foxmccloud // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  |

Wouldn't it be cool if...

Apr 20, 2001, 8:30am
"grimble" <grimble2000 at btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3adfe8a5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> and for what? So that someone can change the backdrop/lighting/etc. around their property without paying their dues.
> That's what a world is ... and those attributes are what the worldowner has control of.

The feature I was suggesting would be useful even to world owners... right now there's no way you could have different backgrounds
in different areas, and i'm sure it would have some cool uses...
But anyway I don't think that will happen.

Fox Mc Cloud

Open/Close Files

Oct 17, 2001, 4:06pm
You didn't tell what language you use...

Fox Mc Cloud

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at stuff-x.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3bcdc66e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I asked this before and got a few responses, but could you refresh my memory
> on how to open files and close them once they are edited?

can a bot be created using this program language?

Nov 29, 2001, 9:49pm
If you want to learn programming, start with Delphi/Pascal, and then you can
move on to C/C++... I wouldn't recommand VB because it will teach you bad
programming habits and you'll have to re-learn a lot. Delphi/Pascal FORCES
you to use good habits, and when you're getting good you can use C/C++ which
lets you do anything you want.

And if you don't want to be stuck with Microsoft, use Borland, and keep away
from DirectX ;)
Visual Basic only exists on MS-Windows... While Delphi has been ported to
Linux (it's called Kylix) and C/C++ has lots of compilers on Linux too. I
think Borland will be porting their C++ Builder soon too.

Plus, Borland compilers are FAR superior to Microsoft compilers in any
respect :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3c0681f2 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> whets the best and easiest program language to learn on my own without
going
> to school for it

can a bot be created using this program language?

Dec 1, 2001, 1:01am
Well that's not really true. The most portable programming language out
there is Java, because it will work the same way on any computer that
supports it. It also looks like C++ a lot, but it is not a compiled
language, so it is much less powerful (in terms of execution speed) than
C++.

Fox Mc Cloud

"bowen" <bowen at omegauniverse.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3c07cd95 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> True but it's one of the most powerful languages that you can use to make
> program ;).. it's the most portable too.
>
> --Bowen--

well...

Dec 1, 2001, 6:02pm
yeah, and besides i don't think C++ would recognize
fro(itn i=0; i3<0;+i+) { }
either. ;)

Fox Mc Cloud

"agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3c08fdfa at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hmm... try slowing down when you type a post. Check it over for mistakes
before sending it and it'll be easier to read :)

didn't know

Dec 2, 2001, 4:26pm
Now show some respect to the (many) people that took time to answer your question, and READ their answers.
And if you have anything to say about one of the aforementioned answers, click on your Outlook Express's Reply To Group button, as
opposed to New Message.

Remember to only post if you think that the particular message you want ot send or the answers you expect to receive from it might
be helpful to the community. Posting that you did not know something does little in that regard. If it is related to any of the
messages posted in the last few days, select the corresponding thread and click on Reply To Group. If there is no related thread
from the last few days, select New Message. Try not to reply to topics more than 1 or 2 months old.

I don't want to offend you, everyone makes mistakes at the beginning. Just try to learn from them. :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"goten362" <goten362 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0a6532 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I DId not know PHP works with AW SDK :)

didn't know

Dec 4, 2001, 3:18pm
Not yet, but XP is coming to fix that :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"grimble" <grimble2000 at btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0ceac4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> "Accepted"?? So now you're saying that Windows is a legacy platform?

didn't know

Dec 5, 2001, 2:17pm
I don't have anything against the MS-VC++ compiler, it is good, although I prefer the Borland C++ Builder IDE , but that's a matter
of personal taste :)
But I'd still like to point out that the Borland compiler has more features, compiles quite a lot faster, and programs run a tiny
bit faster too (nothing relevant though), so since it is also CHEAPER, I can't see a reason not to use it.

And I'm scared at how little Americans seem to defend themselves against threats like Microsoft :) It looks like they see no problem
with that company, and even those that do still buy their products... If we go on acting like nothing was happening, in years the
Direct3D API will still be there, Windows will still be popular, and nothing will have changed from the current situation.....

Fox Mc Cloud

"grimble" <grimble2000 at btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c0e3bc4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Unless you're an expert on the development methods and QC practices of
> Heliotrope Studios and THQ, I think this claim that the compiler added the
> message you are describing is highly unlikely. For a start, why would
> Microsoft want to advertise their compiler just as the program crashes? To
> me it sounds more like a developer with the same anti-Microsoft views as
> yourself (and what he considers a sense of humour).
>
> Even if this message issue you have were true (which I don't believe for a
> second - and plenty of my VC++ programs have crashed on me at the beginning
> of a project), if you could expalin how VC++ is, in your view, a crap
> compiler, rather than why you think Microsoft is (a) the wrong platform for
> your needs and (b) inherently evil, it would be appreciated.
>
> Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
>
> Grims

didn't know

Dec 23, 2001, 1:15am
And you accept that? I don't.

Fox Mc Cloud

"wings" <glenn61 at earthlink.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3c2440e8 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Have you ever
>
> But you OWN your fridge. You only license the Microsoft product.

Animal Bot 1.1

Dec 30, 2001, 7:57pm
It has to run on the same machine as the server then...

Fox Mc Cloud

"marnvin" <vincent at vimaxarts.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c2f1390$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> it.
>
> Im designing an animal bot which wont walk through objects.
> It will get the sizes from the registry.

DimmBot 1.1.2 - A free cit to the breaker....

Jan 13, 2002, 10:35pm
Bowen? We need you there... lol

Fox Mc Cloud

"thafrek" <1 at 1.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c4212b3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> lol. apparently i'm st00pid, then... that's wuht i thot of, swe
>
> buht at least i cud figger out how to move it thru unis.. no offense ;)
>
> --ThaFrek

AW Visual Basic SDK question

Jan 10, 2002, 6:03pm
when you use 0 as the port, it means "default" which is 5670

Fox Mc Cloud

"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> a écrit dans le message news: 3c3df18f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I thought AW runs on port 5670?

[View Quote]

problem

Jan 15, 2002, 3:43pm
Learning to program takes a lot of patience, because programming takes a lot of patience. You don't have the choice.

Fox Mc Cloud

"ssgoten" <goten362 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c4420d9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> the problem with me learning is i want a quickie website page like
> cprogramming.com but for vb so it doesn't take as long i'm not good at
> patiences :(

Offline Bot Testing

Feb 26, 2002, 5:02pm
Do you happen to think debuggers are for newbies only?

Fox Mc Cloud

"j b e l l" <jbell1983 at home.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3c7b37ad$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> if you really know the code you should be able to just read throught it and
> know what's wrong..
> ..hell.. i can write a vb compileable program with notepad..
>
> with one hand tied behind my back..
>
> with a blindfold on
>
> with my legs tied together
>
> with no sleep for three months..
>
> ...in under 30 seconds..
>

> .....skillz.......

Re: Eep's Prelight :)

May 21, 2000, 2:36pm
Great :o)
those kind of commands would be especially useful in worlds like AW where everyone can't add objects...

FoxMcCloud

mauz a écrit dans le message <3927d708 at server1.Activeworlds.com>...
[View Quote]

tourist property deletion

Jan 30, 2001, 2:03am
He said he had to spend hours deleting tourist trash => that means tourists
leaved trash in his buildings, not that all tourists buildings are trash...

Fox Mc Cloud

"felix2001" <homeworkkid at msn.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3a763017 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
Excuse me, but I couldn't help noticing how you called tourist property
TRASH!!!!!! I'm sure many of us have been tourists before! I've built
wonders as a tourists myself, and they were all destroyed by people like
YOU. Please, do not destroy harmless tourist property unless it is just one
object.

[View Quote]

Built-in land surveyer and builder

Jan 30, 2001, 2:23am
There won't be any new features in 3.1 ! it's already being beta tested....

Fox Mc Cloud

"felix2001" <homeworkkid at msn.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3a76312c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> 3.1 should have a built-in land surveyor so that you can save land without
> bots (which aren't allowed in many worlds anyway.) The surveyer could give
> you different views of the land, and you could also get a 2D view where
you
> drag the cursor and select all the land in a cell. Then you can save it
and
> build it again. I know this is possible, because once I was building and
> ActiveWorlds messed up and moved a lot of my land up 30 meters for no
> reason. (of course, I wasn't a tourist either.)

more realistic gravity

Mar 13, 2001, 7:22pm
I've made one... it's far from perfect of course, but maybe you could improve it by tweaking the values... just walk on the metallic
floor in front of
wildaw 66.6S 162.1E 0.0a 85
you can also try walking in the box that's near there

Fox Mc Cloud

"edea" <sorceressknight at home.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3aae8ac0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Yeah, it would be great if I could actually build a real working elevator in
> AW... sigh...

auto-URL bug

Feb 22, 2001, 1:00pm
notice how outlook express too doesn't detect most of these URLs...
maybe it would be better having something like a
<URL>tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#scale</URL> tag, or maybe <URL
tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#scale>Click here</URL... or both...
anyway we can still "force URL on" by adding http:// in front of the url..

Fox Mc Cloud

"eep" <eep at tnlc.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3A94D178.E3865FE7 at tnlc.com...
> works:
> http://tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#scale
> tnlc.com/rw/terms.html
> tnls.com/#test (non-existant link)
>
> doesn't work:
> tnlc.com/rw/terms.html#scale

auto-URL bug

Feb 22, 2001, 7:32pm
I know, anyway roland obviously hasn't read a single message in this forum
for years so....... :)
(i don't blame him, he's probably got too much work with fixes etc..)

Though I think someone should ask roland to read the last posts by eep & sw
comit (and also tell him they aren't long so he doesn't run away when he
sees how many there are.......) because there are definitely some good ideas
roland could add to his features list in there...
Besides, we can all see that eep is making efforts to be ask things politely
etc.. (and i really appreciate it) so it would be a good thing if roland
took them into account to convince eep it was the right way to go... :o)

Fox Mc Cloud, who doesn't even hope he will be heard but still tries ;o)

"rolu" <rolu.university at bigfoot.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3a9536e4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> That would require some kind of HTML stuff, so it isn't really a good
idea.
> You start with URL tags, then add colours, page layout stuff, and before
you
> know it you have tags for fancy moving and scrolling text. And you will
have
> reinvented HTML.
>
> Adding http:// is easier :-)
>
> rolu

Vertical move

Feb 24, 2001, 3:22am
That would only require 2 lines of code for Roland, or so i guess.... good
idea...

"sw comit" <swcomit at swcity.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3a973a2f at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> True...still, that's would require a good deal of work to keep people from
> doing that

Snapshot

Feb 26, 2001, 11:05pm
Well the video card is rendering the screen, not AW... so, there's not much to be done about it, except maybe using a higher
resolution... and if you want quality, png would be the format of choice rather than jpg...

By the way ! (not really related but it made me think about it)... i'd really like to see a program that would do something like
read all the objects in a world (or in a defined sector of a world) and read their geometry if you give it a local path to the rwx
files, then export this all to a big .3ds file or some other more widespread format...
That would be a little tricky to do because you have to read rwx and write 3ds files, but once you know how to do that it's really
easy...
So the point would be to take a big 3d "screenshot" of a world (maybe with the avatars included, why not?) and read that in a 3d
rendering program so you can render a beautiful picture of your world... it could even set the correct lights etc...
It sure would be long to render, but even if it took days i'd like to give it a try ;o)

Of course no one is going to actually do it... If I could read rwx and 3ds i'd try it... maybe the creator of Accutrans can do that
program? I really think it would be easy ;o) just long to perform...

Fox Mc Cloud

"wyzard360" <wyzard360 at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3a9aefd3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> AW should have a feature that will make a very high quality rendering of the
> screen to save as a jpg

Snapshot

Mar 2, 2001, 6:23pm
Anyway, can anyone point me to a site where i could see the official specifications of the .rwx and .3ds format ? i'm sure it
exists... or anything that would be helpful in trying to put a bunch of .rwx files in a big .3ds.... maybe i'll give it a try...

Fox Mc Cloud

"rolu" <rolu.university at bigfoot.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3a9cd75e at server1.Activeworlds.com...

[View Quote]

illuminating built-in IE browser

Apr 3, 2001, 1:43pm
I think there's actually a problem about this in the chat window : if the URL is the last word in the line, and you click right from
it (even far away on its right as long as it's in the chat window), your click will trigger the URL. This is a problem if you want
to select the address from right to left, which I usually do : you just can't, but at least you can see it since the cursor is not
the text-selection cursor (it should be a hand by the way). Another problem is that if the URL is not the last word, clicking near
it, but right from it (within 1 character at its right) shows the text selection cursor, and YET still triggers the URL.
I find these 2 problems quite annoying when trying to copy URLs.

Fox Mc Cloud

"j b e l l" <jbell1983 at home.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3ac9e0e4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> good point.. i can honestly say i've done that a cpl times myself.. but don't tell anyone *g*

> J B E L L
> http://platinum.awjbell.com
> G O I N G P L A T I N U M

[View Quote]

a way to hold more then 100 contacts :-)

Apr 5, 2001, 1:10pm
In what way would changing the extension of a file allow it to hold more contacts? :)

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3acc49d7 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> This would be nice to have, as right now I just make 2 or more lists and use
> one at a time.
> Right now the contact list is stored in a .txt file.
> A [ .doc file or a .dat file ] would hold alot more, but the AW program will
> only use and see a .txt file for use as the contact list for now.

a way to hold more then 100 contacts :-)

Apr 9, 2001, 1:51am
Anyway I don't think you can directly compare brain storage and disk storage. Disk storage is a numeric method, while our brain
retains data in analog form, which makes all the difference. there are no bits & bytes in our brains... do you think pictures are
stored in JPG format, integers in 32-bits and texts in 256 chars ASCII format ? :) Well, you can try to roughly estimate how much it
would take to store all of this ona hard disk drive, but even then, there are things in our brains that can't be stored on a hard
disk drive. What about memories of feelings, odors, tastes? what about the movements we learn and remember? (and NO, they aren't
stored in .seq files :P)
I don't think you can compare brain and disk size any way.

Fox Mc Cloud

"the derek" <ImTheDerek at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3AD111C2.D485C602 at yahoo.com...
> well... take EVERYTHING you know... take all the photographic memories you have... trying to put all that on a computer would eb
pretty
> big.. especially for like 90 uyear olds

someone who is getting MADDDDD

Apr 8, 2001, 10:30am
Why would you do that?????????????????????????????

Fox Mc Cloud

"the derek" <ImTheDerek at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3ACFF21D.26009B63 at yahoo.com...
> if they DO do another closed beta im gonna have to have my bot eject people who have the beta browser...

Scroll Down box

Apr 8, 2001, 7:37pm
The ones who are likely to send a file containing 100 ppw's to a stranger are NOT the same ones as the ones who are likely to know
they can set windows to show hidden files :oP

Fox Mc Cloud

"tony m" <tony at vrunited.itgo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3ad0d4ed at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> A number of people now have their Windows set to show hidden files.

New Rights Feature

Apr 9, 2001, 2:00am
What about allowing everyone but tourists to build (or any other right)
I don't think it's possible right now.

Fox Mc Cloud
"the derek" <ImTheDerek at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3AD120EC.D3EDA689 at yahoo.com...
> it would be cool if in the rights dialogue if you
> could put -[citnumber] to make rights available to
> everyone EXCEPT that citizen... good if you have a
> public building world but dont want certain people
> to build... or if some people cant keep their
> mouths shut-make them not able to speak.. also
> would help in banning people..
>
> just
> thought

Re: ahhhh look

Apr 11, 2001, 9:15pm
A good idea would be to be able to put certain strings in the message that would be replaced by the browser when displaying the
message... for example :
%N = user name
%W = world name
and there could be others...
so you could write a message saying "Welcome to %W, %N" and the browser would display the world & name properly

(crossposting this to wishlist)

Fox Mc Cloud

"holistic1" <tkafader at southstar.org> a écrit dans le message news: 3AD4C708.A21CCB9 at southstar.org...
> The only other way is to use a Greeter bot...Maybe something for the
> wishlist.

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  |