jerme // User Search

1  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  |

Re: AWI ... pw protection please???

Mar 14, 2004, 11:20am
This has been discussed many times.. And frankly, no, there is not good
(secure) system for encrypting models yet still letting the browser
render them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34

[View Quote]

Why no Mac version?

Jul 18, 2004, 2:54am
Don't forget that AW uses 3rd party 3D rendering APIs. I don't claim to
be a mac expert, but my guess is that these would be totally different
(made by Apple?) on a Mac.

About the MFC and stuff. Microsoft seems to be able to port all their
apps to Mac (IE, outlook, office), so I dunno. I guess there *is* a way,
some how or another.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34

[View Quote]

Mr. President.....

Sep 20, 2004, 12:44am
Can you stop with the "Mr. President" thing......?

[View Quote]

SDK Event: AW_EVENT_EJECT

Oct 25, 2004, 11:32pm
Two new events should be added to the SDK.

AW_EVENT_WORLD_EJECTION_ADD & AW_EVENT_WORLD_EJECTION_DELETE

Triggered whenever an avatar (or bot) is ejected from a world or the
ejection is removed. This event should be sent to all SDK clients in the
avatar's area, and to any global mode clients. This event should define
attributes allowing a receiving client to determine the cit # and
session # of the ejecting avatar/bot as well as the avatar/bot being
ejected, the time/date in VRT, the type of eject (computer ID, cit #,
session ID), and any other relavent attributes also defined in
aw_world_ejection_add/delete.

This would allow bots to better document ejections made by other
citizens and bots.

-Jeremy

SDK Event: AW_EVENT_EJECT

Oct 26, 2004, 3:16am
Yes, I definitly agree. :-)

[View Quote] > Should only be available to eject right enabled bots, or the sdk session
> being ejected.
>
> - MR

[View Quote]

Increase AWTeen World Size

Nov 7, 2004, 4:20am
Well, according to Andras's MapView utility, and using a propdump taken
from the end of October... AWTeen is only using 46.7 % of its total
land. Meaning half the land out there is still open.

Although, the map has gotten a lot more cluttered looking lately. This
would probably be a good New Year's present for AWTeen from AWI.

There could be some negative side effects (a massive land-grab, longer
propdump/database update times, etc)... But I think they might be worth it.

-Jeremy

[View Quote]

World server - Registry

Nov 21, 2004, 11:54pm
I understand what you're trying to get at, but you can already do this,
i'm pretty sure.

First, have your php script accept the upload of the object. Use the php
script to create a registry entry for that object, and add it to the
registry.txt file.

Then, have your php script call a small C++ program that does nothing
but connect to the server and reload the registry for the world in
question. (see http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/aw_server_world_change.htm)

This program would have to be run on the same physical machine the the
world server is running on, and I think the SDK functions require the
world server admin password, so you can only do it if you're also an
administrator (or the administrator sets up the program for you).

So, this doesn't have all the advantages you were looking for (remote
solution, most of it is still server-side); however, it does allow
anyone to go to a web page, upload an object, and how it insered and
loaded into the registry right away.

Regards,
Jeremy

[View Quote]

World server - Registry

Nov 22, 2004, 12:59pm
Yes, i definitly agree with you and see your point.

If the SDK could be used to load a registry file from a URL, then this
process could be carried out completly from a remote webserver (using
the php script/c++ bot strategy).

-Jeremy

[View Quote]

cit database searches like in other competing 3D chats

Jul 11, 2005, 12:14am
It would be nice for apps like the AWTeen Property Search....

As of now, it uses a bot login to determine if the user's ppw is valid
or not. That means that if a cit is expired, the bot login will be denied.

I get a lot of requests from people who have switched citizen numbers
and want to find things they built under their previous citizenship.
They can't do it on their own, b/c there's no way to authenticate them.

It would be helpful if the bot could still login (but not do anything
else) with the last known priv password, and the client application
would receive notification that the cit is expired.

-J

[View Quote]

We NEED an 'Ask AW' Forum that they read and actually respond to...

Nov 4, 2005, 1:20pm
That's a great idea.

However, I don't think AWI would ever buy into the idea b/c of all the
abuse the group would recieve.

Every retard who gave his password out would be posted in the 'ask AWI'
group to get his password back (i.e. general support requests that
should be handeled through e-mail).

I can just see someone posting to ask AWI to ban someone else just
because of personal issues, and the flames that would then ensue. The
whole "you stole my object" and "you're a horrible person" crap would
just be too much.....

Nothing personal...just the well established reputation of the maturity
level here.......

-J

[View Quote]

4.1 and Mapper Update

Nov 17, 2005, 11:52am
Is there somewhere I can get the mapper software? I would be willing to
host it, if I could only get the code...

-Jeremy

[View Quote]

4.1 and Mapper Update

Nov 21, 2005, 10:56am
Seems to have become the standard for AWI......

[View Quote]

AW Should Mail World Owners of World Server Updates

Jan 15, 2006, 2:16am
It's been requested... many...many... times...

A simple mailing list (see the GNU Mailman project -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailman) would suffice. Let people sign
up, and then the developers could take five minutes to send an e-mail to
the list and let everyone know. What's so difficult, i don't understand?

-Jeremy

[View Quote]

programmers

Feb 20, 2006, 11:59pm
Drop this php script into any directory(call it something like
'dir_list.php' and it will list the files (and the corresponding last
mod times).

Enjoy,
JerMe

<?php
$dir_path = '.';
$dir_list = array();
if ($handle = opendir($dir_path)) {
while ($files = readdir($handle)) {
if (preg_match("/^\./",$files)==0) $dir_list[] = $files; //echo
$files.'<br>';
}
closedir($handle);
asort($dir_list);
echo '<h3>Directory Listing</h3><ul>';
foreach ($dir_list as $value) {
echo '<li>'. $value . ' ' . date('n/j/Y g:i:s
A',filemtime($value)) . '</li>';
}
echo '</ul>';
}
?>

[View Quote]

World Server request...

Jun 24, 2006, 2:48am
It's called "database replication", and it's possible.

i.e. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-intro.html

See my other post on this thread. :-)

-J

[View Quote]

World Server request...

Jun 24, 2006, 3:05am
See below....

[View Quote] This could really already be done with the Linux world server...

So, there's two problems here... First, the secondary server has to be
able to detect that the primary server has gone down. Secondly, the
secondary server needs up to date data to use when it starts.

First things first, you've gotta have the propdumps before you can even
start the backup server, so how do you do that?

One of the nifty features about the linux world server is that it uses
the MySQL database engine. The great thing about MySQL is that is
supports "replication". See
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-intro.html for an
overview. Basically, replication allows one database to mirror another.

So, on your backup server install MySQL and set it up to replicate the
world sever tables from the primary server. Then, you need to be able to
detect when the primary server goes down in order to start up the backup
server. To do this, you could use a cron job setup to run a bot that
simply tries to login to you world. If it can login to the universe, but
not reach your world, then you know your world is most likely down. In
that case, the bot would run the command to start the world server, and
all would be well.

This might not help you much, since you run windows, but it just goes to
show the advantages of using MySQL and linux.

> 2) Windows rather than MS_Dos for world server? It just looks so old LOL Or
> at least allow that window to minimize in the system tray ... it's annoying
> to have it stickin out there where I don't wanna see it.

Can't say much for this one....

> 3) Admin ... why not have the admin screen at least offer to do dumps
> automatically before closing, or periodically?

Once again, the linux world server has always come with a 'propdump'
command. It's a separate program that can be invoked either by hand, or
though some other program. Up until now, it could only be run while the
world server was shut down because the database engine couldn't handle
multiple using it at the same time. But, again, since the switch to
MySQL, you can run a propdump at any time (even with the world server
running) and be just fine.

The windows server *used* to come with these separate programs, but I'm
not sure that it does anymore.

If these programs are still bundled, you could use the windows task
scheduler (a less powerful version of Cron) to schedule that the
propdump command be run every so often. To re-name the files, you'd
probably need to write your own program or batch script.

-J

cache information and click effects problem.

Jun 30, 2006, 3:52am
See below...

[View Quote] Sounds like a good idea to me. I *thought* everything was already
cached, I guess sounds might not be?

> Stop makeing the user depend so much on the server after the world has
> already 100% fully loaded.

The reason the user depends on the server so much is for the "global
events". There's probably not going to be any way to get around that
one. The browser is always going to be dependent on the server for just
about everything.

> Make on line used run just like the off line use and only download stuff as
> new data is entered, for it to use the cache all the time unless the cache
> dont have something.

The English is a little spotty here, but if you're saying what I think
you're saying....

The cache is used all the time for requests that have not been cached.
In the world settings, there's a "cache timeout" function. After this
period of time, the object cache will be reloaded as needed. This is so
that updated files can be re-downloaded and incorporated into the world.

I'm not sure what differences you find between offline and online use...
but they'll never be exactly the same because offline use isn't
online... In offline mode, you'll never be able to download objects that
aren't cached or send/receive global events. I don't see how you could
make them any more the same than they currently are though...

-J

Re: Security (was Re: My World)

Aug 8, 2001, 12:31am
Finally someone with some inteligence... I was about to give up trying to
get the poit accrost to him. Thanks....

;-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker

HELP

Aug 8, 2001, 10:43pm
I have a Dell PowerEdge server. It has a good sized array of scsi disks,
dual procs... The power supply is way more than sufficient, and i've never
had any problems with it. Also have a 1Ghz Latitude. It's awesome... The
only problem I have ever had is that the switch that wakes the laptop when
you raise the LCD seems to be a little picky. It takes a few times of
opening and closing before it will wake up from standby.... Though, this
isn't a major problem...just sorta annoying at times.... From those 2
system purchases I have over $500 in free equipment. With the server I got,
a $400 scsi disk for $60, plus double the HD size on 2 of the disks. With
the Latitude I got a free port replicator and a Palm M100. I've very
impressed with Dell's systems, and their customer service/support. I'd
amazed that you seem to have had bad experiences with them. The only thing I
would recommend more than buying a Dell is building your own..... ;-)

-J.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[View Quote] <snip>

HELP

Aug 9, 2001, 3:45am
Heh, From what I've seen of the Tech support (haven't seen much because I've
never had to call...), they seem to be very good. There are news groups
where you can speak directly with engineer who test this stuff. (At least,
i've spoken with the man who verifies Red Hat will run on all the systems)
I'm sure the personal support isn't quite as nice, seeing as there are
hundres of thousands of more people with home comps rather than $10,000
servers. Someday, when I get some extra money... I'll buy a dell home
system and see if you accuations hold up...

Laptops, simple as they seem, are much more complex. The suckers heat up for
one thing... Don't ever try and use it in your lap; otherwise your leg will
feel funny for the next 20 mins (very nice if you have muscle craps in your
right leg...) The ram, processors, and motherboards are all specially
designed. Try makeing a hard drive slightly bigger than a PC card....Notice
you never see parts for laptops floating around either.

As for options.. the list of available features is as long, or longer than
the home computer list...

-J.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

Laptops

Aug 9, 2001, 4:08am
As I said before... Look to Dell. You'll probly have more luck with the
Inspiron line, rather than the Latitude.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_inspn_notebooks.htm

It's 2am, and I'm board... So I did a little work for you... $2,110.00
WinME (the notebooks with win2000 all start out at arround $2000...) ATI
Rage 8mb 2xAGP If you *must* have win2k then you have to coustomize a
small business system... G'luck

Date: Thursday, August 09, 2001 12:57:40 AM CDT
Catalog Number: 29 19
Dell Inspiron 4000 Notebooks: Pentium®III processor, 1 GHz 14.1 XGA TFT
Display
HR10GHN - [220-8410]
Memory: 256MB, SDRAM, 2 DIMMs
256M2D - [311-9705]
Primary Hard Drive: 20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
20GB - [340-2736]
Floppy Drive: Modular Floppy Drive
FD - [340-7931]
Operating System Software: Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition with
WinXP Home Upgrade Coupon Offer
WMEXP - [313-7222] [412-2901] [420-2105]
External Mouse: USB Intellimouse Grey
GREYMSE - [310-3180] [310-1674]
Network Adapter: Xircom® 10/100 Ethernet II, PC Card
N100X - [430-2082]
Modem: Internal 56K Capable V.90 Mini-PCI Fax Modem
PCIMDM - [313-9695]
Modular CD/DVD Drives: Free! 8X Max Variable DVD-ROM Drive
8XDVDP - [313-8133] [461-2805]
Inspiron 4000 Setup Video: Dell Inspiron 4000 Setup Video
VID - [310-9566]
Bundled Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2001 with Money 2001 Standard
40WRK - [412-3637]
Anti-virus: Norton Antivirus® 2001, Introductory Offer
NAV - [412-4630]
Primary Battery: 59 WHr Lithium-Ion Battery with ExpressCharge
LIION8 - [312-2770]
Carrying Cases: Deluxe Nylon Case
NCC154 - [310-0401]
Service and Support Options: 1 Yr Ltd. Warranty-1 Yr Mail-in Service + 1
Yr Phone Support
SI111RR - [900-9054] [902-0070] [950-3337]
Internet Access Options: 6 Month Dellnet® by MSN Internet Access [add
$0]
MSN6MO - [412-0265]
Digital Imaging Software: Image Expert® 2000, Dell Edition ($0)
DPS - [412-2108]
Additional Battery: 2nd 59 WHr Lithium-Ion Battery with ExpressCharge
BATT - [312-5465]

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

The great AWsurvey

Aug 9, 2001, 1:05pm
That's a good survey... Check your spelling and consider rewording some
questions. Maybe provide checkboxes for some questions in the feature....

Just constructive criticism.... ;-)

-J.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

Help please?:)

Aug 29, 2001, 10:01pm
I was having the exact same problem at first. I thought I had it fixed, but
all I did was make my computer crash all the time. It was because my GeForce
2 was sharing an IRQ with my NIC. I was pretty much out of IRQs. I looked
though my BIOS, disabled some IRQ setting, and made some devices move to
diff IRQs. I also disabled stuff in control panel. Disabled USB crap I
don't, com ports (network printer), and just about anything else I didn't
need. The problems ceased right after a reboot. ;-) Hope it helps ya...

-J.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

Ejected for telling the truth about CNN ????

Oct 7, 2001, 3:53pm
As Nathan said... "Take it elsewere...."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

Ejected for telling the truth about CNN ????

Oct 7, 2001, 4:17pm
response below...

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote] So you're saying we shouldn't attack them, and take out their ability to do
something worse? We're just supposed to be nice to them, and start cataring
to them so they won't hate us anymore? Just because we're the biggest
county, doesn't mean we have to use our resources to appease everyone else.
No, it's the other way arround. They need to be dethly afraid of pissing us
off. Maby if we attack them, and they see we mean business, other countries
will be doing more to keep us happy (ie: not killing 6,000 of our people,
disrupting our stock market, destorying to 2 landmark building, leaving
thousands of childen parentless/wise, husbands widowed... the list goes
on....).

> From a statement in the press today about the world coalition against
> terrorism that really bothers me....
>
> "If there is an attempt to bring Syria and Arafat into the coalition, then
> that is a problem," an Israeli official said."
>
> Yes, it is a problem if we decide that we are not willing as a world to
work
> together no matter what the past & current differences. Hey, Russia & the
> USA are doing it! :-) A common goal goes a long ways toward removing hate,
> building trust and moving forward. This is an unprecedented opportunity
for
> everyone in the world if it's done right. I hope, as an American I can
> someday say that it was my country that lead the way.
>
> end of my .02
> Casay
>
> snip>
[View Quote]

(O/T) How to break your copy of Windows 98

Oct 22, 2001, 1:37am
I wonder how long it will take for you to figure out that 95% of the
population doesn't know how a computer works. Most of those people don't
give a rat's a$$ about it either. Just so long as it works.

My father's classic quote: "Why won't the GD thing just work. I paid all
this money for a computer, and I can't get it to do X" What he doesn't
understand is that installing crappy software and messing with settings has
sideaffects. He doesn't know this because he doesn't know how a computer
works.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

Linux

Nov 11, 2001, 10:41am
I run RedHat Linux 7 ( It's about time to upgrade...lol ) on a Dell
PowerEdge server. I've had absolutly no problems with it. Dell supports
RedHat, and has several great newgroups. ( You can speak directly to the
head engineer of the Linux division ). The only complaint I have aginst
RedHat is the FTP server they include. wu-ftp has root exploits right and
left... so, that'll be the first thing you have to change. I must admit,
I've never used any other distro of Linux, but why would I? ;-)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

html help

Nov 11, 2001, 4:30pm
The simplist way to keep your images from being stolen is to chop them up!
Take my logo for instance. It appears on the website as one image, but is
really a table of 10+ images. To steal my logo, you would have to find and
download every piece of the image. You could do this by looking at the
source. But putting it all back together is the hard part. Not only does
this stop casual copying, it's opens the door to more JS image rollovers.
Not all graphics are good candidates for this. Macromedia
Fireworks/Dreamweaver studio does the job very nicely.

-J.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

FREE NNTP Server Software?

Dec 28, 2001, 1:49pm
Yes, saddly most free server software is for *nix. Why? Well thats because
*nix servers control 80% of the market (weather you know it or not). So,
makes perfect sence. What doesn't make sence is why more people (like
yourself) don't join the *nix croud. No only does it mean you have more
money to spend on other stuff, it also means that you're not contributing to
the continuation MicroA$$'s "track record" (as you put it). So, I ask.. Why
not??

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker
JTech Web Systems
(www.JTechWebSystems.com -- Coming Soon)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[View Quote]

Lindows.Com: Target #1 for Microsoft. Help them out! :)

Feb 4, 2002, 9:47pm
I know this is a little late.. but...

>Quietly AOL...is negotiating to buy Red
> Hat (the number one Linux distributor in the world!). What can this
> mean except that AOL intends to offer an alternative to Windows for
> their users? And probably at no extra cost. You read it here first.

*hacks away at his linux machine*

Ahh, there.. no more Red Hat.. Sorry, can't use that anymore.

Why doesn't AOL just grab the source and make their own version? All they'd
have to do is change the Red Hat logos and recompile.

--