New StarWars 3D Coming (Community)

New StarWars 3D Coming // Community

1  |

casay

May 20, 2001, 7:23am
Thought this was interesting as it says players will be able to build too.
http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/e3/story/0,23008,3328310,00.html
Casay

wizard myrddin

May 20, 2001, 8:00am
Yes after reading this article, I hope it never comes on line through the
Internet. Charactor customization is one facility that really brings the
"personal" customization into to virtual environments.

Some of the other virtual environments enjoy this facitily allready, but
building is restricted to the users own "turf". Perhaps this can be a next
step in the development of AW? Fully customized avatars, that the users can
interchange heads and bodys.

Well its a thought anyway

Wiz
[View Quote]

moria

May 20, 2001, 8:07am
Excellent:)

I have been following this and I am glad they are close to release
announcements.

The engine is based on that of Everquest, which if you havent sseen it, is
stunning for 3d gaming. The fact that they have added the building etc that
has for long been asked for in Everquest is wonderful, but I wonder how far
they have taken this. I expect it will a) be expensive and b) somewhat
restricted in its scope etc. From Everquest discussions, I would expect a
few basic house types, which you can buy in pre-arranged areas rather than
building as in AW per se.

I think it will attract a different market from AW though, I envisage large
groups of kids screaming round yelling "may the force be with you" shortly
before they all pounce on a rat and get wiped out, and some very powerful
alliances of older players that live there and generate some real
communities like the more powerful and established guilds in EQ and go on to
explore the universe in depth on a daily basis, and then wipe out the kids
the rats missed :).

At last, something new, my lvl 60 druid in EQ is getting bored.. theres
only so many times you can go to the planes with your guild before they get
boring:))

Its going to be interesting though to split time between the new Star-Wars
and the new EQ expansion due out later this year:)

However, at the end of the day, the more 3d communities there are on the
net, the more some people will be attracted, search and find AW as many of
us did all those years ago:)

Moria

[View Quote]

moria

May 20, 2001, 8:21am
Greetings:)

[View Quote] I think it will be like EQ, online only needing an account to play the game
at $10 a month, possibly, the same as EQ.

Customisation of EQ characters takes place as well.. but it is limited..
for each character/race there is a choice of male/female and about 10 heads,
all matched in some way, maybe different hair colour.. a patch over one
eye.. simple customisations.

The primary customisation is in the equipment you pick up/ loot/ steal
etc.. all equipment you place on your character will show, so for instance,
you know a medium level druid is wearing a BCP breastplate, because you can
see it, and nothing else looks like it:) A high level druid will be
wandering around in all green armour that looks metallic (probably) ie the
best:) The weapon a character is carrying will look different as well.

> Some of the other virtual environments enjoy this facitily allready, but
> building is restricted to the users own "turf". Perhaps this can be a next
> step in the development of AW? Fully customized avatars, that the users
can
> interchange heads and bodys.

I suspect here your right as well, the building will possibly be
customisable inside with items, but thats as far as it will go:)

Once you have selected the base customisation for your character in EQ thats
it, you cant change.. unlike the old worlds away system where you could buy
new heads etc to constantly change your appearance.. but again that was on
2D avatars not 3D ones:)

Moria

gamer

May 20, 2001, 9:53am
OMG...Geforce 1? 3?????

I dont even have a proper 3D card...I have some crap called '3D Now
Technology' which sux badly....i need a new comp...

-Gamer

Ah, you're talking about Star Wars Galaxies, a massively multiplayer online
rpg.
[View Quote] > I think it will be like EQ, online only needing an account to play the
game
> at $10 a month, possibly, the same as EQ.
There is a FAQ about all this stuff over on the StarWarsGalaxies.Com
website.

> Customisation of EQ characters takes place as well.. but it is limited..
> for each character/race there is a choice of male/female and about 10
heads,
> all matched in some way, maybe different hair colour.. a patch over one
> eye.. simple customisations.

In Star Wars Galaxies, you will be limited like this, but you will also be
able to "shape" or "smudge" each of the heads and body shapes to give your
character a truly unique look. They are not simple customizations at all.

> The primary customisation is in the equipment you pick up/ loot/ steal
> etc.. all equipment you place on your character will show, so for
instance,
> you know a medium level druid is wearing a BCP breastplate, because you
can
> see it, and nothing else looks like it:) A high level druid will be
> wandering around in all green armour that looks metallic (probably) ie
the
> best:) The weapon a character is carrying will look different as well.

Star Wars Galaxies has an unprecedented amount of customization already
built into the beta engine. In addition to a ton of skills and skill
points, you will be able to reassign skill points you've already used to
learn new skills, at the expense of your old skill of course.

next
> can

I must concur with eep's pov on this. It'll never happen. ;)

> I suspect here your right as well, the building will possibly be
> customisable inside with items, but thats as far as it will go:)

Doubtful, that is. Customized building is not the main part of the game,
although that certainly will be included, and probably with a system similar
to AW's. Role Playing is the main part, but the developers are going
straight to the gamers on this one. So voice your opinion on the Star Wars
Galaxies developer forum and if you get enough people, they will listen.
This has happened already. The gamers wanted space combat, and the first
addon will include just that.

> Once you have selected the base customisation for your character in EQ
thats
> it, you cant change.. unlike the old worlds away system where you could
buy
> new heads etc to constantly change your appearance.. but again that was
on
> 2D avatars not 3D ones:)

I'm not sure about yoru body shape, but I imagine they will at least limit
changing your body shape to that of yoru species that you've already chosen.
You will be able to customize skills though, even after you've already
chosen your base skills in the character creation stage.

SW Chris

moria

May 20, 2001, 5:11pm
yep your right, thats what we are talking about:)

Moria

[View Quote]

jfk2

May 20, 2001, 6:29pm
That fully costoomized avatars that the user can interchange with someone
else... THAT SOUNDS COOL!!!!!

Imagine... I change my Avatar HEAD with Just In's Avatar HEAD [I'd be
gaining in the long run here... I'd be picking up TONS OF SMARTS...
and even some of us DUMMIES can see the advantage to gaining alot of SMARTS...]
But on Just In's side... He would be losing SMARTS and gaining the abilty
do deal with people smarts... I can deal with people like Just In very
excellent... hmmmmmmm
hmmmmm.......
The longer i think about it..... I don't think Just In would be toooo
happy. He would become ME... And I'd run to the hills of
Dreamland Park Universe to escape any of the mess that I USED TO DO against
Just In...
And certainly Chucks Party isn't in DLPU... [ YET ]...

Yes.... I would be happy to enter that Avatar Exchange program...
I would pick Just In's HEAD & BODY [Might as well get it all while i'm at it]
and Just In can hve me... And gain tone of my smarts... [NO... I'll let
Just In fill in that comment on my SMARTS]
but i LOVE that idea. Whan does AW start doing that? And can I be one of
the first to enter the exchange program with Just In as by Body & Head exchange
partner... THAT SOUNDS REALLY COOL!!!!!!

wizard myrddin <avrquest at ntlworld.com> wrote in
<3b0795b1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Yes after reading this article, I hope it never comes on line through the
>Internet. Charactor customization is one facility that really brings the
>"personal" customization into to virtual environments.
>
>Some of the other virtual environments enjoy this facitily allready, but
>building is restricted to the users own "turf". Perhaps this can be a next
>step in the development of AW? Fully customized avatars, that the users can
>interchange heads and bodys.
>
>Well its a thought anyway
>
>Wiz

You have some obsessive compulsive disorder with Just In or something?

SW Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2

May 20, 2001, 11:33pm
Ohhhh noooo.... Nothing like that. It's just i have noticed that Just In is
a hole lot better builder than i am [I would gain some of that knowledge].
AND he can create objects. [While Chucks Party can build super...
He can't create special objects for anything. He has to ask around for
donations of anything. NOW if i had Just In's head... I too could
create objects and build much better than i do now. That is all i'm saying
here. To see some of Just In's works... [And he does know how to build...]
aw 500s 400w BUT since he can make objects... Pop into NewYork World
or Broadway World and look at the downtown areas... that should give anyone
some clue to his building. I couldn't do that with my head in 50 yrs.
BUT exchanging my head with his... FOR AWHILE... I might be able to gain
some of that knowledge too... And even if i gained 1/10 of what Just In has...
I would be a happy camper indeed.

sw chris <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in <3b086dd5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>You have some obsessive compulsive disorder with Just In or something?
>
>SW Chris

[View Quote]

wing

May 21, 2001, 8:46am
[View Quote] a whole lot better speller too.

> AND he can create objects. [While Chucks Party can build super...

So can any wanker with notepad, and I don't give a shit how well Chuck can build, nor does any other half-wit that has the mental
disorder that causes them to regularly read these groups.

> He can't create special objects for anything. He has to ask around for
> donations of anything. NOW if i had Just In's head... I too could
> create objects and build much better than i do now.

Great, you're a headhunter now.

Okay, that's enough of this crap

facter facter@awsupport

May 21, 2001, 11:42am
[View Quote] ...actually pretty old news, I've been following it for a while, but,t hey
just released the first screen shots and it looks awesome...

*sigh*...and I thought evercrack was bad, now i have starcrack to contend
with soon =/

F.