My rant... (Community)

My rant... // Community

1  2  3  4  5  |

rossyboy a

Nov 5, 2003, 7:44pm
I think that would require an extremely huge terrain file setting all
cells to the right level. Aside from reprogramming the worldserver
that's the only thing I can see (can you see AWI reprogramming the
worldserver?)

[View Quote] > What about a way to "hack" the terrain (for AlphaWorld only) to move
> it down so it would be "level" with the current AlphaWorld ground
> plane/floor? People that want terrain could get it and it wouldn't go
> through or overlap on current buildings.
>
> Builderz
> http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

weizer

Nov 5, 2003, 8:01pm
There are some good points here, thanks for sharing your ideas. Though,
there are two things I don't agree with.

I'm one of those who really cares about the preservation of Alpha World.
Adding new objects and texteures is fine, doing a winter theme, if it was a
tradition, is also fine, but changing things like the GZ, the ground, the
skybox... to me this is not really acceptable. AW was the first virtual
online world. The building that were built back in 1995 should look exactly
the same as they were in 1995. What I mean is that you can ADD things but
you cannot REMOVE things from Alphaworld. Changing the sky is REMOVING the
old one so you change the way the things looked like. Though, things adding
3D axis rotation is OK to me, because you can CHOOSE if you want to change
YOUR objects, and you can still keep the old ones exactly like before : the
change is not obligatory for everyone.

And about the events... I don't think this AWI job. If the community
want some events, it's ITS responsability to organize them. AWI is there to
give you the authorization and help you organize them if you need it.

-Weizer

sw comit

Nov 5, 2003, 8:32pm
> I'm one of those who really cares about the preservation of Alpha
World.
> Adding new objects and texteures is fine, doing a winter theme, if it was
> tradition, is also fine, but changing things like the GZ, the ground, the
> skybox... to me this is not really acceptable. AW was the first virtual
> online world. The building that were built back in 1995 should look
exactly
> the same as they were in 1995. What I mean is that you can ADD things but
> you cannot REMOVE things from Alphaworld. Changing the sky is REMOVING the
> old one so you change the way the things looked like. Though, things
adding
> 3D axis rotation is OK to me, because you can CHOOSE if you want to change
> YOUR objects, and you can still keep the old ones exactly like before :
the
> change is not obligatory for everyone.

What is your opinion on putting these changes to a community vote, Weizer?

rossyboy a

Nov 5, 2003, 8:40pm
moving clouds make more lag. I'm sure many builders would be unhappy
about it.

[View Quote] > What I'd like to see for Alpha ...

> add some moving clouds ..
> put a sun corona in there...
> please, please, please ..put a skybox or sky colors in ..all
> backdrops mess up for me and it really ruins the asthetics of it all
> ..and besides which ..I can only stare at those mountains for so long
> before wanting a change lol
>
> there ya go ...those are the features ..well ..the features I want
> anyway
>
> Ryan

[View Quote]

rossyboy a

Nov 5, 2003, 8:41pm
I think you guys are getting mixed up between the ACTIVEWORLDS feature
vote and the ALPHAWORLD feature vote.

[View Quote] >

> Enzo you keep saying that. You may have requested it, but are you so
> sure that it happened? Surely someone here can verify if this
> happened since it was a universe message.

lara

Nov 5, 2003, 9:24pm
I agree with Weizer. Start messing with background,
sky, light, clouds, etc. in Alphaworld, and you
change the look of the builds. There are many other
ways to keep Alphaworld interesting, without
losing the traditional appearance of such a unique
world in 3D history.

Although I would really be very sorry to see
Alphaworld's GZ changed, I could live with
the outcome of a vote about GZ, IF the vote were
advertised steadily for at least a month in advance.

Lara

_________________________
[View Quote]

weizer

Nov 5, 2003, 10:04pm
Oh well, if most of the people want to remove things from AlphaWorld, then
it's the community choice : it's democracy and there's nothing I can do
about it. Regarding me, I'm fine with what's going on, so if you guys want
some change, then you have to be enough complaning so AWI can do a community
vote.

-Weizer

"sw comit" <swcomit at swcity.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
3fa98874 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> What is your opinion on putting these changes to a community vote, Weizer?

sw comit

Nov 5, 2003, 10:06pm
Yes please do not change the lights at all, because all color matching using
the create color command gets thrown off.

I have an idea though. Why not use a sky box that looks identical to the
mountains now? One reason is because they're less error prone. Similar to
Ryan, those backdrops don't display right for ATI r200 chipset graphic
cards. It would also allow for periodic temporary weather changes like a
cloudy day, which would pretty fun.

[View Quote]

weizer

Nov 5, 2003, 10:09pm
I agree with you that this would be fun, but not nesecary in a world like
AW. Otherwise AW loses all its sens. That's why I think a world like NewAW
is a very good idea : these changes can be put there.. if they finnaly open
it *rolleyes*

-Weizer
"sw comit" <swcomit at swcity.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
3fa99e85 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Yes please do not change the lights at all, because all color matching
using
> the create color command gets thrown off.
>
> I have an idea though. Why not use a sky box that looks identical to the
> mountains now? One reason is because they're less error prone. Similar
> Ryan, those backdrops don't display right for ATI r200 chipset graphic
> cards. It would also allow for periodic temporary weather changes like a
> cloudy day, which would pretty fun.

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 5, 2003, 10:15pm
[View Quote] > I just want to say THANKYOU ENZO for pointing out that terrain is
> slightly higer than ground.rwx. Some people have been crying out for
> terrin in AlphaWorld for a while, but can't they see what problems it
> caused in AWTeen? Pre-terrain floors overlap with the terrain.

Hey wait a second, didn't a bunch of us (me included) get together to
make a bot to fix that problem. Oh wait, we did -- because we realized
it was a problem back in the 3.3 beta days so we had to fix it... and
fix it we did. KAH created a hack on my bot designed to fix that very
problem.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

sw comit

Nov 5, 2003, 10:17pm
Why not? AW use to benefit from periodic environment change. They would
occasionally change the background, make it night, stuff like that, but not
for very long and it'd go back to normal. I don't recall any angry mobs
lol, but just a pleasant change for awhile. A cloudy day would be no
different. Since the price hikes they haven't done any of that anymore, not
even the traditional winter theme =(

[View Quote]

sw comit

Nov 5, 2003, 10:19pm
AW Uni has a whole would benefit better by editting the browser so people
could safetly use a terrain, instead of using bots...

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 5, 2003, 10:20pm
[View Quote] > I agree with you that this would be fun, but not nesecary in a world like
> AW. Otherwise AW loses all its sens. That's why I think a world like NewAW
> is a very good idea : these changes can be put there.. if they finnaly open
> it *rolleyes*

And there we have it. Making the current backdrop into a skybox doesn't
destroy anything, it's expanding it. You may think it's like adding a
Jet engine to the first plane, but it's more like adding an extra fuel
tank to plane that requires long air time.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 5, 2003, 10:21pm
[View Quote] > AW Uni has a whole would benefit better by editting the browser so people
> could safetly use a terrain, instead of using bots...

I know, but saying the terrain is slightly higher is no excuse for not
enabling it.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

.duo.

Nov 5, 2003, 10:24pm
Well... you could easily move the builds up the proper amount using a bot.

--
-.Duo. (342836)

ferruccio

Nov 5, 2003, 10:57pm
I *really* like the idea of AWI putting more attention into AW. but the
terrain... I've seen AWTeen, and not enough people know how to skillfully
use the terrain. you would be seeing terrain spikes here and there. But
other than that, AW needs to be nurtured or else it just will just keep
deteriorating. Speaking of deteriorating, looks like AWI made a move to
remove the chess and checkers from the GZ.

lady nighthawk

Nov 5, 2003, 11:00pm
One thing I find extremely hard to get info or help on is object & avatar
creation. Not that there aren't plenty of freebies, and many more to be
bought, but I for one would like to learn how to make objects and avs ...
especially for my own world ... and perhaps when I'm good enough, to sell.
I've gotten scattered help here and there and am extremely thankful for
that. I would love to see *official object &/or avatar creation* classes in
AW. Old webpages and worlds that use to have classes just aren't up to date
enough to follow. We need live people with live advice!

Yes there are *universities* and those gracious enough to donate their time
to helping others, but it appears to me to be no dedicated world/classes
where I can go to learn what I'd like to learn. I myself am a teacher in my
2D chats ... if I could learn here in 3D I would be happy to volunteer to
help others. Perhaps you could start a Teaching world and recruit some who
would dedicate themselves to helping others learn to model objects & avs?

Thanks...

Lady NightHawk (Aeon)

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Nov 5, 2003, 11:02pm

> Main problem with AWI no communication link between staff and customers.

Last Friday I wrote an email to support at AW with a fairly involved
technical
question, and received a fully satisfactory reply Monday morning.

That's actually pretty darn good considering the nature of my inquiry.

lady nighthawk

Nov 5, 2003, 11:12pm
Perhaps leave aw as it is for those who like it, and create a sister world
like it for those that want the new features? Just a suggestion LOL.

LNH

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Nov 5, 2003, 11:16pm
I remember it LOL. I never filled it out ... didn't seem to apply to me for
one. Also, I can attest that most do not read the IO messages. And, the
warnings to not click web urls may also have played a factor in the lack of
response. Perhaps do the IO message AND post here in the NGs? I would far
more likely reply here than to IO tho.

LNH

[View Quote]

brock

Nov 6, 2003, 12:17am
GO COMIT!
Tell them what it's about

AWI Sucks, Bad Managment as far as i'm concearned, DO something with your
community, put some life in it, get involved, sure you can lose touch of
your company when it gets big, but uh sorry to mention it to you, AW is
small. You need to get something new, some more life into it somehow AW just
isnt cutting it anymore. I come, i build, i leave. Repeat process.

--
Brock
AW: 308723

Owner:
IceFlare Starbeam Network
Provider of fine AW Services
- IceFlare Hosting
- Virtual World Broadcasting Network

brock

Nov 6, 2003, 12:23am
Well first of all, all those people with crappy computers are going to have
to upgrade sooner or later, so remove them from your thoughts, revamp AW,
make it wicked awesome.

For AW world itself, yes use a skybox, use moving clouds, BUILD a new gz,
and get AW world up to speed, a new gz would be nice instead of the crappy
one where a bunch of old people talk at. A new one showing off AW's power.

poseidon

Nov 6, 2003, 12:32am
It's comments like this that dont help the current situation of the
community. Period. Was some of the staff of AWI not with everyone as the new
3d homepage opened? Has ENZO not been taking the time to respond to our
posts as of late? Im not sure what more you expect.... daily breakfast and
coffee with the staff? 0.o

Poseidon

[View Quote]

builderz

Nov 6, 2003, 1:12am
Well, I remember that there were rumors going around that NewAW was
using some sort of special world server or had plug-in support...so
anything is possible.

If you think about it, AlphaWorld's property database is over 1 GB in
size. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to change a line or two of code in
the world server software to move the terrain to the proper place. The
problem would be the time needed to make the changes to the property
data. I think it takes a large chunk of time to do a simple propdump.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] > I think that would require an extremely huge terrain file setting all
> cells to the right level. Aside from reprogramming the worldserver
> that's the only thing I can see (can you see AWI reprogramming the
> worldserver?)

ferruccio

Nov 6, 2003, 1:21am
It is posts like this that open the eyes of a lot of people, it also
addresses the issues that are going on, and what could be fixed. This type
of post *does* help the community. Regarding your comment on daily
breakfast with coffee, the community in Alphaworld used to be thriving, then
the prices increased 350% in one day. My brother is a financial planner,
want to know his comment on that move? "Holy sh*t"
It is perfectly normal for us to expect more if we are paying 350% the
price that we used to pay for AW, and are getting less. (Not feature-wise,
but community-wise)

I don't know what you meant, Rick, on your comment "was never our
intention to create community," because on the ActiveWorlds home page it
states "The Active Worlds Universe is a *community* of hundreds of thousands
of users."

brock

Nov 6, 2003, 2:10am
Just now starting to respond....well duh, why else would i bring this up
now, when he's actually here to answer it.

--
Brock
AW: 308723

poseidon

Nov 6, 2003, 3:28am
I wasn't refering to the actual rant by Comit :) In fact, I enjoyed the rant
quite a bit. I was refering to Brock's comment. Saying things like "AWI
Sucks, Bad management..." isn't helpful to the community.

Poseidon

[View Quote]

mrbruce

Nov 6, 2003, 4:12am
Seems to me that A!!CT world tried to be the new Alpha world (the one that
AW would not create), trouble is A!!CT's land mass is limited, but we gave
the AW community everything they asked of for Alpha World, but very few were
willing to take advantage of it, because it's privately owned. By the way
A!!CT world also has the largest object path available in all of AW. Try
visiting it sometime and look around and see what we've done with it.
MrBruce
[View Quote]

sw comit

Nov 6, 2003, 5:27am
That'd be quite expensive I think...according to AW Mapper, the database
when uncompressed is 174 GB. It compresses to about 2 GB. I'm not sure
what the server use, compressed or uncompressed...

[View Quote]

codewarrior

Nov 6, 2003, 10:31am
Coudln't they just move the GZ to a new location?

Leave the historical builds as is, and just have the
new entry be somewhere else.

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  |