What should be "R" and what should be "X"? (Community)

What should be "R" and what should be "X"? // Community

1  2  |

princess kiki

Apr 29, 2003, 9:58pm
Inquiring minds want to know........

wing

Apr 29, 2003, 10:41pm
IMHO....

G = AWGate - No other world has any right to have this rating.
PG = Worlds targetted at younger people, where foul language is tolerated to
some extent
R = Worlds targetted at adults, where foul language is tolerated.
X = Sexually themed worlds, excessively violent or disturbing worlds such as
those depicting a post apocalyptic environment. Note that these can appear
to some extent in an R-rated world, but making it the central theme bumps it
up that last notch. This rating is also appropriate for ungoverned
free-for-all worlds where the owner doesn't control any of the content.

[View Quote]

defiance

Apr 29, 2003, 10:45pm
[View Quote] ROFL

carlbanks

Apr 29, 2003, 11:25pm
I've noticed many worlds which are 21 and over but the owners wish to be pg
13 but R and X are for 18 and 21.

[View Quote]

brock

Apr 30, 2003, 12:12am
So true, yet AWTeen keeps it =\

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader
[View Quote]

goddess innie

Apr 30, 2003, 1:29am
Actually, R is for 18 and over......X is for 21 and over, or those worlds
with pornographic material or attitudes.

Think about movie ratings, and apply those to these ratings.

[View Quote]

percipient

Apr 30, 2003, 2:47am
American ratings, right? Here in Canada movie ratings are quite different. R
can run into what would be NC-17 in the states. "The Story of Us" which was
R in the states, by the rules there I understand, was only PG in Canada.

Apr 30, 2003, 3:03am
[View Quote] NC-17 is sort of a ... lesser porn than X.

--Bowen--

wing

Apr 30, 2003, 8:33am
If you're going to use movie ratings - X would require either an ID or a
full beard to get in, while R only requires friends that work at the
theater.

[View Quote]

the joker ss

Apr 30, 2003, 8:48am
we have no ratings here , i only knwo that some movies at theathre you have
to be 16 , like horror movies , thats about it .

british way is better, you have U, then PG then 12 then 15 then 18.
12 has mild swearing, no sex scenes, but they might be "implied"
15 is either quite violant, scary, and usually has some tits
18 can be whatever

-SWE

[View Quote] Well, I guess I could've gotten into X when I was 13.

Egh Brock, Ste... does this mean we cant do Survivor events any more? Rats!

Damned right :D

Gotta love those implied sex scenes!

e n z o

Apr 30, 2003, 5:10pm
You mean "artsy porn"?

stecloud

Apr 30, 2003, 5:58pm
Yeah, like we ever COULD do Survivor :)

no, he's still refering to all the way hardcore! just, not showing as much.

ROFLMAO! true Ste!

For everyone else.... long story :)

[View Quote] Yup, that's basically what it is. But Enzo is right, kind of.

--Bowen--

goddess innie

Apr 30, 2003, 8:40pm
Active Worlds supports the concept of World Ratings. This is a mechanism
that allows world owners to give an indication to their visitors of the type
of content they can expect to encounter in their world. There are four
rating levels available:
a.. G - This world is suitable for all ages; children are welcome.
b.. PG - This world is generally suitable for all ages; however, parents
may want to supervise young children while visiting this world. Parental
guidance is advised.
c.. PG-13 - This world is generally unsuitable for young children, below
the age of 13. Parental guidance is strongly advised.
d.. R - This world is generally unsuitable for children. Adult topics may
be presented and discussed. In addition, material may be present that some
adults may find objectionable.
e.. X - This is an adults-only world which may contain material of a
pornographic or other potentially offensive nature.
This is from the help file for 3.4

Nude avatars, without moving parts, and no one being pornographic with it
qualifies as R, Kiki.
[View Quote]

goddess innie

Apr 30, 2003, 8:41pm
From AW's words, when asked, R is 18 and above, X is 21 and above.

[View Quote]

e n z o

May 1, 2003, 1:07pm
Actually the limit on the US movie rating system; which we thought was the
easiest to emulate (yes, we know there are no ratings in a lot of countries)
is :

G General Audiences. All ages admitted.
PG Parental Guidance Suggested. Some material may not be suitable for
children.
PG-13 Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate
for children under 13.
R Restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult
guardian.
NC-17 No one 17 and under admitted.

The "NC17" used to be "X" and was changed so that the stigma of the "X"
could be removed. "XXX" is even more flagrant.

We have noticed that many of the worlds or websites attached to the worlds
ask for an age to be stated in the world. If these worlds or pages says 18
or 21 is the minimum then by definition the world rating should be "X".
World owners should pay strict attention to these ratings as they are the
ones responsible for content and possibly even the actions of visitors.

ryan

May 1, 2003, 11:25pm
I like the ESRB's ratings...http://esrb.org/esrbratings_guide.asp...would be
fun to have the content discriptors for worlds too hehehehe

*imagines a world rated EC (early childhood)* :)

Ryan

[View Quote]

elyk

May 2, 2003, 12:11am
I think that the main worlds that should be worried about are the DS Worlds.
(i.e DSEden, DSHaven) DSEden didn't even have the "R" icon up until I asked
them about it and I found disgusting pictures of pornographic torture in
DSHaven....Why they won CY's is beyond me....

[View Quote]

goddess innie

May 2, 2003, 12:12am
I completely agree. I like that rating much better. No questions when it
comes to those!

[View Quote]

goddess innie

May 2, 2003, 12:12am
and, EC would be the Gate only, right?

[View Quote]

ryan

May 2, 2003, 9:14am
yep yep

:) Ryan

"ryan" <ryan_jacob at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3eb1c918$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I like the ESRB's
> ratings...http://esrb.org/esrbratings_guide.asp...would be fun to have
> the content discriptors for worlds too hehehehe
>
> *imagines a world rated EC (early childhood)* :)

I don't like them too much. The ESRB rates too strictly, personally I
prefer the ELSPA (European counterpart of the ESRB) ratings, they're simply
age based, and IMHO they rate more intelligently.

KAH

e n z o

May 2, 2003, 4:01pm
We didn't want to join or pay. For a lot of people the US has been visible
and understanable for quite some time.

artsy porn, no such thing, its just under cover porn really.