Newsgroups (Community)

Newsgroups // Community

1  2  3  4  5  6  |

e n z o

Nov 7, 2002, 1:20pm
ENZO wants to make sure that WE are not making AW history whether we think
so or not.

I'm not ignoring it whatsoever; I'm fully aware that a byproduct of
winning a CY Award is that you might get a few more visitors than you
normally would. But that still doesn't invalidate my argument. Why
should that prevent worthy contenders from winning an award? If an
adult-oriented world truly had the best objects or avatars (even if some
of them aren't entirely "proper") or what-have-you, why should they be
denied the recognition just because some curious 12-yr-old might visit
their world afterwards? Should the Academy not recognize well done
R-rated movies simply because some kid might rent that movie after
seeing it win an Oscar? I think not. Once again, it's up to the parents
to make sure their kids don't go where they're not supposed to, not the
CY Committee.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Turning a blind eye doesn't make the problem go away.
robrod at prism.net

I said R rated movies, not X, as, if I'm not mistaken, minors are not
supposed to be watching R rated movies anymore than they should be
watching X rated ones. And, if I recall correctly, there have been
plenty of R rated movies that have won some sort of Oscar. (maybe not
Best Picture, but an Oscar is an Oscar)

At any rate, thank you for clearing that up. I was afraid AWI would
start trying to legislate the community into oblivion. :P

Just what we need in AW... virtual politics!
robrod at prism.net

daphne

Nov 7, 2002, 2:11pm
Should I have repeated my feelings about the community awards event
promoting Adult ONLY content/conduct and inhumane practices, whether
consentual or not, so you could fully understand why I feel the way I do???

Like you said in your signature... Turning a blind eye doesn't make the
problem go away...

Yes, I can see where your comming from, but things only advance and evolve by making history. All depends on how its done.

binarybud

Nov 7, 2002, 4:21pm
good point...:) AW should make the history not AWI :) Gotcha...:)

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 7, 2002, 5:52pm
I meant it in the same vein as the anti-cigarette ads.... "Make smoking
history"

binarybud

Nov 7, 2002, 7:43pm
LOL oh my I See....... yea even better point!

[View Quote]

elyk

Nov 7, 2002, 9:30pm
Exactly! Well put Daphne.
[View Quote]

elyk

Nov 7, 2002, 9:38pm
What Daphne is saying is that they shouldn't promote that kind of adult
content. After the CY Awards, I visited the adult world that won the award
and found some very inappropriate pictures of a woman sitting on a guys lap,
naked and having sex. This shouldnt be displayed as some of AW's "best". Do
you ever watch the news reports about the types of websites that are online
now? You don't see them promoting that. I believe the news described those
types of pictures as "filth." Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the
world was filth....but some of their content is. The CY Awards are a
"Community" thing. People of all ages make up the community, including
children. If we promote that kind of content, then it will bring more of a
negative impression to people about ActiveWorlds.

Some people... :)

I think this accentuates the point that we do need some active moderators in
here. They're the key to a happy newsgroup. The mood has lightened
considerably (for the most part) since all these posts have been deleted.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 10:41pm
Ok ok ok....we will have to put our thinking caps on:)
Thanks for clarifying that E N Z O:)

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 10:48pm
I think besides a Christmas Bingo there should be other religous beliefs
Bingo:)

jstone2004

Nov 7, 2002, 10:53pm
Even I will have to speak out against this. As the AWTeen Community
Relations Officer, it is not right to ban an AWI sponsored world from a huge
event such as this.

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 10:55pm
Oh...and since I have seen adult type chat in citbingo, I would like to
request there be a world rating on citbingo...that or under 18 bingo and
over 18 bingo please:)

jstone2004

Nov 7, 2002, 10:56pm
There isn't a solution, or at least not an easy one. Having it on two nights
would alienate a large part of the community from the main awards. Either
way, one part of the community will be alienated, from how it seems. Either
it will be the teens, or the adult worlds. Which will the Cy's choose?

elyk

Nov 7, 2002, 10:58pm
With all due respect. I think now you are just trying to pick out events to
direct attention to them instead of on CY. Citbingo doesn't really promote
anything.....its a game world. CY is a little different. ;o)

BINGO!

SW Chris

[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 11:07pm
Wrong Elyk...as long as adult content chat happens in any world where under
18 years old might visit, then same rules would apply.
And not trying to redirect people...just trying to bring to the surface
where other places are going to be effected so they can possibly prepare.

antigone

Nov 7, 2002, 11:09pm
That's going to be a VERY hard decision for them to make jstone:(
Not only would teens be banned from attending but could not act anymore as
volunteers on the team nor hold the awteen preshow party.
I will be acting as advisor with TZ and CW and Weebs, so lets cross our
fingers I can help them to make everyone happy:)

talisan

Nov 7, 2002, 11:15pm
With all due respect to you Elyk, but it appears that you are attempting to
cause deliberate trouble with some of your recent posts.

> What Daphne is saying is that they shouldn't promote that kind of adult
> content. After the CY Awards, I visited the adult world that won the award
> and found some very inappropriate pictures of a woman sitting on a guys
lap,
> naked and having sex.

Where the heck was this? You won't find this in GZ on any world I've ever
visited. But if you did, you went into an X rated world. Certainly wasn't
GorVernA. I'd appreciate knowing which world so I can see this for myself.

> This shouldnt be displayed as some of AW's "best".

Why not? Why should a world, because it has a nude picture in it, be
discluded from receiving an award if it deserves to for the merits of the
award and by popular vote? 2 worlds you object to did win awards, they did
so because people voted for them and had more votes than other nominee's.
That's the point behind a vote. Are you now going to have an Elyk Award show
where you forego voting and give out awards to what you think should win
them? All worlds in the AW universe ARE part of the community. Therefore all
worlds in the AW Universe should be allowed to win a CY award by popular
vote.

> Do
> you ever watch the news reports about the types of websites that are
online
> now? You don't see them promoting that. I believe the news described those
> types of pictures as "filth." Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the
> world was filth....but some of their content is. The CY Awards are a
> "Community" thing. People of all ages make up the community, including
> children. If we promote that kind of content, then it will bring more of a
> negative impression to people about ActiveWorlds.

Yes, the community is a range of all ages. But, it has been suggested too
many times recently that we should disclude adults worlds... well, how would
you appreciate it if instead of discluding adults, we instead disclude
anyone under the age of 18? Turn the boat around and make it so only worlds
owned and operated by 18 years of age or greater and only visitable by 18 or
older were the only people considered allowed to win a CY award. I can think
of many people here in this group who would very much argue against that and
passionately so.

So far I can count 5 people in this newsgroup who have gone over the top in
arguing that adult worlds should be discluded. They have done so very
passionately, not always thinking out their ideas, making assumptions,
trying to force their view of the world. I am not trying to force you to go
to any adult worlds, nor am I attempting to change your view of adult
worlds, but I am attempting to convince the people in this newsgroup that
discluding a significant portion of the community from the CY's is wrong,
morally, and ethically.

--Talisan

You're quite right. Some people wouldn't be happy until adult worlds were
totally removed. But the thing is they are part of the community, like it
or not. Most people will be content with it, though, and in most cases the
majority should determine policy.

Chris

Yes, kerstin has already decided that that idea will probably not work.
Although I'd be in favor of allowing teens to participate in both
ceremonies. But would that cheapen the value of a CY if teens were elegible
for both a TeenCy and a Cy?

Chris

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Nov 7, 2002, 11:23pm
I certainly hope so...

kerstin

Nov 7, 2002, 11:26pm
I've never seen adult chat in citbingo or andor, but in the AWbingo worlds,
and on more than one occasion. In fact I have one chat log from a night
where a ton of Goreans were in there, talking about kinky sex, and
continuing it after being asked to stop because there were underage kids
there. Also, in the chat log, you can see how the host, who is also Gorean,
allows the chat to go on for quite a while, despite the complaints, until
she finally half heartedly asks them to tone it down.

If those sort of conversations are going to be permitted to go on in AWbingo
in open chat, then the world should get some sort of adult rating, and keep
the kids out.

Kerstin

I wouldn't call it alienation. More like a positive opportunity for
competition between one's peers.

SW Chris

You uh, have to admit that public society does frown on x-rated material.
You also have to admit that you can't change public opinion. You can only
work with or around it. If you follow that idea through to its conclusion,
you will see that promoting that kind of material at a public ceremony can
only reflect negatively on the Active Worlds software as a whole.

However you can stem that problem by having another awards ceremony for
adult worlds, giving those adult worlds a good opportunity to recognize
those of their peers. This is not an ideal situation for ANY party. I will
concede you that. But you must admit that it is a compromise that meets
both interests half-way, and therefore one of the best proposals for solving
this CY question.

SW Chris

She was being sarcastic I think.

Chris

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 8, 2002, 12:13am
On a personal note I would rather see teen as part of the community awards
together with all other non adult themed worlds. If teen worlds, and yes
there are some in aw are banned from a awards they have actively attended
and took part in since its conception to make way for adult worlds is a sad
reflection on the community. But has Enzo has stated you have one or the
other.

Not wishing to inflame anything or promote flamming or anything else.

If the teens are ousted from this event in favour of "Adult worlds" the
effect is all promotion must also by termed adult promotion and therefore
not allowed to be publically displyed in aw.

But what ever the outcome all aspects have to be considered and the effect
on the community and all its worlds.

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Nov 8, 2002, 12:34am
but Alienation it is, because teens would once again be hindered from
competing on the level which they deserve.

1  2  3  4  5  6  |