agreeing with the GK's is bad (General Discussion)

agreeing with the GK's is bad // General Discussion

1  2  3  4  5  6  |

count dracula

Apr 23, 2003, 12:16pm

> I have NEVER in my life heard anyone chastised for saying "crap." I have,
> however, heard school teachers, clergy, and politicians use it publicly.
>

> -
> Wing
> Citizen 305004
> World: WingCorp (Currently down due to extensive hardware failures)

I have been asked to leave because I said " damn, tomorrow my citizenship
will expire". I was wondering why. I was told not to cuss. It took my quite
a while to figure out at which point I had cussed . I even presented the
ethymology behind damn, but nothing helped... I guess it is impossible to be
around narrowminded hypocrats LOL

Drac

[View Quote] Damn is G rated as well. It didn't use to be though, it's only recently that it was
considered part of the G rated environment.

--Bowen--

princess kiki

Apr 23, 2003, 1:40pm
Just HOW G-rated is the gate supposed to be? Sunday School G-rated? If that
is the case then DeDe Cybermom shouldn't have been wandering around
pinching people on their butts yesterday!

Selective rules, I tell ya!

[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Apr 23, 2003, 4:27pm
Sunday school with no religious stuff allowed style..O.o

-AFM(7th point......O_)O_OO_O)

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 23, 2003, 6:28pm
> I simply tried to teach Bowen how to apriciate and even be thankfull
for his ejection.

I can't ever remember an ejection I was thankful for.

> The GK on duty might have heard or someone might have told him/her that
Bowen knows other than G-rated language and therefore is a threat to a G-
rated enviroment.

Everyone is a threat to the G-rated environment. Even if someone didn't
know any bad language they could still steer the topic away from G rated.
The point here is that I think it was obvious that all Bowen was doing
was stating that "breast" does not have to be a sexual word.

As far as ejections at the gate are concerned, I think pre-emptive
strikes are a bad move. There is only one way to be sure if a
conversation is going to turn nasty, and that is to wait until the nasty
bit happens. If someone ejects just because the conversation COULD turn
nasty you might end up with one very angry inncoent ejectee.

Some might say it's better to be safe than sorry - but it seems to me
like pre-emptive strikes make the gate look like CENSORSHIP CITY. If GKs
are going to start getting rid of people because they have the potential
to cause trouble, you might just shut down AW now because AWI sure isn't
going to get any new citizens!

rossyboy

Apr 23, 2003, 6:42pm
Um... I think the point of her whining is that GK behaviour has to change.
It's not like she's saying "so-and-so called me names". If she was
complaining about some particular person like that over and over
pointlessly it would get annoying. But there is a point behind her posts.

She's not mad about the ACTUAL INCIDENT anymore, but she is using it as an
example. This sort of stuff can happen again, and it WILL drive people away
from AW.

"defiance" <Defiance at micro$oft.com> wrote this
(news:3ea5a327 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 22 Apr
2003:

> who cares, get over urself dammit!

*smacks Rossy* What did I tell Bowen *not* to do? :P

Back-handed sanity enforcer
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

[View Quote] Well Sunday school just means anal retentive, in short.

--Bowen--

kellee

Apr 24, 2003, 3:06am
When should a teacher eject a visitor to AWSchool? Good question! And it is
a very subjective one, at that :o) Basically, we eject when a visitor is
abusing our hospitality, we need to remember that we are teachers and hosts
and not dictators of ppls morality.

If some one comes to your home, perhaps a friend of your sisters, and says
"Hotdamn, your mother's cookies are great!" Do you threaten to turf them out
in the street? Do you say to them " this is a G rated home, please do not
use that language here" or do you just take the compliment as it was meant
and not invite them over when your aged grandmother is present? Of course
you do. :o)

On the other hand, if a person is abusing your sister in your home, calling
her rude names and casting dispersions on her in front of you...... you grab
him by the arm and make sure he hits the pavement, don't you? Well i would
hope the same applies in AWSchool, if you have a visitor that is clearly out
to see how fast he can upset everyone, i would only warn him that the
pavement is close once at the most. And doing it in whisper will hopefully
not upset his vanity and make him all the more determined to "show how tough
he is"

That is the two extremes, there are many situations in between and will be
up to the individual to display sound judgement and listen to his/her
experience when choosing to warn or eject or just shrug it off. Or taking
the time to change the subject without alluding to the comment that was
"borderline".

-Remember, little words like damn, shit and the like is not going to hurt
any one. Talking in caps is not something that is worth yelling at some one
for unless they are combining that with abuse and or harassment.

makes a lot of sense .....dont it?

bowen

Apr 24, 2003, 3:24am
[View Quote] Well, the GK's are always bad judges... with some of the stuff they do themselves
it's apphauling on what they eject others for. It's downright disgusting at that.

--Bowen--

binarybud

Apr 24, 2003, 10:53am
Your generalizing GK's are not ALWAYS bad judges. Yes there are some that have no right to judge anyone and others are quite professional in what they do and offer. It's just like society.....we got a little of everything...:)

as I see it the main problem is the majority of the people visiting the gate are in the "young crowd" category...and most of them do not like to be disciplined.....they are not into the "authority figures" and that is what a GK is....and they have to remember that the only tool a GK has to discipline in the Gate is to send that person to their room(eject) not really that harmful if you ask me...maybe a shot to their ego's....but no harm no foul...:)

Leo :)

[View Quote]

binarybud

Apr 24, 2003, 11:00am
and while i'm here.... I have always thought that AW should have a feature like the AOL-IM "warning" this allows everyone in the "room" control over the pests...... of course AWI needs to figure out how to actually eject/ban someone from a world first...:)

Leo :)

[View Quote]

count dracula

Apr 24, 2003, 12:18pm
*watches Gober giving Rossy a pre-emptive smack and rolls on floor lauging
his g-rated ass off*

Drac
goober king <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:3EA70B10.1050701 at utn.cjb.net...
> *smacks Rossy* What did I tell Bowen *not* to do? :P

[View Quote]

truetome2

Apr 24, 2003, 1:47pm
I'm back, and I think everyone has things to say that really seemed to be
bothering them, but I don't feel that what you are complaining about is
being represented in the right way. Ok points that have been made:

1.) Some GK's eject for reasons that they should not.
2.) Some GK's Don't eject when they should.
3.) Some GK's seem to act as though they are superiour to others.
4.) Some GK's do not appear to know what is G rated and what is not G rated.

Does that seem like a fair assestment of the problems?

Ok well then let's start there, first off as I mentioned in my last post
the only way to help find these troubled GK's is to let the ETL's know that
there is a problem. Second I must say again that as with any large group
specially a volunteer group it is hard to choose someone who will as we in
the GK's say "Smile from the wrist down" always! Everyone that has ever
applied for GK's has said "oh I can handle the pressure and I will smile and
not go nuts" but then you have these instances like what has been posted
here. Sometimes, a problem you witness may be from a new GK who is working
on their own but really is still learning....example->Lady Barbara she is
a newer GK and when you are new you try to do your very best to uphold the
rules, granted I agree that "Crap" does not warrant warning or ejection in
the case I read but in other times I have had to myself warn or eject for
the same word, but for different reasons... Tourist said "GK I'm going to
beat the crap out of you" well that is harassment and so out he might
go...Notice I said "might" in my case I usually say ok whatever and try to
go on but we do tend to have a lot of young people who think it is more fun
to try and get ejected than to chat with others.

As for joining the PK's & GK's together, well that is not going to
happen. We do two completely different jobs for AWI and we work together in
that fashion but not as one group. If someone has called the PK's to the
gate for help, again it is because they are not trained completely. We do
not call PKs for GK business, that is not standard practice. I am sure that
the PK's and the WK's all have their own internal problems and they all know
that training is the key to success. As a Team Leader I am constantly
training my team to be better GK's, and I am very proud of the group I have
to work with. They are super GK's and you've not complained about one of
them but... we are all one big team and it saddens me to see so many upset
with the GK organization as a whole because of a few GK's.

You are right this is a NG and it is here for discussion, so I guess I
am glad that the problems are being brought to light because I assure they
are being looked into.

May I ask one thing?
Please don't condemn all Gatekeepers for the actions of a few, and if you
have a complaint turn it in and we will take care of it. Gate is suppose to
be a place for newcomers to learn, it is G rated and yes that is a very thin
line, one that sometimes is in question with more than just the GK, but we
have a job to do and even if we think "hey that was not to bad", sometimes
we have others complaining in whispers or grams to do something about so and
so. My favorite answer is "MUTE" but sometimes that doesn't always work.

Just as Leo said:

Your generalizing GK's are not ALWAYS bad judges. Yes there are some
that have no right to judge anyone and others are quite professional in what
they do and offer. It's just like society.....we got a little of
everything...:)

as I see it the main problem is the majority of the people visiting the gate
are in the "young crowd" category...and most of them do not like to be
disciplined.....they are not into the "authority figures" and that is what a
GK is....and they have to remember that the only tool a GK has to discipline
in the Gate is to send that person to their room(eject) not really that
harmful if you ask me...maybe a shot to their ego's....but no harm no
foul...:)

Leo :)
___________________

So please when your in gate, remember the old saying "if you want respect,
you have got to give respect" and if you find that you are not getting the
respect you deserve or are wrongly ejected turn it in. Oh and anyone who
likes may add my name to their contact list and gram me if you like, I am
not the one who makes decisions but I can help you get the response your
looking for.

--
Sincerely,
TL-TrueToMe2

"Quote of the day"
The Power to "Unite" is Stronger than the power to "Divide".

BTW, it should be noted that the GK website is grossly outdated (one of
the ETLs has passed away and the other is now a "regular" GK). Perhaps
if that was a bit more up-to-date, people would be able to get in touch
with the ETLs a little easier, as emailing may be too slow for a given
situation.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Keeping with the times
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

[View Quote] No. I didn't say, "I'm going to beat the crap out of you" I said, "crap, my world is
down." If I was warrented my ejection, then I wouldn't complain, but I wasn't (and
when it came to breast I was simply explaining that it originaly wasn't sexual in
discussion and is still in G rated terms).

[View Quote] Also, when he said stop saying breast, I asked if "boob" was ok and he still
complaing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the most anal of Sunday school teachers
allows boob in place of breast. Even tbough breast, itself, is G rated without ever
having to be sexual in nature.

--Bowen--

binarybud

Apr 24, 2003, 3:10pm
I needed to clearify this statement: "AWI needs to figure out how to actually eject/ban someone from a world first...:)"
this is referring to the technical aspects of an eject. There are ways to actually keep people out once you've ejected and AWI needs to get this figured out. Once this happens eject will become a good tool....

Leo :)

[View Quote]

binarybud

Apr 24, 2003, 3:47pm
wow you sure have me confused now what are you replying to? you started out with "NO" no to what?
Leo :)
btw i agree with you on this issue lol

other than i think eject is such a good tool ...:) nothing wrong with ejecting someone that is hassling or annoying others....the gate is a special world with specail rules... that's all people need to learn....:) that and aguing over an eject is in itself a reason for ejecting heheheh can i mom, can i mom, can i mom huh huh huh can i mom? BOOM eject! go pester someone else you mom is not here.

[View Quote] No to what I quoted. Hence why I snipped the rest.

> other than i think eject is such a good tool ...:) nothing wrong with ejecting
someone that is hassling or annoying others....the gate is a special world with
specail rules... that's all people need to learn....:) that and aguing over an
eject is in itself a reason for ejecting heheheh can i mom, can i mom, can i mom
huh huh huh can i mom? BOOM eject! go pester someone else you mom is not
here.

It is, but I was not hasseling, or annoying. And the tourist who got ejected for
"shut up" said it twice or thrice. Hardly anything worth ejection. All I said was
"crap, my world is down" then I was warned not to use crap as it's not G rated, then
I told him it was, then he warned me to to argue with him, then someone (Forgot their
name) was using sexual inneundo, disguising it as town names, (although it's obvious
they weren't real town names as he misspelt them horribly) and after I told the GK
"that's far worse than saying crap" he got NAZI on me from there on in, and after I
said, "breast is G rated as long as it's not sexual in nature" he ejected me.

And there are some things money can't buy...

SW Chris

Hear hear!

Chris

[View Quote] You used mastercard I see.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that morality is not standard across
the country or even the world. The backwater midwest's definitions of
morality are quite different than say, the independant state of
California's.

Chris

[View Quote] I agree, but do you bog down everyone's in interest of those areas that are more
strict? (hell, as far as I'm aware both allow 'crap')

--Bowen--

truetome2

Apr 24, 2003, 4:59pm
For the record, I was not referring to you Bowen about the "Crap issue. That
was in reference to something Wing said and I did not agree that it was a
reason for being ejected. The best thing here to keep up and stay on track
as to what is being said is to read ALL the replies not just the ones you
want to.

As for the ETL's yes we did have one pass away and another has resigned, but
the email addy goes to the new ETL's and is the proper protocol for handling
complaints. If you feel that is not sufficient then write Mountain Myst
<she will kill me for that> hehe sorry hon. :o) But she will handle it if
you feel you have not received proper care.

Reply to TrueToMe2 at my.activeworlds.com

"Quote of the day"

Why do people "think the Grass is always greener on the other side of the
fence"? Any gardener can tell you. The answer is "fertilizer".
And we all know where the best "fertilizer" comes from don't we? So, for
those who DO jump over the fence, don't be surprised if you land up to your
knees in manure.

[View Quote]

stecloud

Apr 24, 2003, 5:22pm
[View Quote] Most young people have no problem with authority - I don't know where you
plucked that info from. Who's generalizing now?

- Ste

alphabit phalpha

Apr 24, 2003, 6:51pm
I have to agree with Stecloud on this one.
I know for a fact that when SOME adults get bored they put on a tourist av
and harrass....lol

[View Quote]

binarybud

Apr 24, 2003, 6:56pm
I suppose i was but i did say MOST and thats just from MY experience.....:) actually MOST is not correct either....just a lot of them do heheheheh maybe its the "vocal minority" heheheh

It's the Least Common Denominator Effect. :) What is appropriate for all
is better than appropriate for some.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  6  |