foxmccloud // User Search

1  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  |

3.3 features

Dec 6, 2001, 10:14am
Well I don't understand why tourists don't have numbers anyway.
Why wouldn't they need to register (for free) like everyone? that would have solved a lot of problems. Sure, they could create a new
registration when they're banned, but still...
Anyway this isn't going to change now, it's too late.

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0f4de0 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> that would have a bad effect if you ban a tourist lol

3.3 features

Dec 9, 2001, 2:16am
an IP address is 4 numbers (each having a value of 0-255)...
(I guess it was just a typo :) )

Fox Mc Cloud

"brandon" <brandon at fake-email-adresses.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c12e4db$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> he MEANS xxx.xxx.000

Sorry bout Coca Cola being so big

Nov 29, 2001, 9:56pm
You probably just hit the button on the left of the reply to group button.
if the message is empty (no quoting the prev. message) and the subject line
is empty too, then you probably missed the button :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"agent fox mulder" <AgentFoxMulder at Shaw.ca> a écrit dans le message news:
3c05644f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> ..ya..its so annoying

this is driveing me nutz

Nov 29, 2001, 10:15pm
You haven't told us what the size of your disk was, and how it was
partitioned.
Anyway, scan your disk with chkdsk /f C: , it should give better results.
You didn't tell us WHAT the errors were either. There must be a scandisk.log
file on your C:\ , zip it and post it in reply, with a warning if it's
large...

Then do a search on your HDD searching for any files over 10MB or
something... and click on the Size column header to see what the biggest
files on your HDD are...
Another check is to go in your C:, select all the files there (Ctrl+A ,
don't forget to unhide hidden/system files) and then right click ->
Properties (or Alt+Enter) to see how many files there are, how big they are
and how much space they use (which are 2 different info), and check if
anything is supicious. You could tell us those numbers too... And the names
and sizes of the biggest files on your disk when you do the search

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c065f39 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> My file system is FAT32
> I don't have Norton Disk Doctor only McAfee VirusScan
> Im not that good with DOS commands
> All my .tmp files combine are well under 2MB
> Last time I had my PC in for fixing I had to get the hard drive replaced,
> lost many programs over that. {wonders if this new one could be bad}
> My CD-ROM has been constantly used almost daily for about 3 years.
> My internet cache is set to never go over 50MB and it always auto cleans
it
> self daily.
> My AW cache is set to never go over 100 MB I delete that about once each
> week.
> I can't run my V scaner anymore ether, when i tell it to do a full PC scan
> it stops about half way because something during that scan used up 1 GB,
> thats where the problem started.
> So im stuck scanning with some online scanner.
> http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp

this is driveing me nutz

Nov 29, 2001, 10:37pm
10 MB is 10 240 KB...

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c06d32c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I can't surch that, windows 98 can not serch for files that are over
> 9999999 KB

this is driveing me nutz

Dec 1, 2001, 6:02pm
That's a really good point. I just HATE that. Manufacturers write drive
specifications in billions of bytes, and call that gigabytes. It's just
totally false, and don't tell me a HDD manufacturer doesn't know there are
1024 bytes in 1 kilobyte !!
I hate those kind of marketing stupidities... grrrrrrr...
like my IBM HDD has 45GB written even on the disk itself... and actually it
only has about 45 000 000 000 bytes... that is 43 945 312KB, or 42 915 MB,
or just 41.9GB !!
I'm not sure if that was really the problem of data21, but still it annoys
me a lot.

Fox Mc Cloud

"captain mad mike" <cmm at swcity.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c0910cd at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> space for no reason (like mine) and also some manufacturers round up with
> the size (though probably not by 3GB...thats a lot of data to say exists
> when it really doesn't).

Another IE problem. lol.

Nov 29, 2001, 10:18pm
You mean UPgrading to Windows 98? ;)
Or consider Windows 2000, rather (and linux as well while you're at it :) )

Fox Mc Cloud

"nornny11" <Nornny1 at home.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3c06b8ab at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I'm sorry if this is getting annoying, but I promise this is pure
> coincidence. lol. Anyways, I have IE 6 and it's giving me problems today.
> can't seem to open a link in a new window, whether it'd be manually or the
> link automatically opens the page up. The browser doesn't freeze up or
> anything, it just doesn't display anything. Clicking on links that open
up,
> I found the error to be that a module or something is missing. I have
> Windows XP home (there's the problem right there. lol) and am considering
> downgrading, if I ever knew how. lol. For now, I just installed Netscape
but
> it's really hard and extremely annoying to download all of their plugins
> view embedded java, video, audio, and such. Can anyone help?
>
> Nornny

I'm bored

Dec 1, 2001, 1:05am
*watches his fish mate with his bicycle*

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3c07d0ce at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> LoL it all depends on the aspect of what you're looking at.. in order for
> our species to survive.. we both need each other to pass on genes and to
> mate.. in any other form.. either could be true ;)
>
> --Bowen--

I'm bored

Dec 1, 2001, 1:07am
True, too bad that men do.
Ever seen a female SS? :P

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3c07ee14$3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> the majority of woman don't have the "balls" to
> fight battles either..

VIRUS ALERT

Dec 6, 2001, 2:45am
..scr files are screen savers, they are programs like the others and can do whatever they want.

Fox Mc Cloud

"trekkerx" <zac at commatron.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0ee0e9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Just a note scr files cant do that :)

Windows XP Home (A Few Questions before I get it)

Dec 6, 2001, 4:03am
You'll find what I think of all this below.
(Warning : really long post, but might contain useful info for anyone who wants to buy a good computer. And I'm not talking about
getting the best system at any price, but getting a more powerful system for an even lower price, and I guess anyone would want
that. You can follow these advices safely, as I have built myself 7 full PCs over the years, not counting upgrades or systems built
for friends.)

"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0ea1b4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just writing this e-mail as I am getting a new PC some time at the end
> of Christmas.
> The system specs will be: (I could probably get even better in a months time
> for the same price, we'll see anyway)
>
> o Pentium 4 1.7ghz
> o 512mb RDRam
Now, I guess you want that because the name Intel is stamped on them...
I must say that I dislike Intel ever since AMD started making faster and cheaper processors (the Athlon 500 was the first), but I'll
stick to benchmarks and give reference, so you don't think I'm biased.

I'm not saying this is not a good processor, but why even consider it when Athlon XP are faster and cheaper? And I'm not even
talking about the price of RAMBUS memory...
By the way you didn't mention what motherboard you planned to buy? It's just about the most important part of your computer, don't
neglect it.
The best thing you can buy right now are either Durons or Athlon XPs. And DON'T think that you should not buy a Duron just because
it's suppoosed to be aimed at "budget" buyers. It is a LOT cheaper, and offers better performance as Pentium 4s (The Duron 1200
outperforms the Pentium 4 1500, see http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011116/index.html for the benchmark). Don't even consider
Celerons. A Duron 1200 is 3 times faster as a Celeron 1200 (see link above for the benchmark too). Also, the Athlon XP 1800+
(1533MHz) outperforms the Pentium 4 2000MHz.

So you can choose a Duron system if you want a high end system with a lot of other cool things (the money saved on the processor can
allow you to buy a better video card, or things like scanners or a webcam, or well, just be saved money :) ) , or if you're like me
you'll prefer to buy the Athlon XP just because you like to have the best processor around no matter what... lol (and I'm not saying
this is a good thing :P)
The best Duron you can buy is 1200, the best Athlon XP you can buy is the Athlon XP 1500+ (considering price and performance) : see
the benchmarks here. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011031/xpvsp4-15.html

Don't forget to buy a good processor fan too, AMD processors tend to fry a bit too easily ;) I'd recommand the Thermaltake SuperOrb,
which I own.
512 MB RAM is excellent, but of course you'd switch to DRR 266 SDRAM should you choose and AMD system. Try to choose RAM coming from
a well-known manufacturer, like NEC, don't buy anonymous RAMs of course :)

The best Mainboards out there are those based on KT266A chipsets. The 2 best you can buy are the Soltek SL-75DRV2 and the Soyo
SY-K7V (Dragon Plus!). The Epox-8KHA+ is really excellent too.
NEVER underestimate the impact of a good motherboard. This will not only have an impact on performance (although quite small), but
will determine HOW LONG you can use your system (as good manufacturers provide more BIOS updates for newer devices), and, most
importantly, this is the major element that makes a computer crash or run non-stop for months or years (along with a good OS of
course.). In this regard, the Soltek and the Soyo are the best, as Epox has a few crashes (rare, but the others are still best.)

> o 64mb Geoforce 2 Video Card
It is not on sale any longer. It has been superseded by the GeForce2 TI, GeForce3 TI200 and GeForce3 TI500
I'd suggest either a GeForce2 TI or a GeForce3 TI200, I think they are both around the same price as the old GeForce2.
GeForce3 TI500 is great but it's still very exepensive. Not that much of a difference compared to the TI200 anyway.

The manufacturer of a GeForce card doesn't really impact performance much, since nVidia sells the same RAM and chips to all
manufacturers, along with suggested board designs. So your choice will be made considering the price and / or the bundled
accessories or software that come along. I personnally like ASUS DeLuxe cards better, cause they offer a wide range of software and
a lot of I/O ports too. But they may be a bit expensive, your choice. Also, driver support is something important usually, but you
don't really have to care about that here since nVidia delivers fantastic drivers anyway, so you don't have to rely on your
manufacturer's drivers.

By the way, you didn't mention what sound card you were getting. I'd recommand Creative SoundBlaster Live Value! 2, it's cheap and
has great sound and features. If you want the best of the best, buy a SoundBlaster Audigy.
Never rely on a motherboard's integrated Sound Card, and prefer versions without a sound card, even at the same price, to avoid
conflicts.

> o 40gig HDD (4 x 10gig NTSF Partitions)
Again, don't neglect the important things here... who's the manufacturer? what's the drive's speed?
I'm not really up to date on the HDD market but you can find any benchmark on http://www.tomshardware.com . I personnally like IBM
DeskStar 75GXP drives best, but I think there are newer drives now so I'm not sure. Never buy anything you haven't read positive
benchmarks about.

> o Windows XP Home
Now, I don't understand why anyone would want to buy this. The professionnal edition is bad enough, but the Home edition is a lot
worse.
If you really want a MS-Windows XP (yuck), buy the Pro edition at least, and leave that Home edition in the garbage bin where it
belongs.
The best Microsoft system you can have right now is Windows 2000 Professionnal. Stable, usable, not too bloated, (I'm not saying XP
isn't any of these, just stating that 2000 is) and mostly, DOES NOT require registering a new key EACH SINGLE TIME you change your
hardware ! Not each time you reinstall it, you really HAVE to beg Microsoft for a key EACH TIME you add, remove or change any
hardware in your computer. Needless to say, users that buy XP presumably only do so because they don't know this... Moreover,
Microsoft can decide that they think you are not a legitimate user trying to get your key, so they may refuse to give you a new key
if they see you changed you hardware too many times. I think there's a limited number of times you can do this too, legitimate or
not.
So, what can I say ? If this all is true (as I haven't tried myself, I can't tell, but if anyone has a proof of the opposite I'd be
glad to hear about it. The things I said up there are based on the reports of angry XP buyers, but I couldn't check.), well XP is
simple unusable.

Wether this is true or not, there is simply no reason to switch to XP since 2000 is so fine :)
However, this is what I recommand when you have that big a drive, and it is how my system is organized :
I run Windows 98 for repair-mode and legacy software or games, Windows 2000 mainly for AW, NG/mail-checking and Borland CBuilder5,
and Linux Mandrake 8.0 for most other things.
Reserve something like 4GB for a FAT32 partition, on which you could install MS-Windows 98, not only because there are a few games
that don't run under MS-Windows 2000, but also because you can restart in DOS mode that way, which will make things a lot easier to
repair should you encounter problems with Win2000.
Then, an NTFS partition for the Win2000 system files, say 6GB. It's better to keep MS-Windows system files and applications / games
etc.. in separate partitions.
Then, create an extended partition which will contain a 6GB Ext2 partition to install Linux, which you won't fail to want since it's
free and the best system around :) If you've never tried it, you really should. You feel really free to do whatever you want, and
know Microsoft isn't spying on you :). It's easy to install and to use, contrary to what some persons think. Many administrations
have chosen it as the OS for their secretaries, which usually aren't the most computer-litterate people, and everything works fine.
You will also need a SWAP partition for Linux (256MB or 512MB will do).
Finally, allocate the remaining space for an NTFS or FAT32 partition, as you feel like it, for apps and data. I'd go for NTFS, it
supports security and really advanced things. It fragments quite fast though, so you should schedule a weekly defrag at 5:00am or
something and everything will be fine ;)

One last thing - ALWAYS accept it when they ask you to build a boot disk when you install an OS, it can save your computer's life ;)
I usually dismissed it until PartitionMagic crashed while resizing my 45GB partition and I couldn't do a thing since I didn't have a
boot disk.

> I heard that Windows XP and NTSF don't like each other, seems to make lots
> of errors on the HDD when using chkdsk even 30 minutes later after fixing
> errors it picks up new ones? Maybe it would be safer to stick to FAT32, not
> sure.
NTFS will run without a problem on XP and 2000, I recommand it. FAT32 sucks.

> Ok, what I need to know is a few things, firstly, does AW Support Windows XP
> without hassle?
Don't know about this, but I guess it should run without a problem.

> Also, does anyone know if Norton Antivirus 2000 supports Windows XP?
> I know you can use XP's compatibility options to have programs work as they
> would like they did with previous versions of Windows until you can get
> driver updates. But this would be a pain in the backside...
>
> Also, I've heard that the new versions of ICQ2001 have been having some
> problems with WindowsXP, is this the same with any of you out there?
>
> Anything else I should look out for with WindowsXP and my most commonly used
> programs, let me know:
>
> o ICQ2001
> o AW 3.2
> o Norton System Works 2000 (Includes Antivirus 2000)
> o ZoneAlarm Pro (Built in firewall in XP, is it any good and better than
> ZoneAlarm?)
> o Wingate (Apparently, don't need it with XP or any newer versions of
> Windows, I've been stuck in the Stone Age)
> o All my previous PC Games, Soldier of Fortune, anything at all which you
> know won't work?
>
> Also, some other questions include, if I format to NTSF partitions, and
> network to a first edition Windows 98 machine (The one I'm using now), I
> should be able to see it, but the Win98 machine should not be able to browse
> my files and so on, right? Of course, they should still be able to share
> printer, scanner, burner, dvd?
No, you can access drives of other filesystems on the network, although I've found it to be quite tricky to access a MS-Windows 2000
system from a 9x core win. You should get over it though.

Final note : your best friend to choose which hardware you should buy is http://www.TomsHardware.com . Check it often, even the day
before you decide to buy your things, because things change real fast in computers.
If they have a different opinion than you on a hardware, just trust them blindly. They know best. They have a lab where they
benchmark lots and lots of system, so they know what's good and what's not. ALWAYS rely on that site. Of course I'm not saying the
other benchmark sites are no good, just that this one is a good one that you can rely on. Other sites usually have similar results.

I know, that was a really long post. I hope it helped you or the others that took time reading it.
I don't like Microsoft and Intel, I can't say the opposite. But I've tried to be objective, let me know if you think I'm biased, but
I think everything I stated here was backed by facts and/or figures. I'm not trying to promote anything, just to give advice on
what's the best practice when building a computer.

Fox Mc Cloud

Windows XP Home (A Few Questions before I get it)

Dec 6, 2001, 4:08am
Ah, another thing. If you come to a store and want to buy one precise Motherboard, card or whatever, and they don't have it in
stock, the salesman will tell you "ahh but this one is even better, you'll see it will work really fine " etc etc... Never follow
this advice, unless you've read benchmarks about the exact product they're talking about, and you really know what you're doing. It
has happened to me several times and I was REALLY disappointed. Either go to another store or ask that they command it, the wait
will be worth it.
Write down all your system's specs on a paper, with the precise reference of each single component, and never buy anything you
haven't read benchmarks about.

Fox Mc Cloud

Windows XP Home (A Few Questions before I get it)

Dec 6, 2001, 4:35am
Forgot the link to the benchmark for this one.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/kt266a_nforce-23.html

Fox Mc Cloud

"foxmccloud" <FoxMcCloud at cyberbrain.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0f0a1f at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> The best Mainboards out there are those based on KT266A chipsets. The 2 best you can buy are the Soltek SL-75DRV2 and the Soyo
> SY-K7V (Dragon Plus!). The Epox-8KHA+ is really excellent too.

Windows XP Home (A Few Questions before I get it)

Dec 6, 2001, 5:30am
I thought so too, and was defending Intel heavily against AMD for a long time. I first got a 486 SX-25, then a Pentium 100, a
Pentium 166, a Celeron 333, and a Celeron 500. I didn't want to know anything about AMD and just laughed at those who bought K6s...
But ever since the Athlon came out, it's just not that way any longer. It took me a little time to realize it by the way.

"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0f199c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I have trusted Intel ever since I got my first pentium, after the 386 & 486
> I had years ago. Never had a single problem with Intel at all. And AMD
> heating up so fast, I couldn't care less about the cheaper things.

> I know very well how to build a computer, but I also have my favourites,
> such as Intel and Microsoft. Never had a problem with them :-)

Of course, I didn't want to sound like "I know and you don't" and I hope I didn't :) Just wanted to explain my views, and thought it
could be useful to less experienced users too.
By the way, if your OS ever crashed, then you had a problem with them.

Oh, and one thing about "personal favourites". Of course, everyone has some, and so do I (mine are ASUS, nVidia, AMD, Linux,
OpenGL...), but it's not always a good thing.
I have often preferred to buy one thing that was more expensive than an other, because I liked the company better... The problem is
that when you act that way and everyone tells you you should not, even though you won't listen, well, you just end up being wrong.
It's happened to me in the past, when people told me AMD was better than Intel and I just said that Intel is best and I don't even
want to try AMD. When Duke Nukem came out I said I like Id software best and don't want to try it. When Quake2 came out I said I
liked Quake better. And I defended Microsoft against Linux until I tried it once. The same went when I preferred 3dfx over nVidia.

The thing is, for each and every of those things, I was wrong and would never had admitted it at that time. And later I realised how
I had been blind to the facts.
So, of course if you're like me you won't listen... but I still want to say it. Don't stick to favorites, it's just bad. Read
articles, read benchmarks, research actual data, and if you can, try by yourself. That way you can decide, and try not to be too
biased by favorites, because the only thing it'll lead you to will be to say "Damn, was I stupid at that time !" in a few years,
which happened to me quite a lot.

Anyway, I don't think this is of any use since you probably won't listen (I know I wouldn't), but just try to think about it. Prices
and benchmark results can't be biased, they are your friends. Don't rely on your feelings :)

Fox Mc Cloud

Windows XP Home (A Few Questions before I get it)

Dec 6, 2001, 5:41am
By the way, I would like to see any unbiased (i.e. not made by an official company, and based on facts and benchmarking) reviews
that show Intel processors as better than AMD, because I have yet to see one. And if you don't find one, you should start asking
yourself questions why professional reviewers all say AMD is best and you think you know better than them ;). But if you do, please
post the links, I'd like to see what they have to say.

And about AMD processors heating a lot, well it's true, but it's only a problem for overclockers. My old TBird 1GHz ran with a
ThermalTake SuperOrb (not saying it would not have ran with a normal fan, I hadn't tried it), but my current ThunderBird 1.33GHz
runs with the supplied standard fan without a glitch, so that's not a problem really. And if you want to overclock it a lot, just
buy a better fan, should not be a problem :)

Fox Mc Cloud

Windows XP Home (A Few Questions before I get it)

Dec 9, 2001, 4:21pm
I'm sure MS considers any non-MS software is illegal lol

Fox Mc Cloud

"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c12f838 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Conversation is over, and I already got my new system with Windows XP, no
> hassles. And why would I worry when I don't use pirated software??

my paintball worl.d

Dec 7, 2001, 12:30am
It is definitely more than your statement. You'd better watch your mouth if you don't want to be banned again :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"brandon" <brandon at fake-email-adresses.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0feb45$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> complaining about my opinion isn't constructive ether....

I need CDROM help plz

Dec 7, 2001, 8:51pm
whenever i've got hardware problems, i just uninstall windows
and it usually corrects them

"syko" <sykofreak169 at msn.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1128cb at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> whenever i've got hardware problems, i just reinstall windows (without
> deleting or formatting) and it usually corrects them

I need CDROM help plz

Dec 7, 2001, 8:55pm
Well this should not happen... some CDs is ok, but if that's nearly all, your CD-ROM drive more than likely has a problem... maybe
you should ask for a repair / refund if the warranty is valid...
Also there are CD-ROM drive lens cleaner CDs, which have a small brush on them, you can try that, it has worked in the past for me
(but don't expect that to solve all your problem... and also it was a long time ago with my 2x Sony CD-ROM drive :) )

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3c111f7d at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> anyone know what would cause a CDROM drive to only read 1 CD and refuse to
> read all others? none of them are CDR's or CDRW's.
> They are all store bought CD's mostly game CD's and software CD's
> I reinstalled its drivers and that did not help.
> Im still confused on why it will read this 1 CD and no others.
> All my CD's are in good condition and all worked before.

computer illiterate

Dec 8, 2001, 1:41am
No way is this all true, it's obviously a hoax, but soooo funny ;)))
the original article is on www.adequacy.org by the way.

Fox Mc Cloud

"builderz" <sawran at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3C1175C0.BED5DB6E at yahoo.com...
> I read that today, too, KAH. Very, very funny article. It seems the
> author of it knows the basics, but has their facts mixed up. I highly
> recommend that people read the entire article to get the full "laugh
> factor" out of it. =)

[View Quote]

computer illiterate

Dec 9, 2001, 2:10am
lol why does everyone take this thing so seriously?? A misinformed parent could write some of these things, but others are too
obvious... for instance, Linyos Torovoltos... lol, how could someone misspell it like that? it is SOOO obvious that the guy is a
hacker (not a cracker which he talks about in this article btw) that makes fun of stupid people :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"builderz" <sawran at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3C12DB93.91D4E304 at yahoo.com...
> AW citizen Tony M added some commentary about the article onto his Web
> site. You can read it at http://tonyhttp.s5.com/misc/hacker.htm.
>
> Builderz
> Stuff-X Network
> http://www.stuff-x.com/
> PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

What's the SW mean? My autobiography O_O

Dec 9, 2001, 1:15am
Thanks for sharing this Comit, it was interesting reading :) Cool story

Fox Mc Cloud

question

Dec 15, 2001, 8:47pm
You may consider Windows 2000 Professionnal though, by far the best OS Microsoft has released as of yet (which isn't much :P)
Well, that's my opinion at least :)
Although 98 works ok most of the time, it may be wiser to use Windows 2000 when running world servers for more stability.
98 is good for older games (if you're into that ;o) ), Windows 2000 for servers, new games, stability, security... The systems to
avoid are 95 and below, Me, NT 4 and below, and XP (especially Home version of course ;o) ).

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1766f1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I got a P2 350MHz and 128MB RAM
> Right now im running windows 98, hosting 2 worlds, a bot or 2, along with
> the AW browser and my processor is only being used about 1% - 6%
> System resources are around 60% free

cable modem

Dec 16, 2001, 9:04pm
Cable connections don't need a modem. Calling those cable modems is an error...

Fox Mc Cloud

cable modem

Dec 16, 2001, 10:57pm
Coaxial cable is digital... every modern communication line is digital except phone lines, which is why you need to
MODulate/DEModulate as you said :)
Don't know the exact name of that device though, but it sure has nothing common with a modem... There's nothing to modulate when
you're on all-digital...

Fox Mc Cloud

"agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1d3c6f at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Coaxial cable is analog, right? Ethernet digital?
> MOdulator-DEModulator... may not be technically correct, but what else should we call it that people won't get confused about?
>
> -Agent1

cable modem

Dec 17, 2001, 4:46pm
I did some research and found you were right... So, I'm stupid. lol
I also found there was quite a confusion on this subject... a lot of sites said there was no modulation/demodulation in cable
modems, but obviously all the more "serious" sites (university courses, cable service providers etc...) agree that cable modems are
indeed modems, my apologies for that :). What isn't modem is actually ISDN connections.

So, well, andras is right, as always. And I'll learn to check my information before posting. ;)

Fox Mc Cloud

"andras" <andras at andras.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3C1E2423.8F6099CE at andras.net...
> I have to correct on that one, sorry:
> The signals to carry your digital datas throught the cable is on the 400 MHz range (download) and on the 50 MHz range (upload).
THose frequencies carry your digital signals in a modulated FM signal which is demodulated by the head station and you cablemode
depending on the direction. The cable modem is an EXACT analogue of the modems you use on the phone lines with the exception of the
carrier frequency (the later uses the sound range for it)

> HTH,
> Andras

Check this out!

Dec 17, 2001, 9:06pm
*Hands a medal to bowen*

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1e756a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> LoL here we go again:
> "Heh... heh.............. This advertisement belongs to the bot newsgroup...
> it's advertising to the community. I was hoping for a discussion. It may
> be on someone's wishlist and it was written using the sdk."
>
> That's his reason for the cross post on all 6 of the newsgroups.. but he
> left out the worldbuilders.. so is it really necessary to post it at all?
> Advertising that's cross-posted IS spam, sorry, if any.. this belonged in
> the bots newsgroup and none other unless you're offering the source code for
> the SDK.
>
> That help you Andras? :)
>
> --Bowen--

Check this out!

Dec 17, 2001, 9:16pm
It's a chocolate medal.

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1e7b07$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> Woooooyah. Is it gold?!?! LoL.. if not what a ripoff you are ;)
>
> --Bowen--

Check this out!

Dec 17, 2001, 9:18pm
By the way it seems to me you spend way too much time in this newsgroup, bowen :oP

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1e7b07$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> Woooooyah. Is it gold?!?! LoL.. if not what a ripoff you are ;)
>
> --Bowen--

I need CD-ROM help

Dec 17, 2001, 5:01pm
"kah" <kah at kahbot.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c1e3fd7$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> well, go to friends with your CDs, see if the CDs work there, if they do,
> your drive has said bye bye, you'll just have to buy a new one (probably
> cheaper than repairing it)
>
> KAH

I think you meant "if they don't" ? that is, if the drive doesn't work at his friend's either...

Oh, and don't keep that much quoted text down there ;)

Fox Mc Cloud

1  ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  |