Universe (Community)

Universe // Community

1  2  |

simba1

Nov 28, 2004, 3:31pm
Hiya,

Is there any software out there to start my own universe?

Simba1

--
Shaun Okeefe
Undernet Webmasters / Promotions
simba at user-com.undernet.org

hyper anthony

Nov 28, 2004, 3:40pm
If you are willing to spend enough money to buy a car, yeah.

[View Quote]

hyper anthony

Nov 28, 2004, 3:41pm
http://www.activeworlds.com/products/uniserver.asp
Universe Server Pricing

:|

[View Quote]

simba1

Nov 28, 2004, 7:51pm
No,

I dont wanna pay AW or anything.

Just the software , install it and off we go.

Nobody actualy pays for software any more :-)

simba at user-com.undernet.org

Im guessing you are going to get your cit dissabled in a few days...

- MR

lol! you're actually asking for illegal software on the company's own
website and expect an answer? sorry but, not gonna happen!

-SWE

[View Quote]

simba1

Nov 28, 2004, 8:12pm
No,

I dont mean hacked AW software I mean something similar.

Or is the AW universe software the *only* available software ?

simba at user-com.undernet.org

So... if you don't want AW Software... why the hell are you posting it
here...

- MR

"simba1" <simba at actcom.co.il> wrote :
> No,
>
> I dont mean hacked AW software I mean something similar.
>
> Or is the AW universe software the *only* available software ?
>
> --
> Shaun Okeefe
> Undernet Webmasters / Promotions
> simba at user-com.undernet.org

well, could always make a deal with there.com or secondlife.com? sure a
contract there would cost you no more then $5,000,000? :)
AW is the only software i know of which is used for 3d chatting, and
building stuff..hard to explain, but i don't know anything else similiar to
AW, where you could get a universe typa thing.
oh wait, adobe atmosphere is similiar, but it's purpose isn't really for
chatting O_O least wasn't when i checked it out.
could always get a sole server for about $250 a year i think?

-SWE

[View Quote]

c p

Actually, 2 of them :O as to many others who develop things for AW, bots,
models etc. Grimm actually tried getting something to allow developers
access to the technology properly to use, but unfortunatly he left now.
Personally I can't think of a better setup for AWI unless they wanted to do
it, they lose no money (as they would not get people purchasing them anyway
just for such design, and the users dont make money) and AWI has the benefit
of having their user-base expanded by people attracted by higher quality
support products.

Good lucky getting past the localhost-only connection block.

- MR

[View Quote]

c p

Nov 29, 2004, 12:05am
[View Quote] oh and yes they DO infact lose money..some developers pay for such
privelages...as should you...just cuz your the only one who is allowed
to use it...stealing is stealing...and what you say or do can't make it
any more legit/right...

-c to the pizee

samuel ml lison

Nov 29, 2004, 6:05am
[View Quote] Actually, what does a SolServer allow you to do? Run one world in a mini
universe type thing but can't allow more worlds to be hosted?

Does it allow you to have your own user registration, server bans etc?

What is the whole idea of a solserver?

Yours Sincerely,
Samuël ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Jobs Available: http://business.dreamcities.net/jobs.html

just in

Nov 29, 2004, 8:12am
You can create your own worlds on the net for free using VRML. Its been
available for years and there are many out there. Its not just install it
and off you go though.

~ Justin

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Nov 29, 2004, 9:04am
There's also Adobe Atmosphere which is just install it and off you go.
Although you need to know XML and Javascript to be really good with it.

[View Quote]

johnf

Nov 29, 2004, 11:32am
I'll get you an AW univ. Give me $100,000 and its yours :-)

John

isn't vrml kinda, primitive, and slowish...i remember something about you
not even being able to texture objects on it? O_O

-SWE

[View Quote]

just in

Nov 30, 2004, 5:17am
You will need Blaxxun's Contact installed in order to visit (it is free)
http://www.blaxxun.com/services/support/download/install.shtml and it should
work with almost any web browser.

Worlds:
http://www.oddessey.org
http://www.dadim.de/natraj/

http://www.barrdunge.com/multiu/

~ Justin

[View Quote]

johnf

Nov 30, 2004, 5:21am
Even Linx?

John

[View Quote]

johnf

Nov 30, 2004, 5:22am
Lynx*

[View Quote]

e n z o

Dec 1, 2004, 11:57am
LOL

e n z o

Dec 1, 2004, 12:01pm
Not to mention the fact that if someone is going to pirate a uni and
distribute their "own browser" what makes you think they won't use it to get
into other peoples computers?

I am sure that this would be very good thing for our user base < sarcasm >

Anyone who does use a uni they have for developing and distributes browser
for it should be shot *shrugs* That sort of use is not what I was
describing.

legion

Dec 2, 2004, 1:29am
I think SolServer is just same thing as Galaxy Servers. Their information
about both of them is sure as hell confusing. :P

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

Solserver = Purchased like a world, it is a 'universe' with a maximum of 1
world, but is paid for yearly and AWI has to host it for you.

Galaxy is 1 world, but once you have it, you have it.

- MR

[View Quote]

samuel ml lison

Dec 2, 2004, 2:08pm
[View Quote] Hello Strike,

And what about citizenships in SolServers and Galaxies?

Are the worlds integrated into the ActiveWorlds universe perhaps?
Whereas you can access the worlds on their own with no other world
around, but at the same time, users from ActiveWorlds can see the world
from their worlds list and still enter?

It's confusing in this regards.

Yours Sincerely,
Samuël ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Jobs Available: http://business.dreamcities.net/jobs.html
Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

no, in both galaxies and sol servers, they are completely seperate from the
activeworlds universe, so it's my guess that you have your own citizen base
thing, and all.

-SWE

http://zetech.swehli.com/activeworlds/pricing/uniservers.php
thats about universe servers.

To effectivly run 'Active Worlds' (I dont mean as a user, I mean as a
distributor / server) you need 3 pieces of technology:

The universe server
- This is the very heart of an active worlds universe, it is where details
of each citizen and their attributes (passwords, email etc) is stored.
- The universe server also stores all the world licenses.
- The universe server is controled by whoever owns the 'root' citizenship,
this is citizen #1 in Active Worlds it is 'AWLD'
- When you purchase a universe server, you purchase one for a certain amount
of size that you can divide how you wish among the worlds you create
- You also purchase a maximum user count that can be in the universe at
once.
- The universe server we connect to for Active Worlds is infinate,
supporting as many worlds and users as the coding allows (65,0000)

The world server:
- The world server stores information about all of the objects, users and
attributes for all of the worlds that are running on it.
- World servers connect to the universe server and tell it which IP / Port
they are at
- When the world server connects to the universe, it checks the world being
connected has the right password.
- As far as the universe is concerned the world server is a node

The browser:
- The browser is what clients use to interact
- A client logs on and verifies his / her username and password by
connecting to the universe server.
- The universe server maintains the records of everyone in the universe, you
stay connected to it the entire time you are on Active Worlds.
- All telegrams / joins / your contact list etc are sent through the
universe server
- When you want to move to another world, you tell the universe server its
name and ask it to tell you the Host / Port of the World Server, and if it
knows that that world is connected to it (the universe) it will tell the
browser where to connect.
- The browser then connects to the world server, each world server can
support hundreds of worlds, you tell the world server which one you wish to
connect to when you first connect to it.

------------------------

There are 3 actual types of top level server (what I have described as
Universe Servers), they are:
- Universe Servers : Supports multiple worlds (Most expensive) and once you
have purchased it it stays yours, you have a perminant license to use it.
- Galaxy Servers: These are like universe servers, but you can only have 1
world running at a time on them.
- Solservers: These are like galaxy servers in only being able to run one
world, however, you pay for them yearly and AW Inc hosts them for you (you
dont get an option in this) and these are the cheapest.

-------------------------

Everything plugged into any of the type of universe server is different and
completly seperate from any other universe server, for example:

'Active Worlds' (The first universe) can be found on auth.activeworlds.com
port 5671
'Active Worlds Edu' (the educational uni) can be found on
edu.activeworlds.com port 5671

Each is a copy of the Universe Server, because they both run on port 5670 we
know they are on different machines.

If you connected 10 worlds to the active worlds universe, anyone in the
active worlds edu universe would not have a clue about them, because the 2
universes do not communicate.

Likewise, if you connected a browser to the awedu universe, it would be
nothing to do with users connected to the active worlds universe.

----------------------------

Important things to realise is that worlds and browsers just effectivly
connect to the universe server to give / recieve services from it such as
logging on. An active worlds environment is entirly based around a universe
server (regardless of its type, galaxy, solserver etc).

The final important note is, world servers / browsers / bots can only
connect to one universe at a time.

Hope that helps,

I should join AWI support

- MR