My rant... (Community)

My rant... // Community

1  2  3  4  5  |

light form

Nov 6, 2003, 9:41pm
Never miss an opportunity to advertise now do we...

LF

weyoun

Nov 6, 2003, 9:45pm
> I'm on a satellite (two-way) connection ...

That's slow!

john

Nov 6, 2003, 9:57pm
The option for univ & world owners to change the univ & world welcome
message colours would be a good idea.. would draw more attention to things
like warnings

~John

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Nov 6, 2003, 9:58pm
Thanks for your considered reply, and it's good to see you taking
time out today to deal with rants. I appreciate you taking the time
to respond.

I hope I didn't sound *too* upset, but hey.. it's a 'rant' thread :-)

If I didn't think this technology was cool or fun or worth spending
time on, I wouldn't feel passionate about it one way or another.
It's too bad we don't often take the time to enumerate the many,
many things you people have done right, but you have and they
are appreciated. Your fans are very loyal as you well know and
I am glad to be one of them (I get that brain implant thing next
month!).

And I do commend AWI for it's SDK, and documentation.
It's great that I can obtain either one right off your website without
any additional paperwork.

My main concern is really that the main developers who create the
SDK applications that people use all the time are able to ensure
ahead of time that their applications are going to work with any
enhancements or changes that are made as your product evolves.

My other concerns have to do with whether AWI listens to the
SDK developers and considers their input when deciding on
new features and that your SDK in fact does change and improve
and evolve.

AW almost certainly has bugs, and so do the Xelagots, and
so does any version of the operating system anyone is going to
run it on. I am not suggesting that AW has any more bugs than
other products or that you do any less to avoid them.

My point is that the people who produce third party apps that
are relied on by a lot of us should have access to anything 'new'
on your end as early as possible so that they have as much chance
as possible to prevent changes you may make in your stuff from
turning into bugs in *their* stuff and affecting the users.

I don't truly know who is in the alpha or beta, but have heard
rumours that Alex was not involved in 'something' that he had
a desire to be involved in, and without knowing any of the details,
this can cause a lot of concern. As said.. many people rely on the
Xelagot, just as many of us rely on other bots, and I am sure
that we are all concerned that everything possible is done to
keep them running smoothly without any surprises.

So while you may choose an adequate group of people to
test your browser and server, I want to be sure that there
is an avenue available to people who produce applications
that work with your technology to test their own stuff, and a
lottery or hand chosen system has the potential to leave
people like that out in the cold.

I would love to help you test your latest efforts, but I would
just as happily take my chances with that on a lottery style or
hand chosen system. I don't have herds of people relying on
anything I've done to date, so I can easily adapt the few things
I have in my own time as AWI sees fit to come out with updates
and releases.

I'm really not comfy though thinking that Andras or Alex or
Magine or some of the other people whose stuff I use everyday
would have to rely on a lottery to be included. I'm not
that concerned with the selection of beta testers being fair
so much as I am concerned with it ensuring coverage of the
most important and widely used bot applications.

Surely you have stats on which bots are most widely used by
people and can ensure you make special efforts to involve their
creators in alphas/betas etc.

You may already do something like that anyway, and my
current worries could be unfounded, but rumour is all I have
to go on.

As I said at the beginning.. I'm not that upset, and I do love
this product. It's just that I see the third party stuff as part of it,
and am looking for some official indication that AWI does too,

Given that you replied to this, I will take that as an indication
that you *are* interested in developers, and that you do indeed
'love us' too.

The AW SDK is a very big part of your product, and I'm sure
you recognize that or you would not have made it. I suppose I
am also concerned that in your efforts to improve the product,
you don't forget that improvements in that part of it pay larger
dividends than say a button to put lightning in your skybox might.

I would be more comfortable knowing that you listen to the
requests of the bot developers (again in proportion to the
popularity of the bots they produce), and make efforts to
accomodate any reasonable requests they might have for
features in the SDK that will allow them to make better bots.

You may have had a history of this in the past, but it is not
that evident anymore if that was the case.

Please have faith that any effort you spend in support of
improved features in the SDK will pay off down the road many
times over in new and improved bots that everyone can use.

I don't envy you all the choices you face and nothing will make
everyone happy, but it's good to see your posts now and again
just to know you're listening. I do truly respect that you still come
in here and post after all this time in the face of criticism and even
unproductive name calling.

If I'm still here in a year bugging you, take comfort in the fact
that if I'm still here you're all doing your job. :-)

[View Quote]

kf

Nov 6, 2003, 10:12pm
Not correct - when done in the right way, it looks not only identical,
but even better (since it goes up higher and has a top). :-)

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Nov 6, 2003, 11:15pm
Not mine! I'm about comparable to cable.

LNH

[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Nov 7, 2003, 12:16am
Exaclty.

-CMM

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 7, 2003, 12:19am
[View Quote] > Exaclty.

I'll admit, it lags my computer a little bit. But I'm using onboard
video, and a reasonably small memory size. You really can't keep
dumbing down your product because you still have users on 400 MHz
systems using 64 mb's of ram, it just won't work anymore.

400 MHz is well beyond dead now.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

captain mad mike

Nov 7, 2003, 12:22am
Or just make the skybox have a client-side option. That way AWI can neglect
changing the scenery of AlphaWorld all they want, the anti-change people
(for lack of a better term) can enjoy the sameness that has been with
AlphaWorld for years now, and everyone will be happy.

-CMM
(PS> I didn't mean to sound rude if I did...)

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Nov 7, 2003, 12:29am
OH MY GOD!!

OK.. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL BOWEN???!?!?

Don't worry Bowen.. I know we've had our differnces, but we're coming to
get you back...

BB.. you with me? This evil (whatever it is) cannot stand unchallenged.
You or I might be next.

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 7, 2003, 12:31am
[View Quote] > OH MY GOD!!

> OK.. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL BOWEN???!?!?
>
> Don't worry Bowen.. I know we've had our differnces, but we're coming to
> get you back...
>
> BB.. you with me? This evil (whatever it is) cannot stand unchallenged.
> You or I might be next.

Oh me? I'm using a 1.2 Gig celeron... I was just saying those are the
minimum requirements it seems for turning on new features.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

brock

Nov 7, 2003, 12:39am
Satellite is proven worst of all of the Broadband Options :P

It goes in this order

BEST > WORST

Cable > DSL > Satellite

--
Brock
AW: 308723

Owner:
IceFlare Networks
IceFlare Hosting Services
Virtual World Broadcasting Network

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 7, 2003, 12:43am
[View Quote] Careful, DSL people will jump all over you for that one.

256 KBps or 5MBps... hmm that's the question I asked myself when I
ordered broadband... and then I went with cable.

Guess which one is Cables downstream. It's roughtly that... and since
I'm the only one in my half of the town that has a computer, I get _all_
the bandwidth.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

brock

Nov 7, 2003, 12:47am
A!!CT Sucks, the reason it failed?

It's ran by a bunch of 13 year olds with half a brain, all supervised by a
40 some year old man with a quarter of a brain.

Bunch of spazzing 13 year olds in administration getting into fights over
the stupidest things and space is limited and all used up and a bunch of
lame people hang out there.... Oh i could go on but i'll stop now.

--
Brock
AW: 308723

sw comit

Nov 7, 2003, 1:46am

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 7, 2003, 2:11am
I actually agree with Brock to some extent. It's not really... AW
material and it really didn't need any mention... as for how it's run I
don't know.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

lady nighthawk

Nov 7, 2003, 2:50am
Sorry, just not true. I use satellite at home and the company I work for has
DSL ... my sat is about 10x faster than their DSL. Pretty dog gone fast
(mine is), but I'm not speaking for every satellite ... I only know mine
rocks! And, it's mobile, it goes where I go, and I go alot ... like the end
of this month I'll be moving at least a couple hundred miles from where I am
now. I install these, and when I get to my destination I'll be set up and
back online within an hour tops. MY satellite rocks ...

LNH

[View Quote]

just in

Nov 7, 2003, 3:02am
There are 3 things that come to mind immediately when thinking about
improvements for AlphaWorld:

1. Since the latest version most of the wait sequences are a shambles. A
lot of them hop in what use to be the middle of them and make them appear
jerky and way too repetative. In addition, none have the new "fly" "fall"
or "jump" sequences.

2. I believe special commands (rotate, move, and light) should be
implemented. This may result in an increase in vandalism, but this can be
resolved with more staff on the GET.

3. New generic objects - ones that can be used generally for multipurpose
building. I would gladly donate the beams I made
(http://www.jtechwebsystems.com/~broadway/freebies.html) plus volunteer to
make more (eg curved panels, walls and windows, cubes, spheres and
hemispheres).

Regards, Justin

sw comit

Nov 7, 2003, 3:21am
And there you have it. If you do anything at least implement an object
submission system.

> 3. New generic objects - ones that can be used generally for multipurpose
> building. I would gladly donate the beams I made
> (http://www.jtechwebsystems.com/~broadway/freebies.html) plus volunteer to
> make more (eg curved panels, walls and windows, cubes, spheres and
> hemispheres).
>
> Regards, Justin

builderz

Nov 7, 2003, 4:04am
Could it be that your company has several employees using the DSL line
at once, saturating its bandwidth while you are the only person using
your satellite connection at home? Something similar happened at my old
school. They had a T1 connection, but since so many students were using
it simultaneously, the "real world" speed was closer to dial-up. Traffic
shaping technology and quality of service priority routing can help in
some cases, though.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] > Sorry, just not true. I use satellite at home and the company I work for has
> DSL ... my sat is about 10x faster than their DSL. Pretty dog gone fast
> (mine is), but I'm not speaking for every satellite ... I only know mine
> rocks! And, it's mobile, it goes where I go, and I go alot ... like the end
> of this month I'll be moving at least a couple hundred miles from where I am
> now. I install these, and when I get to my destination I'll be set up and
> back online within an hour tops. MY satellite rocks ...
>
> LNH

lady nighthawk

Nov 7, 2003, 4:17am
Nope LOL, I'm the Night Auditor (work graveyard, midnight to 6AM), and the
only one workin at the time. Their DSL is about as slow as frozen molasses,
and I use their *fast connection* line LOL. My satellite rocks ... perhaps
I'm just lucky?

LNH

[View Quote]

mrbruce

Nov 7, 2003, 4:35am
Anything that runs of the AW registered browser is AW related, Brock just
needs to grow up and stop harrassing me because we allow kids like himself
in our world. He rants on about kids but forgets he's one himself and hangs
out in a world called awTEEN, I see no TEEN in the name of my world,
therefore its not a world for 13 year olds we have alot of adults as well.
If Brock has so much hate for teens, then he must have a very low self
esteem for himself because we all know he is one and acts like one. It's
funny how no matter what I say here in this forum, even if I say Brock's a
nice guy, he has to come back with some hateful personal reply towards me.
And A!!CT it seems is never allowed to advertise in a AW related news group,
but its OK to advertise any other worlds events, whether its AW world or
not. How can one spam a AW related product on an AW related forum? It's
people like me who help pay the bills at AW and I do not sponge off free
land in AW or AWTeen to make my community. Trust me Brock if you owned AW,
you'd love to have the money I've shelled out on it so far, you have no
idea.
My last word to you Brock is if you think you can do better, put your money
where your mouth is and do it. But I do not think you could afford what I
have or have spent.
MrBruce
[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 7, 2003, 4:44am
[View Quote] Wait for it... wait for it -- Citizenships are payed for. I know you
need to get yourself off now and again with your A!!CT advertising just
like insanity needs to have a newsgroup wide battle... but really your
world does not even compare to the same scale AW does. And since you
just commented on people leeching off free land... what is the point of
your world if nothing other than being ... nothing.

> My last word to you Brock is if you think you can do better, put your money
> where your mouth is and do it. But I do not think you could afford what I
> have or have spent.

Didn't he run AWTeen for a month or two?

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

mrbruce

runs a for 'profit" path and world hosting service, therefore hes spamming
when he advertises his business.
A!!CT world is a prduct of AW.Inc like AW world or any other world owned by
AW, infact the license refers to that A!!CT is infact a piece of software
licensed by AW.Inc. and is owned by AW.Inc Therefore its not spamming.
Heartfall world hosting is not a product of AW nor is it licensed to AW.
True A!!CT is not the size of AW world, but thats because A!!CT is a world
bought from AW.Inc at the price we could afford.
As for Brock running AWTeen....did Brock in fact shell out any money for
AWTeen while he was running it? If not then whats your point? I said for him
to put HIS MONEY where his mouth is and do better than me.
I'm the head of a community, but I put out a lot more than the sum of a
$6.95 a month cit to build what I have. And I can change things in my world
to people's liking quicker than requesting it from AW.INC for AW world or
AWTeen.
MrBruce
[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 7, 2003, 5:57am
[View Quote] I give the hell up, you're more stubborn than myself and insanity
combined. Go bite some cotton or something, I don't know.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

mrbruce

Nov 7, 2003, 6:41am
LOL... Bowen I hate to admit it, but your not such a bad guy after all, I
like your response. It made me laugh my butt.rwx off :D
MrBruce
[View Quote]

elyk

Nov 7, 2003, 7:19am
Good lord Brock.....do you think things through before you say them? I
mean....some people may not agree with how some things are running, but it's
posts like yours that make a pefectly reasonable thread go to hell. Almost
everything you have been posting in the past few days has been an insult to
someone of some sort. I don't like how some committees and/or worlds are
running either, but if I want to complain about it publicly, I'd do it in a
manner that is at least somewhat mature. You're gonna get yourself a foot
in your virtual ass by a bunch of people if you keep insulting at random.
Think things through before you post..... :o(

[View Quote]

weizer

Nov 7, 2003, 4:00pm
Yes I completely agree with Jstone. If the community want some changes then
it's its responsabily to change something. AWI is responsible of the
techinical side of AW, they're not responsible of making the community
alive. They build the browsers, and they're doing fine. Now to all the ones
who think the community's dead : give ideas, get involved. This is what it
takes to make a community alive. Anyway AWI can try anything they can, but
if nobody gets involved, it's useless.

-Weizer
"jstone2004" <j at jlife.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
3faa5a65$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> yeah, not to mention, any of us are free at any time to leave AW, if we do
> not like it, then we are not bound here like slaves... I appreciate all
that
> AWI does for us, so saying they suck is not only a direct insult to them,
> but to the community here as well...

weizer

Nov 7, 2003, 4:17pm
Can you please be a lil more constructive in your comments ? This is
writting a post just for the fun of writting.

-Weizer
"brock" <BrockL at iceflare.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
3fab07dd at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> A!!CT Sucks, the reason it failed?
>
> It's ran by a bunch of 13 year olds with half a brain, all supervised by a
> 40 some year old man with a quarter of a brain.
>
> Bunch of spazzing 13 year olds in administration getting into fights over
> the stupidest things and space is limited and all used up and a bunch of
> lame people hang out there.... Oh i could go on but i'll stop now.
>
> --
> Brock
> AW: 308723

john

Nov 7, 2003, 7:35pm
Surely it would be simple to make a world server that puts AW's default
terrain height down one 0.01 lol

~John

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  |