foxmccloud // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  |

If a greeterbot is alone does it still greet?

Feb 21, 2002, 7:33pm
Try to read the date of a post before replying, that post is 3 years, 5 months and 14 days old.

Fox Mc Cloud

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> a écrit dans le message news: 3c753b19 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Actually, a greeterbot uses the aw_avatar_add stuff dont it :P so it only
> greets on that server command. To recieve that server command someone must
> be there, so it must be heard to be greeting.
>
> - SR
> *Sayer of many interesting things*

SDK 3.0 and Borland C++Builder 5

Apr 7, 2000, 3:11pm
I use Borland C++ 5.0 (not builder :o) ) and had this problem with the
..lib file downloaded there too, cause it's a VC++ .lib file (if I remember
well) which is in a different format from borland's... I downloaded another
..lib file, made for Borland, somewhere in a link the SDK forum... but it
was the 2.2 version... Besides I'd like to know how to rebuild it
yourself...
since someone has had to have done it for the 2.2 ver (thanks very much
by the way, that saved me a lot of time !) there must be a way to do so
from the standard files you download ... but I really don't know how :o(

FoxMcCloud

john viper a écrit dans le message <38ed291b$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>...
>I got to thinking that I oughta test it to see if it is a 3.0 bug or an
>overall SDK bug.
>
>I downloaded the old 2.2 SDK, recompiled it, and I get the same message,
>therefore it is the SDK overall. Are there any aw SDKs avilable to us
>Borland programmers?
>
>_________________________
>John Viper
>- -
>Go to http://www.getpaid4.com/cgi-bin/emailpanel.cgi?userid=176406 to
>receive FREE newsletters via email!
>Go to http://www.getpaid4.com?ticklejw to make $$$ using YOUR OWN computer
>and sigining subscribers in YOUR OWN emails!
[View Quote]

Could anyone teach me?

Apr 13, 2001, 9:01pm
You're not going to learn anything if you don't invest into it...
If you don't buy books, you'll probably get nowhere
I started programming in Borland C++ when I was 13, I just bought at least 5 books and read them... I wouldn't have learnt the
language if I hadn't... books are the best way to go, along with a lot of practice... There are probably other ways, but you won't
learn as fast...

Fox Mc Cloud

"s p a r k" <crazyglue3 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3ad6802b at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> SOunds good, but this is the 60 day trail, and I don't even have a Job!
> (sux being 14) :)

[View Quote]

First Bot, help please

Oct 17, 2001, 4:05pm
As far as i know, you can't pass as an argument to a function, a method that comes from a class. it has to be a straight C-style
function that's not embedded in a class.
if you have to have it in a class, you could use the function just as a wrapper to your class method if the class is global, like in

void event_avatar_add()
{
Avatars.Add();
}

"dkell" <naimadk at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3bcdc206$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering how you implement event handlers in Visual C++ for the AW SDK.
>
> I know hold to do it with standard C since you can just call
> aw_event_set(event, 'function name'). But in C++ I get
> the error message :
>
> error C2664: 'aw_event_set' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'void (void)'
> to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)'
>
> I just don't really know where to put the handling function (eg in the same
> class with public privledges, can i put it in and different class?) and how
> to refer to it.
>
> I'd really appreacite some help,
> thankyou,
> damian

Another Non-SDK Related VB Question

Nov 4, 2001, 1:53pm
I don't know VB at all, but I've looked up the API calls you need on MSDN
First you need to do an EnumWindows -> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q183/0/09.ASP
The EnumWindows function should be OK as I guess the window you want is a top-level window, else you should use EnumChildWindows...
So in the EnumWinProc function in their example, you don't need to go farther than ' see the Windows Class and Title for
each top level Window , and you can just compare your window title with WinTitle. if it's the right one, you can use the
SetFocus function (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/keybinpt_8yb7.asp) on its window handle,
then use the SendInput function (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/keybinpt_7id0.asp) to send
the Enter Key, then return False for the enumeration to stop.

Fox Mc Cloud

Another Non-SDK Related VB Question

Nov 5, 2001, 12:26am
lol, don't worry i already knew how to do all that... I just looked up the words on msdn and gave you the links :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"lanezeri" <rlipe at degtur.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3be575c7 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Wow.. you really did a lot of searching for me.. I thank you much but I just
> "half-assed" my way around it. If you care to know how, it's simple:
>
> Loops use too much RAM so I used a timer.. took no time to name anything
> either.
>
> Private Sub Form_Load()
> Timer1.Interval = 1000
> Timer1.Enabled = True
> Me.Hide
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
> On Error GoTo Hell:
> Interaction.AppActivate "EnterNet 300"
> SendKeys "{ENTER}"
> SendKeys "{ENTER}"
> Hell:
> Exit Sub
> End Sub

PHP SDK

Nov 21, 2001, 1:49am
AW isn't free :P

Fox Mc Rant

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3bfaa042$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> read the above response to joeman and yes it is free.. like I said.. I
don't
> use the things that aren't ;)

PHP SDK

Nov 21, 2001, 2:34am
Some things are worth paying for...

Fox Mc Cloud

SDK for PocketPC

Dec 8, 2001, 8:14am
lol, it's not about finding it... if noone has done it before, you'll just have to do it yourself :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"thetraveler" <Trav at threeeyedfrog.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c11b1a4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> DUDE! THAT WOULD BE SOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOL if u find an sdk for pocket pc
> email me right away! Trav at threeeyedfrog.com

vb menus

Dec 9, 2001, 2:14am
What do you need that for?
Eye candy doesn't make a program more usable :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"the derek" <imthederek at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c12e121 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> ok let me rephrase that is there a FREE WAY lol this thing costs 200 bucks

dlephi..no sorry

Dec 17, 2001, 4:53pm
Where did you take your ssgotenian 101 lesson? I'm interested.

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1d3b79$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hmm.. I think he's trying to say:
>
> "I didn't finish my message before. I'm not going to learn how to program
> even though it would be cool to have a bot."
>
> *and he wants to have different versions apparently and wants fan mail if
> his bot becomes popular*
>
> "I've decided to stick to web design because there is more there that I want
> to do. Like Star Wars and Dragon Ball Z sites, maybe even a zoids site :).
> So if you think this is a bad idea tell me, let me hear your comments."
>
> Hope that helps you Ananas or anyone else that couldn't understand it.
>
> --Bowen--

Visual Basic SDK question

Jan 10, 2002, 9:37pm
I knew VB syntax was weird, but not THAT much lol

Fox Mc Cloud

"baron" <pk39srt at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3e229e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> There are 3 ways to call AwCreate in VB (applies to all functions)
>
> Dim rc As Long
> rc = sdk.AwCreate(UnivHost, UnivPort)
> If rc Then MsgBox "Unable to create a bot (reason " & rc & ")"
>
> or
>
> sdk.AwCreate UnivHost, UnivPort
>
> or
>
> Call sdk.AwCreate(UnivHost, UnivPort)

Help getting started

Jan 11, 2002, 9:41pm
> Borland is free too :). The command compiler that is. It works just as
> good as the payed for version.
>
> --Bowen--

And anyway there's nothing as fun as win32 api-only interface design :D

Fox Mc Cloud

Help getting started

Jan 12, 2002, 3:00pm
"trekkerx" <zac at commatron.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3fdf48 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I personaly favor MS VC++, mainly because of its supirorty in the Windows
> compilers. and the MFC Wizard, It has a bunch of little things that make it

Not saying that MSVC++ sucks, but saying that it's superior to any other windows compiler is a bit too much :P
It is quite well known that Borland C++'s compiler has better performance and compiles faster...

Fox Mc Cloud

sendkeys function.

Jan 19, 2002, 10:58pm
Just Message the window with WM_KEYDOWNs and WM_KEYUPs :)

By the way you should explain what language you're using, when you post such a message, although we all guessed it was VB

Fox Mc Cloud

"gamer" <robbie at oriox.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c45ea3f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hey all, I'm using the Shell and SendKeys functions to send keys to the AW
> Browser, right now my knowledge of the Sendkeys function goes as far as:
>
> SendKeys "Hello AW! {enter}"
>
> How do I simulate pressing and holding a key for X number of seconds?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Gamer

AwCreate

Jan 27, 2002, 6:45pm
#include <iostream.h>
char a[]={22,6,-85,72,-7,21,-17,-69,65,-65,76,3,5,-84,
79,-9,-70,84,-11,4,-8,-69,84,-5,-79,87,-22,18,1,-15,
-57,-12,68,11,-1,-71,77,-84,89,-10,6,-54};
void main(){for(char i=89,j=0;a[j-2]!=-54;i+=a[j++])cout<<i;}

"baron" <pk39srt at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c525d5e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Option Explicit
>
> Dim Reply as String
> ' boran declared globally by swe
>
> If boran = "Baron" then
> Reply = "hehe noone actually, I wrote it from scratch so" _
> & " that those starting with VB bots could have something" _
> & " to start with, if they bothered checking past posts" _
> & " that is. Nothing like a heavily commented example :)" _
> & " For those interested, original post ID news:3a4dc8e5 at server1.Activeworlds.com "
> Else
> Reply = "wth is a boran?"
> Exit Sub
> End If

AwCreate

Jan 27, 2002, 8:23pm
"swe" <m_swehli at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c54752e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> so what does that mean anyway?
Just compile it and run it :P

Fox Mc Cloud

AwCreate

Jan 27, 2002, 8:48pm
The time spent writing a program instead of a simple, one-line answer :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"baron" <pk39srt at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c548206$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Um cute but I don't get it...what wasted time are you talking about?

AwCreate

Jan 27, 2002, 8:59pm
Exactly :) along with a bit of irony as it took me a good half hour to get the numbers straight..... lol

Fox Mc Cloud

"baron" <pk39srt at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c548558 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> It didn't take more than one minute, hardly my definition of "wasted time". In fact it was a poor attempt of programming humor,
much
> like yours I guess :)

[View Quote]

Wishlist Bot Commands

Feb 26, 2002, 5:18pm
That's exactly his point, he's saying it would be nice to be able to make special menu items appear in the right click menus of the users of your world, through the SDK
I must say I can't see that happen.

Fox Mc Cloud

"dion" <GovDion at subdimension.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c7b8fd4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> right click isn't an SDK command... object selection is but i have that
> turned off in my world, hehe.

Wishlist Bot Commands

Feb 27, 2002, 6:55am
nice idea. And custom avatars aren't even needed, just a custom avatars.dat

Fox Mc Cloud

"grimble" <grimble2000 at btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c7c4a54 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Maybe I am not understanding what you mean. I mean have sequences 0 to 5
> (for example) as weapon select on ALL player avatars in the world. I am
> assuming you're having custom avatars from what you said earlier (although I
> may be reading between the lines too much).
>
> Grims

BOT HOST

Mar 5, 2001, 3:29pm
I pay less than 20$/month and have a stable 10Mbps at any time... ;)

Fox Mc Cloud :oP

"nova" <n at n.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3aa38c07$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Well dsl is available in so many difrent types includeing one type called
> vdsl wich can give you up to 56 megs a sec dls and uploads.
> Also with new cheap and free providers comeing out like winfire curently
> offers in alot of areas dsl will fast become the better value winfire has a
> full pay service that cost 34.95 permonth i pay 39.95 a month for my cable
> and its avrage speed is below dsl ive hit 1.5 and even 2 meg a sec dls but
> it never stays there for long normal is 350 to 550 k and they blocked my
> port 80 and 2.
> So cable is becomeing less of a good value and with winfire in alot of areas
> difrent isps will be forced to compeat and lower their prices on dsl
> service.
[View Quote]

Visual C++

Mar 8, 2001, 11:33pm
"lanezeri" <lanezeri at free-1.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3aa80c15 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Borland is good.. it sux tho..

What's that supposed to mean??? lol

Fox Mc Cloud

Slot Bot (hehe, I like the name)

Apr 7, 2001, 1:50am
I totally agree with you, xelag !!
Just imagine how Roland feels when/if he reads eeps posts like "more of Roland's bad maths" or something... when he's put years into
this program...

Keep up the good work makaveli, we're all eagerly waiting to try your bot... ;))

Fox Mc Cloud !

"xelag" <xelag at 3dee.nl> a écrit dans le message news: 3ace89aa$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> A creepy comment :(
>
> When I started making my bots, this is the sort of comment that put me off.
> Luckily, some people were more positive, sharing dreams, experiences and
> code.... and encouraging words. Bots do *not* need to be released once and
> be big, RD. It is the creative effort that makes a bot big, not how it is
> received. Making a bot is like creating a poem or a sculpture: you put your
> soul in it.
>
> May I quote from my Fang Club, written by a known **** when I first
> released my bot:
>
> "Eep² <yawn> Yet more wasted effort that could've been more wisely,
> efficiently used towards an existing bot instead of redoing most of what was
> already done. Gee, you programmers must be sado masochists or something.
> Ever heard of the concept of cooperation? Try it."
>
> This is the sort of attitude that murders souls.
>
> XelaG

Slot Bot (hehe, I like the name)

Apr 7, 2001, 7:58pm
RD, I don't believe you're right about the initial impact of a bot & all...
For example, jey said in this thread that there had already been a slot bot released sometime ago but it's long forgotten now...
Besides, if the bot really had such impact and everyone used it, it would mean it was still pretty cool, and makaveli would be proud
of having his bot used by all, so I don't see why he would want to try and avoid that...

Fox Mc Cloud

"rough diamond" <joshua_trask at capecod.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3acf47db$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I never said he couldn't. I'm saying that bots can have one impact on the
> community, so if someone made an exact copy of CyPac except 1,000x better,
> it still wouldn't have as much impact. So all I'm saying is that if you just
> want to do things to toy around and learn then let someone who wants to make
> it for the impact make it.
>
> Let me make my recommendations like we all have. If I want to talk to new
> programmers about "impact", then let me do it for Heaven's sake !!
>
> -RD

[View Quote]

Tourist, Citizen, & BOT entering/leaving status

Apr 15, 2001, 10:52pm
You can't do that.

Fox Mc Cloud

"m a r c u s" <none at sfsdfsd.come> a écrit dans le message news: 3ada3397$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I don't know how much clearer I can be.
>
> I don't want any bot to tell me who is entering or leaving its area.

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 19, 2001, 7:18pm
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree on this. I am sure they've never even thought about letting the users choose the background
they see in a world on an individual basis, simply because it's not the concept of activeworlds, and would ruin the ambiance of a
lot of worlds, and NOT for profit or something.
I had never thought about changing the background that I see in a world while others would see another one. The concept of
Activeworlds is to allow people who use the browser and pay a small fee or no fee, to visit worlds made and designed by those who
paid a higher fee, the worldbuilders. So being able to change your own background seems totally out of question to me, and is
definitely NOT something that should be allowed in the browser. It's a feature I would NOT like to see, even for free, as it would
limit the ability for worldbuilders to create an immersive and realistic world.

I'm sure they never thought someone would consider buying a world just to see another background image in his browser. Why do you
want so badly to change your background image? (no offense, just a question... because I don't really understand why you seem to
make this matter so important and are even willling to pay for it)

Fox Mc Cloud

"m a r c u s" <none at sfsdfsd.come> a écrit dans le message news: 3adf4a8e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> Yes, they set it up so you have to buy a world in order to change a
> background. I fully understand that. I am voicing my opinion in regards to
> that which supports trying to find a way in which we can pay Active Worlds
> to provide a feature which allows us to change the background without having
> to spend at least $80. I don't mind a fee, I mind the $80 fee. I am
> willing to pay Active Worlds %75 of a citizenship fee ($15) to see this
> happen.

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 19, 2001, 7:23pm
note below

"foxmccloud" <FoxMcCloud at cyberbrain.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3adf561e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I am sure they've never even thought about letting the users choose the background they see in a world on an individual basis,
simply because it's not the concept of activeworlds, and would ruin the ambiance of a lot of worlds, and NOT for profit or
something.

The "NOT for profit or something" was referring to the fact that I'm sure they're not preventing people from choosing their own
background just for the profit of making it a paying feature. (I just found this sentence confusing when rereading it, so I
clarified this here :o) )

Fox Mc Cloud

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 20, 2001, 3:46am
Now I understand your point. I think the problem comes from the fact that AlphaWorld is sooooooo much bigger than all (or most ? I
don't think there are other worlds that big but not sure) the other worlds, and as such has a lot of different themes depending on
the area you're visiting... So the background can't fit each one of those themes... It's another matter for the other worlds : most
have a clearly definite theme and their background is chosen accordingly, so there would be no reason to change it... if it's not
well chosen, that's up to the world owner to fix it.

But I still think your idea of changing it just for your browser by changing a "background" field in the options would not be the
way to go... if what you want is to have the right background according to the area you're visitng in Alphaworld, then I guess a
cool new feature would be to have something like a new "background" action, which would change your own background when triggered...
or to find a way to be able to define different backgrounds depending on what area you're visiting.
The difference with your vision is that you are finding the background of a certain place not to fit correctly the scenery of
whoever built it... and you want to fix that yourself. But it should not be your job to do it : it's up to the world owner to design
his world accordingly, or would be up to the builder of a certain place in AW... if it was possible to change the background like I
described earlier.

By the way, the "background" field you saw in the world options cannot be changed by everyone, because when it's changed the
background changes for everyone in the world, and you wouldn't want everyone to be able to change your bakcground :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"m a r c u s" <none at sfsdfsd.come> a écrit dans le message news: 3adfaf65$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I appreciate your position. I have another position.
>
> It may be raining in your neck of the woods, and it may be sunny where I am,
> or vice versa. The "natural" ambience will be different. I would love for
> the mayor of my city (in the real world) to pick one sunny climate and leave
> it that way all day everyday and include drinks in the evening to enjoy the
> night sky. I am sorry, but that probably won't happen outside of a dream.
>
> Reality changes and that includes the background. Even a glance at a
> weather map shows different weather patterns with clouds forming in some
> areas, and not in other places. There is snow while there is not snow in
> other parts. It is dark in some areas, and it is light in some areas. If
> you travel, this change of scenary/ambience changes more rapdily, so should
> the background in Active Worlds to reflect this "natural" ambience in a more
> realistic sense and also so AW can get some more money from us, hehe.
>
> I am willing to pay for it cause I would like a different background. I am
> very happy with the objects I have in AW, and I have searched other worlds.
> Now I am ready to pay for what I want, but not the extras.

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 20, 2001, 3:53am
Just something else to add : I don't think you would even be pleased wiith the feature you'd get when purchasing a world : paying
the 80$ fee does NOT let you change your background wherever you are. It lets you change your background in your own world, and
that's all. As I understand it, you wanted to be able to change it in AlphaWorld... (if it's not AW then you could ask the world
owner to change it..). you will NEVER be allowed to do that, and your problem seems to be more of a feature that does not exist in
the ActiveWorlds software than a fee problem.
Of course, you can ask for new features, nothing wrong with that, but I don't think your discussion about the prices is right,
because the feature is not developped in the software (unless by using a local path, which would do the job, although a lot too
complex, but this feature was clearly not developped for that goal)

Fox Mc Cloud

"m a r c u s" <none at sfsdfsd.come> a écrit dans le message news: 3adfb20a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Yes, you are right. You have to buy a world first. All I want is to change
> a background, I don't want the extras. I am willing to pay a reduced fee to
> make this happen. %75 of a citizenship ($15) should be more than enough to
> put a switch in place so we can do that without shelling out $80 and get
> things that some citizens don't want or need.
>
> All I want is to change a background using a $20 citizenship and a small fee
> for this ability.

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  |