New Lindows PCs (General Discussion)

New Lindows PCs // General Discussion

1  |

zeo toxion

Jun 17, 2002, 5:33pm
<http://www.lindows.com/walmart>

Microtel computer ranging from $299 to $599 at Walmart. They come with the
new Lindows OS. You can reaad about Lindows at <www.lindows.com> Its basicly
a linux based OS with a windows envrionment that can run (suposedly) both
Linux and Windows software. I'm not sure if this is technically true becuase
they have a download page where you can download windows products but they
might just my linux versions of them. Not sure though. Its $100 a year for
access to a download of the OS or orderign a CD and full access to a
download page for tons of software.

Anyways...this cought my attention and i believe this is a very big step in
the OS industry. Microsoft will most likely be forced to lower it's prices
if Lindows becomes popular. And yes Microsoft already tried sueing them but
they didn't win >;)

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

chickengurl

Jun 18, 2002, 3:43am
they had so many people at slashdot joking about that, lol

[View Quote]

dion

Jun 18, 2002, 4:05am
yeh, it's like mixing heaven and hell into one package :-P

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jun 18, 2002, 1:23pm
Whats the joke? I know it takes some getting used to to get away from
Microsoft ;)

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

chickengurl

Jun 19, 2002, 3:20am
well it wasn't very nice, maybe you should check out slashdot, lol

[View Quote]

jerme

Jun 19, 2002, 10:00pm
Lindows just plain rules... and here's why...

Microsoft is admittly the standard operating system when it comes to
desktops. Linux and Unix is the standard for servers. Microsoft has had not
trouble breaking that barrier and moving windows onto *some* servers. Linux,
however has had a extreamly difficult time breaking the barrier into
desktops. Reason being...there are more desktop systems out there.

When I use my computer, I need to be able to effectifly communicate with
others quickly and easily and get my work done in the most efficient manner.
When everyone else is using Windows desktops, it makes using linux a little
hairy. Moving files between systems becomes tedious, as you have to worry
about compability and having a linux counterpart for your windows programs
and vice versa.

Lindows breaks all the barries down by allowing you to run Windows programs
from a Linux enviroment. Sure, this has always been possible with windows
emulators for linux, but never to the extent that Lindows takes it. So, now
I can run with my handy linux desktop yet still use all Windows programs to
communicate with outsiders.

It was only a matter of time before someone tried to combine the two OSes,
it just took someone with enough resources to get the company off the
ground.

In summary, If I had a hundread dollars to spend on something, I'd spend it
on Lindows. :o)

-Jeremy
--
Jeremy Booker - Owner

chazrad

Jun 20, 2002, 5:57am
i spend it and i must say, the os is really quite impressive even in the
prebeta stage. I am now running spx 2 and it rocks!

"jerme" <JerMe101 at bellsouth.net> wrote in
news:3d111b2b$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com: