Why isn't anyone renewing? (General Discussion)

Why isn't anyone renewing? // General Discussion

1  2  |

chiram seawing

Oct 21, 2002, 7:04pm
Over the past few months I've noticed that lots of people were letting their
cits expire and don't care for AW... and I do mean a LOT... I can name at
least 12 people off the top of my head, not including those that are on the
AWteen NGs...

Anyone think they know why this is happening? I don't use AW so much anymore
but I do check on the NGs to see whats happening...

zeo toxion

Oct 21, 2002, 7:11pm
Becuase its boring as hell. Good job holding 3.4 back for a friggen year heh. Oh well.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

In case you didn't notice, the price of citizenships has gone up
considerably, and many people can't afford it or don't think a
citizenship is worth that much money. People, apparently, have found
something better to do with their lives.

*gasp* You mean such a thing exists?!
robrod at prism.net

I still havent anything usueful to do with my life, im just really pissed
off at AW, and no planning to come back. :)

[View Quote]

lady barbara

Oct 21, 2002, 8:14pm
Ok, as long as the subject was brought up, I need some advice on renewing:

In December, my current citizenship is up for renewal as Lady Barbara (of
Amberlin). My server (Amberlin) will run out at end of April. Yes, I plan
on renewing both, if need be.

Do I renew my current citnum or should I take one of my free citnum's that
came with my server? I want to remain "Lady Barbara" and have that name
rename on my builds. What happens when my server runs out? Do I have to
pay for another year as a citizen or may I use the free ones that came with
my server? I've been told that my builds would revert to <NAC> till I have
my host run some routine to put me back on them.

Thanks in advance for help,
Lady Barbara of Amberlin
aka Barbara Eisner

I might be wrong, but from what I understood, a citizenship that
came with a world cannot be owner of this world, although I heard
where were some (or one?) exceptions.

So you will need to stay on your current world owner ID in order to
keep your world(s) running.

[View Quote]

hal9000

Oct 21, 2002, 9:33pm
Anyone can renew any world (i want to send $1.4million to renew AW, of
course they will take the money and renew it), the ownership of a world
cannot be exchanged from person to person, but it can be transfered to
another citizen account as long as it is under the same person (they do this
so as to not loose their $65 startup fee and so that the original owner
identified by an email address cannot retreive the"lost" password and take
the world back from whoever it was sold to).

The citizenship(s) that come with the world itself cannot be changed (i.e.
you get citnum 123456 and 234567, then you can ONLY renew those citnums with
the world), though I have found from personal experience that this isn't
enforced too much and you could probably renew any citizenship with the
world.

----==========----
Hal9000
Discover Planets
World World

[View Quote]

builderz

Oct 21, 2002, 11:26pm
I have also noticed the same thing and assume that the people who are
not renewing are either bored with AW (or do not have many friends
there) or cannot afford to remain a citizen. Personally, I'll keep
renewing until either a) I die or go bankrupt, b) AW goes under. ;)

-Builderz

[View Quote]

lioness.

Oct 21, 2002, 11:26pm
Hmmmmmmmm.......let's see...... here in the states that would be a choice
of $70 or a month's worth of groceries.... or perhaps in my case money that
might have been spent while on vacation with my family... or perhaps money
that might go towards my little girl's summer activities.... or perhaps
paying one month's electric bill... or maybe go towards a couple of month's
worth of Isp connection .... etc ;-"/

[View Quote]

duskbat

Oct 21, 2002, 11:50pm
I will renew, I have to many builds i would rather not leave and i like to care
take my property.
but it is upsetting to see the numbers in the AW world drop so low. I like to
build and i do it for
me and the community. I just hope that i am not the last one left in aw world.
I do remember
like 2 years ago aw had many active users and builders. Lets home the company
that own this
program can think of something to get ppl to stay and to get new ppl interested
in the community.
I guess for ppl who just chat at Gz its expensive. but for me, an explorer and
builder its worth
the small price, well kinda small price. Is anyone still building in aw? or
do yall feel its just a
chat world now.
Duskbat :))

[View Quote] > Hmmmmmmmm.......let's see...... here in the states that would be a choice
> of $70 or a month's worth of groceries.... or perhaps in my case money that
> might have been spent while on vacation with my family... or perhaps money
> that might go towards my little girl's summer activities.... or perhaps
> paying one month's electric bill... or maybe go towards a couple of month's
> worth of Isp connection .... etc ;-"/

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Oct 22, 2002, 4:16am
Perhaps now some users are demanding a quality service with the new price
rise. I know from beta testing the Sims on line that now that its on open
play testing I see some ex aw members present. Before I think for the small
price aw charged people where acceptable to excuse things, but not now!

Some have moved on to other cheaper Universes, although one I know have
followed aw and put prices up. Resulting in a migrating to the cheaper
Universe.

There is no argument that aw is a business and as such should produce a
profit to remain sustainable for the future, but if the service and quality
is not provided in comparisons with other products people will abandon it
for perhaps a cheaper alternative or a better service.

If people don't renew because of being bored with the product, the product
needs to be re-thought to what it can provide. Perhaps the new alphaworld is
the attempt at providing this? Its all been done before in other products.
At the end of the day its providing a quality product combined with a
quality service that makes the difference.

[View Quote]

bluebean

Oct 22, 2002, 8:28am
hello SWE!

What happend? I had the impression you enjoyed AW very much just a few weeks
ago.
It be a pity and a loss for all if you leave :(

-bluey

"swe" <swe at swe-e.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3db470cd at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I still havent anything usueful to do with my life, im just really pissed
> off at AW, and no planning to come back. :)

[View Quote]

bluebean

Oct 22, 2002, 8:51am
Forget it, I think I know what happened. A pity anyway :(

"bluebean" <bluebean at csi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3db52831$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> hello SWE!
>
> What happend? I had the impression you enjoyed AW very much just a few
weeks
> ago.
> It be a pity and a loss for all if you leave :(
>
> -bluey
>
> "swe" <swe at swe-e.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:3db470cd at server1.Activeworlds.com...
pissed
letting
name
> on

carlbanks

Oct 22, 2002, 12:00pm
Wells Sim Online costs more than AW does. AW is 6 a month and Sims Online is
10 a month.

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Oct 22, 2002, 2:49pm
Not if you sign up to be a play tester its free
[View Quote]

sw comit

Oct 22, 2002, 7:26pm
Syntax here.

Well my cit expired on the 8th and I won't be renewing until this Friday.
Sooo, I'll be back posting on my own account again. :-P

I didn't renew right now just because most of my friends are busy doing
other things right now. I'll just take a break and come back when things
hopefully get hopping again.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

daphne

Oct 22, 2002, 7:37pm
To renew a citizen account, the price is approximately $50 US... New
citizen accounts are what cost $70... :o)

amber waves

Oct 22, 2002, 7:42pm
I'm play testing The Sims Online. It's an absolutely fun and enthralling
game. It's like AW in that you can build your home and chat with other
users, but it's so much more. The games and skills required to earn money
really keep my interest. Once the test period is over I'll be more than
happy to pay $10.00/month for it.

[View Quote]

anduin

Oct 22, 2002, 9:36pm
An identity claiming to be known as "amber waves" <jo.far2 at verizon.net> scribed the following <3db5c637$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com> in general.discussion:

>I'm play testing The Sims Online. It's an absolutely fun and enthralling
>game. It's like AW in that you can build your home and chat with other
>users, but it's so much more. The games and skills required to earn money
>really keep my interest. Once the test period is over I'll be more than
>happy to pay $10.00/month for it.

I've also been wanting to play test Sims Online, but they do not deliver over to Australia yet <sigh>. I dunno if it would truly keep my interests up for too long though, as I've played all the other Sims versions (add-ons etc) and get sick of doing the same thing over and over real quick. Yes, Sims Online is much different, so I've seen. But still, would interest my sister much more, so worth looking into. Maybe when it becomes public release (non-beta) I'll give it a 'try'. But AW will be with me till the day I die... Or if AW goes down before me... AW is a BIG part of my life on and offline.

--
,,,,,
(o o)

lady barbara

Oct 22, 2002, 9:46pm
Wait a minut here! You mean I have to renew my citnum (approx $60)
beginning of December plus later renew my server in April???
(Not to mention the "tourist" thingee.) Then would all my builds retain my
original citnum and name? I had been saving my free citnum that came with
my server to use when my cit expired. But then my builds would be <NAC>
unless some routine was run. Do most people who have had servers in the
past just renew their original citnum? What becomes of the free ones? Are
they new each time the server is renewed? In other words, is it better to
keep renewing the original citnum and then a few months later renew the
server? I'll have to admit it may just be simpler that way.

Lady Barbara

[View Quote]

anduin

Oct 22, 2002, 9:48pm
An identity claiming to be known as "sw comit" <syn at swcity.net> scribed the following <3db5c27a at server1.Activeworlds.com> in general.discussion:

>Syntax here.
>
>Well my cit expired on the 8th and I won't be renewing until this Friday.
>Sooo, I'll be back posting on my own account again. :-P
>
>I didn't renew right now just because most of my friends are busy doing
>other things right now. I'll just take a break and come back when things
>hopefully get hopping again.

Things are always hopping... I guess it depends where you're looking though. Citizen Numbers are still rising really fast, depending on the day there are ups and downs... #'s are up to 3500** now I believe. Registered my little 8 yr old brother an account (and yes, I'm PAYING for it) also. Anyway, we see MANY newbies come and go from AWNewbie and AWSchool, and we see many of those suddenly register and come in cheerfully and go off browsing all the hundreds of public worlds. Whether or not they keep on paying monthly I wouldn't know.

Something I propose is that AWI do not wipe out cits that don't renew, so that if someone doesn't renew for a while because of money problems, they can come back later and keep going. Also, maybe if a cit is expired, when you try to send a telegram it gives you a message, such as "Sorry, but this citizenship has expired"... Something like that, and PPW's don't work.

Anyway, kinda went off track there didn't I?

Hope you come back soon Syntax. We don't know each other very well, but we do know each other, lol. You're a good guy, don't go vanishing from the face of AW. We need our oldies!

--
,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o World: GorSJ (Under Construction) |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

anduin

Oct 22, 2002, 9:50pm
An identity claiming to be known as "daphne" <Daphne at my.activeworlds.com> scribed the following <3db5c50a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com> in general.discussion:

>To renew a citizen account, the price is approximately $50 US... New
>citizen accounts are what cost $70... :o)

Or you pay the 'monthly' fee of $6.95, which happens to be EASIER than paying a huge amount in 1 go.

--
,,,,,
(o o)
/--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------------\
| Anduin (317281) |
| o The Gorean Scribe |
| o http://www.anduin-lothario.com |
| o World: GorSJ (Under Construction) |
\--------------ooO-------Ooo--------------/

wanderer blue

Oct 22, 2002, 10:29pm
[View Quote] If you wait for things to get hopping.. They never will.

D.

rossyboy

Oct 22, 2002, 10:32pm
I have The Sims - if the building in The Sims Online is like the game,
which I think it is, the building is much less flexible than AW's
(though still very flexible)

I have The Sims and two expansion packs... I got bored of them within
a few months, but obviously The Sims Online has many more exciting
features than the games.

[View Quote] >I'm play testing The Sims Online. It's an absolutely fun and enthralling
>game. It's like AW in that you can build your home and chat with other
>users, but it's so much more. The games and skills required to earn money
>really keep my interest. Once the test period is over I'll be more than
>happy to pay $10.00/month for it.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Oct 22, 2002, 10:37pm
Hey Chi are YOU renewing?

by the way you still need to un-block me on AIM hehe

Well, there already has been a discussion about a simiilar
issue, I think it was in Jan or Feb 2002. Someone wanted to
buy a world and use the citizenships that came with the world.
If I remember right, this was not possible back then and just
allowed as an exception.

I think it was no renewal, so might be not 100% comparable.
You'd better ask someone from AW about it, they will be the
only ones who can give a final answer.

The pricing page states :
> Citizenship is required for world purchases
but there's nothing about renewal, so you might have the choice
to use your world citizenships to renew the worlds.

[View Quote]

maki

Oct 22, 2002, 11:50pm
[View Quote] Actually, I find it quite easier to pay most things in one fee rather than
paying tiny little pieces the entire year, like hosting, citizenship
etc...plus with citizenship, you can renew for $49.95 on the website
(current cits) and you save $14 paying annually for a *new* cit at the
$69.95 price.

maki awmaki.com

amber waves

Oct 22, 2002, 11:53pm
The Sims Online is like The Sims, but different because of the fact that
you're playing with other live people. You are your Sim.

Interesting also...no Peacekeepers or Gatekeepers. You merely decide if you
want parental controls when you install.

[View Quote]

tony m

Oct 23, 2002, 12:53am
[View Quote] >[...] Something like that, and PPW's don't work. [...]

It's already been set that way for quite awhile now; you can't access the PPW of an expired cit

Considering that AWI hasn't wiped their citizen database since they
first started charging for citizenships way back when, I don't think
there's any risk of expired cits going <NAC> any time soon. :P

Some things never change...
robrod at prism.net