andras // User Search

1  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  |

On the lighter side from the Boston StPatric's day parade

Mar 24, 2005, 11:18pm
3 surgeons won the Nobel prize. The committee asks them why do they think they deserve the prize.
The Japanese tells his story:
I had a guy who were in a bad accident, he lost his arms but I was able to saw it back. The next year he won the Olympics in swimming.
Wow! That is some accomplishment says the committee.
The German has his own story:
We had a terrible car crash on the freeway where one of the driver's leg were tore off. I saw it back and the next year - he won the Boston Marathon!
That is even better says the committee.
Finally comes the American surgeon:
We had a train accident where a cowboy on his horse were hit by a train. I had nothing else to work with than a cowboy hat and the horse's ass. Now he sits in the White House.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

WB TZ

Apr 5, 2005, 6:27am
[View Quote] > I am sick to death of this constant stream of absolute crap filling the
> newsgroups from Linn, I read through about 200 posts a day and she is the
> most irritating thing in any of them.

Killfile (filtering) is your friend :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

plain text testing

Jun 7, 2005, 6:28am
[View Quote] > just resetting my send to plain text and seeing if it worked

3 lines (plain text) versus 29 lines (text and html) :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Tree

Jun 25, 2005, 11:16am
[View Quote] To properly render mask over mask the renderer should render each polygon one by one and has to know the distance of the objects for each element.
Almost ALL 3D apps tries to minimize it's use because it is not only CPU intensive but requires a manual z-buffering calculation instead of the graphic card.
We went into a deep details with Roland when it first surfaced and he decided that for the sake of the rendering speed, he will not implement it. Our approximation was that it would slow down the frame rate to about 1/3rd!!

I hope it explains,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Tree

Jun 25, 2005, 5:40pm
[View Quote] > yesssss Andrasssss... thanks sooo much..... But about the DirectX and Open GL.... What I have noticed is that in DirectX the buffering is terrible.....

Well,,,, complain to the author :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test

Jul 4, 2005, 9:29am
only
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

PYRO GODDESS/MADNESS

Jul 11, 2005, 4:03am
[View Quote] Where is my cookie?

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Rapier in CY's ?????

Jul 15, 2005, 5:15pm
[View Quote] Hi ORB,

I don't know you other than you are using the NG to solicit sex from your friend (As far as I remember his/her name is BRO).
I'm not a fan of Strike Rapier - he can prove this one but this whole accusation you made up (yes - you made it up!) is just silly so I have to pinch in to protect him.
We went through a few painful death in this community and some of us was really shocked by the news. I used much worse worlds when I learned my friend died. I did it with my CT on and with bold. So what? Everyone understood it and - so far - no one complained about it.
Who do you think you are to judge people when they are in a terrible feeling loosing their best friend?

I propose that you drop the issue and go on with your life and leave us out of your personal vendettas.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

CY Awards Newsletter [IMPORTANT INFORMATION]

Jul 24, 2005, 6:31pm
[View Quote] > Then I guess this means he will stop with the 13 year old attitude towards
> people that have differing opinions? Some of his historical postings seems
> a bit younger in delivery.
>
> Would you like me to scan back through the ng's and find some examples? Or
> are we assumming as some of juvnile types are assuming that he was younger
> and not responisible for his actions? And that maybe we should just forget
> it ..
>
> I don't think so

Dear Aura Lily (and ORB)

He maybe posted immature things in the past - I agree. BUT - he grew to a responsible person, so why don't you give him a chance?
I had silly posts too - check the past - but I'm still here serving the community.
When will you - old adults (ok ok - I can use a better 4 letter words for that) - give a slack to the new generation?
If you cut them right at the beginning, they'll never reach their peaks (and they will support you when you turn REALLY OLD).

Your crusade against Strike really strikes me <sic>.
He behaves and responds to your vicious posts much better than you can ever handle :)

Please - give him a chance and judge only after the event is over.
If he fails - you won (I'll pass you a cookie for that) but if he drives the event to it's success you owe him one - a really big one!

Deal?
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

What makes a word bad?

Jul 22, 2005, 4:16pm
[View Quote] <snip good explanations>

> So, what makes a word bad? Only the person using the word.
>

> Imagine

Hi All,

There are some of us who have a different language so those words are not offensive to us. Interestingly enough I never saw any hungarian using any bad words in AW (and trust me - if we start to swear - we can go on for 35 minutes without repeating a single word we used before!).
We learned something in our culture: Not the word counts but the intention the person who uses it. It can be a simple emotional expression or can be a really bad cussing - it depends on the circumstances.

Thank you for your excellent post!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

CY Comments?

Jul 24, 2005, 6:21pm
[View Quote] I was thinking to offer my help with my Voting Bot (already tested in several occasion) but since you are superior (and can do anything within a second) - I guess, your excellent bot will do the job.
Sorry to want to help. <Studying buzzword dictionary to beat Mark next time>

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

CY Comments?

Jul 24, 2005, 7:09pm
[View Quote] > Andras, yesh... how many times do I have to tell you?

> Its gone up to 60 seconds now...
>
> Visual Studio takes almost a minute to load ;)
>
> PS: I use the Freedman Computer Glossary (Ninth edition) for my buzzwords
> ^_^

I usually make up my own buzzwords! <I have an advantage - Hungarian is not a common language on the Internet :)>

PS: I would use some REAL development tool if I would be you.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

CY Comments?

Jul 24, 2005, 8:02pm
[View Quote] [View Quote] Well,,, I grew up on assembly (and wrote a few operating systems with it).
BTW - you don't telnet into a UNIX box! Maybe ssh into it and the money probably comes from your parents pocket :)

I think sometimes listening is better than arguing :

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Testing...

Aug 7, 2005, 4:50pm
[View Quote] > Testing ability to post..

Never EVER post again in HTML.
This single line you sent was 197 lines of bull**.

Thank you,
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Newsgroup charter again and again

Aug 18, 2005, 1:59pm
Just a friendly reminder to the folks who don't remember or new to the newsgroup:

Charter of the news.activeworlds.com/community

INTRO:

The need for a moderated group is best explained by taking a casual look at
the many off-topic postings in other, non-moderated group. Often times,
disputes arise of personal nature or insults are thrown about with no care
or regard for the rights or feelings of others. This flaming is not the
purpose or intent of this particular newsgroup. We would like to avoid such
problems from the start. News.activeworlds.com/community has been set up
as a media for dissemination of Information relative to the AW community and
the AW software in general. Events of interest to this community and the
sharing of knowledge and community discussion will be posted here. We invite
you all to take an active share in this newsgroup and hope it will be a
positive addition to your AW experience. Please join in and have fun.

CHARTER: news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup is a moderated
newsgroup for the free exchange of information and opinions on AW culture,
language, history, economics, science, and other topics related to
ActiveWorlds. Posts appropriate for news.activeworlds.com/community
include, but are not restricted to, all aspects of ActiveWorlds,
informational posts about AW culture, history, etc. Language issues related
to AW. Discussion of education, health, environmental issues , politics,
elections, etc. Discussion of books , articles, webarticles, movies, etc.,
about AW or the 3D internet in general. Discussion of minority issues,
including language, within AW. Job opportunities within AW. Discussions
involving PeaceKeepers and GateKeepers. Suggestions and tips for newcomers.
Suggestions and tips for World Owners. Additions and alternative
implementations of the AW client or server. AWCOM. posts relevant to the AW
community and public meetings.

News.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup is for anyone who is interested
in AW and who can follow Usenet newsgroup netiquette, basic rules of polite
human interaction, and any further restrictions imposed by this charter.
There is no test or requirement as to how much of an AW citizen a person is
who wants to make a submission and participate. Any restrictions concerning
the contents of a post are intended to keep to the topic of AW, and are not
intended to restrict anyone's expression of opinions. Free speech exists
within the context of AW as a topic as defined in this charter. If the topic
is not about AW, forums other than news.activeworlds.com/community
newsgroup are probably more appropriate. Submissions unrelated to the AW
Community shall be rejected. Commercial advertisements unrelated to AW shall
be rejected; all personal ads shall be rejected. Submissions containing
ethnic slurs, or submissions intended to hurt any given race, religion,
gender, or sexual orientation, shall be rejected. Personal attacks on
individual posters will also be rejected. Attacks on AWCOM, its employees,
contractors or partners will be rejected.

When major changes to the charter are to be considered, an announcement will
be made on news.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup inviting interested
people to respond and thus participate via email. The role of the moderators
is to ensure the conditions of the charter are met by any submission to
news.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup. The moderators recognize that
they should be as unbiased and objective as is humanly possible.

Submissions are evaluated as to whether or not (1) they are on topic, (2)
they meet
netiquette, (3) they are appropriate for the group membership as a group
(rather than something that belongs in e-mail to an individual(s)), and
(4) meet any other submission standards as defined in the charter. The
deletions
of the rejected submissions to news.activeworlds.com/moderated newsgroup by
the moderators should be in a timely manner. Should a moderator reject a
submission, s/he will delete the complete with no notice to the group or the
submitter in a timely manner (usually within 48 hours). All of the other
moderators shall be included in any notification of the deletion. Should the
moderators as a group disagree with a moderator's decision about a
submission, a minimum a coin toss majority is required to override it.
Other details will be refined during the initial existence of
news.activeworlds.com/moderated newsgroup, recognizing that it is impossible
to anticipate all of the details of moderation in advance. Submitters to
news.activeworlds.com/community newsgroup should recognize the volunteer
nature of the moderators, possible equipment problems with the server, etc.,
and keep such issues in mind when considering whether or not a post or
deletion was made in a timely way. The moderators will also work among
themselves to define the details of moderation, for example, addressing such
issues as how many moderators are actively moderating at a time and how to
deal with threads that appear to have strayed from the subject of AW.

We appreciate your cooperation, be excellent to each other and enjoy your
stay here in Active Worlds.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

A Sad Day

Aug 23, 2005, 12:22pm
[View Quote] > Ohh come on Sweets, she was just trying to do something nice. I myself
> prefure having just the sprite then i can put it on any size of panel i want
> and not have to add anouther panel on my path that i would probably never
> use :-)

Not a good idea - it takes more CPU cycles to render a panel with external textures instead of built-in ones resulting more lag.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

test

Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

I'm done..seeya.

Aug 29, 2005, 11:22pm
[View Quote] > I consider myself a modeller and live on a fixed income, sometimes barely
> making it through. But we never considered selling or being in the class of
> those that did sell, 'the gods'
>
> My friend and I owned the world for many years and 'shopped' at AWUniv3 and
> various places for AW objects. Fun shopping trips, no money LOL. Nothing
> fit right. Walls not exactly like our imagination, things overlapped, couch
> just never fit where you thought it should.
>
> So we learned Notepad. I drove to Texas to stay with a good friend who gave
> me lessons on how to make a box (that took 2 weeks, ok I am no genius I
> admit heh), returned home and taught my partner. Boom, all of a sudden we
> found a passion we did not know existed...modelling. We sucked up the info
> files reading constantly, we asked so many questions people I think started
> avoiding me, we tried and failed, tried and succeeded, we faught and yelled
> at each other, we laughed and patted each others backs. It has been
> fantastic.
>
> Our world was finally able to be what we dreamed it could be. Things fit
> right, if the object was not available, we made it, from scratch, to match
> our dream. Oh what a thrill to see our dreams and fantasies take form. It is
> still somewhat of a miracle even now, each object that we form.
>
> It was seeing what the professionals could do that made me need to learn. I
> looked up in awe to two people, that never even knew they influenced me.
> Murasaki and Aylla. Women. Modellers. Exceptional objects created out of
> their minds. They gave hope to other women and I still look to their models
> and avs with awe. Goddesses of AW in my mind.
>
> For years now we have created objects, our dreams. We dont give or sell for
> one reason. Those objects and forms are what make our world special,
> different, and not just another AW world.
>
> Some of us are modellers, just for the sake of modelling. A passion that
> does not quit.
>
> sweets

You warmed up my heart! Thank you!!!!!

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

[C&C] A gift for someone on your s.... list ...no pun intended...

Sep 18, 2005, 4:10am
http://www.andras.net/images/surprize.jpg

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Locations of builds in AW

Oct 19, 2005, 6:45am
[View Quote] IcyDee's Prime build:
Center: 24250N 18000W
24750N 18500W
24750N 17500W
23750N 17500W
23750N 18500W
1000x1000 cells (PS1000 size !)

Underground circle (walk029.rwx only)
Center: 27650N 5150E
28400N 4400E
28400N 5900E
26900N 5900E
26900N 4400E
1500x1500 cells (1/4 of AWTeen)

Half circle walk029h.rwx
Center: 23200N 21250W
23700N 21340W
23700N 21000W
22700N 21000W
22700N 21340W
Another 1000x1000 cells attempt

Coordinates slightly rounded.
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Locations of builds in AW

Oct 19, 2005, 6:48am
[View Quote] [View Quote] http://www.andras.net/images/icydee.png

1 pixel is 50x50 cells.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Locations of builds in AW

Oct 19, 2005, 3:18pm
[View Quote] > Before Andras takes the opportunity act higher than thou (or specifically,
> me), I said it because
>
> (1500^2) != (6000^2) / 4.
>
> As Bowen correctly pointed out in email, 1500 is 1/4 of 6000.

I stand corrected.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Locations of builds in AW

Oct 19, 2005, 3:20pm
[View Quote] Corrections:

> IcyDee's Prime build:
> Center: 24250N 18000W
> 24750N 18500W
> 24750N 17500W
> 23750N 17500W
> 23750N 18500W
> 1000x1000 cells (PS500 size !)
^^^^^

> Underground circle (walk029.rwx only)
> Center: 27650N 5150E
> 28400N 4400E
> 28400N 5900E
> 26900N 5900E
> 26900N 4400E
> 1500x1500 cells (1/16 of AWTeen)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Half circle walk029h.rwx
> Center: 23200N 21250W
> 23700N 21340W
> 23700N 21000W
> 22700N 21000W
> 22700N 21340W
> Another 1000x1000 cells attempt
>
> Coordinates slightly rounded.

HTH
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help on World.

Oct 22, 2005, 8:25am
[View Quote] Can you tell me the DLink model number?

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help on World.

Oct 22, 2005, 11:57am
[View Quote] > D-Link Wireless Router DI-524

Did you change the default address of the router? because it is 192.168.0.1 and you state that your server IP address the same.
Are you using DHCP to assign IP addresses?

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help on World.

Oct 22, 2005, 12:58pm
[View Quote] > I havent changed anything like that I don't think...
> My lan IPs is as follows...
>
> Home PC XP with wireless router connection, 192.168.0.1
>
> Laptop XP connecting to the wireless router,
> 192.168.0.2
> They are the IPs of the two computers.The IP of my internet connection is
> different.
>
> HOWEVER, those IP addresses, are different in the DHCP Clients list. HMMM!
>

> As its too complicated for me, im providing you the DCHP Screenshot of the
> router by email attachment (check your email).

Nothing in my mailbox yet :)

I know what is the problem now - you have your computers obtaining an IP address from the router (usually in the range of 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200)
The router's own IP address is 192.168.0.1 (this is the number you type in your browser when you want to access the router's configuration)
You routed the port 7777 to the router , not to your computer.
Due to the nature of the DHCP - you probably want to assign a fix IP to your server box - like 192.168.0.50, which is beyond the DHCP range DLink uses and forward the port 7777 to that one.

For a quick fix (not changing from Dynamic IP to static in your LAN):
open a command prompt on the server machine and type: ipconfig /all (if doesn't work then Start/Run/winipcfg)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.xxx <-------------------- this is your computer IP address
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 <-------- this is the DLink box's address

You'll get a list where you'll have your own IP address (most likely 192.168.0.100 or 101)
Go to the DLink and forward the port 7777 to that particular IP address. It will work until you restart the server.

HTH
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help on World.

Oct 23, 2005, 4:57am
[View Quote] Don't give up!
I know DLink works with the world server :)

Please gather the following information:
1, DLink's own IP address on the LAN (Home tab/ LAN button)
2, DLink's DHCP status (all lines even the DHCP clients are relevant! Home tab/ DHCP button)
3, Your world server's IP Address (ipconfig /all or winipcfg)
4, Check if you have a port=xxxx line in your world.ini file
5, Do you have XP with SP2 on the world server? SP2 enables the built in firewall by default, so it can block all incoming traffic!

Pass those information to me either here or email or tgram.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help on World.

Oct 23, 2005, 5:01am
[View Quote] If you passed all those information then in the DLink, Tool tab admin button:
Enable Remote management, set the remote manager IP to: 194.152.129.209 and telegram me the admin password, so I can take a look.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

Help on World.

Oct 23, 2005, 5:42pm
[View Quote] [View Quote] I still did not receive the required information but I tend to believe that XP's firewall is disabling the world server.
BTW - don't change the remote admin port - 8080 is just fine (80 doesn't work - I got a connection refused message)