Bots need a more reasonable language filter. (General Discussion)

Bots need a more reasonable language filter. // General Discussion

1  |

ferruccio

Jul 2, 2003, 7:46am
I got ejected from AWGate for saying "prick" because there was a tourist who
was named "prick my finger". then I got teleported back to awnewbie and
said "wow, I was just ejected for saying prick, as in "prick my finger", ans
suddenly, I was ejected from AWNewbie!!! The bots need to seriously lighten
up on what is considered unacceptable language and what is not.

ferruccio

Jul 2, 2003, 7:50am
This would be nice too, have the bots give you the list of words you are not
allowed to say, but of course, they can't tell you the words you can't say,
because they can't say it! Talk about a catch-22!

ryan

Jul 2, 2003, 10:48am
It would be able to whisper it to you. The bot is under universe CT
privileges and wouldn't be able to eject itself I don't think ;)

Ryan

[View Quote]

binarybud

Jul 2, 2003, 12:00pm
Don't be so stupid.....now that you've been ejected...... did you learn anything? Don't say "prick" and you'll get along just fine...lesson learned....no big deal unless you want to make one out of it....:) see how easy that was to resolve? no committees deciding who is right and who is wrong...no debates to decide if "prick" is a good word or bad word...(that was already decided by AWI....remember THEY OWN this software) So basically, try and learn your lessons quicker, and not be such a crybaby about it.

and "prick my finger" should have been warned and ejected if he/she did not change their name....WHY? you ask.....
Because nobody could address this person if they typed their name and the GK would recognize this and ask for the name change.
"prick my finger" was IMO up to no good with this choice of names anyhow.

flame on
Leo :)

[View Quote]

stecloud

Jul 2, 2003, 12:34pm
Its quite annoying when you get ejected for saying a word in a different
context, one that wasn't meant to be offensive. You;ll just have to deal
with it - so many words have ambigous meanings: cock, bastard, prick, pussy
I have all heard being said in a quite innocent manner - and people getting
ejected.

On the other hand its only 5 minutes, deal with it. No one is going to hold
it against you if you come back after saying that word - except for the bot.
You'll just have to be careful :(

- Ste

binarybud

Jul 2, 2003, 12:42pm
hehe exactly Im actually quite a pussycat in real life...... but nobody can tell me that at the Gate....;) lol

[View Quote]

count dracula

Jul 2, 2003, 1:15pm
This is one reason I hate bots, they cannot see the context. If I said " i
skall ha en prick över sig" I would be ejected, and probably have no idea
why. For example I do not recall seeing anywhere when entering the gate that
only some specific languages are allowed. I guess bots could have a list of
"offensive" words that do not have any other meaning that beeing
"offensive", but should definetly not have words that has a "not-offensive"
meaning also.

Drac
binarybud <leo at realPANTStourvision.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3f02e572$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Don't be so stupid.....now that you've been ejected...... did you learn
anything? Don't say "prick" and you'll get along just fine...lesson
learned....no big deal unless you want to make one out of it....:) see
how easy that was to resolve? no committees deciding who is right and who
is wrong...no debates to decide if "prick" is a good word or bad
word...(that was already decided by AWI....remember THEY OWN this software)
So basically, try and learn your lessons quicker, and not be such a crybaby
about it.

> and "prick my finger" should have been warned and ejected if he/she did
not change their name....WHY? you ask.....
> Because nobody could address this person if they typed their name and the
GK would recognize this and ask for the name change.
> "prick my finger" was IMO up to no good with this choice of names anyhow.
>
> flame on
> Leo :)

[View Quote]

ryan

Jul 2, 2003, 4:10pm
Or perhaps we don't need a bot to filter out chat at all, and let the
user determine what words are filtered out by astericks or whatever.
Would make a nifty chat setting. I think that would probably be the best
way to go..since different words offend different people and there is no
way to accomodate everyone ...and AWI can put that list it has in the
defaults and let the user go from there.

Ryan

[View Quote] > This is one reason I hate bots, they cannot see the context. If I said " i
> skall ha en prick över sig" I would be ejected, and probably have no idea
> why. For example I do not recall seeing anywhere when entering the gate that
> only some specific languages are allowed. I guess bots could have a list of
> "offensive" words that do not have any other meaning that beeing
> "offensive", but should definetly not have words that has a "not-offensive"
> meaning also.
>
> Drac
> binarybud <leo at realPANTStourvision.com> kirjoitti
> viestissä:3f02e572$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>

> anything? Don't say "prick" and you'll get along just fine...lesson
> learned....no big deal unless you want to make one out of it....:) see
> how easy that was to resolve? no committees deciding who is right and who
> is wrong...no debates to decide if "prick" is a good word or bad
> word...(that was already decided by AWI....remember THEY OWN this software)
> So basically, try and learn your lessons quicker, and not be such a crybaby
> about it.
>

> not change their name....WHY? you ask.....
>

> GK would recognize this and ask for the name change.
>

> news:3f02a9f1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>

> who
>

> ans
>

> lighten

sw comit

Jul 2, 2003, 4:14pm
Since when was prick a bad word? I assume you'd also get ejected for saying
twit, moron, and idiot? =P

[View Quote]

binarybud

Jul 2, 2003, 4:36pm
If THEY want to AWI can make the use of the word "There" a bad word also.....remember this is their party here.
[View Quote]

ferruccio

Jul 2, 2003, 7:54pm
The CA *does* need some improvements when it comes to language filters ;) A
list of words would help a lot. one person got ejected awhile ago for
saying cockatoo, luckily that problem was fixed.

shred

Jul 3, 2003, 2:11am
Well... only to an extent. When you take into account that the paying citizens are the only source of revenue keeping AW afloat right now, the citizens are the ones who have the final say on these matters. If a lot of people complained about the Customs Aide, it would be either modified or removed.

The thing is, though, that very few people have a problem with the Customs Aide. Granted, it can't read context. It does, however, keep chat clean at the cost of relatively few misfires. Most people who want to chat in a G-rated environment are willing to accept the risk of being wrongly ejected every now and then. After all, it's only five minutes...

[View Quote]

tony m

Jul 3, 2003, 8:28am
Language filtering bots that eject don't necessarily need a filter enhancement, but rather a 3-chance system. This would make the CA issue 3 warnings to offenders, and on the fourth offense it will eject. Perhaps this could be expanded to become incremental-- first eject is 5min, second 10min, etc., all the way up to a permanent block for a lot (more than 50?) of repeat offenses.

[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Jul 3, 2003, 9:26am
Hey everyone. I was PrIcK mY fInGeR at the gate, doing this "test" if you
will. Just to show how GREAT our GKs are! Well, I did this two times. Both
times I got AT LEAST 5 people ejected for saying my name. Both times, the
GKs were wondering WHY everyone was being ejected. I was talking a lot too.
I was never ejected for having the name, or even warned! The GKs were FF (I
forgot the whole name) and icco.
--
-Miek Zimmer
*Mike

[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 3, 2003, 10:35am
Ypu, in fact, that's how I got banned )-:
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 3, 2003, 10:36am
Agreed 100% We should e-mail AW ASAP
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 3, 2003, 10:43am
Yeah, I did a test like that and I ended up being banned, ROFL. I'm never
trying that again.

Anyway, the context of your name wasn't innapropriate, they had no reason to
eject you. However, if you changed your name to "pussy" and said lick me,
there's a guaranteed ejection (-: even though cats lick themselves and other
cats ALL the time.
Whatever.
[View Quote]

stecloud

Jul 3, 2003, 12:41pm
Its not so much a case of context - the GKs should tell people to change the
name, in case anyone gets ejected for saying it. Its hard to refer to
someone only using pronouns afterall.

panther1403

Jul 10, 2003, 11:47am
i think they should use the 7 words you cant say on TV just to keep it
simple

[View Quote]

aw

Jul 10, 2003, 9:51pm
I think people should use common sense and instead of ejecting people for
saying any word, simply add a cuss filter into the client. That way if you
dont want to see it, you dont have to, or to keep children from seeing it.
People cuss for kicks at these worlds, and therefore children are therefore
exposed to the language as it is now, so the bot issue isnt really
effective.

Of course you can argue "people will just type in pr1ck" or something to
dodge the filter. In response, so?? Same happens with the bot. Ultimately
a living breathing person has to moderate the topics in the world anyways
and eject those that talk about unacceptable subjects. I can understand not
wanting people being vulgar and talking about things that might detour
newcomers fromcoming back, however having bots eject on cuss words is simply
silly.

Ox64

Actually, it would be better to make the filter completely client-side.
That way, people can make their own filter lists tailored to their
tastes. If someone uses a word you don't like, simply add it to your list!

[View Quote] > I think people should use common sense and instead of ejecting people for
> saying any word, simply add a cuss filter into the client. That way if you
> dont want to see it, you dont have to, or to keep children from seeing it.
> People cuss for kicks at these worlds, and therefore children are therefore
> exposed to the language as it is now, so the bot issue isnt really
> effective.
>
> Of course you can argue "people will just type in pr1ck" or something to
> dodge the filter. In response, so?? Same happens with the bot. Ultimately
> a living breathing person has to moderate the topics in the world anyways
> and eject those that talk about unacceptable subjects. I can understand not
> wanting people being vulgar and talking about things that might detour
> newcomers fromcoming back, however having bots eject on cuss words is simply
> silly.
>
> Ox64

[View Quote] --
Goober King