- snip -

Under Options / Settings / General there is a "Maximum rating" setting that
prevents you from entering worlds with a higher rating. I don't know if
world owners use this feature enough. Maybe there should be some reminders
posted in the worldbuilders group.

Jonas aka dZap

aasmund gamleseter

Jun 18, 2000, 8:30pm
[View Quote] > I wish there was a better way to protect children in AW especially very young
> children who are unaware of the serious nature of some worlds and who may be
> tempted to explore them.

Don't let them use the web. Its harder to avoid offending stuff on the web than it
is to find it. If you don't want them to experience it, either talk to them and give
them trust, or pull the plug.

> One way to achieve this would be to grant a special low rate (or even free )
> children's citizenship. This would enable the world server to recognize child
> cits and ensure that those worlds did not appear on their world list. Also any
> complaints involving children would be easier to deal with.

Some facts:

1. AWCI treats ALL it's customers as children.

2. If AWCL were to change the fee for (any) citizenship they certainly wouldn't make
it cheaper.

Do you really think AWCL will pay (throug reduced rate) to give extra service?

What would stop everyone from getting kiddie-cits? How do you control that they are
the proper age? And how is this easier than controlling the children's age in the
first place?

Why kill the childrens privilege of being treated the same as grown ups the one
place this is possible?

> There may be a lot of other features that could be implemented for children once
> AW are able to identify them when they log in. Many parents would feel happier
> about letting their children play in AW if they knew that special care was being
> taken to protect them.

Which features would that be? be more specific...Is your goal to make the parents
happy or the children safe?

AAsmund1

jeiden

Jun 18, 2000, 8:30pm
Great idea, but how are we gonna get AWCOM to do it?

[View Quote]

alphacentuari

Jun 18, 2000, 8:31pm
One bad point to this is that adults that don't really care for this kind of
material could pretend as a child and get a special low rate, without AW
even realizing that this is an adult...

AC

[View Quote]

david jones

Jun 19, 2000, 9:46am
This offers no real protection against anything because anybody can easily
just open up the settings and change their maximum rating.

just in

Jun 19, 2000, 9:47am
Forget protecting kids from adults...

A better idea would be a way to protect adults from kids! Think about it.

Justin

[View Quote]

anthony bathgate (wing)

Jun 20, 2000, 10:34am
[View Quote] Many children are quite intimidated by settings. "To change your citizen
name, go to the options menu and hit citizen" "Wheres the options menu"
In fact, most of them know more about Macs then Pee Cees cuz they sue em
in school.

--Wing

john viper

Jun 20, 2000, 3:39pm
....funny, wherever I go all I hear of is "my kids can do anything on the computer"...

_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net <-- Coming Soon!
[View Quote]

icey

Jun 20, 2000, 3:39pm
--------------5C463475720EED1B9742FF09

Are we doing what the net wants or are we making the net as we like better? Are
we yoking the oxen or is the oxen yoking us? You know the net is unsafe! Welcome
to the net...I am not sure I am believing in the Net God , the net is brand new
because a few years ago many things were not possible, from now on I am sure we
will have some responsabilities
icey

[View Quote] [View Quote] --------------5C463475720EED1B9742FF09

or are we making the net as we like better? Are we yoking the oxen or is
the oxen yoking us? You know the net is unsafe! Welcome to the net...I
am not sure I am believing in the Net God , the net is brand new because
a few years ago many things were not possible, from now on I am sure we
will have some responsabilities</font></font>
[View Quote] --------------5C463475720EED1B9742FF09--

tkafader

Jun 20, 2000, 6:48pm
--------------3940B118D97A96137B222F6A

I think we should ask Al Gore, After all, wasn't it he who said "...I
am the father of the internet..."?

snickering,

Terry

[View Quote] > Are we doing what the net wants or are we making the net as we like
> better? Are we yoking the oxen or is the oxen yoking us? You know the
> net is unsafe! Welcome to the net...I am not sure I am believing in
> the Net God , the net is brand new because a few years ago many things
> were not possible, from now on I am sure we will have some
> responsabilities
> icey

[View Quote] --------------3940B118D97A96137B222F6A

I think we should ask Al Gore,&nbsp; After all, wasn't it he who said "...I
am the father of&nbsp; the internet..."?
[View Quote] --------------3940B118D97A96137B222F6A--

david jones

Jun 20, 2000, 6:49pm
Yeah there are a lot like that. But most would change the setting without
giving it a second thought.

anthony bathgate (wing)

Jun 20, 2000, 8:30pm
yeah, but have you ever watched a kid on the computer? (Heck, i'm a
genius, 13 years old, and I've ahd Win98 for a whole day now and I still
can't get used to it)

--Wing

[View Quote]

icey

Jun 20, 2000, 8:30pm
--------------06C5E154C60730707D8FF1EA

LOL
icey

[View Quote] > I think we should ask Al Gore, After all, wasn't it he who said "...I
> am the father of the internet..."?
>
> snickering,
>
> Terry

[View Quote] --------------06C5E154C60730707D8FF1EA

LOL
[View Quote] --------------06C5E154C60730707D8FF1EA--

myrth

Jun 21, 2000, 11:00am
heh... you said genius... heh

-Myrth

Quick, someone find a needle! Unless you're Beethoven, I don't think
you're in any position to use "genius" and "13 years old" in the same
sentence. :P

And since when has it taken just one day to get used to an Operating
System? I doubt even the people who coded it could get used to it that
fast :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Wonders how Wing fits his head through the door...
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/heat/318/index.html

zzed

Jun 23, 2000, 6:26pm
[View Quote] > I think we should ask Al Gore, After all, wasn't it he who said "...I am the
> father of the internet..."?

OMG it will give a whole new meaning to the term Gorean LOL

terry kafader

Jun 26, 2000, 12:25am
LOL!!!!

[View Quote]

birdmike

Jul 12, 2000, 11:18pm
I want a password protection feature implemented in AW to protect children
from adult worlds and adult content.

--
-Mike Nelson-
AW Cit BirdMike (292200)

Umm, isn't that what Private worlds are for? If you don't want certain
people getting into your world, you make it Private and only put the
people you want to enter the world in the Enter Rights list. Besides,
how are you supposed to know who's 12 and who's 20? As long as they find
the password, it doesn't matter how old you are.

I'm sorry, but there's only one thing that can protect children from
these kinds of things, and that's parental intervention. It shouldn't be
COF's responsibility to babysit these kids and decide what they can and
cannot see and hear. The minute that starts to happen, you can bet I'll
never be seen here again! :P
Censorship is the root of all stupidity...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

builderz

Jul 13, 2000, 3:24pm
How can a parent possibly watch a child 24/7, though? It's nearly impossible. I
agree with BirdMike's idea. It wouldn't be that hard to implement (you can make a
simple password protected text box in Visual Basic in one minute's time). I see no
reason why this SHOULDN'T be added to the feature set. It will give parents one
less thing to worry about.

-Builderz

[View Quote] > AW already has one that works every time... It's called 'Parental
> Supervision'... (get off your (generically speaking... I'm sure this doesn't
> apply to you personally...) duff and go see what the kid(s) are up to...)
>
> It always amazes me how people want software to deal with issues they
> themselves can't seem (are too lazy) to handle... If a Parent hasn't the
> 'resources' to prevent their kids from viewing content inappropriate for their
> age then why would they expect software to...???
>
> My 2 cents... (feel free to ignore or argue the point instead of checking in
> on where 'the kids' are viewing... :-) )

[View Quote]

nornny

Jul 13, 2000, 7:19pm
I think the point is, it SHOULD be worried about by a parent. A responsible
parent, in my ideal, does not need passwords. He/She only needs trust and
good supervision. If a parent teaches a child that watching porn is not
allowed (not neccesarily wrong, btw), and enforces what he/she said, I child
would have no reason to watch pornographic worlds because the child respects
the parents enough not to do it. Of course, as a budding teenager, you ARE
bound to break the rules, and that's okay, as long as you get punished and
it never happens again. If this happens, no passwords are even needed to be
on the mind of other citizens. But of course, it is, because no preteen or
teenager will hold hormones over what their parents tell them. BUT, with
passwords created, now it makes it seem like AWLD is more at fault that a
child breaks through a security measure and sees porno worlds. Now, AWLD
will be blamed for not enough security measures on the part of the world,
and it continues on and on like that. Look, if a child is 6, a parent HAS to
be watching that child on the net anyways, that's common sense. But if a
child is 12, he now has the trust of his parents, and you know his hormones
are going to break the trust. Passwords won't prevent anything, and it will
be infringing on some rights issues, and I don't think AW is ready for that.
Comments appreciated, as always. :) I love debating anyways. :)

Nornny

[View Quote]

birdmike

Jul 14, 2000, 9:53am
Although I agree with you in the whole thing that password protection SHOULD
not be necessary, I think that as a legality it is required. I am not at
all familiar on the subject, but aren't adult websites REQUIRED to have
password protection, or at least a warning of the content on the webpage?

If AW won't implement a password protection feature, they should at least
have a pop-up alert every time you visit an adult world stating that the
world is an adult world and that children should leave right away.

Nornny, just because in an ideal world PW protection isn't needed, and smart
kids can find a way around it, AW would actually be making an effort to
protect children. Don't take this personally, it's just part of a
discussion.

=?iso-8859-1?q?eep=b2?=

Jul 14, 2000, 9:54am
The point is, like many of AW's 'features', the world rating system was done half-assed (probably requested by Lucrezia to go along with AWCI's attempt into virtual education), but she just didn't get the whole picture as usual...as are Rick and JP.

[View Quote] > Umm, isn't that what Private worlds are for? If you don't want certain
> people getting into your world, you make it Private and only put the
> people you want to enter the world in the Enter Rights list. Besides,
> how are you supposed to know who's 12 and who's 20? As long as they find
> the password, it doesn't matter how old you are.
>
> I'm sorry, but there's only one thing that can protect children from
> these kinds of things, and that's parental intervention. It shouldn't be
> COF's responsibility to babysit these kids and decide what they can and
> cannot see and hear. The minute that starts to happen, you can bet I'll
> never be seen here again! :P

nornny

Jul 14, 2000, 7:41pm
Nothing's taken personally here, Bird, don't worry. :) I'll only be offended
when you start...well, offending me. :) Justifying what you believe won't
get anyone enraged, unless it comes packed with insults. :) Adilt websites
are only required to have a warning saying "If I am under 18, it is illegal
for me to view this site." Most go a small step further by offering an
alternative of entering the site or going to a "good" site. Once you enter,
most professional "adult" sites have a Visitor's section, which gives you a
peek of what the site offers, (which btw, is WAY too much already if you ask
me), and the members section, which you have to pay for to get in through a
credit card, has all the uncencored stuff. So, it's kinda like cigarette
companies, you can throw all the books at them, but they find ways to get
people seeing and making money. :) If there is any TRUE porn worlds in AW,
they would probably be acting like this also.

Btw, I don't look at adult sites to get my info. lol. I was at Washington DC
at the time this whole debate was going on. :) I was able to talk to some
webmasters and politicians on the subject and attend some press conferences.

Nornny

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 14, 2000, 7:42pm
"I'v no doubt your kid(s) never act their age" Tyrell, I'm only 17, let alone have kids.
Actually, I don't even have a girlfriend (but that's besides the point ;o). I was just
voicing my opinion on the matter.

-Builderz

[View Quote] > I guess I'm from the 'old school'... I grew up (and then raised my kids) with the
> understanding that if something wasn't allowed then I'd (they'd) better not do it...
> Of course, being a kid (at one time) I'd sometimes see how far I could get away with
> ignoring the rules. I found it was a lot more enjoyable to do as instructed then try
> and get away with something I knew wasn't acceptable.
>
> If a child is raised properly (and I'm not saying kids won't behave contrary from time
> to time. At those times however, if the parent is doing their job instead of watching
> TV, corrective action can be administered) then it shouldn't be necessary to watch
> them '24/7'... The fact that 'your' kid(s) don't listen when they'r told not to do
> something isn't something ActiveWorlds should have to deal with...
>
> The parents that try and pass their responsibility off on others (like School or
> Software Companies) are the same ones who wring their hands when the kid turns 18 (or
> whatever the age of responsibility is now-a-days) and end up in jail. Of course it's
> everyone fault but theirs...
>
> (again, this isn't 'aimed' at you. I'v no doubt your kid(s) never act their age... :-)
> )
>
> --
> Tyrell - Alpha Prime - 21.8s 457e 90 - "Mundus vult decipi"
> "No matter where you go...there you are."
> http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html
> http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html
> ICQ UN - 272905
> All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

muggie

Jul 14, 2000, 7:42pm
My two cents :)
I highly agree that children should be supervised when on the net, and when reached a
certain age should be trusted to do what they were taught. But, in these times of kids
being brought up it's just not that way, parents use the internet as another "babysitter".
It keeps the child busy so they can do something else. I do think the password should be
implemented into the browser, not to keep the "untrustworthy" kids out, but to keep the
trustworthy kids trustworthy.
Think of it this way, we lock our doors at night....is it because we think a lock will
keep a burglar out?...no, it's to keep the honest people honest.

Muggie :))