Poor behavior of beta testers (Community)

Poor behavior of beta testers // Community

1  2  |

brant

Nov 25, 2002, 9:18pm
Am I the only person who has read through the beta newsgroup in complete
disbelief? If the testers can't post constructive criticism or at least
observe basic manners, then don't waste the programmers' time by being a
part of the test group. A beta program isn't supposed to work right - I
don't test because I don't want to have to deal with these issues. It's
downright appalling what some of the people posted there this afternoon, and
I only had time to look over a quarter of the new posts, if that. Not even
two year olds would be allowed to insult people like some of the testers are
doing right now.

There's a way to express your opinions, and a way not to. I sincerely hope
that Young Shamus and ENZO don't decide to remove functionality that could
benefit many users just because a few people didn't read the help files.

-Brant

Don't overgeneralize.

--Bowen--

chiram seawing

Nov 25, 2002, 9:26pm
no offense to AW, but I don't really think it was too wise of them to let
everyone that emailed them into the beta heh... didn't the question that was
something like "why do you want to be a beta tester" say something about the
personality?

brock

Nov 25, 2002, 9:46pm
I'm in 100 percent agreeal with this, there are like 20 people i can name
that shouldnt be in beta test, just want in because 3.4 looks cool =\
They don't report bugs, they are new, they are lame.
Are the types of people heh.

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 445
Brock at iceflare.net
[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Nov 25, 2002, 9:52pm
I totally agree. They are acting outraged because they, the TESTERS, got experimental features that did not
work right or becuase they just plain didn't like it. If you have an opinion on something, state it and move
on, and wait for it to be fixed. Don't start an argument with the friggen programmer *cough*.

As i'm typing this JP just posted. It's understandable but I still think what is typed above is true.

--
Zeo

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Nov 25, 2002, 10:20pm
If you filled email in right you proberly got in Beta group regardless if
you had anything to offer.

Mind you they are some good testers, but few and far between.

[View Quote]

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Nov 25, 2002, 10:22pm
I agree with that statement, but *many* of the recent posts to beta were made by people who overreacted to changes and forgot that this is not a final release.

mod

Nov 25, 2002, 11:31pm
See, that is where, I would have to disagree, the reason why so many people
were let into beta is so the programmers can see everyone's view on it, not
just the people who know the browser inside and out (and few do) because
lets face it most people on AW don't, so they wanted to see how most people
on AW would react to a certain bug if presented, or what their view on the
situation. Personally I realize that many of the posts were out of line, and
I don't believe that it was acceptable, but I believe the cause of this is
that now since there as so many bugs, that it will take forever to fix them
all, and 3.4 will be in beta even longer now. I don't know, maybe I just see
things differently.

-Mod
[View Quote]

brock

Nov 25, 2002, 11:47pm
Beta testing is for solving bugs......

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 445
Brock at iceflare.net

[View Quote] Yeah... but some of us are trying to get them to give us some sort of option to make
it more like the original movement style in nicer ways than others. My 3 posts were
a little over-zealous but apparently there's something wrong with scroll mouses? If
one of you other beta testers have one, test it for me.

--Bowen--

wizard myrddin

Nov 26, 2002, 8:05am
Thats it in one Brock.

If the selection of testers does not represent world owners, object creators
and users that can create a selection of situations that will saturate test
the software to its full all we see when released is all these "bugs" being
found by members..

Its simple to slelect a wide band selection of the membership, but as stated
the selelection must be broadly based to emcompase all interests.

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 26, 2002, 2:50pm
Don't undergeneralize

binarybud

Nov 26, 2002, 3:15pm
LOL at E are you trolling? hehehehe

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 26, 2002, 3:39pm
Heh, you wouldn't be able to count the number of people I shouldn't have put
into the beta... I thought we were real close to a stable release ":)

Oh well

[View Quote] LOL it's better to undergeneralize than overgeneralize :P

--Bowen--

brock

Nov 26, 2002, 4:45pm
Well E if you want to be close to having a stable release stop adding new
features in this version and start putting them into the next version,
figure out all the features of 3.4 make sure their all fixed tight, then go
on :P

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 445
Brock at iceflare.net
[View Quote]

orb

Nov 26, 2002, 5:11pm
It might be a good idea to have a set maximum amount of new features per
version. Otherwise it's endless beta.

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 26, 2002, 5:23pm
we have (checks calendar) 2 weeks ago

[View Quote]

brock

Nov 26, 2002, 5:34pm
*cough*
So let me get this straight after Build 445, there will be no more new
features added to 3.4, future builds will be put in place to fix those found
in previous 3.4 builds.
Is that what you are saying?

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 445
Brock at iceflare.net

It sounds like you need a few more serious testers. If you are still
accepting, I can help you out. I was going to stay away from it, but there
are just too many kiddies running around who just want the new features
early and don't intent to report any bugs. Sooo if you want me, here I am.

Chris

[View Quote]

brock

Nov 26, 2002, 6:27pm
Well if my opinions mean anything
people like Mike Zimmer, and chris here would be a good beta tester :P

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 445
Brock at iceflare.net

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 26, 2002, 6:29pm
Ask Shamus, Bill or Grimm... I no longer add people at my whim :0

So maybe now would be a good time to whip up a UniServer bot or even easier, the write access list to the Beta newsgroup, search though and eliminate those from Beta who are...

a) Just not posting
b) Have asked to be taken off
c) Are pains in the back side *gulp*

"chiram seawing" <Seawing at Planet-Safira.com> wrote in
news:3de2b1ae$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> no offense to AW, but I don't really think it was too wise of them to
> let everyone that emailed them into the beta heh... didn't the
> question that was something like "why do you want to be a beta tester"
> say something about the personality?

I emailed them an application (after Calpantera's post) but I didn't get in
:-(( Maybe I would've if I wrote that I was a newbie and complete computer-
illiterate instead of telling them that I actually know quite a bit about
computer graphics, D3D programming, etc...

KAH

wizard myrddin

Nov 27, 2002, 12:19am
lol, many did with years of experence in software and development testing
and got refused, but then cant have all pro experence in a beta program..

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 27, 2002, 12:19pm
They had let more people onto the beta because they were close to release... then certain people pressured them into adding one feature that they wanted without waiting for this beta to be completed and released, so basically the cycle started over but with a lot of people already on the beta team who were added only after most of the bugs "were" already gone... and since the cycle started over, new bugs got introduced, and those people got a taste of what "real beta testing" is all about. If we're all lucky, maybe the end result will be a few more good experienced beta testers available for the next beta than we would have had otherwise, which could really help speed things along and smooth out the rough spots when 3.5 or 4.0 are being developed. There's usually a bright side. The trick is to not only find it but figure out how to best make use of it. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

mrbruce

Nov 27, 2002, 3:23pm
Can't remove people who are not posting, I rarely post in beta because for
one I know what is an actual bug and what is a new feature that we have to
get used to, which is what beta is all about trying the new features and
seeing if they respond correctly.
Also there is no sense posting the same bug 20 times.
I just want E N Z O, young shamus and Bill to know that they are doing a
great job with this release and I want to say to the impatient AW program
users that GOOD things come to those who wait!
So as a Beta tester I just want to encourage people who are not familar with
the new 3.4 verson of AW to hang in there, you will be impressed! Specially
if you are a Sims owner! I upgraded the Sims to "Livin' Large" and lost
interest when I seen all the cool features AW has to offer.
MrBruce Cit# 327324
[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 27, 2002, 10:53pm
Beta testing is intended to give some outside help to the developers. It's not only to solve "bugs" unless you use a REALLY broad definition of "bug" that includes such things as lacking features, functionality that works but isn't user friendly enough, and stuff like that too. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 27, 2002, 10:54pm
We were. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 27, 2002, 10:58pm
Maybe a good idea, but that should probably only count features that are expected to take at least a day to add or have a reasonable potential of adding bugs, and should also not be "strictly" adhered to, because there are situations where it's obvious to the programmer that it's the right time to add a certain feature (such as when they're working on the section of code it would go in anyway and adding it will fit in with what they are doing) and it would be a shame to have to skip it at that time and waste months later.

TechnoZeus