Pollen up next =)

F.

X Releases

Feb 15, 2001, 8:11pm
[View Quote] Try killing your cache, logging in and out, force it to download.

The machine is unix, so it may have some case-sensitivity problems, but it
*shouldnt*....there are some objects that have different cases...I might
tomorrow go through and lower case everything =)

Facter.
--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
Activeworlds.com
support at activeworlds.com

AW 3.1 stuck

Feb 15, 2001, 5:23pm
[View Quote] Have you emailed me at support at activeworlds.com ? =)

Send me the description again, i'm happy to help - as with anyone that has
problems with 3.1 .

Facter.
--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Fixes

Feb 16, 2001, 1:08pm
1) Placed AW X objects into lower case - this should fix the no objects
downloading problem - *should*
2) Mars avatars now correctly linked
3) Pollen objects are going to be uploaded to the main object server..there
were a few problems yesterday - also, i seem to be missing a heap of
sequences *grr* for some reason - if anyone knows of a utility that converts
a bunch of files that have caps in them to lower case, this will be made
ALOT quicker...hard to change several thousand bloomin file names...takes
way too much time by hand...but, public building is available in there...

Anyways, let me know again if there are more problems.

Facter
AW Support
Activeworlds.com Inc
support at activeworlds.com

Fixes

Feb 16, 2001, 6:51pm
Well - looks like everything has been fixed *fingers crossed*

Pollen has now also been moved to a new place, the objects are at
objects.activeworlds.com/pollen/models for ayone that wants to build in
there..there is *plenty* of room....

I'm off to vegas for the weekend after work this afternoon - so take care
all !

Facter.

[View Quote]

Alphaworld registry updates

Feb 20, 2001, 2:59pm
xclear1, xaw1 and xaw21 have been removed from the registry - these items
are unsuited for using in Alphaworld. The two AW objects,a re both meant to
be special objects denoting both cy awards winners and historical sites, and
the xclear object is ahuge object that can be used for vanadlism purposes.
Not really general consumption builds - if they have already been built
with, they wont be removed, but you wont be able to build with them anymore
=)

There are still a few problems with the X objects, and I will be fixing
outstanding issues today.

Facter.
--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Alphaworld registry updates

Feb 20, 2001, 3:14pm
- addendum 1 - xchsqua1.rwx and xchsqua2.rwx removed - invisable objects
that have no real building purpose.

F.

[View Quote]

Facter, your mission if you choose to accept it

I really dont have time to do that myself - but if someone does want to, I
will update the objects if its done and sent to me.

Facter.
--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Facter, your mission if you choose to accept it

Feb 21, 2001, 3:32pm
[View Quote] Ananas - there is no such word in the english language as "facter" - sorry
=)

Run Facter Run !
--
The opinions expressed in this newsgroup post are not representive of
Activeworlds.com

Facter, your mission if you choose to accept it

aarrgghhh

hehehe

F.

> facter schrieb:
news:3A93DDB8.747507A8 at oct31.de...
sorry
the

No newsletter

Feb 28, 2001, 12:37pm
Newsletter was deffered this month, it will be back in March.

Facter.

[View Quote]

X object fixes

Feb 28, 2001, 12:26pm
Removed xfw32x24.rwx xfw16x12.rwx xaw26.rwx from the registry
due to the fact that they could be used for encroaching purposes.

No objects currently placed will be lost, but they will not be able to be
used form now on.

--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Note how Roland doesn't seem to care anymore...

He is on holidays - after a release is about the only time the poor guy ever
gets a chance to do that.

Stop making assumptions Eep, please, until you know what you are talking
about...

--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

Feb 28, 2001, 7:58pm
Sorry, wrong account.

F.

[View Quote]

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

Actually, Flagg handles all of that - if it has taken weeks - why hasnt he
called to speak to someone ? If its a billing issue and it hasnt been
resolved, then it is taken on the phone, especially if they have been
charged and are not getting what they paid for. All sorts of things can
occur sometimes on the internet - like email not going through and such.

Call the offices if there is a genuine problem with credit card
transactions.

--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

Well, its uncommon in mine - I dont deal with that stuff, you would have to
ask Flagg. If it is done over the weekend, then there is usually a huge
amount to get through on Monday. People dont seem to realise that all this
stuff needs to be processed by hand, and at the beginning of a week it can
take up to 48 hours.
--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Anyways, as I said, if there is a problem, call the office, or email
billing at activeworlds.com again - every email and order is answered in the
order it comes through.

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

this
can

> that long?
>
> assuming 1100 worlds going for a year, that's 3 a day. I don't think there
> are 1100 worlds, but on the other hand some of them will renew more often
> than once a year. So, on average you'll have 9 or so renewals to do on
> monday. If everybody deceides to renew in the weekend, it might even be 15
> or so. You surely can process 15 or so world renewals in one day, can't
you?

Umm, you forget that we all do hundreds of different tasks per day Rolu -
there is no one that "just" processes that things all on their own - we do
every order and enquiry, world, technical support, orders, citizenship
purchases, world hosting, password problems, universe orders, renewals,
universe hosting, universe setups - *as they come in*, there is no
preferential treatment , we take email enquiries as they come in, unless the
situation is very important, or the customer has a valid complaint, then
something might be prioritised - this is common support and billing practice
throughout the modern world. I know for a fact Tom gets hundreds of emails a
day (as I myself do) - and standard company customer support, for almost any
company you see online, is 24-48 hours. Would you like it, if you sent an
email yesterday, and then I started answering the tech support emails that I
just got in five minutes before yours ? We do *many* different things here -
I do wish that you guys could understand the sheer number of daily tasks we
have - and that there is a limited number of people actually working here.
We do not have preferential treatment of those things - we treat all email
enquiries equally, renewals are on task out of hundreds of emails that come
in daily - thus, the standard (standard for most companies) turn around time
for support and billing email.

Why are you not commenting on the thousands of other companies for who this
kind of thing is common practice? It is not abnormal, it is not even
strange - when you order something online, it can take up to 48 hours to
process, from anywhere. In the case of "a few weeks", well, thats totally
unacceptable, and if that kind of thing ever occurs I do assure you it is
taken with all seriousness, but, those things do actually occur sometimes,
due to things like emails not going through and such - the internet is not
completely perfect.

Please remember, that there are so many tasks to do in one day, and only a
finite number of things that can be done in that day by two people - me on
support, and Flagg on billing etc. Two people, handling literally thousands
of things per day..no, I think we do very, very well in our jobs.

I believe that our support is a heck of alot better than alot of other
service providers you find on the internet, and I also believe that that is
all I have left to say on this thread.

Take care

--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

Mar 2, 2001, 12:30pm

> The processing of standard things - buying games online, buying worlds
> online, whatever you want - only takes long in understaffed underautomated
> companies. This does NOT mean the current staff is incompetent. If someone
> buys a world it should be up and running within a minute, 24h a day, 7
days
> a week, if hosted on one of your servers. Or if the customer wants to host
> it himself, he should have the password data mailed immediately, and be
able
> to make it run within 5 mins or so anyway. Simply because the complete
> process can be automated. And if it's automated, you don't have to do it
> anymore, freeing more time for tasks that do need human interaction - such
> as tech support.

Rolu - I dont really know how Tom processes things, but I do know that he
has to actually manually verify some of the CC transactions before they can
be processed.

I'll talk to him about it, and see if there is some way we can automate part
of that stuff...I dont really know much about the billing side of things, to
be totally honest.

--
Fletcher Anderson
Active Worlds Support
support at activeworlds.com

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

Mar 2, 2001, 3:28pm
things,

> If you have to manually check cc transactions, if someone buys a world
just
> skip that part and let one of your servers automatically set up the world
> and everything else needed, assuming for the moment that it's ok, and let
it
> put the cc check somewhere in your que. Later on, when you have time,
check
> the cc transaction. If it's ok, everything is ok and you can go on. If
it's
> not ok, you can either mail the owner about it, or close down the world
> (which should require no more than 1 or 2 commands either). The good part
is
> that someone who buys a world can start working on it immediately, which
> looks good (buy a world now, start building in 5 minutes! 24h/day,
> 7days/week!). The worst thing which could happen to you is that you give
> someone a free world for one or two days.

I talked to some of the guys, automating the world purchase and renewal etc
is the next step - not sure of a timeframe, but it is going to be
implemented like the trial worlds =)

So there ya go.

F.

Any advice? I paid for my world renewal and it still isn't up

Mar 2, 2001, 5:58pm
> Have you ever been on Seagate's website? They have a kind of online
trouble
> shooter, and encourage you to use it before you actually mail tech
support.
> As a reward, if you follow this trouble shooter and still can't get your
> problem solved, it gets a priority status. It asks you a question, and you
> can answer it by clicking buttons. It seems to filter out quite a few easy
> to solve problems. It's more intuitive and easier to use than a faq.

Already working on one for the new web site =)

F.

AW SURVIVOR Challenge II: Frozen Desert

Just be handy with those flame.rwx's and emergencyparamedic.rwx's...

hehehehe

F.

Re: rumor validation (was Re: mp3 & wav)

Mar 27, 2001, 1:53pm
[View Quote] Nope, there was no deletion - probably just didnt go through for some wierd
reason.

Facter
AW Support

Re: newbiness (was Re: AW name history)

Mar 27, 2001, 1:56pm
[View Quote] Sure, thats a given - because not everyone at AWCI is a techie Eep =P

Newbie =)

(that IS a joke mate)
F.

AW behind firewall or NAT based routers

Apr 17, 2001, 12:10pm
[View Quote] Yay Andras - the BANE of my existance

*spits in the general direction of NAT routers*

hahaha

Facter
AW Support

WinMe problems

May 2, 2001, 12:19pm
> This is with the latest Detonator drivers for Win9x taken from the same CD
that I reinstalled all my other drivers from so driver
> corruption isn't possible (I reinstalled the driver after Me just to be
sure.)

Are you absolutly sure they are the *latest* drivers? Dont rely on using
CD's that come with the video cards for your drivers, they are invariably
out of date. Go to Nvidias site and make sure that they are, compare them to
the ones there to the ones you are using.

Facter
AW Support

To Factor

May 16, 2001, 12:23pm
He's been informed of his overposting.

I'm not the moderator here guys, I dont really want to be either, I will
only do so in the most severe of cases, or, I will inform people that they
are abusing the newsgroups, I dont very often take any action at all, if
any, due to the huge dislike of *any* form of censorship in here.

Really, I'm here to throw in the occasional Tech support reply, nothing
more - its not in my job description, nor have I been designated as the
moderator of this group ...but as said, I will on occasion go and do
so...but only in severe cases, i like to think that people in here are
mature enough, and, as said, I'm pretty keen on the whole hands off
thing....plus, every time someone *does* moderate in here, and they are an
awci employee, we get bashed...so, really....

Anyways, he was informed...oh, and dont make this into a huge flameage on
policy and such people...I'm just the tech support guy and have no control
over that stuff =)

F.

[View Quote]

New StarWars 3D Coming

May 21, 2001, 11:42am
[View Quote] ...actually pretty old news, I've been following it for a while, but,t hey
just released the first screen shots and it looks awesome...

*sigh*...and I thought evercrack was bad, now i have starcrack to contend
with soon =/

F.

3.2?!?!?

May 21, 2001, 11:41am
[View Quote] 3.2 is a work in progress, it isnt even in alpha yet (we saw an early build
a few days ago) - and I assure you no one at all has a copy outside of
aw.com. It wont be out for a while yet in beta form.

Facter.

Gotta Love Those "Customer" Interests...

May 21, 2001, 11:55am
Do you have *any* idea how many proxy/NT issues we have? They account for
anywhere up to 60% of all tech support issues....god I cant wait for it.

As for everything else..well, sorry, I'm not the one that makes decisions
and such, but, let me just ask you something - why, if we wernt interested
in the users opinions as to features as you are accusing us of, would we put
this up ? http://www.activeworlds.com/products/suggest.html - And let me
assure you, this page IS being compiled, and the results are interesting (I
have seen them), and future builds *will* be using results from that page
to help determine what will be in them.

So 3.2 is a more bones tech build, for supporting more platforms, and to
help the poor buggers that are stuck behind proxy servers (you have NO idea
how many people mail me with problems as to it, you really dont.. ).

You guys continuously thinking that things are apathetic around here in
regards to users, without actually looking at the initiatives that people
here *DO* make for the users - how about instead of just looking on your
side of the fence, you look at the things that we DO do for the users on the
resources we have available ?

F.

[View Quote]

Gotta Love Those "Customer" Interests...

May 21, 2001, 6:30pm
[View Quote] Sarcastic? Not one bit, nor ever in the slightest, ever. Why would I do
something like that? And bored? do you actually have any idea what your
talking about ? I dont have time to be bored here...

F.

1  2  3  4  5  6  |