Newsgroups (Community)

Newsgroups // Community

1  2  3  4  5  6  |

I think that risks excluding members of the community, after all, it is the CY awards that are part of the CY awards ceremony. Not the actual world, even if they do get promotions.

You mean a password for each citizen number?

SW Chris

That would also prevent Johnny from uninstalling AW and then reinstalling it
just so he can set his own password. ;)

SW Chris

I mean will the be any fixed limitation if u cant proove ur age online (or reserve the right not to)

Well then the CY committee better do something about that. They have to
achieve a balance.

SW Chris

Man you're popping them before I can even read em. ":o

Chris

[View Quote]

lady gabrielle

Nov 6, 2002, 8:10pm
SW why must someone always be afraid.. the point was harmony.... *Opinions
as like rear-ends... everyones got one... but not everyone wants to hear
them*
Im just sayin like i tried to say before.. its time for the Civil war to
end.. there is NO winner... so just DROP it SW... How hard is that?

LG

[View Quote]

elyk

Nov 6, 2002, 8:41pm
I think that you should keep an eye on the newsgroups as you stated, but not
to the point to where you have ppl telling you what THEY want deleted. If we
did it that way, then anyone could come up to you and tell you "Delete this!
I find it offensive!" When, in reality, maybe that post wasn't meant to
offend. Maybe it was an important post that someone just took the wrong way.
Besides, I think you (E N Z O) have the smarts to determine what is wrong or
right in the newsgroups. If you have people doing it for you, then things
will get deleted that may be important to those who posted it. In other
words, be cautious, but not TOO cautious. Occasional "I disagrees" are fine
I think, if they are courteous and respectful about it. Honestly, I think
they are putting you to too much work than needs to be done. You are a busy
person, you shouldnt have to hold peoples hands. Otherwise, this is a great
idea ;o)
------
Elyk
[View Quote]

syntax

Nov 6, 2002, 8:58pm
*Angry-o-meter goes off the charts*
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Nov 6, 2002, 9:01pm
Excellent idea........ thank you

[View Quote]

kerstin

Nov 6, 2002, 9:34pm
bravo!

[View Quote]

kerstin

Nov 6, 2002, 9:34pm
Many, many thanks, enzo :)

Kerstin

[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 6, 2002, 10:32pm
E N Z O...I implore you to reconsider on the Cy's rating.
If the Cys have an adult themed world win and all that happens on stage is
the Recipient receiving their award, it would seem harmless?
What will be created other wise is an elimination of teens participation
should the Cys decide to allow adult themed worlds to participate:(

anduin

Nov 6, 2002, 11:30pm
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> spat out the following:

>I mean will the be any fixed limitation if u cant proove ur age online (or reserve the right not to)

You don't have to set a password if you don't want to. That option will be available for parents if they 'wish' to password protect their childs access to worlds.

--
,,,,,
(o o)

Ok I misunderstood the post. I took it to mean that you don't like
dissenting opinions about any subject because of their very nature, which
would be understandable. But it doesn't promote a good free thinking
environment.

And that was my point. I'm sorry for going after you. Forgive me? :)

Chris

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 6, 2002, 11:40pm
nope then we would be right back where we started

That sums it up perfectly I think. :)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 6, 2002, 11:45pm
I think where we were would be a ton more better than where we are going:(

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 6, 2002, 11:49pm
well I think E N Z O can and will do what's right smilesssssss

elyk

Nov 6, 2002, 11:52pm
Thats just the point......people take things WAY too seriously. E N Z O
shouldnt have to watch over us as if he were babysitting. Isn't it enough
that he has done all that he has done so far? I mean look at how AW has
developed. Now just because 2 or 3 people made a post complaining to E N Z O
that they are offended, I'm guessing they expect E N Z O to drop everything
and come rushing to hold hands and monitor the newsgroups so nobody is hurt.
C'mon, we are mostly adults here....we don't need chaperones. Yes, I do
think that AWI can keep an eye on the newsgroups but not to where we can't
say "I disagree" without it being deleted. As long as the disagreement is
respectful and not rude, then I dont see a problem with it. This isn't
"Blues Clues" on CD-Rom ;o)
[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 6, 2002, 11:56pm
BB thinks Rick needs to take his time and think this out....remember, you
could be making VR history with moves like this....:) Take your time and
consult some "higher-ups" <looks upward>

AW is making VR history whether we think so or not....:)

You're right. We don't need chaperons. But we DO need mods who actively
monitor this newsgroup.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 12:19am
Linn....what were looking at here is this possible scenario;

1. Cys decide to allow adult themed worlds to participate
a. No person under 18 would be in attendance.
b. No person under 18 would be allowed to participate for an award.
We have very talented and giving young adults in activeworlds!
Why eliminate them when the only thing they would be exposed to is a
persons name and award?

elyk

Nov 7, 2002, 12:38am
When a world wins an award. It encourages people to go see that world.
People WANT to view the world that achieved that award. If you enter an
adult world into the nominations, and it wins, then people are going to want
to view that world. This includes children too. They can't tell the worlds
content by the name. People aren't just exposed to "the name."

[View Quote] I hardly think adult entertainment is put into the same category as normal
entertainment. That's why regular cable doesn't have porn channels readily
available. There has to be some control on adult material.

Erm, methinks we're going a bit too far here, Mr. Noll. Just because an
adult world gets nominated for/wins a CY award doesn't mean you should
lock down the CYAWARDS ceremony to R or X rated status. As others have
pointed out, the only thing that's going to be mentioned at the awards
are the winners! It's not as if the CY Committee will be giving guided
tours of the winning worlds!

I once again direct you all to the example of an R-rated movie winning
an Oscar. It's not as if they show the movie to the audience, they just
announce the winner, everyone cheers, the winners give their acceptance
speeches, and everyone goes home. Now, if some kid goes and rents this
movie after watching the awards on TV, it's not the fault of the
Academy, nor should any onus be placed on them in the first place. This
is where the whole parenting argument comes in. The same can be said for
the CY Awards and its ceremonies. The CY Awards are for recognizing
talent and skill, not for advertising worlds and philosophies.

I admire your desire to make sure everything remains suitable for
children in AW, ENZO, but let's not go hog-wild with the idea, ok?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Sometimes, the worst mistakes are made with the best intentions...
robrod at prism.net

elyk

Nov 7, 2002, 12:56am
Weren't the CY Awards perfectly fine with everybody last year and the years
before? Why not just make the rules like they were last year before all of
this crap happened....everyone seemed to be happy with that. NO new rules.
[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 1:08am
I might add to Goobs post;

If we lock the Cy doors to young adults, we would be starting some really
big issues here.

For instance, this newsgroup.

The topic "Gor" or even "Adult theme" or any other word that can possibly
peak a child's interest in "exploring" the Activeworlds universe would need
to be monitored to block any chances a young adult might see it.

In a past thread it was mentioned and agreed that the ngs had created as
much if not more interest for our children to see what the heck we are
talking about.

E N Z O....we are leaving ourselves wide open to having to police anything
in here that people can find abusive in their views.

A ton of topics just because of an inserted innocent word could become
taboo.

Then there is the monitoring of what is said on radio stations throughout AW
worlds.

The Cys have never been biased against anything. They have existed because
of that non bias....and of course the CommunitY's love for them:)

Please E N Z O....pleeease reconsider.

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 1:30am
Yes Elyk,

We never had this much uproar before:(
The Cys have never had an age limit even on the volunteers.
There are some wonderful young adults who also would have to be let go:(
And also some other groups that would have to stop participating.
AWTeen has become a great yearly preshow hosting world that would have
to cease it's hosting of it.
*feeling a lil sick in the tummy right now*

just in

Nov 7, 2002, 1:34am
Kill all of them. Clear the slate... (or at least anything over a month
old)

Then put expiry dates on so they remove themselves.

This is the practice of most newsgroups and I don't see any good reason to
keep old postings that have to get reloaded in their entirity whenever
refreshing from scratch.

Downloads this time from newsgroups... beta 5553, bots 4326, community
22849, general discussion 8542, worldbuilders 17156.... This is
ridiculous!

Regards, Justin

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  6  |