kah // User Search

1  ...  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  78  |

lost?

Nov 3, 2002, 4:44pm
"ncc 71854" <NCC-71854 at USS-Venture.Starfleet.UFP> wrote in
news:3dc4e105 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Get out of the NGs and go back playing around in AWTeen you little
> immature arrogant and disrespectful piece of biowaste. We are tired of
> seeing your bullshit.

And I'm really tired of seeing your mindless flames and personal attacks. I
never released your ISP's abuse contact, but here it is anyway:
abuse at t-ipnet.de

If anyone thinks they've been spammed, attacked, etc by NCC, send them a
mail (be polite, use correct spelling and attach complete posts including
the offending content, including headers) and they'll deal with it.

NCC, I didn't want to do this, but you're not getting any less annoying and
I'm just sick of your flames, man.

KAH

lost?

Nov 4, 2002, 7:54pm
"ananas" <vha at oct31.de> wrote in news:3DC6BE11.B22C5CA5 at oct31.de:

> hm, I excpected some at jgaa.com thing ;)

Lol

KAH

Pat on the back award (free to all)

Nov 3, 2002, 4:48pm
"ivie" <carrey at gamewood.net> wrote in news:3dc49a64.22514729
at news.activeworlds.com:

> I made this to award myself for things I have accomplished. I award
> myself for finally finishing a hard build. For making that one object
> finally look right and works right. For having over 200 flower
> objects. For finally learning how to do those AW commands lol. For
> anything that I feel good about. For being able to see long enough to
> do any of this.
>
> We all need to reward ourselves and not depend on others to do it for
> us. We know in our hearts that we are good at what we do. So why
> dont we just give ourselves a "Pat on the back" and love ourselves. :
> )
>
> to get this award for yourself go to jocarey 2.46S 2.01E 0.00a 266

<rant type="text/sarcastic">
AAAH! It's an evil, heartbreaking award!!! BOOOOHOOOHOOOO!!
</rant>

Nice to hear that you're getting a good builder :-))

KAH

The Game now offers live BINGO!

Nov 5, 2002, 8:23pm
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3dc83e6c at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Your getting very close to causing Flaggs inbox to be full...Kindly
> advertise somewhere else. (Hold a sign up infront of a train)

This time it was a completely legitimate announcement about an added
feature to his world. He's obviously learnt from his previous mistake that
caused a lot of dislike, don't give him a hard time when he's "playing by
the rules"...

This is Getting Ridiculous...

Nov 8, 2002, 4:53pm
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3dcc0719 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Um... all moderating is retroactive. You can't delete posts from
> people who haven't posted yet. :)

Lol, you got him there ;-)) Let's call it pseudo-retroactive then.

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 8, 2002, 4:52pm
E N Z O and friends, I appreciate the effort you do to remove offencive
posts very much, but please stop doing things that reindex the articles. It
creates a lot of trouble, like making me lose all data about posts that
I've read/not read/etc, makes me have to redownload everything (this also
uses much bandwidth over at your place), and is pretty annoying. If you
want to delete a post, please do it the way it's always been done which
doesn't cause any reindexing.

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 8, 2002, 11:03pm
"nornny11" <Nornny1 at attbi.com> wrote in
news:3dcc24ff$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I don't think there is a way of doing it without re-indexing. :) I've
> never owned a newsgroup so I wouldn't know, but I think ENZO mentioned
> that one of the consequences for deleting entire threads (or even lots
> of posts, I guess) is that the server would have to reindex. Again,
> just a rumor. But that's what you pay for fighting so much. :)

There is, all the other times posts have been deleted there haven't been
any reindexes. Also, according to the quote from Calpantera Builderz posted
in g.d, the reindexing is a bug in the newsserver software. Reindexing is a
really evil thing to do on an NNTP server, article numbers and messageids
are supposed to stay the same from they were posted to they're deleted. If
it has to reindex, I suggest they get other software.

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 8, 2002, 11:10pm
"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3dcc3869 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why are you always so concerned with bandwidth? :-P It's no big
> deal...really.
>
> ...and your using Xnews right? There's probably an option somewhere
> in there that allows you to customize the number of posts downloaded
> upon subscription.
> I used it before and there's thousands of options. :-0

Bandwidth isn't really such a big deal to *me* (and obviously *you*), but
to many people it *is* (imagine downloading 20k, or even just 500 headers
on 56k or ISDN). Anyway, the worst hit would be on the AWI's bandwidth (and
the server performance, must take quite a bit of CPU power and memory)
which agains means a hit on the speed of traffic to and from the server.

Yes, there probably is a function for that, but I'm not going to enable it
:-D I like having all the headers, but I don't like having to download them
again every other day, only because their article number changed (which it
shouldn't).

Reindexing is against the concept of how news and news articles work
anyway, it should be avoided at all cost (especially on a server like this
one which doesn't drop old posts).

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 9, 2002, 12:16pm
"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3dcc8650 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'm on 56k and when I used to use Xnews (which imho still pales in
> comparison to OE...hehe) it only took me about a minute to download
> the community NG headers.
>
> As for the bandwidth usage on AWI's side, I think they kinda expected
> that it would be used, hence the reason they bought relatively good
> servers that can handle a lot of hits. I don't think a few people
> downloading a couple kilobytes of newsgroup headers will hurt much.
>
> hehe, I've just came to a conclusion. We in the NG's are never
> satisfied! We cried for some sort of moderator and now we have one.
> But now it takes a couple of reindexes to do the job and people are up
> in arms. :-P True that reindexing should be avoided, but right now
> I'll take any little consequence to clean up the mess we call the
> community newsgroup. --

I took the lenght of your headers (717 bytes) and multiplied them by the
number of posts (22447). That's 16094499 bytes of headers if all posts have
the same header lenght as your's (some have longer, some have shorter, so
this is just to get an idea of it). 16094499/1024/1024 = ~15.348. So 15MB
of headers. Okay, there must be an error with this, but still it's quite a
lot. And with the overhead of NNTP commands it becomes even more.

And why is OE better than XNews? OE crashes all the time, doesn't work
right, has strange behaviour, is vulnerable to all sorts of virus attacks,
etc whilst the only problem I have with XNews is that it sometimes crashes
under heavy system load. ;-))

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 9, 2002, 12:19pm
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3dcc93a5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Then who has the superior news reader? I use outlook express. I can
> configure my news reader to do it. Outlook Express is available on
> every machine. So the way I see it, you got a choice to use your
> non-superior news reader or Outlook Express. Microsoft sucks, and I
> feel like I'm eating poison when I promote their products, but their
> news reader is okay. So in conclusion, it's not Enzo's fault. Bear
> with it till they get the software fixed, or get a different reader.
> :)

It's not enzos fault, it's the DNews peoples' fault. It's not the function
of a news client to make reindexes less painfull! And OE isn't available on
all machines, only on all windows (98+, 95 doesn't have OE) installations.

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 10, 2002, 11:08am
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3dcd627d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> AW is a PC-based product... But anyways, for those who want to shell
> out money for an emulator, it is also available for Macintosh. I've
> used it. And Netscape, which Lara posted a solution on, is available
> for Linux, and that takes care of 99% of AW users and probably ALL of
> the newsgroup users.
>
> If the mods stop moderating, they're likely not to start back up again
> once they get a new build of Dnews. And I think the newsgroups just
> got about 100% better when the moderators became active. I don't want
> that to stop. So either they stop moderating, or we live with the
> reindexing until they can get their Dnews fixed.

I don't want them to stop moderating, just stop using the commands that
cause reindexes. As I understand it, the command for deleting threads is
the sinner, so why not use a (little) bit longer and delete induvidual
posts? This would be no trouble at all if they stopped going back and
deleting old threads, instead focusing on getting rid of NEW offensive
posts.

KAH

Stop reindexing!

Nov 13, 2002, 12:28pm
"ryan jacob" <Padfoot at dog.com> wrote in
news:3dce9c21$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I don't think it is their fault...

Who's is it then? A poltergeist?

KAH

Getting Along

Nov 10, 2002, 11:35am
"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in news:3dcdb79e at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> http://www.mts.net/~sfris/aw/Community_Newsgroup_Mascot.jpg

This is more like the real situation:

http://www.3drealms.com/max/images/0601_12b.jpg

KAH

fw: New bot site open!

Nov 14, 2002, 3:39pm
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3dd29c6c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Another reason why Netscape lost the browser war. 8)

But fear not, for Netscape shall own you again! NS6 is great, ten times
better than IE, even when it's acting up. And NS7 is in beta now...

KAH

fw: New bot site open!

Nov 15, 2002, 8:49pm
"goober king" <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> wrote in news:3DD42B36.4070101
at utn.cjb.net:

> Umm... NS7 was released a while ago, dude... Get with the times! :P

Is it worth the upgrade from 6.2?

KAH

fw: New bot site open!

Nov 18, 2002, 9:47pm
"j b e l l" <jbell at kmfdm.com> wrote in news:3dd81c43$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> w00t!
>
> Linux Trovalds = G0D!

MUAHAHAHA! I'm 1/4 finnish! (Linus Torvalds is finnish).

KAH

fw: New bot site open!

Nov 19, 2002, 5:17pm
"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in news:3dd98b4f at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> ...and the "Geek of the Century" award goes to.. *drum roll*
>
> *open envelope*
>
> KAH!!!
>

> ;-P lol j/k KAH

MOOOOO ):()! I won! ;-))

KAH

new face cam in AW 3.4

Nov 17, 2002, 1:03pm
"technozeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com> wrote in
news:3dd6df85 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Anybody know of a way to edit a newsgroup post "after" it's already
> sent? I know I should probalby proof read them, but I never think of
> that before clicking the "Send" button. That word "predd" was
> supposed to be "press" but it looks like I missed the "s" key.

No, that's not how NNTP works. Just post a reply with "Oops, typo, I meant
foo not bar".

KAH

Aboutthe new Browser...

Nov 16, 2002, 11:37am
"ncc 71854" <NCC-71854 at USS-Venture.Starfleet.UFP> wrote in
news:3dd5d47e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> It's not made by robbie. It's the skybox from AWgate, called
> sha_sky1.rwx, he just renamed it and called it his own creation.

No, it's not the same. Brant was referring to the Nox skybox, and it's not
the same as in AWGate.

KAH

Re: FYI

Nov 15, 2002, 8:51pm
"chiram seawing" <Seawing at Planet-Safira.com> wrote in news:3dd431bf$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> SORRY to SEE that YOU are LEAVING, i HOPE that YOU reconsider!!
>
> Seriously though... maybe you should um instead of throwing a fit on the
> newsgroups, email a complaint to AW....
>
> And maybe you shouldn't let just one person ruin your VR life...

That this is a reply to a more than one year old post is just my newsreader
putting it in the same thread due to the subject being the same, right? lol

KAH

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 20, 2002, 6:19pm
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3ddbe575$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Only if it's a long post. Jusy get a better newsreader. =P

Nah, HTML is evil in news posts. So a good newsreader won't support it. It
was introduced to NNTP by an evil company as well, making it really eeevil.

KAH

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 20, 2002, 7:54pm
"bowen" <thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com.ANTISPAM> wrote in
news:3ddbfd46 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Define a "good" newsreader. The ones bundled with mozilla and
> netscape support HTML.

That's because they need to fight the evilness more than any other, so to
convert the people used to evil news practices, they need to provide some
support for it. In my view a good newsreader is one that is 100% compliant
with NNTP standards and USENET/news good practice by default.

KAH

Poor behavior of beta testers

Nov 26, 2002, 9:13pm
"chiram seawing" <Seawing at Planet-Safira.com> wrote in
news:3de2b1ae$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> no offense to AW, but I don't really think it was too wise of them to
> let everyone that emailed them into the beta heh... didn't the
> question that was something like "why do you want to be a beta tester"
> say something about the personality?

I emailed them an application (after Calpantera's post) but I didn't get in
:-(( Maybe I would've if I wrote that I was a newbie and complete computer-
illiterate instead of telling them that I actually know quite a bit about
computer graphics, D3D programming, etc...

KAH

Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups (4th Edition)

Nov 28, 2002, 8:17pm
"goober king" <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> wrote in
news:3DE5C9E3.5060800 at utn.cjb.net:

> Don't look now, but it's another edition of the NG2tNGs! That's right,
> the Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups!
><<snip>>

Gah! I'm not in it anymore :-((

KAH

Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups (4th Edition)

Nov 29, 2002, 4:26pm
"kah" <kah at kahnews.cjb.net> wrote in
news:Xns92D4E5EF6C180kahatkahnewsdotcjbdo at 64.94.241.201:

> Gah! I'm not in it anymore :-((

Which means nuclear winter in Goobertown, as you probably guessed. *Presses
big red button and lights go red with annoying alarms going off*

KAH

A lesson in Lag.

Dec 11, 2002, 5:24pm
"kellee" <kellee at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3df6efdc at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> and TVs with an update of less than 40..... *shudder*
>
> Its even worse when you have a visitor from some where other than
> America .

That depends on your download speed, even though AW's downloading is
especially slow (stupid idea to use IE for it).

KAH

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 13, 2002, 5:29pm
"equin0x" <xeroer at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3df94551$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> so it didnt work. stop complaining geez. I aint online long enough to
> learn about newsgroups.

In that case, don't post. HTML in news posts is evil anyway.

KAH

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 14, 2002, 12:09pm
"anarkissed" <anarkissed at nospam.alt.2600.net> wrote in
news:3dfa977f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Doesn't anyone realize he was trying to hijack everyone's browser by
> forcing a link to open without your permission?
> He was trying to set up an html script that forces your browser to go
> to a pre-specified link, the first step in hacking via usenet posts.
> Maybe his link wouldn't have had malicious activeX scripting but
> nevertheless he had no business even trying and had he succeeded he
> would have been turfed from this news server probably permanently if
> not had his citizenship in AW revoked. Be glad he's not only stupid
> enough to think that prank funny but too stupid to pull it off.

Well, actually I think he just tried posting a HTML link, not quite as
malicious as ActiveX controls. Still pretty stupid, though, and off-topic
as well.

KAH

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 15, 2002, 1:28pm
"goober king" <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> wrote in
news:3DFBA2BD.7060200 at utn.cjb.net:

> Umm, Netscape can do the same thing, and I'm sure other newsreaders
> out there, such as XNews can do the same as well. (Care to clarify,
> KAH?)

XNews can do it, yup. You can even have groups from different servers open
at the same time (it's got a taskbar-like toolbar at the bottom of the main
window which allows you to switch). http://xnews.newsguy.com/

KAH

Protest - where is AWNEWS

Dec 12, 2002, 12:57pm
"wizard myrddin" <wizard at rdescape.co.uk> wrote in
news:3df86390 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> As a extra footnote:
>
> As you proberly where running a older version of nuke I take it you
> did run the upgrade program to convert your old database to V6
> phpnuke?
>
> It is provided in the V6 program.
> If you did not you are beating your head against the wall.

AWNews is not running PHPNuke, it's running PostNuke (a fork of PHPNuke),
so PHPNuke upgrades won't help much. The problem is that the DB is
completely messed up, and not like the PostNuke upgrading script expected
it to be, so the DB upgrade went down the drain. I tried rewriting the
upgrade script but this didn't help much, as the databases were too
different. I was going to figure out how to convert the old database to the
new one, but since I'm a lazy bugger with little time on my hands as well,
it hasn't happened (Joeman doesn't seem to have had time either).

Maybe I'd work if Goober hired a team of weirdoes to bug me all the time
;-))

KAH

1  ...  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  78  |