dabartender // User Search

1  2  3  |

changing default browsers

Dec 22, 2001, 2:57am
Goes along with my favorite tagline of all time:

"Microsoft - Where Quality is Job 1.1"

[View Quote]

A Little Of Course

Dec 19, 2001, 8:15pm
[View Quote] It most certainly is - USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72)

>and sure as hell isn't the second largest boat we got

It most certainly is - the only US Naval ship that outclasses her by gross
tonnage is the USS John C. Stennis (CVN-75.)
Just for trivia, USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) is the longest US warship. Have a
look at the pointy end sometime, and see the little ramp that comes off one
of the bow catapults. She's about 11 feet longer than the Lincoln.

> 2) Aircraft carriers are deep water vessels, the likelihood that they come
> anywhere near a lighthouse anywhere except Norfolk on the Atlantic coast
> would seem to be slim to none.

You'd be surprised ;-)

Having said all that, this story *is* a really, really old urban legend.
However, the story of "Old Abe" interrupting the America's Cup race in San
Diego a few years ago is absolutely true!
http://www.cnn.com/EVENTS/year_in_review/sports/feb.html
Have a look at 4 February :-)

[View Quote]

A Little Of Course

Dec 19, 2001, 8:20pm
And sorry, wing, that post wasn't meant to sound as butt-hole-ish as it came
out ;-)

A Little Of Course

Dec 19, 2001, 9:36pm
If you have any questions I can help you with, gimme a shout!
(admin at hooverae.com.) I'll be happy to answer anything I actually know the
answer to LOL :D If you haven't seen any of my posts about it in the past,
I'm active duty Navy, and have a pretty solid perspective on the way things
are right now ;-)

[View Quote]

A Little Of Course

Dec 21, 2001, 4:08am
The only link I've been able to dig up for it is that one from CNN
sports...but on February 4th, 1995, the Lincoln was coming back to San Diego
after a training cruise. Around or about San Clemente Island, due to a heavy
fog, they steamed right through the middle of the America's Cup race course,
causing the race to be postponed for a bit while they passed through.

It was all over the news out here when it happened, but strangely, it's hard
to find any references to it now. Probably one of those embarrassing
moments that the Navy wants to put behind 'em ;-)

[View Quote]

A Little Of Course

Dec 21, 2001, 4:12am
http://www2.mimer.no/~ivaknu01/maritime/images.html

Scroll down to "Pictures from the America's Cup 1995"

:-)

A Little Of Course

Dec 21, 2001, 4:15am
And one more...
http://www.skyboom.com/14flash/lincoln.html

Ghost Objects in View Window

Jan 20, 2002, 2:38am
Count me in on this one too...Win2K, 64-meg GF2 MX400, and I absolutely
*HAVE* to reboot the system after running AW if I want to play a game. It's
the only thing I've seen in a long time that will consistently bluescreen an
NT-based box.

[View Quote]

Attn: shred

Feb 8, 2002, 3:09am
Can ya hit me on the Cox addy? Tnx :-)

anyone know about quake .bsp files ?

Feb 10, 2002, 2:08am
Plugging the phrase "Quake map editor" into Google pulls up roughly 50,000
semi-relebant hits LOL...I can see where it might be difficult to sift thru
all that :D

I haven't played with Quake stuff at all, but I'm sure there's *something*
to fit the bill *somewhere*...it's just going to be a question of narrowing
down the field. Have you thought about posting on any of the message boards
at various Quake sites, and maybe asking what the folks are using for their
editing? I think that'd be my first stop at this point. But running through
the top 20 or 30 hits on the Google search should also yield some good info.

Good luck! :-)

[View Quote]

My first post, help with 3D card

Mar 1, 2002, 9:44pm
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud here, but IMHO, the performance difference
between a GF4MX and a GF2MX isn't really worth the $120+ price difference
:-)

Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com) has a basic review of the new GF4
cards. While the GF4MX has higher memory bandwidth and a faster clock speed,
the overall "fill rate" is 600Mpixels/sec vs. 400 for the GF2MX. So you
optimally get 50% more overall performance increase at roughly 250-300% of
the price. Not exactly the price/performance ratio I'd typically spend my
money for.

I've got a 64-meg GF2 card that I wouldn't give up for the world right now,
given the price differences. The GF4MX line is *crippled* in comparison to
the GF4 Ti cards...the Ti series is the cream of the crop - with prices to
match ;-)

As someone who does some pretty hardcore 3D stuff beyond AW, I can say that
the performance of a GF2 card would be well worth the $50 or $60 you'd spend
on it.

Don't take my opinion as gospel, though...do some research on your own,
listen to others, and make your own decisions :-)

[View Quote]

My first post, help with 3D card

Mar 1, 2002, 9:47pm
Er...meant that as a reply to the original post, sorry Chris :D

Help.

Mar 13, 2002, 11:25pm
In Outlook Express:

<Newsgroup Name> ---> right-click --> "Unsubscribe"

Close OE. *This is an important step.*

Re-open OE, go to:

Tools --> Options

Click the "Read" tab

Under "News:" Check the "Get <number of> Headers" box to be able to download
a maximum of 1000 headers, or uncheck the box to download every header
currently available on the server.

Close OE and re-open it one more time, re-subscribe to the newsgroup, and
let the games begin :-)

[View Quote]

If it makes any difference to anyone...

Mar 18, 2002, 10:37pm
....I renewed HooverAE for another year :-) Neither Shred nor I have really
touched it since like December due to this stupid real-life thing (who
invented that, anyway?) taking up our respective personal time, but it's
there, and there are still plans to build it up some more.

I'm willing to give it some more time and see how things pan out...I'm no
happier about the tourist situation than anyone else, but I'm holding out
some hope (cough) that AW will see the error of their ways and take it back
to the way it was (cough.)

I'd really like to go back to bringing friends in - for free, with no
strings attached, as it always was - and perhaps generate a little more
revenue for AW by having friends immigrate - as has happened more than a few
times over the last few years, even when I wasn't a world owner.

Regardless of the tangent I seem to have gone on here, our place is still
around, even if we're not so much :-)

Beta testers needed for Firewall AW version

Mar 31, 2001, 8:40am
Works for me too, pal...it's all in the configuration, methinks ;-)

[View Quote]

Re: Recurring crash (build 373)

Apr 1, 2001, 1:10am
Intel's been doing video for quite some time, most notably with the i740
chipset.

It's nothing to write home about, though, just as you suspected :-)

[View Quote]

Hmmm...

Apr 6, 2001, 12:39am
Or Texas, or Illinois, or a couple of others...

[View Quote]

Flickering Polygons Everywhere

Apr 6, 2001, 8:10pm
Did you reinstall your ATI driver - or even better, check for an update -
after you installed DX? I had that happen a lot (in other programs too, not
just AW) with my old 32-meg Rage Fury card.

Might be worth a shot :-)

[View Quote]

GorWorld....what is up with this world??

Apr 16, 2001, 1:48pm
[View Quote] Was born in, and lived in Maine for 21 years...grew up right outside of
Bangor :-)

New site up

Apr 19, 2001, 3:15am
....slim as it may be. A whole bunch of - well OK, 2 - downloads available at
the moment <G>

http://www.hooverae.com/index.htm

Note that you currently must specify the index.htm when accessing the
site...I'll fix that up later.

Quick slap-it-together site, but I'll get down to it over the coming weekend
and put some more stuff on there. Just wanted to get the groundwork laid
down for now, and get at least the two things out to the public.

Hope y'all enjoy what I hope to turn into a half-decent site ;-)

New site up

Apr 20, 2001, 6:42pm
[View Quote] Thanks for the feedback! I'm working on some others as we speak, release
dates will depend on how much free time I have :-)

ANyone knwo what files Hare 1.1.1 deleted?

Apr 28, 2001, 12:35pm
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000Y8M,.html

This is a link to the VB6 Runtime files...install this after you kill Hare,
and you oughta be good to go. Hopefully :)

[View Quote]

ANyone knwo what files Hare 1.1.1 deleted?

Apr 29, 2001, 2:16pm
OK, let's get this straightened out. I've been playing with this program a
lot longer than it's been making the rounds in this newsgroup, and it's time
to clear up a few rumors and misconceptions.
And no, I do not know anyone at, or work for, Dachshund Software.

1) Hare 1.1.1 is NOT a virus. It is a program from Dachshund Software
(http://www.dachshundsoftware.com) that supposedly accelerates Windows
computers. It is a kernel replacement that modifies and prioritizes the way
the computer assigns CPU tasking to programs, therefore making the speed of
the computer seem faster.

2) The program may or may not be effective for some users and some hardware
combinations. I've seen it work, I've seen it not work.

3) Hare, in itself, is not destructive. The problem lies in the Uninstall
program. When you uninstall Hare, it deletes a Visual Basic runtime file,
MSVBVM60.DLL, without asking the user if he/she wants to keep it. This file
is necessary for any program written in Visual Basic 6. Without it, those
programs will not run.

If you're brave and want to play with the program, go right ahead. When
you're done, uninstall it. After you uninstall it, visit
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000Y8M,.html (or any other
place with the same files) to download the Visual Basic Runtime package.
This will replace the MSVBVM60.DLL file that Hare deletes, and your computer
should be back to normal.
*Should* be - I'm not personally guaranteeing it. I can only report on the
personal experiences I've had with it.

[View Quote]

ANyone knwo what files Hare 1.1.1 deleted?

Apr 30, 2001, 12:55am
And there ya have a case of "it works for some machines" :D

It's a great concept...unfortunately, Dachshund's implementation is less
than perfect...if there is a such a thing as "perfection" when it comes to
futzing around with the Windows kernel LOL <G>

It upped my Athlon 850 system about 6% (if I did the math right) when it
came to rendering images in Lightwave, probably due to the prioritzing
routines, given the number of services and servers I have running in the
background. It wasn't enough of a gain to keep it, obviously...but a friend
of mine has a P2/350, and it's boosted his system by nearly 30% in the high
CPU tasking areas. The software has potential, for sure...they just have to
work out a few minor issues :-)

[View Quote]

SG-1 world?

Apr 30, 2001, 12:57am
I'd be interested to see that myself...I just downloaded a crapload of
Stargate objects from...uhhh...some damn site I can't remember now LOL...but
I have the objects (some COB, some LWO) if you want them :-)

[View Quote]

wing has offered absolutely no redeeming value in this NG

May 13, 2001, 3:38pm
[View Quote] OK, I've tried to keep my mouth shut so far, but this one is just too
blatantly idiotic to let pass...

That whole thing you posted was the *copyright statement* for the Prodigy
website. It had absolutely nothing to do with their Terms of Service for
customers' use of their Internet services.

How can you attempt to start a war when you can't even load your weapon
properly? Sheesh...LET IT DIE already.

....kerPLONK

wing has offered absolutely no redeeming value in this NG

May 13, 2001, 4:56pm
[View Quote] No worries, wing :-)

OT (maybe?) Guide: "Posting on Forums" (humor)

May 13, 2001, 1:30pm
http://somethingawful.com/guides/forums/index.htm

Someone has (a) too much free time, and (b) an amazing grasp of Usenet ;-)

*Sigh* Tourists...

May 18, 2001, 2:21am
All I can say is....

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!

;-D

[View Quote]

Rumors are they real or not???????????????

May 18, 2001, 1:33am
[View Quote] One phrase for you:

Do you see any other Uni server's name there?

Nope, didn't think so.

1  2  3  |