Nvidia drivers (General Discussion)

Nvidia drivers // General Discussion

1  |

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 12:37am
I recently updated my video driver. Big mistake. I could not stay in AW for
more than 30 seconds without crashing. So.. I uninstalled and reinstalled my
video card using an older version of the driver at the Hercules web site.
After that AW was ok.. but I couldnt play my 2 favorite games anymore Diablo
II and Dungeon Siege. The DirectDraw and DirectX were messed up .. I
reinstalled the new driver again and found the same thing happened in AW..
so now Ive uninstalled again.. and reinstalled with the older version
driver.. I've been going round in circles this past week doing all the
windows updates and updating everything I can think of to try and solve
this.. the only workable (but pain in the butt) solution I can come up with
is to change my driver to the newest one when I want to play my games.. then
uninstall and re install my video card with the older driver when I want to
be in AW :( I have an AMD Athelon 1300 geforce2 3D Prophet II GTS PRO
Hercules videocard ..any help would be GREATLY appreciated :) is it
possible AW has a problem with Nvidia's newest drivers?

Garnet

I would say the video mode your using is not very well liked by your video card.

--Bowen--

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 12:48am
only problem happened when I updated the driver.

[View Quote] Well the Video Card uses your driver to talk to the OS; so it's a driver problem with
the video mode. Try switching modes (excluding software).

--Bowen--

mod

Dec 1, 2002, 1:50am
Try this, go to internet explorer > Tools > Windows update. When you go
there, let it scan your system. When it is done, click the drivers tab and
download that update to the drivers, it should fix the drivers to be
compatable with all of your programs, if this doesn't work I would try
downloading Direct X 8.1
Hope this helps you :)

-Mod
[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 1:57am
well I did go to windows update and I let it scan .. I got all the updates
there.. I also got directX 8.1 :) I will try again to go to windows update
and see if I can to anything there.. I didnt look for drivers there I went
to my cards web site .. wish me luck :) hahaha thanks :)
Garnet

[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 2:07am
I forgot to mention.. I even reinstalled AW.. coz when I crash it says
AWorld.exe generated errors and will close.. I thought it might be a bad
version of aw.. in the 3+ years Ive been here.. I dont remember reinstalling
the program more than once.. I will try your suggestion tomorrow .. thanks
again :)
Garnet

[View Quote]

builderz

Dec 1, 2002, 4:16am
If I can remember correctly, you shouldn't need to reinstall AW because
of that error. However, I recommend you run a scandisk or chkdsk on your
hard drive. Another thing you may want to try is clearing your cache.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 11:50am
Well.. according to AW's help files at their web site.. they recommend as a
last resort, to uninstall AW and reinstall it. So I did. That cleared all
cache. My computer has Norton's utilities where I have it set to defrag
every week automatically. I have run Norton's utilities many times to get
rid of the windows errors it finds. I just find it so strange that AW is the
ONLY thing I have on my computer that have a problem with the new driver.

[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 12:02pm
Well Mod, I tried doing this this morning.. and windows is satisified with
the drivers I have. :( It says there are no new ones. even though according
to Hercules web sight I have an older version. And I already have DirectX
8.1 If my darn games would work with this older driver that would be ok with
me. The newest one is
http://us.hercules.com/support/link_drivers.php3?prodid=11&c=0&p=16 40.41
The one I have to use to go in AW is the version just before this one 21.81
I have win2000 Pro ... sigh, this problem just makes no sense to me.
Garnet

[View Quote]

mod

Dec 1, 2002, 1:40pm
I would try getting the drivers directly from NVidia, that may work. go to
www.nvidia.com and select download drivers. I am currently running a NVidia
GeForce 2 which used to have many similar problems, but I get all my drivers
from their site which normally solves them.

-Mod
[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 2:14pm
Well, I just got this driver, which was the one I first got, but I thought
I'd try it again as I had a few windows updates and DirectX update since
first trying this driver. When this one didn't work to begin with ... that
was when I went to
http://us.hercules.com/support/link_drivers.php3?prodid=11&c=0&p=16 to get
the driver made by Hercules. So now Im back to being able to play Diablo II
and Dungeon Siege.. but can't stay in AW for more than 30 seconds without
crashing. :( I am very frustrated by all this.

[View Quote]

bonzai

Dec 1, 2002, 2:25pm
i have a geforce also , and i updated a few days ago to the 40. something
nvidia drivers , i crashed so bad that i couldnt even start windows anymore
, so i downgraded to 30.82 again , and those run perfect . update to directX
8.1b if you havent yet , there are some great sites and forums about nvidea
cards , with how to tune them , and setting them up diferent when you crash
a lot .

mod

Dec 1, 2002, 2:31pm
yup, I stay with some pretty old drivers, but not the ones that produce
thousands of lines everywhere >.<

-Mod
[View Quote]

bonzai

Dec 1, 2002, 2:35pm
i think i heard about that , does that happen in OpenGL games ?

"mod" <mod at darkbirdie.com> schreef in bericht
news:3dea3959$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> yup, I stay with some pretty old drivers, but not the ones that produce
> thousands of lines everywhere >.<
>
> -Mod
[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 2:39pm
This is what Ive tried to do.. 21.81 works great in AW.. but I cant play
Diablo II or Dungeon Siege anymore using 21.81 driver.. I used to be able
to.. Im not sure why I can't now.. it says theres an error with DirectDraw
[View Quote]

kf

Dec 1, 2002, 2:43pm
>and i updated a few days ago to the 40. something
> nvidia drivers , i crashed so bad that i couldnt even start windows >anymore , so i downgraded to 30.82 again , and those run perfect . >update to directX

Yup, I tried the same on the day the new driver came out, experienced
the same, suffered the same and did the same <g>.

kf

Dec 1, 2002, 2:47pm
I run 30.82 - solid as a rock on all my machines with different hardware
(eg. Pentium, Athlon) and graphic cards (TNT, GF2Mx, GF2Pro, GF4ti)

[View Quote]

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 2:58pm
according to my cards web site:
http://us.hercules.com/support/link_drivers.php3?prodid=11&c=0&p=16 driver
version 30.82 is not an option for me as I have win2000 pro
[View Quote]

kf

Dec 1, 2002, 3:57pm
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive

:-)

[View Quote] > windows
> about
> you

garnet

Dec 1, 2002, 4:47pm
Well kf, thank you for trying.. I just tried the 30.82, but as with the
40.72 driver version, the only way I can stay in AW at all is to be in
Software Renderer mode. I was able to do Direct3D 8 with the old driver...
but I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times .. I dont think I can
do any mode but Software Renderer anymore.

[View Quote]

kf

Dec 1, 2002, 6:23pm
You can still:

- check mainboard drivers (eg. agp, miniport, 4in1, etc.), maybe they
became corrupted or disabled somehow
- check bios settings (eg. ram refresh, agp settings), as above
- run dxdiag.exe and look what errors come up, if any
- re-install MSIE which updates the system files
- play with the graphic card settings (submenu DirectX, eg.
antialisaing, graphic card RAM, clock speed)

DirectDraw (part of DX7) is also included in the Dx8 distribution and
actually requires a lot less ressources than D3D8, maybe a part of the
installation got corrupted.
There is, btw, also an "inofficial" (not presented on the DirectX
homepage) DirectX 8.2 available, which you might want to check out also
(just search with google for it), but note the warning:

+++
This release of DirectX is not recommended for general installation. You
should only consider installing this release if you have an online
gaming problem that has been identified as being fixed with DirectX 8.2.
This version of DirectX can replace all previous released versions of
DirectX."
+++

[View Quote]

jerme

Dec 2, 2002, 8:00pm
I've been having simmilar problems after upgrading my Alienware system from
Windowz ME to 2000. In the process (clean install) I lost all my drivers.

Running a GeForce2 64mb GTS/Pro with the latest detanator 40 drivers
produces random lockups. My screen goes blank and the hard drive activity
light is on constantly. I trace my problem back to the DirectDraw portion of
the SETI at home client. The display will eventully caus the computer to
lockup. Once or twice I have recieved an error message on a blue screen
(rare in win2k). I searched though the MS Knowledge base and traced the
error back to direct draw and video driver problems under win2k. I haven't
had the patience to downgrade to the archived nVidia drivers. Will try
that....

-Jeremy