Posting in the newsgroup (Community)

Posting in the newsgroup // Community

1  2  |  

activeworlds.com, inc.

Nov 15, 1999, 10:58am
For instructions on posting in the newsgroup please go to:

http://www.activeworlds.com/community/new_newsgroups.html

lara

Nov 15, 1999, 12:57pm
I'm glad to see the newsgroups back up. However, I'm sorry to see
ability to post being restricted to registered citizens only. To me,
the "community" is everyone... registered citizens, tourists, rabble
rousers and dissidents, as well as people who are perfectly happy with
ActiveWorlds. A community is the whole spectrum. Anyone who is
interested in AW should be able to post to the community newsgroup
whether they be a registered citizen or a tourist. If the moderators
want to set limits on what kind of language is used or what topic is
discussed, that's one thing. But to require that the poster be a
registered citizen of ActiveWorlds shuts off any questions that a
tourist might wish to ask on a "community" newsgroup.

Lara

[View Quote]

macb

Nov 15, 1999, 4:51pm
Well... I bet ALMOST everyone involved agrees with what you say Lara. And
since I noticed your post has your name on it I have to ask:

Can we post under our own names again?
What a concept !!!

Closely monitoring a newsgoup (or a chatroom for that matter) is a dull and
thankless task. How could anyone take delight it?


[View Quote]

jack fowler

Nov 15, 1999, 6:16pm
Well stated, Lara.
JackFromVa (MySpot)
---------------------
jack at fowler.org
ICQ # 15260753

lonesome dove

Nov 15, 1999, 9:33pm
I agree wholeheartedly Lara. Unfortunately, not all registered citizens
can post in this forum.

[View Quote] > I'm glad to see the newsgroups back up. However, I'm sorry to see
> ability to post being restricted to registered citizens only. To me,
> the "community" is everyone... registered citizens, tourists, rabble
> rousers and dissidents, as well as people who are perfectly happy with
> ActiveWorlds. A community is the whole spectrum. Anyone who is
> interested in AW should be able to post to the community newsgroup
> whether they be a registered citizen or a tourist. If the moderators
> want to set limits on what kind of language is used or what topic is
> discussed, that's one thing. But to require that the poster be a
> registered citizen of ActiveWorlds shuts off any questions that a
> tourist might wish to ask on a "community" newsgroup.
>
> Lara
>
[View Quote]

lonesome dove

Nov 15, 1999, 9:33pm
I agree wholeheartedly Lara. Unfortunately, not all registered citizens
can post in this forum.

[View Quote] > I'm glad to see the newsgroups back up. However, I'm sorry to see
> ability to post being restricted to registered citizens only. To me,
> the "community" is everyone... registered citizens, tourists, rabble
> rousers and dissidents, as well as people who are perfectly happy with
> ActiveWorlds. A community is the whole spectrum. Anyone who is
> interested in AW should be able to post to the community newsgroup
> whether they be a registered citizen or a tourist. If the moderators
> want to set limits on what kind of language is used or what topic is
> discussed, that's one thing. But to require that the poster be a
> registered citizen of ActiveWorlds shuts off any questions that a
> tourist might wish to ask on a "community" newsgroup.
>
> Lara
>
[View Quote]

mauz

Nov 16, 1999, 11:07am
[View Quote] Yes, a lot of the dynamics of these newsgroups is now gone.
I can understand why Activeworlds.com chose this way: since many of
the "troublemakers" protested by not renewing and are now tourists,
it's easier for the moderators to not let them post at all
than lurk by the newsreader all the time and only delete the
offending posts afterwards. But apparently they don't mind
leaving the new, innocent and eager tourists out either.

This can also lead to the very unpleasant result that if a citizen
does post against the charter, he can soon find his citizenship revoked...

--
Mauz
http://tnlc.com/mauz/

m0e

Nov 17, 1999, 8:58am
loss of citizenship for going against a charter!?!?!?!
maybe I missed that in the charter, or is this 'something' someone said happened, and
is being repeated as if it were fact.
then again, I am out of many loops, and it may well be fact :-(



[View Quote] [View Quote]

macb

Nov 17, 1999, 3:33pm
I don't think Mauz was referring to the "Community Charter" which is the
first post in this group. I think she was referring to the unwritten
charter which is constantly evolving at COF and must be inferred from a
scant few communications with (or actions against) users. Truth be known
(and understood), it is the arbitrary nature of these actions which drive
people crazy. If there were a set of rules, in writing, the EVERYONE must
abide by, then some of us would be unhappy with the rules, but as long as
people have to GUESS what is acceptable, and know that what is acceptable is
a moving target from day to day, then all but the few in control will be
unhappy, and will probably refuse to participate here, or in AW.

As for those who rejoice at eeps inability to post here, keep in mind that
it is largely a voluntary decision on his part not to buy a userid (or even
borrow someone else's for purposes of posting). It was also voluntary that
he spent so much time putting those web pages together that those of us who
build have come to rely on. So, after your done rejoicing, get busy and
replace that information. The ramifications of tightly controlling an
environment, in the real world, or in cyberspace, are usually not known
until the damage is done, and irreparable.

The beauty of AW was largely created by volunteers, who received nothing
for their work other than the pleasure of creating it. Another group of
volunteers is now predominant who do their volunteer work in exchange for
perks, and the right to delete or suppress the work of others.

While others protested that AW was not democratic enough, I have ALWAYS
said that it was the right of the owners of this technology to do with it as
they wished. I guess I should have taken the time to point out that I
believe that democracy WORKS where large groups of people are trying to
co-exist. The choice by COF to move steadily away from modalities that have
been proven in the real world is indeed their right. It is also a big
mistake.

I think we have arrived.


[View Quote]

darla stimbert

Nov 17, 1999, 9:41pm
Well said! Looks like the few people that voice opinions are preventing
future people from ever having a voice, learning about AW, and getting
advice from all of us until they register. :-(
Casay
[View Quote]

darla stimbert

Nov 17, 1999, 9:41pm
Well said, and this is also a test as I posted once here
Casay
[View Quote]

mauz

Nov 18, 1999, 10:17am
[View Quote] I _was_ referring to the newsgroup charter as a matter of fact,
because it says that "[a]ttacks on AWCOM, its employees, contractors
or partners will be rejected." (Hey I read my VCR's manuals too ;)

But m0e is right about it just being a rumour that it was his newsgroup post
that got LordDragon into trouble; I don't even know if he himself knows
the reason. Well, at least he got his world and citizenships back now.

Actually, my biggest complaint against the current password system
is that half the AW doesn't know how to set it up hehe.

--
Mauz
http://tnlc.com/mauz/

marc micalizzi

Nov 21, 1999, 7:01pm
As most of the population of AW is tourist, I think that tourists that USE
AW often, should be able to sign up for FREE access to this using a
"interactive" sign-up method available in ALL COF OWNED WORLDS

SomeNiceGuy



[View Quote]

rehabber

Nov 24, 1999, 9:47pm
How about making an open newsgroup called "AWShout" for everyone to post
anything. Bashers, complainers, whiners and anyone else that dosen't fit
in those catagories but still have a need to vent will all have a place
to go.

jetta lewis

Nov 26, 1999, 12:19pm
Why don't you go ahead and start it up? All it takes is a few dollars and
the time to do it. I think Xaverella started up some kind of newsgroup.
Mebby that will satisfy your needs.

[View Quote]

marc micalizzi

Dec 1, 1999, 12:32am
Good idea Rehabber :o)

SomeNiceGuy

[View Quote]

marc micalizzi

Dec 1, 1999, 12:32am
Jetta,
Question, where can i buy these newgroups?

SNG



!!! at at at ***>>>------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE --------<<<*** at at at !!!Jetta lewis
[View Quote]

jetta lewis

Dec 1, 1999, 12:22pm
Check with Xaverella, I do believe she has already started one. And you
should get a plate full of bashing and flaming in there.


[View Quote]

johnny

Dec 19, 1999, 7:17pm
That's not a bad idea. - John


[View Quote]

yanst

Oct 2, 2002, 11:30pm
Wonder if that is how Andras's newsgroup was bourne(d). Don't think he
requires this info in order to post. I agree we shouldn't have to enter Cit
Name and password in order to post. And would it really matter anyway? AW
knows who we are, whether we use our real citizen name or not.

I do feel sorry for tourists, they've been wronged. Cute little UPS man
suits, gray words with the cute little " " around their heads. Hands behind
their back looking non-threatening. Innocent to the makings of a mere
pp01.rwx .........yeah, I miss them. : | I enjoy helping them, but not to
be a cit of China.
-------------------------------------
November 15, 1999
[View Quote]

goober king

Oct 3, 2002, 9:59am
Erm, this thread is over 3 yrs old! Check the date lately?

At any rate, I think you're missing the point of tourists. If AWI gave
tourists all the same rights and privileges as citizens, then there'd be
no reason for them to become citizens, and AWI would get no money. In
fact, that's precisely why tourists are in the situation they are now,
(being shut out of most worlds) because too many people were staying as
tourists. The point of being a tourist is so that you can get a feel for
the program and what it's capable of before becoming a citizen so you
can use it to its fullest.

[View Quote]
--
Goober King
It's like making a fully-functional demo that never expires...
robrod at prism.net

yanst

Oct 3, 2002, 2:40pm
The point is tourists can't post here and they can't talk to the cits at
Alpha World GZ. They are forced to enter into China. Although, they can
become citizens in MrBruce's world or other tourist enabled worlds. HELLO,
there is something wrong with the way it is here! Goober King, either you
are one of them and for them, or you are for the freedom of tourists and ppl
in AW. If you like China so well, why don't you pack your bags and move
there. But don't use your voice to bring it to those who don't want it
here. I know how I FEEL when I'm trampled, oppressed in this so called
China and it's a horrible feeling. So go blow your communist tricycle
horn someplace else. Tourists should be allowed back in here, the way it
used to be. Quit being all businessey about it, stop skimming over the real
problem, which is the smell of prison here.

PS This is to whoever: DON'T send another free pizza my way, or alcohol.
Don't send any more free offers, vacation deals, radios or free things my
way. I won't take them, won't eat them, drink them, never will take them.
Some of it stems from this place and it isn't right so stop it! And Leave
My Family Alone!!!!!!!

[View Quote]

kah

Oct 3, 2002, 3:07pm
"yanst" <ayansta at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3d9c72e3 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

><<snipped weird stuff>>

You don't happen to be nuts, do you? What's with all these weird references
to China and communism? Tourists aren't allowed in AW, but they're allowed
in many other worlds, like AWNewbie, AWTeen, Pata, etc. To be able to post
here is a *privilege* only available to registered citizens. Others can
post in public newsgroups like andras.net and kahnews.cjb.net. It does cost
money to run a news-server (especially this one since they keep all the
messages), you know. Nobody's being opressed or trampled upon, take a chill
pill and relax. Some people really don't have a concept of VR existance...

KAH

binarybud

Oct 3, 2002, 3:21pm
Touists can use this list to get around swiftly to other "tourist friendly" worlds....;)
http://www.leomauk.com/TouristWorlds.htm

Leo aka BinaryBud



[View Quote]

yanst

Oct 3, 2002, 3:26pm
Yes, at least one person has been oppressed and trampled on.

The fact that you won't listen to someone saying AW is something different
than your perception, means you aren't willing to believe others could be
having a different experience.

You remind me of someone in my family.


[View Quote]

kah

Oct 3, 2002, 3:38pm
"yanst" <ayansta at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3d9c7de1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Yes, at least one person has been oppressed and trampled on.
>
> The fact that you won't listen to someone saying AW is something
> different than your perception, means you aren't willing to believe
> others could be having a different experience.
>
> You remind me of someone in my family.

Name one person that's been opressed and trampled on. And don't forget to
say *why*. I doubt you'll actually manage to find one that's been truly
trampled upon (in the correct meaning of the word, not your obviously very
loose definition) because tourists can't enter AW and can't post here. I'll
listen to your perception, and I'll try to understand it, but then tell me
about it instead of going completely nuts and ranting like a monkey.

KAH

sw chris

Oct 3, 2002, 5:05pm
Welcome to the world that is capitalism. Ironic that you are calling it
"China". :) The last time I checked, AW was not a democracy.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Oct 3, 2002, 8:52pm
"I agree we shouldn't have to enter Cit Name and password in order to
post. And would it really matter anyway? AW knows who we are,
whether we use our real citizen name or not."

How would AW know who we are? :¬/

As for posting here, is it really appropriate for tourists to post
here? They are welcome to read to get a better idea of what AW's
community is like but until they register they're not officialy part
of the community.

Also, consider this, if tourists could post here, we would get more
'kiddie posts' (eg "**** you all you ******** nee*******
*************..." - the kind of stuff you get from some newbies at the
Gate) and it would be a lot harder for AW to ban people. If only
registered citizens can post then it's a lot more likely that people
who contribute to the newsgroups actually care about AW's community
and not just showing off how many cuss words they can fit in a post.

just in

Oct 4, 2002, 12:54am
Broadway is open to tourists too...

Regards, Justin


[View Quote]

binarybud

Oct 4, 2002, 11:21am
hey I thought it was also, but have not seen it online for a while it's added...sorry 'bout that. :)

thanx for the heads up Just In!


[View Quote]

1  2  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2021. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn