Decleration of Independence (AW) (Community)

Decleration of Independence (AW) // Community

1  |

john

Jul 20, 2003, 5:34pm
The Lady has formed her own AW Decleration fo independence!!!!!
http://alpha.b0x.com/aw/awdeclaration.htm

<Sarcasm>

Isn't this great!!! This is gonna work!

</Sarcasm>

baro

Jul 20, 2003, 6:15pm
That site seems to have declared independance from the internet, won't
load.

ryan

Jul 20, 2003, 6:28pm
The site loads for me..I can't seem to understand the logic of it...

Ryan

[View Quote] > That site seems to have declared independance from the internet, won't
> load.

baro

Jul 20, 2003, 6:41pm
Maybe you could post it here? Nothing I do will get it to load. Just sits
and sits and sits.

baro

Jul 20, 2003, 6:49pm
I got someone to send me the text, other people are having trouble too.

"AW's Declaration of Independence

The first thing that needs to be done is setting up a Declaration of
Independence. Everyone needs to work on this. Don't be shy. This will
state why we should be allowed to make our own decisions and govern
ourselves, instead of being ruled by the existing system. Be aware that
this might cause conflict or some type of online war, although, I truly hope
that can be avoided and things can be worked out peacefully. It is
imperative that our Declaration of Independence be logical and based on
statements that AW Citizens would agree with.

Our Declaration should state why we should be able to govern ourselves,
problems with the current system, how our system will work better, be signed
by as many citizens as we can.

It should exclude saying things should be different just because they are
not fair (within reason), saying things that are against the law, saying
things that would destroy or hurt the AW environment.

After that, we can work on the constitution.

In order to do all of this, we need to get the word out to as many folks as
we can to work on 1) writing their declaration, 2) submitting and/or sharing
it at the meeting. The current system is absolutely is atrocious, and is
hurting the AW environment. Send this information to as many citizens and
former citizens as you can. Try to get former citizens to renew their
citizenship in order to bring about positive change to AW. I'll send
notices for a meeting to draft our Declaration. I am in great hopes that AW
leaders will step up and give us input when the meeting time is called,
especially the older citizens. You know who you are. I can't think of a
more meaningful contribution, older citizens, than you helping us make our
first Independence document and being there when you are called to aid AW."

Wow, this is pretty much the tops of idiocy I've yet seen in AW. No I mean
it's a great idea!! Let's all declare independance from AW. heck, let's
also write to our ISP's and declare independance too, wich will mean FREE
INTERNET FOR ALL!!! Then I'll declare independance from the hydro company,
which means I'll have free electricity!! Because it's not like AW, ISP,
power company will just ignore our declaration and cut us off, no no, it
will be just like the US rebellion from England. Online services and
software are just like countries.. aparently. Hmmm I want a better version
of windows on my computer, I'll write microsoft and tell them I've declared
independance from windows, which means they'll have to make me a better
version just for me!!

I must applaud you TheLady or who ever wrote this, it's one of the most
batshit insane things I've read in a while.

stecloud

Jul 20, 2003, 6:57pm
Independance form what, that damn England world?

joeman

Jul 20, 2003, 7:09pm
She speaks on an "online war"... We'll, we're armed to the teeth in a'odd;
so all I can say is "yay!" But, AWCom has the biggest weapon of all: the
universe ban ;).

-Joe

[View Quote]

brock

Jul 20, 2003, 8:43pm
I've seen many idiotic things on AW.... This takes the cake.

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader

[View Quote]

john

Jul 20, 2003, 8:49pm
I knew everyone would like it being sent here from news.andras.net's
AW.Community NG... lol!

~John

[View Quote]

imagine

Jul 20, 2003, 9:00pm
Can we declair independence from the lady?

Imagine

[View Quote]

legion

Jul 20, 2003, 9:14pm
I agree... the lady is so damned annoying.

--
Legion

"I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
17th-century French philosopher, Earth
[View Quote]

maki

Jul 20, 2003, 9:20pm
you know what's interesting? i really don't see anyone else in aw doing such
things as you. there's hardly anyone else out there, or at least anyone who
really cares enough to speak towards it, that are trying to declare
'independence', whining about privacy, tourists, basically saying that we
should rebel against AWI, the rightful owners of this software.

as everyone always says in reply to your posts - aw isn't 'real life' - we
don't need a government here, we have one, the administrators, the AWI
staff. 'conflict or online war'? 'worked out peacefully'? 'govern
ourselves'? i suppose that means you're also going to govern(take on
responsibility for) AWI's bills, emails, programming/development, and other
issues?

most everyone else seems to be just fine with the way AW is run at the
moment - sure, maybe some people don't like that tourists aren't allowed
everywhere - but those people can apparently learn to get over it, as with
other things. just like you're going to have to, otherwise, there really
seems to be no point for you to stay here since you hate everything here.

maki
[View Quote]

brock

Jul 20, 2003, 9:53pm
I second that motion.

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader
[View Quote]

the lady

Jul 20, 2003, 11:20pm
I didn't take the site down, that site shut itself down. I uploaded this at
a new url http://www.angelfire.com/moon/creations0/aw/awdeclaration.htm

From what I understand, one thing just as important as considering
declaration is AW is a company with customers and investors, although I've
been unable to get information about how they receive their funding.

AW is my family, (I know others feel the same way) and I think it very
important that all necessary steps to ensure job security of its employees
and a working program to the citizens be recognized through the process of a
democracy at all times. Let's face it, without bucks, they and we don't
prosper.

You seem to be getting "democracy" confused with "capitalism". Democracy
is the governmental system, while capitalism is the economic system.
Granted, the line between the two has blurred considerably over the
years, but they still remain distinct.

As for "declaring independence" from AWI, that can already be done, and
already has been done by several enterprising individuals. The process
of declaring independence from AWI is called "buying a uniserver". If
AWI disturbs you that much, you are free to exercise that option and
take your virtual family with you. And, as I'm sure you can gather, many
people here would whole-heartedly support such a move...

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Movin' on up
awnews at awnews.org

pc hamster

Jul 21, 2003, 12:57am
[View Quote] How can you expect to understand a document (or it's "logic") written by
someone who has some SERIOUS mental issues? That woman needs a REALITY
CHECK!!!

Ohh wait....She's already had a few of those issued to her.

I wouldn't mind seeing her declare her independence *FROM* AW....

Cheers for now :-)

PC Hamster

---

pc hamster

Jul 21, 2003, 12:59am
[View Quote] Not to mention ACCOUNT DELETION too.... :-)

PC Hamster

---

pc hamster

Jul 21, 2003, 1:08am
[View Quote] I wished you would've KEPT it down PERMANENTLY as the "logic" (if you can
call it that) makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!!

Then too, the text didn't make any sense either. Just a bunch of words
jumbled together to make sentences and paragraphs. That all.

Just my opinion....

PC Hamster

---

builderz

Jul 21, 2003, 2:41am
See my comments below:

[View Quote] LOL, sites rarely (if ever) shut themselves down (I should now, I host
them). Care to give us the real reason? Didn't comply with the host's
AUP? Spamming? A DoS attack on the site? Accidental deletion? Not enough
bandwidth?

> From what I understand, one thing just as important as considering
> declaration is AW is a company with customers and investors, although I've
> been unable to get information about how they receive their funding.

AW isn't run by a publicly traded company anymore, but you can check out
AWC's old SEC filings and stock quotes for financial information.

> AW is my family, (I know others feel the same way) and I think it very
> important that all necessary steps to ensure job security of its employees
> and a working program to the citizens be recognized through the process of a
> democracy at all times. Let's face it, without bucks, they and we don't
> prosper.

Job security in today's economy? AW is your "family?" Do you realize how
many former AW employees there are now? Even Ron Britvich (Protagonist)
doesn't work on AW anymore. I know just as many people that would rather
see AWI be taken over/bought out/acquired and run by someone/something
else than have AW be run by AWI. Oh, and I wouldn't be worried about AW
having "bucks." Read this (taken from
http://www.activeworlds.com/info/index.asp):

"Our Uniserver licensees include such organizations as Boeing, Carlsberg
Beer, Centropolis Studios, Philips, NASA, Siemens and even an agency of
the United States Government. Some world licensees include the
University of Colorado, Scandinavia Online, the Canadian Ministry of
Education, the University of London, Telecom PTT Switzerland and the
Amsterdam Stock Exchange."

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

Finally someone got around to saying it!!!

Its like... I know were going to go attack AWI... do you forget that even if
your a citizen, you void absolutly every right you have under normal
conditions by the EULA if your out to cause upset... then AWI clicks what is
it now...

Universe > Citizens > Your Citnum > Lookup > Delete?
Avatar Click > Delete?

Thats like 4 clicks and 6 keys (or just clicking on your av) to wipe you, or
anyone else out of AW's VR existance forever, and failing that they can
Universe eject you for life without even having to raise a sweat, you can be
glad that Rick and Bill are pretty decent people or you would end up with a
significant majority of AW being universe ejected for things such as small
vandalism etc...

It's like this literally.... the time between AWI thinking 'Hmmmm die' and
you being ejected from AW forever is about a half of a second.

ihnk

Jul 21, 2003, 3:15am
this ideas cute. but you cant carry out everything you learn in your US
history class.

but a mock government would be king of fun, could be a nice little universal
RPG.

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jul 21, 2003, 7:24am
cybertown.com had something similar to that, it was the "morphs" vs. the
"loyalists". It was interesting, and everyone in the community got
involved.. or just experienced it. It was two governments that battled
eachother I believe.

"the lady" <thelady263414 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3f1b3ff5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I didn't take the site down, that site shut itself down. I uploaded
> this at a new url
> http://www.angelfire.com/moon/creations0/aw/awdeclaration.htm
>
> From what I understand, one thing just as important as considering
> declaration is AW is a company with customers and investors, although
> I've been unable to get information about how they receive their
> funding.
>
> AW is my family, (I know others feel the same way) and I think it very
> important that all necessary steps to ensure job security of its
> employees and a working program to the citizens be recognized through
> the process of a democracy at all times. Let's face it, without
> bucks, they and we don't prosper.

They get their funding from their customers. You still don't understand
that treating a company like a government/state-nation isn't going to work,
do you? You have no way to put pressure on a company other than not paying
it. And if you don't pay AWI, your citizenship will expire (but hey, you'll
finally achieve your "independence" from AWI, isn't that great!), they lose
$70 and won't care.

You should be carefull about what you do, these days someone might start an
enquiry about you based on all your revolutionary statements...

KAH

john

Jul 21, 2003, 9:12am
Aye to that!
[View Quote]

john

Jul 21, 2003, 9:13am
Maki: That is because The Lady has a problem with defining reality.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Jul 22, 2003, 2:06pm
Which side supported Cybertown crashing every time you turn round? :/

"ferruccio" <startrek3 at earthlink.net> wrote this (news:3f1bb150$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com) in community on 21 Jul 2003:

> cybertown.com had something similar to that, it was the "morphs" vs. the
> "loyalists". It was interesting, and everyone in the community got
> involved.. or just experienced it. It was two governments that battled
> eachother I believe.

facter

Jul 30, 2003, 12:05pm
Been there, done that...