CHECK THIS OUT (Community)

CHECK THIS OUT // Community

1  |

equin0x

Dec 10, 2002, 6:30am
check it out click here

lioness.

Dec 10, 2002, 10:28am
click WHERE??? ;-"/

Judging from the lack of description, I'd say he was trying to trick you
into going to one of those lame vampire/zombie/druglord sites. Good
thing he doesn't know how to work his newsreader!

The text WINS!
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

ncc 71854

Dec 10, 2002, 11:36am
You need to format and re-install Windows to make this work.

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Dec 10, 2002, 1:10pm
Man why does everyone do those stupid sites? Their so old now.

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Dec 10, 2002, 1:52pm
It's so old my Grandfather was doing the trick when he was 9 and he's 80.

[View Quote]

sw comit

Dec 10, 2002, 8:27pm
*click*
*page loads*

SWEET!
--
- Syntax - >_<
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

maki

Dec 10, 2002, 8:53pm
syntax? sw comit? ...

awmaki.com

Newsgroups: community
Subject: CHECK THIS OUT
From: "equin0x" <xeroer at hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2002 03:30:48 -0500

check it out click here

Ummmmm....

- Mark

shred

Dec 10, 2002, 9:33pm
*points in the general direction of general.discussion*

[View Quote]

sw comit

Dec 10, 2002, 10:16pm
When it has the Syntax signature, it's Syntax.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

maki

Dec 11, 2002, 12:48am
why are you posting under comit's name then ?

awmaki.com
[View Quote]

carlbanks

Dec 11, 2002, 1:27am
His cit expired and he's gonna renew it soon so Commit let him use his cit.

cause he and his girlfriend keep forgetting to renew his citizenship. :P

Chris

[View Quote]

sw comit

Dec 11, 2002, 8:27pm
lmao
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Dec 12, 2002, 8:48pm
......i think it's supposed to be a blonde joke..........?

[View Quote]

equin0x

Dec 13, 2002, 12:26am
so it didnt work. stop complaining geez. I aint online long enough to learn
about newsgroups.

technozeus

Dec 13, 2002, 1:03am
I think there are more people wondering what was intended than complaining... you feel like letting them in on the secret, or are you going to just let them wonder? :)

TechnoZeus

"equin0x" <xeroer at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3df94551$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> so it didnt work. stop complaining geez. I aint online long enough to
> learn about newsgroups.

In that case, don't post. HTML in news posts is evil anyway.

KAH

shred

Dec 13, 2002, 6:58pm
[View Quote] Um... aren't we being a bit drastic? It's not as though the guy is attempting to perform surgery without a medical degree or something.

Instead of just telling him to go away for a relatively harmless mistake, you could attempt to help solve the problem by actually helping him learn the "rules" around here rather than shunning him out of the newsgroups.

Apparently we have a one-strike-and-you're-executed-by-a-rifle-squadron system around here :P

shred

Dec 13, 2002, 7:05pm
All the SW names are just there to fool you. They're all actually part of one hive mind... the SW Collective.

The SW City and its community is only a cover story for its true hidden mission: to thwart Goober King and his secret plans for world domination by slowly infecting him with a mental disease code named "O_O".

We are the SWorg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add
your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is
futile.

Too bad. Stick around equin0x. You might learn something. :) I did! :D

I learned that pink elephants with umbrellas are cool.

Chris

[View Quote]

anarkissed

Dec 14, 2002, 12:29am
Doesn't anyone realize he was trying to hijack everyone's browser by forcing
a link to open without your permission?
He was trying to set up an html script that forces your browser to go to a
pre-specified link, the first step in hacking via usenet posts. Maybe his
link wouldn't have had malicious activeX scripting but nevertheless he had
no business even trying and had he succeeded he would have been turfed from
this news server probably permanently if not had his citizenship in AW
revoked. Be glad he's not only stupid enough to think that prank funny but
too stupid to pull it off.

[View Quote]

ncc 71854

Dec 14, 2002, 7:20am
You must comply. If you attempt to intervene, we will destroy you.

[View Quote]

shred

Dec 14, 2002, 12:08pm
Unless I'm missing something (and I may very well be), equin0x's post came through as plain text. It looked to me like he was trying to make an HTML hyperlink out of the word 'here'.

So... could you explain to me exactly how you came to the conclusion that he was attempting to "hijack" everyone's browser?

PS: If you're afraid of getting infected by scripts that run without your permission, dump Outlook Express/IE (infinite evil) :P

"anarkissed" <anarkissed at nospam.alt.2600.net> wrote in
news:3dfa977f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Doesn't anyone realize he was trying to hijack everyone's browser by
> forcing a link to open without your permission?
> He was trying to set up an html script that forces your browser to go
> to a pre-specified link, the first step in hacking via usenet posts.
> Maybe his link wouldn't have had malicious activeX scripting but
> nevertheless he had no business even trying and had he succeeded he
> would have been turfed from this news server probably permanently if
> not had his citizenship in AW revoked. Be glad he's not only stupid
> enough to think that prank funny but too stupid to pull it off.

Well, actually I think he just tried posting a HTML link, not quite as
malicious as ActiveX controls. Still pretty stupid, though, and off-topic
as well.

KAH

anarkissed

Dec 14, 2002, 7:28pm
Ok, it's an assumption, but essentially he seemed to expect the opening of
the post to automagically open the link.
I use OE because it's the only newsreader that lets me use multiple servers
on one instance of the client.

Umm, Netscape can do the same thing, and I'm sure other newsreaders out
there, such as XNews can do the same as well. (Care to clarify, KAH?)

As for equin0x's post, I don't think he was expecting the post to
automatically open the link, otherwise he wouldn't have said "click
here". What most likely happened is he composed the message in HTML, but
didn't realize his OE was configured to only post messages in plain
text, so OE converted it to plain text when he posted it, thereby
removing the link. It's a common mistake which I'm personally thankful
for. :)

Just because it comes with your OS doesn't mean it's the best...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

"goober king" <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> wrote in
news:3DFBA2BD.7060200 at utn.cjb.net:

> Umm, Netscape can do the same thing, and I'm sure other newsreaders
> out there, such as XNews can do the same as well. (Care to clarify,
> KAH?)

XNews can do it, yup. You can even have groups from different servers open
at the same time (it's got a taskbar-like toolbar at the bottom of the main
window which allows you to switch). http://xnews.newsguy.com/