Stop reindexing! (Community)

Stop reindexing! // Community

E N Z O and friends, I appreciate the effort you do to remove offencive
posts very much, but please stop doing things that reindex the articles. It
creates a lot of trouble, like making me lose all data about posts that
I've read/not read/etc, makes me have to redownload everything (this also
uses much bandwidth over at your place), and is pretty annoying. If you
want to delete a post, please do it the way it's always been done which
doesn't cause any reindexing.

KAH

hal9000

Nov 8, 2002, 6:32pm
Agreed! Its extremely annoying....

[View Quote]

nornny11

Nov 8, 2002, 6:56pm
I don't think there is a way of doing it without re-indexing. :) I've never
owned a newsgroup so I wouldn't know, but I think ENZO mentioned that one of
the consequences for deleting entire threads (or even lots of posts, I
guess) is that the server would have to reindex. Again, just a rumor. But
that's what you pay for fighting so much. :)

From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:

"Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
nothing! What a talent!"
[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 8, 2002, 7:12pm
As is reading all the silly insults that have been flung around.

Please be patient

lara

Nov 8, 2002, 7:47pm
This might not work for everyone (I use Netscape as my news reader), but has sure made those awful downloads after reindexing more bearable for me:

When I see that there are thousands of posts, I UNsubscribe from each newsgroup (beta,community,worldbuilders, general.) Then I resubscribe to just ONE of them. When that one ng appears and I click on it, a box comes up telling me there are (e.g.)3,500 headers. The ticked default line says "Download all". But there is also a different line where I can fill in the exact number of headers I want to download. I tick THAT line and ask for 50 or 100 headers, depending on how active I estimate that particular newsgroup has probably been since I last looked at it. And... this is important... I check the box that says something like "Mark the remainder as read" so that those thousands of ancient headers won't be downloaded at all.

Presto - only the most recent 50 or 100 messages get downloaded...instead of the thousands of old ones! The downside is that if I want to dig out a realllllly old message I would have to make it download more, but I don't usually want to read old stuff again.

I resubscribe to the other ng's the same way.

Lara

syntax

Nov 8, 2002, 8:19pm
Why are you always so concerned with bandwidth? :-P It's no big
deal...really.

....and your using Xnews right? There's probably an option somewhere in
there that allows you to customize the number of posts downloaded upon
subscription.
I used it before and there's thousands of options. :-0
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

kellee

Nov 8, 2002, 8:27pm
I use OE ( no comments , you techies) and I found the easiest way was to
click once on the newsgroup (i.e.: community- 22400), to download the
default 300 most recent messages, and then right click and "catch up" which
leaves you with only 300 read messages, no ancient ones, and ready for new
messages to appear.

You could even click catch up straight away, and start with a clean slate.

Im on 56k and it bugs me...

ncc 71854

Nov 8, 2002, 8:36pm
How about....skyDSL? :P

They dont have any broadband fitted here yet.

ncc 71854

Nov 8, 2002, 8:45pm
You can reach a satellite from everywhere. You just need a dish on the roof.

[View Quote] Not if the satelites for internet connection are in geostationary orbits. (like they
should be)

I also have my Outlook Express reader to download only the most recent 300
headers, which I think is the default setting in OE.

Chris

A simpler solution would be to pester the company who publishes your
newsgroup administration software to fix that bug. :) In the mean time, I
think we can all live with the reindexing with the solutions presented by
Lara and kellee below.

Chris

[View Quote]

tony m

Nov 8, 2002, 10:03pm
[View Quote] >A simpler solution would be to pester the company who publishes your newsgroup administration software to fix that bug. :) In the mean time, I think we can all live with the reindexing with the solutions presented by Lara and kellee below.

Not all of us are able to configure our newsreaders to do this.

"nornny11" <Nornny1 at attbi.com> wrote in
news:3dcc24ff$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I don't think there is a way of doing it without re-indexing. :) I've
> never owned a newsgroup so I wouldn't know, but I think ENZO mentioned
> that one of the consequences for deleting entire threads (or even lots
> of posts, I guess) is that the server would have to reindex. Again,
> just a rumor. But that's what you pay for fighting so much. :)

There is, all the other times posts have been deleted there haven't been
any reindexes. Also, according to the quote from Calpantera Builderz posted
in g.d, the reindexing is a bug in the newsserver software. Reindexing is a
really evil thing to do on an NNTP server, article numbers and messageids
are supposed to stay the same from they were posted to they're deleted. If
it has to reindex, I suggest they get other software.

"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3dcc3869 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why are you always so concerned with bandwidth? :-P It's no big
> deal...really.
>
> ...and your using Xnews right? There's probably an option somewhere
> in there that allows you to customize the number of posts downloaded
> upon subscription.
> I used it before and there's thousands of options. :-0

Bandwidth isn't really such a big deal to *me* (and obviously *you*), but
to many people it *is* (imagine downloading 20k, or even just 500 headers
on 56k or ISDN). Anyway, the worst hit would be on the AWI's bandwidth (and
the server performance, must take quite a bit of CPU power and memory)
which agains means a hit on the speed of traffic to and from the server.

Yes, there probably is a function for that, but I'm not going to enable it
:-D I like having all the headers, but I don't like having to download them
again every other day, only because their article number changed (which it
shouldn't).

Reindexing is against the concept of how news and news articles work
anyway, it should be avoided at all cost (especially on a server like this
one which doesn't drop old posts).

KAH

brant

Nov 9, 2002, 12:55am
Hey Lara! Everyone had been talking about how you decided to abandon AW
after the huge price hike. Guess they were wrong.

It's good to see some old faces returning :)

-Brant

[View Quote]

syntax

Nov 9, 2002, 1:51am
I'm on 56k and when I used to use Xnews (which imho still pales in
comparison to OE...hehe) it only took me about a minute to download the
community NG headers.

As for the bandwidth usage on AWI's side, I think they kinda expected that
it would be used, hence the reason they bought relatively good servers that
can handle a lot of hits. I don't think a few people downloading a couple
kilobytes of newsgroup headers will hurt much.

hehe, I've just came to a conclusion. We in the NG's are never satisfied!
We cried for some sort of moderator and now we have one. But now it takes a
couple of reindexes to do the job and people are up in arms. :-P True that
reindexing should be avoided, but right now I'll take any little consequence
to clean up the mess we call the community newsgroup.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

syntax

Nov 9, 2002, 1:54am
Has a big fat yellow ? beside her name in AW her. She sneaks on at night
when no one is looking. :-D
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

Then who has the superior news reader? I use outlook express. I can
configure my news reader to do it. Outlook Express is available on every
machine. So the way I see it, you got a choice to use your non-superior
news reader or Outlook Express. Microsoft sucks, and I feel like I'm eating
poison when I promote their products, but their news reader is okay. So in
conclusion, it's not Enzo's fault. Bear with it till they get the software
fixed, or get a different reader. :)

SW Chris

"syntax" <syn at swcity.net> wrote in
news:3dcc8650 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'm on 56k and when I used to use Xnews (which imho still pales in
> comparison to OE...hehe) it only took me about a minute to download
> the community NG headers.
>
> As for the bandwidth usage on AWI's side, I think they kinda expected
> that it would be used, hence the reason they bought relatively good
> servers that can handle a lot of hits. I don't think a few people
> downloading a couple kilobytes of newsgroup headers will hurt much.
>
> hehe, I've just came to a conclusion. We in the NG's are never
> satisfied! We cried for some sort of moderator and now we have one.
> But now it takes a couple of reindexes to do the job and people are up
> in arms. :-P True that reindexing should be avoided, but right now
> I'll take any little consequence to clean up the mess we call the
> community newsgroup. --

I took the lenght of your headers (717 bytes) and multiplied them by the
number of posts (22447). That's 16094499 bytes of headers if all posts have
the same header lenght as your's (some have longer, some have shorter, so
this is just to get an idea of it). 16094499/1024/1024 = ~15.348. So 15MB
of headers. Okay, there must be an error with this, but still it's quite a
lot. And with the overhead of NNTP commands it becomes even more.

And why is OE better than XNews? OE crashes all the time, doesn't work
right, has strange behaviour, is vulnerable to all sorts of virus attacks,
etc whilst the only problem I have with XNews is that it sometimes crashes
under heavy system load. ;-))

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3dcc93a5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Then who has the superior news reader? I use outlook express. I can
> configure my news reader to do it. Outlook Express is available on
> every machine. So the way I see it, you got a choice to use your
> non-superior news reader or Outlook Express. Microsoft sucks, and I
> feel like I'm eating poison when I promote their products, but their
> news reader is okay. So in conclusion, it's not Enzo's fault. Bear
> with it till they get the software fixed, or get a different reader.
> :)

It's not enzos fault, it's the DNews peoples' fault. It's not the function
of a news client to make reindexes less painfull! And OE isn't available on
all machines, only on all windows (98+, 95 doesn't have OE) installations.

AW is a PC-based product... But anyways, for those who want to shell out
money for an emulator, it is also available for Macintosh. I've used it.
And Netscape, which Lara posted a solution on, is available for Linux, and
that takes care of 99% of AW users and probably ALL of the newsgroup users.

If the mods stop moderating, they're likely not to start back up again once
they get a new build of Dnews. And I think the newsgroups just got about
100% better when the moderators became active. I don't want that to stop.
So either they stop moderating, or we live with the reindexing until they
can get their Dnews fixed.

SW Chris

But the fact remains that it's your choice you're using your Xnews. You
could always use Netscape.

SW Chris

Or they only moderate posts that occur *after* moderation has begun. How
many times do I have to say this?! Deleting posts and threads
willy-nilly is *not* moderating, it's called "not knowing what the hell
you're doing" :P

Power in the wrong hands...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

icey

Nov 9, 2002, 8:01pm
As far as I am concerned you can also say that from now to the eternity,
I am not sure that would affect my life or the life of the NG
icey
[View Quote] > Or they only moderate posts that occur *after* moderation has begun.
> How many times do I have to say this?! Deleting posts and threads
> willy-nilly is *not* moderating, it's called "not knowing what the
> hell you're doing" :P

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3dcd627d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> AW is a PC-based product... But anyways, for those who want to shell
> out money for an emulator, it is also available for Macintosh. I've
> used it. And Netscape, which Lara posted a solution on, is available
> for Linux, and that takes care of 99% of AW users and probably ALL of
> the newsgroup users.
>
> If the mods stop moderating, they're likely not to start back up again
> once they get a new build of Dnews. And I think the newsgroups just
> got about 100% better when the moderators became active. I don't want
> that to stop. So either they stop moderating, or we live with the
> reindexing until they can get their Dnews fixed.

I don't want them to stop moderating, just stop using the commands that
cause reindexes. As I understand it, the command for deleting threads is
the sinner, so why not use a (little) bit longer and delete induvidual
posts? This would be no trouble at all if they stopped going back and
deleting old threads, instead focusing on getting rid of NEW offensive
posts.

KAH

ryan jacob

Nov 10, 2002, 3:49pm