jerme // User Search

1  ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  |

Obliterating Non Existant Folders in XP

Jun 15, 2002, 4:01am
From what I've seen, I'd have to say that Linux supports more hardware
that's out there (and has been out there for years now) than WinXP.
Microsoft is actually talking about removing support for some
devices/interfaces because of security concerns ( they're on a kick with the
new "trustworthy computing" thing).

Pretty much every thing you can think of is supported. Granted the packages
for it may not *come with* the set operating system packages, and thus will
not be detected/setup at install time. But, they are easily found out on the
internet. Find yourself a good Linux newsgroup/mailing list and subscribe.
They'll help 'ya out.

Making you own drivers isn't necessarily that hard. It depends on what you
mean by that. Programming drivers in Linux is a very advanced topic. But,
taking the code that is all over the internet and compiling it isn't rocket
science at all.

I spent a few days trying to turn a cheap old HP system into a server. I
bought a cheep NIC at Best Buy (the thing even said "tested - compatible
with Linux" on the front). However, I get it home and put it in... nada,
nothing... The problem was that my disto of Linux didn't have the needed
packages / kernel modules included.

After doing some research on the web, I found my NIC used a core chip that
was common to several other NICs from different manufactures. Once I new the
chip name, it took me only minutes to track down a website with the driver
code available. It then took me an evening or two (on the newsgroups) to get
the code to compile correctly and load into the kernel as a module. Nothing
hard though...

G'luck with Linux.. Glad to hear you're joining the group.

Regards,
Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

linux?

Jun 15, 2002, 8:58pm
http://www.ncftpd.com/ncftpd/ <--- A very nice (but pricy should you want
more than 3 users) FTP server you could run for them. read up on it. It's
high-performance and very secure.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

linux?

Jun 15, 2002, 9:13pm
Umm.. i'm not sure I under stood that all.

The proxy won't forward FTP to the machine you need? Why not open up the FTP
port (is it 21, or 23.. i always get those confused). If it won't forward
FTP, how does it forward Telnet requests?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

It's the mens turn to struggle!!!

Jun 15, 2002, 9:11pm
> It's no wonder you find women posing as men in VR. It isn't protection
> against lecherous men as I previously thought, it is because they were
> thrown into male avatars so many times, they began to believe thats what
> they were!!!

Is that what you think it is? Not to be rude or anything.. But I can wear a
pink tutu avatar all day long, and not act like a women. Personally, I don't
see how avatar gender is in anyway related to a tendency to pose as the
opposite sex. Things of that nature (crossdressing, and the sort) are
usually caused by psycholocial problems (if not by physical abnormalites).

> World owners, I urge you to change your default avatars to female!!
*points
> vigorously at the male audience* Let the men feel what it is to be
laughed
> at for unknowingly walking around in a skirt!!! *bangs fist on desk* Let
> the men show they have the strength and patience to resize windows to
reach
> the front of those horribly oversized lists full of restricted avatars!!!
> Let the men wear those breasts they are always oggling at! oops...did I
> say breasts? Sorry to those that are offended by seeing breasts in NGs.
*g*

Maybe you're taking the 'sexist' thing a little to far. :-) One avatar has
to come first. If it's the lady avatar, you're going to have the guy
whinning. If it's the guy avatar then you'll have the ladies complaining.
Think about it for a sec. If the female avatar had always been first in the
list, since the very beginning, don't you think the guys would be the ones
whinning about it?

Because of that.. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't make much difference.
After all, it's only the avatar list... big deal if I walk around for 10
minutes wearing a skirt. I let people think what they want... lol *g*

If you want to give me the URL to a path that has a female avatar listed
first, I'll gladly use it in my world. (I currently use the AW path, and I'm
not going to take the time to create my own just yet.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

a new AW GZ?

Jun 17, 2002, 3:36am
This only like the billionth time someone has said we need a new GZ... Has
AWC ever taken the time to redesign it?

.... I don't think they're going to anytime soon... In all my 3+ years here
that GZ has never changed... (except for that one time when Hurricane
Cryonics struck GZ, we had knee deep water for an hour or so)

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

New Lindows PCs

Jun 19, 2002, 10:00pm
Lindows just plain rules... and here's why...

Microsoft is admittly the standard operating system when it comes to
desktops. Linux and Unix is the standard for servers. Microsoft has had not
trouble breaking that barrier and moving windows onto *some* servers. Linux,
however has had a extreamly difficult time breaking the barrier into
desktops. Reason being...there are more desktop systems out there.

When I use my computer, I need to be able to effectifly communicate with
others quickly and easily and get my work done in the most efficient manner.
When everyone else is using Windows desktops, it makes using linux a little
hairy. Moving files between systems becomes tedious, as you have to worry
about compability and having a linux counterpart for your windows programs
and vice versa.

Lindows breaks all the barries down by allowing you to run Windows programs
from a Linux enviroment. Sure, this has always been possible with windows
emulators for linux, but never to the extent that Lindows takes it. So, now
I can run with my handy linux desktop yet still use all Windows programs to
communicate with outsiders.

It was only a matter of time before someone tried to combine the two OSes,
it just took someone with enough resources to get the company off the
ground.

In summary, If I had a hundread dollars to spend on something, I'd spend it
on Lindows. :o)

-Jeremy
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

[linux] NNTP software

Jun 19, 2002, 10:04pm
I'm looking for a good news server daemon.. Any recomendations?

Bowen? Andras?

Thanks,
Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34

beta question

Jul 8, 2002, 1:08am
You have to be on the inside with someone at AWC. It's really gay the way it
works... I'm going to take this space to whine and bitch about it. I believe
I'd make an execellent beta tester... I program in C++, VB, Java, PERL,
etc...I write my own bots ( I don't release any to the public), I have my
own world I can use for testing, and so on..... I was trying to be kind and
just wait for someone to notice me and add me to beta (as I was on the beta
for the 2.x versions i believe). After I got tired of waiting I sent off a
few nice e-mails to various people, yeilding no results....

Looks like a few other people are in the same boat.... We're headed down
Shit Creek, without a paddle. ;-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

funny pic....

Jul 10, 2002, 2:03pm
Anyone else seen this yet? www.lightfoots.net/stuff/pissonaw.jpg

LoL.....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34

AW and laptops

Jul 29, 2002, 1:05pm
You could talk to the dev team.. I'm sure they'll know. But, I think they've
all died....

Since we have no communication with them... They only way you get stuff done
is to do it yourself. Here's how I'd figure it out...

First, make a backup of the ActiveWorlds directory... Copy it to a safe
place.

Then, try randomly deleting your .idx and .dat files... the stuff that the
browser needs to run. Just do 1 at a time. Then startup the browser. If it
works, close it and delete another file. Eventully you'll figure out which
file or files being missing or corrupted causes the error you're looking
for.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

ctrl+enter...

Jul 30, 2002, 11:12pm
Editing the file or not... Running a linux server and taking propdumps with
the current version of the admin tool will *always* yeild a garbage propdump
file. It doesn't matter if you edit the file or not. I'm not sure if this
holds true with the windows version of the aw server. I doubt it will....
Can someone test it?

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

Java SDK

Aug 6, 2002, 2:10pm
All I can tell you is to look over
http://www.insead.edu/CALT/Project/AWJavaBots/

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

help? :-\

Aug 7, 2002, 1:02am
Windows pre 95 was just a wrapper... The bios started DOS, and dos started
windows... windows passed all the commands though to dos.

Newer versions of Windows aren't based off of DOS. Now you need a boot disk
to get to just DOS. Windows now only supports the command line...

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

Re: NG Trouble

Aug 6, 2002, 11:55pm
He has no reason to be... but no doubt that he is...

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

Building Inspector: Unable to store changes! Check server for possible full disk or write-protected file(s).

Aug 14, 2002, 11:03pm
I've gotten this error for strange reasons before. I don't remember the
exact problem or solution.

The error means exactly what it sounds like. For some reason the world
server could not save your changes to the object database. It could be more
than just the server simply being out of storage.

If it doesn't go away within a few minutes ( which I'm betting it will),
then you'll have to take it up with Insanity. G'luck.... Let us know what
you find out.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

andras.net is down

Aug 24, 2002, 4:32pm
Not again!! What kind of hardware failure?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

Privacy Leak in Mozilla and Mozilla-Based Browsers

Sep 21, 2002, 12:58am
Really this information is very valuable to some webmasters (and
companies).... You would not believe the sheer ammount of statistics you can
generate from one web server log file.

Information on how visitors got to a site, and where/when/how they leave is
already analized.

Check out... http://demo.webtrends.com/reports/ormdcs.wlp/index.html

That is a sample Web Trends report. Use the menu at the bottom left to
change the info you see.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

world help

Sep 17, 2002, 10:46pm
Heh.. yea guys... Thanks maki.

If all else fails, and you just can't figure out how to get that router
setup, then I'll host your world for you.

As Maki said, I am in the process of setting up a pricing plan that will
include both paid and free accounts (for world hosting, and object path/web
hosting). Currently, everything is still free. You can see a draft of the
price plan at: http://www.jtechwebsystems.com/prices.shtml

If you have any questions, or would like to get your hosting setup, please
e-mail me at JerMe101 at bellsouth.net

Regards,
Jeremy

a.k.a. JerMe (#296967)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

uhhhhh

Sep 18, 2002, 5:34pm
That would also be my recomendation...

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

Next Wave of Beta Testers

Sep 19, 2002, 5:45pm
The beta thing is very funny.. The people I would think that had the most
technical knowledge and know-how for debuging a program are the ones who are
*not* on the beta program (with the acception of Xel, Ima...). There are
many other's out there, including myself, who program, desing networks,
script bots, are world owners, host worlds or OPs, and so on.... Yet are not
on Beta.

I sent in my application just as I was supposed to. Seeing no results after
2 weeks, I resent my application. I saw many people I knew still being
added, however my application was ignored. A few days later the "next wave"
post was made....

It's not right..... such is life.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5-34
[View Quote]

Is E N Z O

Oct 20, 2002, 1:15pm
it's too bad all that got deleted when they reset the database....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: build 435

Oct 23, 2002, 12:57am
I sense someone getting a little touchy...

To answer the original question... Yes, a window should remember its size. That would be a good
recommendation to the programmers. It's not a huge new feature, but only a tweak of one that already
exists. It is very appropriate as a beta post.

However, the message from our lovely programming team is generally if it's not a specific bug, they
don't want to hear about it. In other words... They want you to just shut up about it because
they're not going to take the time to fix it anyways.

> first time?
>
> Right? Perfect? If we waited until every new feature met everyone's
> standards then we would never have another release.
> Keep in mind that you are not the only one that wants something. Balancing
> the wants of the users and the needs of the company against our timetable is
> a complex task, and not as simple as "just make everything perfect".

Ok, or we you can just keep releasing half-assed versions that don't have well thought out or well
implemented features. Does that sound better?

I'm not trying to suggest that you please everyone... That, obviously, is crazy. All I'm trying to
say is that adding things like an apply button, or making a window remember its size are such
trivial things. Yet, they're what signify a truly *good* piece of software. These little things are
considered finishing touches, and *should* be brought up in the beta. Sure, you can get the world
properties to work. But, if you want to get it right the first time, little things (like an apply
button) need to be taken care of.

> Another way to cut down down on nagging is to identify people who can't
> follow the guidelines of the beta newsgroup and remove them from the beta
> program.

Guidelines? I violated the guidelines?!? Hmm... looks like no one else pays any attention to them
either. I guess you just haven't noticed that yet.

Although, I'm sorry you feel that way... I can't help but laugh. What are you tying to do by
revoking my beta status? ....Such childish games, and I'll have no part in it. Looking back, I can't
see that you've ever really listened to any of the suggestions the beta team had. Almost every post
to this newsgroup is a waste. The only thing left to say is: good riddance.

> Oh yeah - personal attacks do NOT belong here, either...

That was not a personal attack, simply part of my signature. I'm sorry you took it that way.

-Jeremy
--
Following in the footsteps of Eep....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: Identifying what worlds allow Tourists

Oct 23, 2002, 1:00am
Don't bet on it.... Take it to the wishlist hun. They don't care, nor are they going to listen.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: Identifying what worlds allow Tourists

Oct 23, 2002, 1:42am
lol.. yea, I think that's a first.

Just so you can sleep tonight.. I don't plan on making a habit out of it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: build 435

Oct 23, 2002, 1:50am
'eh.. ther're just mad because I called them slackers for not "feeling like" making a beta world
server.....

*mumbles* bunch of Windoze lovin' sons of......

When will they figure out that if it has the word "server" in it that it needs to run on *nix??

--
A window? What's that? #man windows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: build 435

Oct 23, 2002, 6:59pm
You seem to be of the same mistaken opinion as the rest of those lazy..... nevermind.... 999 told me
the reason they do not release a *nix version is "it would just be one more thing to track." I can
understand that, as I see the dev team is a very busy bunch. However, that's a sorry excuse for
something of this nature.

What if there's a problem with the *nix port of the server; some bug specific to only that build. So
then, after the beta is over, they'll release an untested (relatively untested, compared to the
windows server) build for production use. That's dangerous... And that is specifically what the beta
period is for by definition alone. Both builds need to be released so they can both be tested in
tandem. As programmers it is part of their job to do that. They need to do their damn jobs instead
of crying and saying "we don't want to because it'll be too much work". If it's too much work then
find another job.

The beta is for testing the browser and server *before* they are released as production builds. It
only makes logical sense to test both windows and *nix versions of the server. Creating and tracking
a *nix build would not be that much more trouble. The effort would be worth the better product in
the end.

-Jeremy

--
The McDonald's in town is hiring....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: build 435

Oct 23, 2002, 7:13pm
No goob.. I don't drink. ( My extended family has a lot of problems with booze, i'm not even going
to start that bad habit).

I'm sorry to sound so "eep-ish"... But damnit, it's the truth. I'm sick of the mediocrity here. I'm
sick of the dev team not taking suggestions as simple as "add an apply button". Sure, it takes a
little more effort and dedication to accept simple suggestions such as that; however it makes for a
much better piece of software in the end. I guess it's just takes too much dedication for them. It's
the little things, (like not having an apply button, windows changing size, errors handled
incorrectly, not supporting more than one OS, and lacking many small interface tweaks) that hold AW
back from becoming a great piece of entertainment and business software.

I regarde Eep as nothing less than a genius. That may be going out on a limb for the guy....
However, he has so many great ideas. His only fault is that he can't, or doesn't know how to go
about, getting them accros to people; and I see why. When your audience lacks the willingness to
understand the idea you are trying to convey, as I believe is the current sittution, it can be
frustrating.

-Jeremy

--
"If you're head is wax, don't walk in the sun." -Benjamin Franklin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Re: build 435

Oct 23, 2002, 7:15pm
> Why don't you go check out that Micky-D's job.

Sorry, I already have an application in at a local manufacturing plant. Database administration / IT
assistant

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34
[View Quote]

Nvidia drivers

Dec 2, 2002, 8:00pm
I've been having simmilar problems after upgrading my Alienware system from
Windowz ME to 2000. In the process (clean install) I lost all my drivers.

Running a GeForce2 64mb GTS/Pro with the latest detanator 40 drivers
produces random lockups. My screen goes blank and the hard drive activity
light is on constantly. I trace my problem back to the DirectDraw portion of
the SETI at home client. The display will eventully caus the computer to
lockup. Once or twice I have recieved an error message on a blue screen
(rare in win2k). I searched though the MS Knowledge base and traced the
error back to direct draw and video driver problems under win2k. I haven't
had the patience to downgrade to the archived nVidia drivers. Will try
that....

-Jeremy

[View Quote]

Admin Tool Status Bar problems

Dec 2, 2002, 10:36pm
(beta tester: please forward to beta group)

The latest admin tool release (non-beta) has a few problems that need to be
corrected.

The status bar, at multiple different times, is not cleared. After starting
a world, or any failure of starting a world, and after uploading/downloading
world data the status bar displays the same message endlessly until a
different message is displayed.

Maybe make the status bar go blank after short period of time (30 seconds to
a minute). Maybe even a read-only console that scrolls each message up (so
the actions taken can be reviewed) could be added.

Different (out dated) messages always catch my eye. These could prove very
confusing to an unaware user.

-Jeremy

1  ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  |