Someone REALLY lost the plot (General Discussion)

Someone REALLY lost the plot // General Discussion

Okay I have no idea who did this but someone really really REALLY lost the
plot BIG TIME with this welcome message. Its ridiculous, no offence to
whoever did it but its absolutely stupidity.

Are you trying to loose the majority of the customer base? You have no way
of even checking if someone has permission, this does nothing but makes
everyone run, Im trying my best to develop AWTeen, idiotic messages like
this completely wreck my efforts.

Will someone please find whoever wrote this, tie them to a chair and learn
what an initial disclaimer is for and WHAT IN GODS NAME IS GOOD FOR
BUSINESS!!!

Immigration Officer: Welcome to Active Worlds. Most of the content in Active
Worlds is user generated and may not be suitable for person's under the age
of 18, parent's permission MUST be obtained before visiting Active Worlds.
We welcome you to the AWGateway : )

FIX IT!!!

- Mark
Why am I surrounded by fools? Yes no doubt this phrase was possibly put up
by a good friend in AWC, sorry if it is you will just have to take the flack
this time :(

john

May 2, 2003, 4:28pm
Don't ya mean slack?

I totally agree :-S

[View Quote]

rossyboy

May 2, 2003, 6:16pm
Yes that welcome message will definately make a lot of parents PARANOID.
It's not as bad as all that.

AWI waste their time on this when there are so many other little things
they could do to help the community.

I can't remember them right now, but they're there... somewhere...

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote this
(news:3eb2a890 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 02 May
2003:

> Okay I have no idea who did this but someone really really REALLY lost
> the plot BIG TIME with this welcome message. Its ridiculous, no
> offence to whoever did it but its absolutely stupidity.
>
> Are you trying to loose the majority of the customer base? You have no
> way of even checking if someone has permission, this does nothing but
> makes everyone run, Im trying my best to develop AWTeen, idiotic
> messages like this completely wreck my efforts.
>
> Will someone please find whoever wrote this, tie them to a chair and
> learn what an initial disclaimer is for and WHAT IN GODS NAME IS GOOD
> FOR BUSINESS!!!
>
> Immigration Officer: Welcome to Active Worlds. Most of the content in
> Active Worlds is user generated and may not be suitable for person's
> under the age of 18, parent's permission MUST be obtained before
> visiting Active Worlds. We welcome you to the AWGateway : )
>
> FIX IT!!!
>
> - Mark
> Why am I surrounded by fools? Yes no doubt this phrase was possibly
> put up by a good friend in AWC, sorry if it is you will just have to
> take the flack this time :(

john

May 2, 2003, 6:28pm
Its like saying "dont ever go on the internet because you might encounter
conetent you do not wish to see"

Rather self-explanatory that not everything can be regulated.. lol!

[View Quote]

e n z o

May 2, 2003, 6:29pm
Oh yeah, there were a lot of other little things we could do in the 10
seconds it takes to change a World Option... I forget what they were too...

emm, whats so wrong about it?
you talking about the universal one right?

ya, like remeber what it was you could have done instead of changing the
message.

Rossy is wrong in this case, its not a matter of time E N Z O, its the
matter of kids who will see this and turn straight around, those who do ask
their parents will just be told no, its the way things are.

shred

May 2, 2003, 7:29pm
This is so idiotic that it's almost laughable.

Allow me to elaborate:

* Most of AW's user base is made up of youth.
* Youth usually don't like places that play big-brother.
* Upon seeing that message, most youth would turn away without looking back.
* This is not AOL.

The decision to use that particular welcome message was no doubt meant to assuage those very few paranoid parents who think that their children can't fend for themselves on the Internet. Most sensible parents, however, have enough faith in their skill as a parent to trust their kids online without constant supervision. If you can't trust your kid on something as inane as the Internet, then how do you expect them to cope with the real world once mommy isn't there to guide them?

Regardless of the message being sent, this disclaimer would be more well-suited in the EULA (which I'm pretty sure it's in there, anyway...). So if it's legal trouble that AWI is trying to avoid, then they're either going about it exactly the wrong way or being overly redundant. Hardly surprising.

I doubt this statement - well, at least I think you're
wrong if you refer to the age of the body.

From the people I met ages seem to cover the full range
between about 6 and about 80 in a quite flat curve.

[View Quote]

shred

May 2, 2003, 7:41pm
I can only say what I have observed. In any case, a large portion of the AW userbase *IS* irrefutably youth. Whether or not this group makes up the majority of the population really isn't crucial when you consider how small our community is. Do you really think we can afford to lose a major portion of our population?

WOULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH THE WELCOME MESSAGE! >_<
please :)
-SWE

Read the damned post!

Immigration Officer: Welcome to Active Worlds. Most of the content in
Active Worlds is user generated and may not be suitable for person's under
the age of 18, parent's permission MUST be obtained before visiting
ActiveWorlds.
We welcome you to the AWGateway : )

[View Quote]

imagine

May 2, 2003, 7:58pm
This is what is wrong with the welcome message:

"Most of the content in
Active Worlds is user generated and may not be suitable for person's under
the age of 18"

Excuse me? It is saying that in MOST of the private worlds, the world owners
are perverts :P Or at least that's what it implies.

As a world owner, I take offence to it.

Imagine

[View Quote]

john

May 2, 2003, 8:00pm
Lol!

Maybe it should be clear that it means SOME and that it means privately
owned.

Plus the same could apply to all of the internet.

[View Quote]

ryan

May 2, 2003, 8:06pm
From the 3.4 registration window:

"To begin your free Active Worlds trial, please fill out all the fields in
this window and press OK. At the end of your one week free trial, and every
month after that, your credit card will automatically be charged $6.95 until
you cancel your subscription. To avoid being charged you MUST cancel your
subscription at www.activeworlds.com before the one week trial period is
over. If you do not have a credit card please see
www.activeworlds.com/subscribe. Some content in Active Worlds may not be
suitable for children under the age of 18. If you are a minor, your
parent(s) or guardian(s) must complete the registration process, in which
case they will assume full responsibility for all obligations under this
Agreement. By clicking the "OK" button and providing us with a credit card
number, you represent that you are an adult and are either accepting this
Agreement on behalf of yourself or your child. Parents or guardians are
encouraged to set an appropriate browser rating by clicking on "Options",
"Settings" and "General". This rating system in NO WAY guarantees that
minors will not be subjected to inappropriate content. Parents or guardians
must use their discretion in deciding whether or not to permit their
children the use of this program.Your credit card information is encrypted
before transmission."

What in the universe prompted this? Why is ActiveWorlds, Inc. posting
warnings all over the place in the form of signs, immigration officer
messages, and registration dialogs? Stay tuned, story at 10.

Ryan

Immigration Officer: Welcome to the AWGate. Much of the content in Active
Worlds is user generated & may not be appropriate for all users. Setting
your browser rating level can improve your enjoyment of AW by reducing your
exposure to offensive content. Enjoy your stay :)

Much more apropriate.

But wouldent it be even more apropriate to bring it up on a MSGBOX the first
time the browser is run? and them have to click OK to say they have
permission or are 16+

wierd, for some reason i missed that lol. and not very smart thing to put on
the welcome message, maybe on the installation thou.

[View Quote]

john

May 2, 2003, 9:03pm
Wouldnt it be better:

Msgbox "Like most of the internet you can experience some offensive content
here, please be aware that in AWI-owned worlds, we do our best to moderate
this.", vbyesno + vbexclamation

LOL

[View Quote]

shred

May 2, 2003, 9:20pm
I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. AWI saw that we were offended by the welcome message, and so they changed it to something we weren't. It looks like a good compromise to me; I wouldn't ask for anything more.

[View Quote]

wing

May 2, 2003, 10:51pm
AW isn't done in VB. VB is like fingerpainting compared to this stuff. For
some reason, I remember Roland saying that it's 90% C and like 10% Delphi at
one point.

[View Quote]

defiance

May 3, 2003, 3:06am
It's Visual C++

[View Quote]

elyk

May 3, 2003, 4:37am
Yet AGAIN....bad decision making.......almost record breaking!!!!

[View Quote]

elyk

May 3, 2003, 4:40am
In fear that the children might stumble into the CY-Award winning, yet
pervertely disturbing DS Worlds.....*rolls eyes*

[View Quote] I fear all that defiles my mind with the scourge of perverse actions.

Nope, I like this "mix", we need them all :)

[View Quote]

elyk

May 3, 2003, 6:00am
lol
[View Quote]

john

May 3, 2003, 7:05am
R u 2 dumb or summit? I know that

I did it in VB code for a laugth :-D

[View Quote]

lady barbara

May 3, 2003, 7:15am
Someone really did lose the plot here!

I agree that the message needed to be changed, but I'm still a bit confused.
Please note the following excerpt:

over."
have to re-install the program all over again!

I find this to be confusing and also even discouraging membership! I have
several people coming into Amberlin as Tourists and I consider as regulars.
For one reason or another, they are unable to become a citizen. For me,
they are as valid a member of AW Community as "Citizens" are. Hopefully,
one day, they may be able to become a cit, but until then they are as much a
contributing member of the AW community as some other citizens are. I've
already seen such indications in Amberlin that tourists can be invaluable
members of Amberlin's community and will be treated as such.

One Week Trial Period????

I've just renewed my Tourist Fee and have finally begun to have friends from
other chat programs start to come in and explore. Now this? One Week Trial
Period! Whoever came up with that idea??

I'm finally starting to see a bridge being started at last between
ActiveWorlds and other universes (chat programs), such as Manor and Palace
(both 2D). We're starting to find that they can and hopefully will
compliment one another. I really do want to encourage this communication
between these different chat universes (programs). I've been in both, and
have invested a great deal of time in these programs. I think they both
have their pros and cons; both have something worthwhile to offer.

Regards,
Lady Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbara Eisner

count dracula

May 3, 2003, 7:25am
Sunds like part of this pre-emtive hysteria going on "over ther". Since
users has the capability of typing and most likely know others than G-rated
words, they become a threat to a G-rated enviroment. Even if the users are
using only G-rated words it is safer to eject him/her before he/she might
say something "bad" ( like Bowen in gate). A good reason for banning people
is also if they use words that you do not understand; like foreign foods
might be some cover up antrax anyway) , chicken breasts ( might offend
vegetarians) etc.

Yes, better warn everyone. Dont trust anyone. The potential evilness is
lurking everywhere. "God bless OUR country ( screw the others) and long live
paranoia!

Drac
strike rapier <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> kirjoitti
viestissä:3eb2a890 at server1.Activeworlds.com...