Program upgrades (Community)

Program upgrades // Community

1  2  |

bodhitah

Oct 7, 2004, 7:20pm
I am wondering when we will see any significant upgrades to the
ActiveWorlds program?

Not just patches, bug fixes or the mostly useless streaming media
capabilities, but serious new features or new AWI worlds with decidedly
unique or never before seen attributes?

Are we destined to continue paying a moderately exorbitant yearly fee
for a stagnant, outmoded, outdated program or is AWI going to step up
and give its users something worthwhile in a timely manner?

I'm not looking for childish, snide comments from the juvenile peanut
gallery here either, but hopefully a response from someone employed by AWI.

B.

Wow arnt you the cocky one.

You will get the upgrades once the developers finish creating 4.1's alpha
and the Alpha and Beta team suitably test it, until then... why don't you
stop using this outdated stagnent software?

- MR

[View Quote]

jaguar hahn

Oct 7, 2004, 8:31pm
so next version is 4.1? I thought it would be 3.7...If not, then why not
4.0...
Don't know - just wasting space asking dumb questions :P

Jaguar Hahn - 348341

As far as I know there has been so much dev put into other projects it will
all be brought together from all the custom builds and put into a single
very highly powered browser. (ie: 4.1)

- MR

[View Quote]

sw comit

Oct 7, 2004, 10:34pm
Vehicles and particle effects (sparks, real flames, smoke) are coming as far
as I know...

[View Quote]

ryan

Oct 7, 2004, 11:22pm
Is this just a rumor? Vehicles are something I'd really, really like to
see for AW.

Ryan

[View Quote]

anduin

Oct 7, 2004, 11:37pm
[View Quote] I personally thought the new browser updates were great. The new browser
look and feel are wonderful. Haven't yet been able to test streaming,
but as soon as my phone company gets to installing a PORT for my ADSL
access here, I'll be sure to test it all out.

> Not just patches, bug fixes or the mostly useless streaming media
> capabilities, but serious new features or new AWI worlds with decidedly
> unique or never before seen attributes?

So you don't want patches and bug fixes? Which is most important? I
would have thought patches and bug fixes to be #1 on anybodies priority
list.

> Are we destined to continue paying a moderately exorbitant yearly fee
> for a stagnant, outmoded, outdated program or is AWI going to step up
> and give its users something worthwhile in a timely manner?

The fee for ActiveWorlds is not much to ask for. ActiveWorlds will
always remain *ActiveWorlds*. You talk as if you want ActiveWorlds to
completely change and become something else other than *ActiveWorlds*.

I went to There Inc. for a while and thought "Wow, wonderful graphics
and wonderful features" - but got sick of it quite quickly. I mean, the
new building features, the voice chat and avatar customization and
animation is great, but AW remains AW. AW called me back after some time
for its originality and its community. AW is much more customizable for
the user, although custom avatars are not yet here, if you own your own
world, your limits of customization are pretty much endless.

ActiveWorlds has bots, scripting (in bots), .rwx models, textures and
more textures. Thanks to the community here in ActiveWorlds. And you can
use many of these things at no extra cost (except those that dedicate
their modeling skills to a business ;o))

If you mean updates like 3d engine and physics engines, then yes, I will
agree. I believe we were looking into that Quake engine a while ago, but
even now that is outdated. Wouldn't mind seeing physics like in Half
Life 2, Far Cry and Doom III now would we? But what are the costs of
such things?
Do you think they could afford such licenses with the current $6.95
monthly fee from every citizen?

> I'm not looking for childish, snide comments from the juvenile peanut
> gallery here either, but hopefully a response from someone employed by AWI.

You should have made this post private to AWI then, to their e-mail. Not
made it public by posting in a public Newsgroup :o)

Anduin

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All (http://www.dreamcities.net)

anduin

Oct 7, 2004, 11:38pm
[View Quote] Wonderful - cannot wait!

Anduin

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All (http://www.dreamcities.net)

light form

Oct 7, 2004, 11:53pm
promises promises. Can we expect NewAW before...or after?

On another note, when can we expect a webpage face-lift? Would be nice to
get one of those with this '4.1' you speak of, or sooner ;)

LF

bodhitah

Oct 8, 2004, 12:20am
"I'm not looking for childish, snide comments from the juvenile peanut
gallery here either,"

I added that line because I knew you'd have the first childish, snide
comment.

You are so predictable, Markie punk.

[View Quote] > Wow arnt you the cocky one.
<snip>

light form

Oct 8, 2004, 12:47am
Markie punk. Catchy; I like it. Condecending, yet playful. I give it an 8.

LF

[View Quote] I give it a 2.3 due to bodhitah's attitude in general to everything not him.

light form

Oct 8, 2004, 1:15am
Thats a 5.2 average there for Bodhitah. Things arent looking good at this
point in the game. The crowed is silent...on thing on their minds...Markie
punks response. Swift and witty? Or slow and painful.

Don't forget to join Bowen after the match for a post-game wrap up.

LF

Of course, the absolutly enormous power behind the 4.x is the server-side
technology making things like RPG's with 10's of thousands of simultainious
people, session-by-session rights and even view (of course this is if AWI
ever releases the framework for the community developers to do this).
Granted NewAW may be taking eons and complete when it should have only taken
4 month, but the idea works and if you think things like Mutation and AWRPG
are good now you would find it hard to BELIEVE the possibilities if they
were on one of these servers.

Also brilliant back end database selectability this means that things like
MySQL are now able to be used meaning you could do backups in seconds with a
single shell command.

Also, this nifty little thing at the bottom of
http://objects.activeworlds.com/AXTest/default.html, uh... not sure if im
allowed to give that out but what the hell.

Voice over IP is of course coming very soon and already has a fully working
implimentation.

Other things ive seen are fixed camera modes, web page browser control etc.

Were also looking at a complete security upgrade using a lot more tactful
encryption, so while useless if Sleepy E is bored one day; for every other
person who wants to try it, AW should become a lot more harder to break.

Sounds like there are also plans in the pipe for dynamic object properties
and world properties (notice how the dialogs changed several versions back
to support dynamically created options menus).

Andddd so on and so forth...

In short, as long as the AWI coders can somehow make the framework secure
enough for general release you can expect a set of Gen-3 (MMO) RPG's, ermm
trying to think of an example... ok, You walk into an area thats foggy, as
you get closer to the centre of it the world server updates the world
settings gradually increasing the level of fog just for your individual
avatar up every few seconds or so when you move about, making the fog appear
to be changing density.

[View Quote]

bodhitah

Oct 8, 2004, 2:12am
Ahh Bowen...such as low score? Maybe because you didn't get to be first
childish response?

[View Quote] [View Quote]

[View Quote] Trust me, it's not a big thing on my list. But when your mother is
gorean, you tend to inherit her attitude problem when it comes to deal
with real people.

e n z o

Oct 8, 2004, 12:46pm
Thanks for the response Anduin.

I thought 3.6 was pretty significant myself and it JUST CAME OUT!

But... let me say a few words about upcoming releases just to
appease/confirm/alienate people who didn't think it was so significant and
find streaming media trite. We are currently working with an alpha
(inhouse) version of a new release. It is not called "4.1" or "4.x" at this
point (no matter what Strike might tell you. We are also patching and
fixing small issues with 3.6

The new release will not be in beta for several months. When it does go
into beta I am sure we will let you all know cuz it will be very cool :)
We will probably post some of the new features we are working on in the next
few months (but some of the rumors/wishlist items already expressed here are
true or at least likely).

That being said I am sure that as soon as our next release comes out someone
will say, "when we will see any significant upgrades to the ActiveWorlds
program?" (always cracks me up : )

and BTW... when I tried out THERE recently I thought it was cool for about 5
minutes, then I spent all my $$$ on a new hairdo and went to the beach, you
know the WATER is a FLAT SOLID PANEL??? I think I might write THERE about
adding some significant upgrades!!!

:P

You should have got an account named 'active worlds inc' it would make a
rather interesting situation to have the actual CEO of a rival company in
for a visit.

- MR

"e n z o" <enzo at activeworlds.com> wrote>
and BTW... when I tried out THERE recently I thought it was cool for about 5
minutes, then I spent all my $$$ on a new hairdo and went to the beach, you
know the WATER is a FLAT SOLID PANEL??? I think I might write THERE about
adding some significant upgrades!!!

e n z o

Oct 8, 2004, 1:10pm
Heh... I tried but I got ejected!

LOL

andras

Oct 8, 2004, 1:39pm
[View Quote] > Heh... I tried but I got ejected!

> LOL

Sounds familiar isn't it?
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

e n z o

Oct 8, 2004, 1:46pm
heck... where do you think i got the idea

:P

[View Quote] Ohhhh you got that 1 in there didnt you :O

Now you see the 'intelligence' based company would reporgram the build 21
Customs Aide to something a bit more well... clever, centralised DB for
tracking things like monitored IP's (say there.com's offices, anything in
..edu etc [I did this in AWEdu, twas rather effective]).

Throw in some chat monitoring, if people start mentioning there.com and such
be alerted to it over the network so if someone has the time they can drop
in and challenge them.

- MR

e n z o

Oct 8, 2004, 2:52pm
BTW the namecalling posts have been deleted, responders will be locked out

Would help if you made mention of which ones were gone because quite a few
threads have turned to name calling and may have been deleted.

- MR

[View Quote]

light form

Oct 8, 2004, 6:51pm
All this talk of upgrades to the software, and community (AW Primes cell
space expansion) has got everyone in a pretty good mood, but I've still got
something on my mind I think some people want us to forget with all of this
nice PR work.

When will we get an offical stance/response from AWI on Kellie/MM? Can we
expect this in the Newsletter, or will we just be left haning?

Respectfully ;)

LF

legion

Oct 8, 2004, 7:08pm
Light Form, please see my reply to "For Kellie Williams" thread or click
here: news:415abcfb$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com (I think this link works?).

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

legion

Oct 8, 2004, 7:12pm
UPDATE: Yep it worked. Certain newsgroup links didn't worked for me years
ago. I guess it's either that old Outlook Express on my old Windows 95
computer was buggy years ago or the links points to thread either previously
deleted or gone. :)

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld
Governor of Commonwealth of Rockford (state)
[View Quote]

light form

Oct 8, 2004, 7:48pm
I have read the thread, and I also believe I responded to it. Please read my
response then.
You're statements, however, do not answer my or the communities questions on
what the situation is, no matter how futile it is in asking AWI for a
response.

LF

ciena

Oct 8, 2004, 7:49pm
guys if its a business decision they dont have to tell us anything. its
their business not ours. if u owned a business im sure u woudn't discuss
business matters with employees. I hate to see her gone too from her job but
it is their business not ours. (in my opinion)
[View Quote]

ryan

Oct 8, 2004, 7:53pm
This has been confirmed for a while now ..I don't think AWI is gonna say
anything public about it.

Ryan