Protest - where is AWNEWS (Community)

Protest - where is AWNEWS // Community

1  2  |

facter

Dec 11, 2002, 8:16pm
Goober?

Wheres the damn site then?

F.

maki

Dec 11, 2002, 8:27pm
somewhere on vrvilage's website .. :)

awmaki.com
[View Quote]

brant

Dec 11, 2002, 8:36pm
I know - he E-Mailed me the URL, but I keep forgetting it - it's hidden
somewhere in the bowels of the Internet :)

How hard is it to throw up a website? It's been months. Even _I_ design
websites faster than that. =P

Chris

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Dec 11, 2002, 11:36pm
http://www.spiraline.com/~vrvillagevoice/html/
And they have a world called vrvillage

You want to know where AWNews is? I'll tell you where it is.

It's in the hands of one, maybe two, so-called programmers who say they
want to help me try and get the old AWNews database fixed so it can work
with the new version of PostNuke, but then they disappear for weeks on
end with nary a peep.

It's in the hands of people who say they want to be reporters, and then
either conveniently forget to cover the story, claim it's too boring, or
disappear entirely (one even let his citizenship expire two days after I
hired him!)

In other words, it's out of my hands. It's now in the hands of a
community who claims that they care and they want to see AWNews raised
to its former glory... just as long as *they* don't have to do the work.

You want AWNews back? Then find me a PHP programmer who actually has
*time* to help me work on this database and get the site up and running.

You want AWNews back? Then find me some reporters who are actually
willing to take the *time* to hunt down stories and go after the facts,
and not just look for a quick advertisement.

I've made AWNews a one-man show for two years now. Unfortunately, this
one man is running out of time. I told you people to either Put Up or
Shut Up, and I still stand by that. You people want AWNews back? Then
it's time to Put Up! Otherwise, I'm done, and you people are going to
have to get your news from somewhere else.

The fate of AWNews is in your hands...

Tired... so very tired...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

alphabit phalpha

Dec 12, 2002, 2:01am
*raising hand*
I could do reporting or favorite recipes or sumptin:)

maki

Dec 12, 2002, 2:16am
[View Quote] i'll make a news site :) it's not that difficult to setup postnuke or
phpnuke and whatnot(unless you were planning on editing it to create a huge
new massive extensive incredible amazing joyous wonderful ...thing).

awmaki.com

Knock yourself out, chief. Even with a fresh version of PostNuke, you'll
be slitting your wrists before the month is out because you wasted all
that effort on a cool looking site, only to have zero content.

Points at band-aids on arms and says "Been there, done that"
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

maki

Dec 12, 2002, 3:06am
[View Quote] will do. ;)

awmaki.com

technozeus

Dec 12, 2002, 3:21am
vrvilage (only one "L" in the world name)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

sw comit

Dec 12, 2002, 4:04am
I'm still here! (in spirit) :-P
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Dec 12, 2002, 8:19am
Goober as I think I mentioned before try the phpnuke community, they have
people that are experts in phpnuke and how the software comes together. Even
get a custom theme.

At present I operate three phpnuke sites V6 and the guys have always bent
over backwards to help in its customisation.

The database very simplely loads into your sql database and configured in
the config.php file in the main folder, its a simple process. All add on to
the database are loaded into the same sql database.

The "nuke" guys are the best to deal with any problems.

Try http://nukesupport.com/

All the experts in phpnuke are there and from my own experience are only to
willing to help.

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Dec 12, 2002, 8:23am
As a extra footnote:

As you proberly where running a older version of nuke I take it you did run
the upgrade program to convert your old database to V6 phpnuke?

It is provided in the V6 program.
If you did not you are beating your head against the wall.

"wizard myrddin" <wizard at rdescape.co.uk> wrote in
news:3df86390 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> As a extra footnote:
>
> As you proberly where running a older version of nuke I take it you
> did run the upgrade program to convert your old database to V6
> phpnuke?
>
> It is provided in the V6 program.
> If you did not you are beating your head against the wall.

AWNews is not running PHPNuke, it's running PostNuke (a fork of PHPNuke),
so PHPNuke upgrades won't help much. The problem is that the DB is
completely messed up, and not like the PostNuke upgrading script expected
it to be, so the DB upgrade went down the drain. I tried rewriting the
upgrade script but this didn't help much, as the databases were too
different. I was going to figure out how to convert the old database to the
new one, but since I'm a lazy bugger with little time on my hands as well,
it hasn't happened (Joeman doesn't seem to have had time either).

Maybe I'd work if Goober hired a team of weirdoes to bug me all the time
;-))

KAH

wizard myrddin

Dec 12, 2002, 1:39pm
A right got yer posty posty nuke

proberly be worth just re starting it with V6 and bring stuff manually from
the database. But a shout for help from nukers might not go amis, someone
might have a posty to V6 upgrade lurcking about.

But it's not awnews.net

Chris

[View Quote]

technozeus

Dec 13, 2002, 12:05am
I don't know the whole story behind that, but it seems to me that I heard someone "took away" that address... and by the sounds of it basically held it for ransom. The VrVillaaage Voice was nice enough to offer some space while the details get worked out. Again, this is not first hand information, so if anyone who knows "first hand" wants to step up and elaborate or correct me... please do. :)

I was only correcting the spelling of the world name so that people wouldn't try to teleport there and get a message stating that there is no such world running.

TechnoZeus

Goober explained it in a post in this thread dated earlier. AWNews.com was
taken away, so AWnews.net was registered. But Goob still hasn't slapped up
a website yet. Seems to me he doesn't want to do any of the work. ;P

Really Goober, if you're tired of it, just give it to someone else, like
Facter. I know you think it's your baby, but it's got to grow up sometime.

Chris

Geez, Chris, how many times do I have to tell you? It's awnews.ORG, not
..net! :P

At any rate, as far as the old awnews.com domain, to make a long story
short, Cybor, the former owner of AWNews, let the domain expire and a
domain squatter picked it up before I could. Now the guy is trying to
sell it at $10,000 (still!) and we have since moved on to a new domain
and are now trying to get the site back up and running.

It'll get done when it gets done
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Oops. .ORG. Thanks Goob.

Chris

Let's get one thing straight here, Chris: I am NOT tired of AWNews. I
will do whatever is in my power to get it up and running and back to its
former self as soon as possible. Hell, I'll even teach myself PHP if
that's what it takes.

What I AM tired of is people continuing to pester me about when the site
will be back up, without the slightest indication of wanting to *help*,
or when they *do* offer to help, they then renege on their duties and I
have to go back to Square One.

So it's pretty simple: Put Up or Shut Up! Either you people help me get
the site back up and get some content for the site (i.e. reporting
stories) or shut your cakeholes and wait patiently while I do it with
limited support. If you people want AWNews so bad, then *you* are going
to have to help to make it a reality sooner rather than later.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

facter

Terrible URL..what happened to the .org or .info website?

Needs to be a domain...buried so far away is not good...

F.

facter

Dec 13, 2002, 12:34pm
Goobs

I'm not a full PHP developer, but I am a webmaster and have worked ont he
webs for years now...if you need *any* help at all with it, then just let me
know what is needed - you need a PHP developer? Then ask around, I'm sure
amongst all of us we can find one for you...you want a reporter? I aint got
nothing else to do lately, and I know AW like the back of my hand
(literally)..

....no need to get agro. You do a good job on something, then expect people
to be sad when its not around anymore. You create a site that people love,
and read as often as it is updated, and when it disappears you be prepared
to get gripes and groans.

Thats the whole point here a lot of us lvoe the site, and appreciate all the
effort that goes into it...why are you giving up so easily? Yes, two
years....so what? You did it because you loved it, and in that two years you
got so much praise its not funny - you dont love it anymore, then fine, give
it to someone else....

Take a pill bro... there are people willign to help, if you let em and make
some noise about it...I had no diea what had happened to it, thats why I
asked :)

F.

[View Quote]

facter

Dec 13, 2002, 12:37pm
> AWNews is not running PHPNuke, it's running PostNuke (a fork of PHPNuke),
> so PHPNuke upgrades won't help much. The problem is that the DB is
> completely messed up, and not like the PostNuke upgrading script expected
> it to be, so the DB upgrade went down the drain. I tried rewriting the
> upgrade script but this didn't help much, as the databases were too
> different. I was going to figure out how to convert the old database to
the
> new one, but since I'm a lazy bugger with little time on my hands as well,
> it hasn't happened (Joeman doesn't seem to have had time either).
>
> Maybe I'd work if Goober hired a team of weirdoes to bug me all the time
> ;-))

He doesnt need to hire them, Im here - update the fukin database already!!!
hahahaha

F.

e n z o

Dec 13, 2002, 2:11pm
Let me know when its back up :) If you want maybe we can set up some links
on our site.

"facter" <invurt at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3df9efe1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I'm not a full PHP developer, but I am a webmaster and have worked ont
> he webs for years now...if you need *any* help at all with it, then
> just let me know what is needed - you need a PHP developer? Then ask
> around, I'm sure amongst all of us we can find one for you...you want
> a reporter? I aint got nothing else to do lately, and I know AW like
> the back of my hand (literally)..

I think what's most needed is someone good at solving riddles and who knows
SQL (MySQL to be precise) ;-)) Okay, I'll see what I can get done now,
hopefully I might be able to snap out of my lazyness long enough to work
some on it. Just hope I still got the database dumps.

I've put up. But my photographs weren't used because some moron teenager
didn't report on the story. ;)

Chris

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Dec 13, 2002, 6:55pm
LOL just popped into my head, if the database if formated to work with
postnuke it would be more simple to load postnuke portal back into the web
site instead of trying to upgrade to a dif version that has no converstion.

Plenty of stuff out there for postnuke.

That depends... think you and Cryonics could make yourself available for
interviews a bit more often? ;)

Going for the exclusive!
gooberking at utn.cjb.net