andras // User Search

1  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  35  |

Re: OP thieves you should be aware of...

Dec 14, 2004, 7:51am
[View Quote] > Someone is trying to use my OP for their world Loralyne, without my
> permission and without even asking me (beforehand, the log below is AFTER
> THE FACT). I have the following info and log copies, be on the watch world
> owners!

Securing your Object Path 101:

1, Password protect all your UNIQUE objects (or make the unique by adding some comments to them)
- this can be achieved by using Multizip (http://www.andras.net/tools.html) with the proper features selected
- never password such objects which came from public domain - that makes the password deciphering much simpler!!

2, Use a reliable and fast web host for your Object Path
- the OP is a heavy traffic website. Don't try to host it by yourself on ADSL or Cable connection. Those connections - though fast for your downloads - really slow when uploading!
one exception can be made - if your OP is rarely used, i.e. you have a small world with only a few visitors.

3, Select the "Enable Browser Referer" in the World Options/Options dialog!
- the AW browser will include the Referer http tag at each web access with a combination of the universe address:port and your world's name.

4, Configure your Object Path host
a, Windows IIS - I will not go into details because I don't remember them but be sure that directory listing is disabled
b, Apache - I'll give you a few tricks here how to secure against the leaching (unauthorized use of your site)
- if you have access to the Vhosts.cfg (the virtual host configuration) or your ISP is willing to make changes on it add the following lines to your config under your directory there:

#---- Securing agains ilegal use ---------------------------------
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "aw://64\.94\.241\.250:5670/yourworld" proper_use
SetEnvIfNoCase Remote_Addr "your_IP_address" proper_use
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from env=proper_use
#-----------------------------------------------------------------
- if you can't do that, create a file called ".htaccess" (without quotes - but the leading '.' character is important!) and add the same stuff into that file above. Copy/ Upload the file onto each of your AW Object Path folder (avatars,models,textures,seqs,sounds )
Legend:
yourworld - the name of the world you are allow to access that path. You can have multiple lines or wildchars in it. E.g.:
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "aw://64\.94\.241\.250:5670/storage*" proper_use
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "aw://64\.94\.241\.250:5670/rhapsody" proper_use
your_IP_address - is your personal IP address, so you always be able to access those folders by a standard browser. It just simplifies your life - you still will be able to FTP into those folders :) E.g.:
SetEnvIfNoCase Remote_Addr "194\.152\.129\.*" proper_use
the example above enables my C IP subnet to access my stuff.
Explanation:
Apache can modify the access rights based on anything. In this case we enable only the AW browser (and your personal computer) to access the files IF the visitor is in your world. Any other attempt will lead to a denial of access effectively blocking unauthorized use of your OP.
Most likely you can do similar things in IIS - consult the appropriate documentations.

Hope this helps (comments/clarifications are welcome, flames are forwarded to /dev/null :),
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Virus warning!

Dec 15, 2004, 8:14am
An old virus is masquerading itself as some AW related data.

<http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=PE_FUNLOVE.4099&VSect=T>
<http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/bridex.shtml>

It is appeared lately as "Galery Avatars.zip" attachment.
This particular email I received is from the KC area from a hotspot (wireless internet access point):
----------------
From: <canimationsubmission at rats2u.com>
----------------

Only open attachments from users you trust and you expect to receive some file!!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

AWRPG Discrimination

Dec 16, 2004, 12:46pm
[View Quote] > I agree with Rossyboy here. AWRPG is a company world, since it begins with
> AW. This gives me more incentive to leave AW, permanently. I find that
> AW's attitude in general is dismal, and they seem to be bent on doing
> nothing else other than get money out of people. They can say that AW is
> "the 3D Internet", but I've seen far better virtual worlds.
> http://www.there.com for instance
> I think that the reason nobody seems to be doing anything in AWRPG is
> because it would be effort for no financial gain. Or, the big cheese up top
> is a homophobe himself. LtBrenton signing off. Permanently.
>
> -LtB-ye!

[View Quote] Don't let the door hit your behind

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Jan 5, 2005, 5:40pm
[View Quote] [View Quote]
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Jan 5, 2005, 6:10pm
[View Quote] > Authorization: ANNOYING

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test ^_^

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Apology for the news server

Jan 5, 2005, 6:57pm
Hi folks,

I owe you an apology for todays NG problems. I had to check and cleanup the authorization method for the posting/reading, so I'll have a better understanding how it works.
I had to make sure that the server works in all different circumstances - the cause of the frequent stops.

Thanks you for your understanding!!
--
Andras (with fingers crossed that the server will not collapse :)
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

antispyware

Jan 6, 2005, 5:26pm
[View Quote] > I have used giant antispyware for a long time and found this program the
> best spyware killer around, its beats many other including spybot and adware
> remover. Microsoft recently bought giant antispyware and have released it as
> a free program to help everyone remove spys and browser hijackers from their
> respective computers.
> Download this free program from:
> http://www.Microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&DisplayLang=en

How much did M$ payed to you for advertising this piece of s**** ?

BTW - there is a nice news protocol feature: Cross posting! <and follow-ups> so we don't have to d/l the same ... again in every group.
Learn how to use them please,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

antispyware

Jan 6, 2005, 7:08pm
[View Quote] > yw ah

Sorry Linn, I was in a bad mood :(

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Caps in Names?

Jan 12, 2005, 6:57pm
[View Quote] That was the time I was fiddling with the news server :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Caps in Names?

Jan 12, 2005, 7:37pm
[View Quote] I did :)

Are you happy now?

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

op host on XP-IIS?

http://mauz.info/worldrunning.html
look for "Object Server" for how to set up your OP

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Recent vandalism attack on Tourist

Jan 16, 2005, 4:32pm
[View Quote] > There has recently been a huge vandalism attack on the Tourist Building
> World. Fortunately, due to Shoemaker Village's ActiveWorlds Utility, and
> Andras's GuardBot, the damage was not irreparable. We have caught the
> perpretrator, he is one Gnu32 (cit# 353815). As a fellow world owner, I
> URGE you to blacklist this citizen number, to prevent the same happening to
> your world. Again I say, all thanks go to Shoemaker Village and Andras,
> without whose technology this attack would have been successful.
>
> LtBrenton
> Tourist World Administrator

Khhmmm - I think you should wake up from your dreams!
Vandalism is a common problem in everywhere in the world. Something you can only avoid with a kind atmosphere but not with a police squad. At least this is my experience:) My world is open for tourists since the beginning (1996) and we did not have real problems.
A few here or there can be handled by removing the offending stuff but overall - visitors just love to be there!
Maybe your attitude and your world's policy should be changed so it will not attract vandals?

Just my 2 cents,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

hosting worlds

Jan 22, 2005, 1:30pm
[View Quote] > *Who is David*? Is that his aw nick?

> LNH

No one can post in this NG without his AW name :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

hosting worlds

Jan 22, 2005, 1:31pm
[View Quote] > I won't take away your world I will host it for ten bucks per month :D this
> contact me for more information

[View Quote] Please post your condition (server/connections/uptime/backup/etc.)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

hosting worlds

Jan 22, 2005, 6:23pm
[View Quote] > conections 3Mbps downstream, 256Kbps upstream
> charter cable.

That is only answered one of my questions :(

Good luck,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Contact List Problem

Jan 21, 2005, 6:56am
[View Quote] > It's happening more and more frequently where I can't add contacts to my
> list... No matter how long or short the list is... I really need help with
> this... It's becoming a huge nuisance... Thank You...

It is known that if you change privileges you suddenly lose the ability to add clist members. Just exit from the browser and restart it (without any privileges on).

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Unauthorized GuardBot users

Jan 22, 2005, 1:28pm
Please contact me:

ppp-69-216-117-89.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net

adsl-70-240-216-206.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net

Thanks,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Coming To The Cy's :))

Feb 3, 2005, 4:25pm
[View Quote] > OOOOOOOOOK I got it, http://
> <http://www.awcommunity.org/cyawards>www.awcommunity.org/cyawards
> <http://www.awcommunity.org/cyawards> ... thank you *grammer*!
>
> Also, it would be nice to have longer boxes and boxes that you could
> fill out it's entire length. These boxes are
>
> 1) too small
> 2) you can't fill in the *whole box*, your text gets cut off part way
> through :o/
>
> LNH

Please check your newsreader settings - HTML posting is not welcomed in newsgroups :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Coming To The Cy's :))

Feb 3, 2005, 4:25pm
[View Quote] > Done:)
> Thanks for letting us know!

Please check your newsreader settings - HTML posting is not welcomed in newsgroups :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Worlds?

Feb 11, 2005, 9:25am
[View Quote] > Chris...

> I beg to differ - I can't remember any time when AWTeen had more people in
> it than Broadway during the New Years Eve event. In the screen shots I took
> AWTeen doesn't get even get close.
>
> http://www.broadway-world.com/pics/2005NY02.jpg
> http://www.broadway-world.com/pics/2005NY05.jpg
>
> Regards, Justin

Just In ...

Those charts say differently (well - the disagreement is that the two events was hold on a different time :)

http://www.andras.net/images/AWTeenNy.gif
http://www.andras.net/images/BroadwayNy.gif
http://www.andras.net/images/AWTeen4month.gif
http://www.andras.net/images/Broadway4month.gif

Enjoy,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Feb newsletter

Feb 26, 2005, 3:31pm
[View Quote] <snip>

> dont be sad cuz your mom, nor girlfriend 9or boyfriend im not one to
> judge) didnt give you any....

Touchè!!!

> i think imagine is sweet!

Me too! I even gave some to my wife!!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Xelagot: MySQL driver update

Mar 2, 2005, 3:23pm
[View Quote] > MicroOlap has updated its dbx4mysql.dll driver, used by Xelagots to
> connect to a MySQL database. If you are using this driver, you can
> download the update (version 1.7, 1st March 2005) directly from here:
>
> http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/dbx4mysql.zip
>
> New in this version, among many other things, is that you can attach
> the port number to the hostname in the connection parameters (if the
> port is not the standard one), for example:
> HostName=localhost:2345
> For more info, visit the MicroOlap web site:
> http://microolap.com/products/connectivity/dbx4mysql/download/
>
> The Xelagot SQL introduction page, which also contains a link to this
> driver, is here:
> http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgasdbsqlintro.html
>
> Alex

WOW!!! I'm speechless!!! I would never thought such an original idea myself!!!!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Alphaworld servers lately....

Mar 22, 2005, 10:20pm
[View Quote] > For about the past 2 weeks, the Alphaworld servers for me have been
> soooooooooo sloooowwww. Last night I was scanning a 40x40 coord area of
> town with a xelagot and it took literally 40 minutes.
>
> The rest of the time, the world caches data ridiculously slow...I have to
> just go afk and come back later.
>
> And the most annoying is building. Having the past 2 minutes of work
> suddenly pop and then get a "waiting for server" error...ugh. It's
> impossible to do a cell select and delete it. I bounce, and everything
> deleted is there again.
> My friends notice the same thing. It seems to happen off and on. About
> half the time its been like this for me.
>
> What's going on? >_<

I did not notice any change in the Alpha server's speed. Did you do some traceroute? That could be that your ISP took a cheap route there :(