andras // User Search

1  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  35  |

Gaps in latest Alphaworld objects... (WARNING: A PNG images files attached)

Oct 24, 2004, 10:44pm
[View Quote] Good morning!!! - this thread is 11 days old :)
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Newsgroup Charter again

Oct 4, 2004, 8:50am
Just a friendly reminder to the folks who don't remember or new to the newsgroup:

Charter of the news.activeworlds.com/community

INTRO:

The need for a moderated group is best explained by taking a casual look at
the many off-topic postings in other, non-moderated group. Often times,
disputes arise of personal nature or insults are thrown about with no care
or regard for the rights or feelings of others. This flaming is not the
purpose or intent of this particular newsgroup. We would like to avoid such
problems from the start. News.activeworlds.com/community has been set up
as a media for dissemination of Information relative to the AW community and
the AW software in general. Events of interest to this community and the
sharing of knowledge and community discussion will be posted here. We invite
you all to take an active share in this newsgroup and hope it will be a
positive addition to your AW experience. Please join in and have fun.

CHARTER: news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup is a moderated
newsgroup for the free exchange of information and opinions on AW culture,
language, history, economics, science, and other topics related to
ActiveWorlds. Posts appropriate for news.activeworlds.com/community
include, but are not restricted to, all aspects of ActiveWorlds,
informational posts about AW culture, history, etc. Language issues related
to AW. Discussion of education, health, environmental issues , politics,
elections, etc. Discussion of books , articles, webarticles, movies, etc.,
about AW or the 3D internet in general. Discussion of minority issues,
including language, within AW. Job opportunities within AW. Discussions
involving PeaceKeepers and GateKeepers. Suggestions and tips for newcomers.
Suggestions and tips for World Owners. Additions and alternative
implementations of the AW client or server. AWCOM. posts relevant to the AW
community and public meetings.

News.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup is for anyone who is interested
in AW and who can follow Usenet newsgroup netiquette, basic rules of polite
human interaction, and any further restrictions imposed by this charter.
There is no test or requirement as to how much of an AW citizen a person is
who wants to make a submission and participate. Any restrictions concerning
the contents of a post are intended to keep to the topic of AW, and are not
intended to restrict anyone's expression of opinions. Free speech exists
within the context of AW as a topic as defined in this charter. If the topic
is not about AW, forums other than news.activeworlds.com/community
newsgroup are probably more appropriate. Submissions unrelated to the AW
Community shall be rejected. Commercial advertisements unrelated to AW shall
be rejected; all personal ads shall be rejected. Submissions containing
ethnic slurs, or submissions intended to hurt any given race, religion,
gender, or sexual orientation, shall be rejected. Personal attacks on
individual posters will also be rejected. Attacks on AWCOM, its employees,
contractors or partners will be rejected.

When major changes to the charter are to be considered, an announcement will
be made on news.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup inviting interested
people to respond and thus participate via email. The role of the moderators
is to ensure the conditions of the charter are met by any submission to
news.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup. The moderators recognize that
they should be as unbiased and objective as is humanly possible.

Submissions are evaluated as to whether or not (1) they are on topic, (2)
they meet
netiquette, (3) they are appropriate for the group membership as a group
(rather than something that belongs in e-mail to an individual(s)), and
(4) meet any other submission standards as defined in the charter. The
deletions
of the rejected submissions to news.activeworlds.com/moderated newsgroup by
the moderators should be in a timely manner. Should a moderator reject a
submission, s/he will delete the complete with no notice to the group or the
submitter in a timely manner (usually within 48 hours). All of the other
moderators shall be included in any notification of the deletion. Should the
moderators as a group disagree with a moderator's decision about a
submission, a minimum a coin toss majority is required to override it.
Other details will be refined during the initial existence of
news.activeworlds.com/moderated newsgroup, recognizing that it is impossible
to anticipate all of the details of moderation in advance. Submitters to
news.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup should recognize the volunteer
nature of the moderators, possible equipment problems with the server, etc.,
and keep such issues in mind when considering whether or not a post or
deletion was made in a timely way. The moderators will also work among
themselves to define the details of moderation, for example, addressing such
issues as how many moderators are actively moderating at a time and how to
deal with threads that appear to have strayed from the subject of AW.

We appreciate your cooperation, be excellent to each other and enjoy your
stay here in Active Worlds.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Off-Topic: Webpage Graphics...

Oct 6, 2004, 3:58pm
[View Quote] <snip>

> Anyway, does anyone have any freewares to recommend for me to try for
> designing websites (graphics, HTML, audio, etc.) or any freebies such as
> graphics or sounds for that matters? Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> help, or any kinds of responses to my post here. Have a good evening (or
> morning for anyone else on the globe ;P). :)

How about using Mozilla's built-in web page editor? <at least it will steer you away from the evil:)>

BTW - this ng will not let you post such a huge PNG (or jpg ) files any longer thanks to your ignorance!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Off-Topic: Webpage Graphics...

Oct 8, 2004, 6:01am
[View Quote] > http://usenetshit.info is a great site to visit if you wish to learn
> CSS. Brucie is a terrific coder in HTML, CSS and PHP.
>
> For example, visit some of his pages and go to 'View Source'... Enjoy!

That is a cool site! Thanks for the link.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Program upgrades

Oct 8, 2004, 1:39pm
[View Quote] > Heh... I tried but I got ejected!

> LOL

Sounds familiar isn't it?
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Guide to the Newsgroup (Old 1)

Oct 8, 2004, 4:53pm
[View Quote] > Thought this would be worth a repost, a good read.

> http://www.swcity.net/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=95
>
> - MR

Next time you should add pi and subtract epsilon otherwise it won't work!!!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Webpage links to worlds stopped working?

Oct 9, 2004, 7:49am
[View Quote] > It's been brought to my attention that the webpage url from my website to my
> world isn't working, nor is it working from the site of the person who
> notified me of the problem (not Mauz btw LOL). I've grammed ENZO the
> following:

> Teleport links from a website to worlds are no longer working, can you
> tell me whatz up with that ... or when/if you are going to fix it? A couple
> of examples of world links on webpages are:
>
> Mauz's
> http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_7700N_7700E
>
> Mine
> http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?Aeon
>
> I was notified of this problem via yet another user who says it's only
> been occuring since he d/l 553 but I'm on 551 and I'm having the
> same problem :o/
>
> I'm sure he'll reply if/when he finds out what's up, but I was wondering if
> anyone else knows of this &/or if there's a cure? I'm thinking it's a CGI
> issue on AWI's website? Any confirmation?
>
> LNH

Those links work when you click within AW's internal browser (the browser did not even send that request to the target site but intercepts the content :).
The new Object server doesn't have this cgi by accident but you still can use the same teleport CGI from the address:
http://www.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Community Liason

Oct 13, 2004, 4:13pm
[View Quote] > huh?

Never mind - Legion just needs to learn how to properly quote.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Message translator helper tool

Oct 21, 2004, 6:11pm
I wrote a simple app which helps to translate the messages for AW.
The tool puts side by side the corresponding messages on two languages and let you save the target translation as an .awm file.

http://www.andras.net/tools.html#msgcomp

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Beta NG gone?

Oct 22, 2004, 4:40pm
[View Quote] > excuse me earth to Mark the beta group is gone dude....;)

> Leo :)

Strange! Then how Mark was able to post in it?
<smiles>
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Beta NG gone?

Oct 23, 2004, 4:40am
[View Quote] > You can usually tell that when the alpha / beta team's start dissapearing at
> random and come back swearing about crashes... Its a fairly good indicator,
> at least initially.
>
> - MR

Good one Mark!

Thanks for the laugh :)
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Video streaming on linux

Nov 9, 2004, 6:58pm
[View Quote] > hey, just curious, does anyone know if live video streaming is possible on a
> linux server? can't really affoard a dedicated server, so trying to get a
> virtual private server, but all the ones i found only have linux, and well,
> wanna use it to start a real, VIDEO based, tv station.
>
> Thanks
> -SWE

Finally I stumbled to this URL:
http://www.videolan.org/

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

[Other Universe] Invitation :)

Nov 9, 2004, 6:52pm
[View Quote] > i click the Go 3D button on the left of the aw-europe page, and a window

http://www.aw-europe.com/downloads/aweurope.exe

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

AWTeen GZ

> I can get 60-80 FPS in worlds that take care in their designs, and in
> vertex count among all the objects. I know that I was able to get 50
> fps on an 8mb matrox and an 8mb intel card. Of course I designed those
> objects for that sole purpose, but it can be done with standard pieces too.

If I'm right - the browser limits the frame rate to 30 f/s no matter how high it could go :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Spam originating from these newsgroups?

Nov 2, 2004, 4:16pm
[View Quote] OTOH if your server looses your mails - you are cooked ...

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Spam originating from these newsgroups?

Nov 2, 2004, 7:40pm
[View Quote] [View Quote] With IMAP - no. It defeats its purpose :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Dangerous Chemicals

Nov 2, 2004, 7:46pm
[View Quote] > http://www.dhmo.org/

> - MR

For some unknown reason this is my favourite chemical :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help Tech's of ActiveWorld Please ;)

Nov 7, 2004, 10:34am
[View Quote] > hmmm, says there's an attachment ... I didn't include an attachment? don't
> open it LOL
>
> LNH

That was just the HTML part (you managed to respond in both ASCII and HTML :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help Tech's of ActiveWorld Please ;)

Nov 7, 2004, 8:05pm
[View Quote] > Yeah, open - unscrew blanking plate - push in - screw in - close - boot -
> install.
>
> Lol!

I guess you need a reality check :(

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Scientific Question

Nov 11, 2004, 5:24pm
[View Quote] ...... hummm wonder how long till this is deleted

You are deleted :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

BSoD popping up in odd places

Nov 17, 2004, 6:12pm
[View Quote] I guess Rossboy referred to the ATMs or advertising displays as simple applications, not AW.
At least that is how I read his post :)
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

BSoD popping up in odd places

Nov 19, 2004, 4:32pm
[View Quote] > Hey... if it was good enough for the machine that receives all the votes
> from the voting booths...

Was it really good? <just consider the outcome :)>

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

VRT?

Nov 21, 2004, 5:57am
[View Quote] It is the SAME all year around as supposed to be. Your place uses daylight savings which is something not all the world uses.
VRT is related to the GMT (which does not changes by daylight savings), so it is steady GMT-3.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

VRT?

Nov 22, 2004, 1:02pm
[View Quote] > that would be my guess O_O unless AW checks if the person uses DST?

> -SWE

[View Quote] Nope - the VRT will be the same for all of us.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Re: C P's new GFX card [off topic]

Nov 21, 2004, 5:27pm
[View Quote] [View Quote] Looks a good ps.
You pop your case open, unplug all cables going to the PS, remove the PS (four screws at the back of your case), pop the new one in and plug back all the cables.
It is a plain replacement!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

RFC 1925 - The Twelve Networking Truths

Nov 23, 2004, 6:38am
RFC 1925 - The Twelve Networking Truths
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1925.html

(1) It Has To Work.

(2) No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't increase the speed of light.

(2a) (corollary). No matter how hard you try, you can't make a baby in much less than 9 months. Trying to speed this up *might* make it slower, but it won't make it happen any
quicker.

(3) With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

(4) Some things in life can never be fully appreciated nor understood unless experienced firsthand. Some things in networking can never be fully understood by someone who neither builds commercial networking equipment nor runs an operational network.

(5) It is always possible to aglutenate multiple separate problems into a single complex interdependent solution. In most cases this is a bad idea.

(6) It is easier to move a problem around (for example, by moving the problem to a different part of the overall network architecture) than it is to solve it.

(6a) (corollary). It is always possible to add another level of indirection.

(7) It is always something

(7a) (corollary). Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).

(8) It is more complicated than you think.

(9) For all resources, whatever it is, you need more.

(9a) (corollary) Every networking problem always takes longer to solve than it seems like it should.

(10) One size never fits all.

(11) Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and a different presentation, regardless of whether it works.

(11a) (corollary). See rule 6a.

(12) In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

[...]