To Factor (Community)

To Factor // Community

1  |

casay

May 16, 2001, 12:44am
Dear Factor,
Will AW please look at the posting abuse of citizen n a y r and inform him
of the posting policies for this NG? It's past the point of frivolous
posting. Also, this is not Dreamland Park. We all know about it and if we
wanted to be citizens there we would.
Sincerely,
Casay

fyrene

May 16, 2001, 1:38am
Well said, Casay!! Take a bow or two :)
Fyrene

<snip>

eep

May 16, 2001, 2:41am
While I agree nayr is acting like a twit (not in your words, but is what you're getting at), I don't believe the eventual banning of him/her/it is the way to go. Simply filter the twit and ignore it and it'll go away. Did my actions not teach you (and others) anything about how to deal with similar (tho much worse and MUCH more constantly and consistently immature) twits?

nayr, Chuck, jfk2 (whatever), etc, are simply seeking attention for their low self-esteem, attention-deprived (and attention-hungry) pathetic lives. Why do you think such people make so much of an effort to BE lame in these newsgroups? Because they have no life off-line. It's like Kyle 1 who has been bugging me lately trying to be my friend, etc. He's young, lonely, and needs attention. This is common among adolescant males and is usually the cause of a lack of a father figure in their lives. It's basic pop psychology.

So, kids, start understanding why you act the way you do and perhaps you'll piss off less people and not make yourself look like a fool.

[View Quote] > Dear Factor,
> Will AW please look at the posting abuse of citizen n a y r and inform him
> of the posting policies for this NG? It's past the point of frivolous
> posting. Also, this is not Dreamland Park. We all know about it and if we
> wanted to be citizens there we would.

casay

May 16, 2001, 3:58am
I didn't ask AW to ban them or anyone though. I asked that they inform them
of the posting policies of this NG. Also, hopefully make them realize this
isn't Dreamland Parks Uniservers NG. IMHO it borders on spam since it isn't
AW Community related. You know me, I wouldn't complain if it had only been
one, maybe two posts on it all. Posting 7-8 times in a row with no real
topic or as a reply is abuse to me. I just want the *twits* umm *SNERTS*...
educated. Sigh, I know, it didn't work to try to educate the recent round of
children in here either. Never worked with you either ;-P~ *Looks for
Xav's flame proof jacket.. hmmm must still be around here someplace...Daphne
dear, do you have it?* (In defense just remember who the person was that was
very against the vote to remove you from this NG. )

A thought - Since this seems to be getting more out of control lately AW
could at least put up a site with this type of information. A great source
would be from a book called : Internet & computer ethics for kids ( and
parents & teachers that don't haven't got a clue)
http://www.nicekids.net/indexf.htm I am also requesting that posting in
HTML be prohibited.

Of course you're right, filtering the *twits* and everyone ignoring them
works too... peer pressure. .... that reminds me of how the citizens used to
deal with *twits* in the days before PK's etc. As I recall it worked well.
Unfortunately in here it doesn't seem to be as effective and I am asking
everyone that sees continual abuse to report the offender to their ISP. If
enough people turn someone in they will eventually lose their Internet
connection. Hopefully they will have learned their lesson once they get a
new one.

Casay
PS - Maybe some kind of script could be created to auto send the NG policy
when a person posts in here for the first time?
PSS- Sorry folks for bringing this all up again but I'm so tired of it I
could scream :-(
PSSS- To quote you.. "So, kids, start understanding why you act the way you
do and perhaps you'll piss off less people and not make yourself look like a
fool." Great statement! Might add, people might even respect you in here a
bit too ;-) *Thinking of ByteMe, probably one of the most respected teens in
all of AW, now that he seems to be getting his homework done the past few
years anyway.. lol .*

[View Quote]

eep

May 16, 2001, 4:36am
[View Quote] > I didn't ask AW to ban them or anyone though. I asked that they inform them
> of the posting policies of this NG.

But that's where it'll lead to if Facter (or AWCI) enforces their so-called "charter".

> Also, hopefully make them realize this
> isn't Dreamland Parks Uniservers NG. IMHO it borders on spam since it isn't
> AW Community related. You know me, I wouldn't complain if it had only been
> one, maybe two posts on it all. Posting 7-8 times in a row with no real
> topic or as a reply is abuse to me. I just want the *twits* umm *SNERTS*...
> educated. Sigh, I know, it didn't work to try to educate the recent round of
> children in here either. Never worked with you either ;-P~ *Looks for
> Xav's flame proof jacket.. hmmm must still be around here someplace...Daphne
> dear, do you have it?* (In defense just remember who the person was that was
> very against the vote to remove you from this NG. )
>
> A thought - Since this seems to be getting more out of control lately AW
> could at least put up a site with this type of information. A great source
> would be from a book called : Internet & computer ethics for kids ( and
> parents & teachers that don't haven't got a clue)
> http://www.nicekids.net/indexf.htm I am also requesting that posting in
> HTML be prohibited.
>
> Of course you're right, filtering the *twits* and everyone ignoring them
> works too... peer pressure. .... that reminds me of how the citizens used to
> deal with *twits* in the days before PK's etc. As I recall it worked well.
> Unfortunately in here it doesn't seem to be as effective and I am asking
> everyone that sees continual abuse to report the offender to their ISP. If
> enough people turn someone in they will eventually lose their Internet
> connection. Hopefully they will have learned their lesson once they get a
> new one.

Well, most, if not all, ISPs don't give a shit what people post in newsgroups since their disclaimers and terms of service (TOS)/acceptible use policies (AUP) remove liability from the ISP and place it onto the user. ISPs really only listen to spam complaints and even then they don't seem to do much, if anything. (Sure, they have auto-responding emails to make the spam reporter feel better, but I've never seen any evidence of a spammer being shut down and I've been reporting them for years.)

Anyway, what these brats need is firm negative response to their immaturity--much like what a father figure would do. Once they see they can't get away with this shit they'll either change (and perhaps become more mature) or simply go away. Shine the mirror back onto them so they see their true image and perhaps they'll be repulsed by what they see.

q1

May 16, 2001, 11:56am
Well said! this spamming proberly has done more harm to that Universe as a
example of what people use it are like.

But please AWCI stop missuse of newsgroups and get it back to discusion and
community threads.

[View Quote]

facter facter@awsupport

May 16, 2001, 12:23pm
He's been informed of his overposting.

I'm not the moderator here guys, I dont really want to be either, I will
only do so in the most severe of cases, or, I will inform people that they
are abusing the newsgroups, I dont very often take any action at all, if
any, due to the huge dislike of *any* form of censorship in here.

Really, I'm here to throw in the occasional Tech support reply, nothing
more - its not in my job description, nor have I been designated as the
moderator of this group ...but as said, I will on occasion go and do
so...but only in severe cases, i like to think that people in here are
mature enough, and, as said, I'm pretty keen on the whole hands off
thing....plus, every time someone *does* moderate in here, and they are an
awci employee, we get bashed...so, really....

Anyways, he was informed...oh, and dont make this into a huge flameage on
policy and such people...I'm just the tech support guy and have no control
over that stuff =)

F.

[View Quote]

casay

May 16, 2001, 1:29pm
Thanks for the update! Yep, I know you don't moderate this. That's why I
asked AW to inform him. Again, greatly appreciate the responce and info! :-)
HUGZ!
Casay

then get a citizen to moderate it! Like Goober King or someone... Ok, the
ppl around must be informed about how this works, etc (I don't think that N
a y R has understood this...)

KAH
PS. What happened to the war game you posted about last year?

Gah! Me, moderate the newsgroups?! Are you kidding? If I was to moderate
the NGs, I'd rip the Charter to shreds and start from scratch! There may
be idiots among us, but I feel that community pressure is better than
any charter at stifling their lunacy. (Even Chuck got the hint after a
while...)

But since no one is moderating the forum, then perhaps we need to write
up our own charter? One that we will all agree to follow, and then
repost every month for all the newcomers to read. Sort of like a
newsgroup Social Contract/Constitution thing going on. Thoughts? :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Guess who just got done taking an Philosophy course? :P
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

Good idea. But it should also be ratified by 9 of the 13 states too before
it becomes effective. ;)
Oh, er.. the states? Um... the states of revulsion, flaming, community,
stupidity, insanity, denial, well-being, solid, fluidic, gaseous, plasma,
perpetual good will, and the state of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
:D

SW Chris

[View Quote]

chucks party

May 17, 2001, 4:06am
LMAO! very funny Chris that was a good one 8-) I think I like Facter's take
on it better. Post and let Post, LOL

Anyway, wouldn't it be time for one of those descriptions of all the
regulars in the NGs (you did it sometime last year)?

Hehe, sounds like an idea... *drafts Newbie Guide to the NewsGroups
v2.0*

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Watch this be an annual thing now. :P
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

jfk2

May 17, 2001, 9:43pm
Yippie..... I can become the Moderator. Moderators job can be fun in a way...
You can even EJECT the people that are making trouble... You can even
help clean up their nasty messages.... [Hmmmm..... I don't know of
anyone in here that would ever do that. lol]. you can even repremand
those that tend to use the CUSS words...

SO.... I am putting everyone on notice hear and now about using CUSS
words in an adult NGS....
As far as cleaning up the nasty messages.... hmmmmm.....
Well..... Starting with myself... [How many moderators would ever
think about starting with themselves... As they are considered the GODS
OF THE MODERATED GROUP].... I would have to clean up at least the past
few months of my posts... Same goes for Chucks Party.... And likewise to
many more people that posted bad things in here.....

NOW as far as ejecting people for really being BAD....
I would have to start at the other end of it.... {You'll see why in a
moment]
SO that means Chucks Party gets the boot FIRST.....
Followed by me.... THAT IS RIGHT..... I just gave myself the BOOT for all my
nasty things in here....

But then since i just booted myself out of here..... I guess my few seconds
moderating this group are now over as someone will have to replace me. LOLOL!!!

kah <kah at kahbot.com> wrote in <3b02bf75$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>then get a citizen to moderate it! Like Goober King or someone... Ok, the
>ppl around must be informed about how this works, etc (I don't think that N
>a y R has understood this...)
>
>KAH
>PS. What happened to the war game you posted about last year?

[View Quote]

datedman

May 19, 2001, 7:20pm
Well when you call an ISP a *twitfuck* getting some action is gonna be tough. :)

[View Quote] [View Quote]