Something EVERYONE:Should Be Aware Of (General Discussion)

Something EVERYONE:Should Be Aware Of // General Discussion

1  2  |

pc hamster

Mar 13, 2002, 8:05am
Hi everyone:

Just a preface here....The Message you're about to read is a **NOT** a
joke!!! However since it doesn't DIRECTLY affect the ActiveWorld Community
nor does it have ANYTHING whatoever to do with building worlds, it *is*
nonetheless something you should be made aware of.

I have created a series of signs at my build beginning at 5000N 272E which
says the following.....

===== BEGIN PASTED MESSAGE ====
If you love online Radio & TV, then you had better listen to this....

The future of thousands of Internet radio and TV stations are in jeopardy
due to recent actions by the United States
Copyright Office.

The Internet is one of the best things to happen to everyone from radio
listeners and music lovers to news junkies
in this repressive era of media consolidation. The Internet has brought
choice and diversity to the music and information
landscape, a landscape in which previously your choice could now be dictated
by large corporate interests. The recent
royalty rate recommendations by the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel
(CARP), if accepted in their current form, would
likely severely limit or eliminate the majority of the most creative, unique
and independent Internet radio
(and soon-to-be TV) outlets.

While NO ONE is arguing that artists and other copyrights holders should be
fairly compensated for their works,
these draconian recommendations for the reporting and payment of public
performance copyright royalties would make
it nearly impossible for all but the largest media companies to broadcast
music online. Even Clear Channel, with its
1100 stations, would BARELY survive as a webcaster.

If you have an opinion, NOW is the time to express it, and not just to
friends and inside message boards and newsgroups.
Please contact your U.S. Senator and Congressional Representative and the
U.S. Copyright Office and tell them to reject
the CARP proposal recommending rates and terms for webcasting. To write
your representatives in Washington, go to
www.congress.org and simply type in your zip code. That's all there is to
it.

YOU HAVE A VOICE - USE IT!!! LET IT BE HEARD!!!

Tell Washington to SAY NO to The RIAA's money and their money-wielding
lobbyists. Government is SUPPOSED to be BY THE
PEOPLE - FOR THE PEOPLE!!! Not Corporations.

Write TODAY!!! Because if we can't save Internet Radio, we don't stand a
chance of saving yet another medium on the
horizon - Internet Television. TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!! WRITE TODAY!!! Don't
let our stations go silent tomorrow.

====== END PASTED MESSAGE =====

Again - THIS IS **NOT A JOKE!!!! Additionally, contrary to popular belief,
there is *still* time to send comments into the Library Of Congress, which
governs the CARP. You can do so by sending an email to copyinfo at log.gov

Don't send a postal letter due to mail delivery and security concerns.

Additionally, I have gathered a few links for reference purposes. Some mahy
be accessible, while others may not (I don't nor can't guarantee that the
links will work properly ofr are accurate as things change almost on a
daily, if not hourly, basis. The links I have gathered are as follows....

RAIN - Radio & Internet Newsletter -
http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/022102/index.asp

Salon.com -
http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2002/02/20/music_royalties/index.html

United States Copyrighjt Office -
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/carp/webcasting_rates.html

Save The Music - http://www.save-the-music.org/ (May NOT be operational now)

Anti-DMCA Website - http://www.anti.dmca.org/ (Also may NOT be operational
now)

CARP Petition - http://www.petitiononline.com/carp/petition.html (This
petition is a petition to recommend that the CARP Proposal be REJECTED!)

Finally, here are some media links you can use to send email to (Note:
These were only the ones I found and therefore may or may not be the right
department, but do try to use them anyway

MSNBC "Letters To The Editor" section -
http://www.msnbc.com/news/440001.asp?0dm=C201O

CBS News Feedback -
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/feedback/fb_news_form.shtml

ABC World News Tonight -
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsTonight/WNT_newemail_form.html

Fox News Channel - newswatch at foxnews.com

Also, don't forget to utilize the website of your local TV station as well.

Well....That's all the damage I care to do. You can hurl flames, cast iron
skillets or anything else at me now for posting this, but I think you'll be
thankful I did later on.

Cheers for now my (still hopefully) friends.... :-)

Patrick Cook
Mayor of Hamsterville (and devoted Live365 Broadcaster)
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

well i live in libya :) no US copyright law can affect me :) muahhahahaha

[View Quote]

robbie

Mar 13, 2002, 2:35pm
UK here *flips off America*

dont u just feel sorry for all those poor american companies now stuck will
those problems? hell i can do what i want in libya, no law against computer
crimes(not that i know of anyway) guess, not enough people here do anything
bad on computers, for them to even bother to place a law :)
[View Quote]

binarybud

Mar 13, 2002, 3:48pm
well ignorance is bliss....:)

another nice solution: if they pass it, it'll only be valid in the US, hop
over the pond over to Europe and host your radio station here instead,
better laws on this sorta stuff :-))

KAH

dion

Mar 13, 2002, 4:29pm
If you live in Libya and you hack a computer server in the United States, it
is considered an international crime and if they want, the United States can
go right in and pluck you out of your country. I believe that there is an
international treaty signed by all countries that states that if you do
something illegal in another country, you can be taken from your country to
face trial in the country that the crime was commited in. Of course, with
the cost of going over there just to take you, you'd have to do something
pretty costly to someone else.

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 13, 2002, 4:30pm
All those webcasters would move their servers to a different country and all
would be well again. So long as the server that hosts your webcast is in a
different country, you are ok ;-)

[View Quote]

the joker ss o

Mar 13, 2002, 5:23pm
sure, bin laden organized the 9/11 thing , he still walkks around somehwere

"dion" <GovDion at subdimension.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c8f9a87$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> If you live in Libya and you hack a computer server in the United States,
it
> is considered an international crime and if they want, the United States
can
> go right in and pluck you out of your country. I believe that there is an
> international treaty signed by all countries that states that if you do
> something illegal in another country, you can be taken from your country
> face trial in the country that the crime was commited in. Of course, with
> the cost of going over there just to take you, you'd have to do something
> pretty costly to someone else.

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 13, 2002, 5:45pm
LOL, I didn't say we would, I said we could :-P

And my theory has been (for a few weeks) that Bin Laden was killed ine one
of those missiles that went into a cave but we haven't been able to find his
body yet. Infact, I'm pretty sure that Bin Laden's fate won't be known for a
long time. But Al Queda (however that's spelt) will soon be nothing but a
few running ducks.

You are quite correct, but international copyright law can. =P

SW Chris

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Mar 13, 2002, 11:17pm
I've been getting questions if the AW TV stations are gunna be gone because
of this. Well, Virtual TV is a radio station based in AW and is not
streaming media.. it is only "rotating pictures" so VTV is still in business
no matter what. if you don't know what VTV is check out
http://virtual-inc.cjb.net/tv.

AlexTheMartian

[View Quote]

kellee

Mar 13, 2002, 11:44pm
I just have one question and I know that I'll get yelled at....but so what?
I just cant understand why ppl use their computers to listen to radio or
play music. It is totally beyond me why you just dont turn a REAL radio on
and not slow down your PC with noise thats not even good quality.

[View Quote] *snipped*

silenced

Mar 14, 2002, 1:28am
Well if you play MP3 it's of better quality then what you'll hear on a
radio.. most of the time anyways. But then there's always CD's, which
computers play quite well. (no need to buy a new system)

-Silenced

[View Quote]

count dracula

Mar 14, 2002, 2:27am
Well,for some ppl the internet can open new doors to listen to a radio..if I
open up the "normal" radio,I got a selection on about 6 stations,of which 3
are pretty similiar.
The thing I do not understand in this matter is;why are music companies
worried that it would sell less records if the radio stations play the
music? Atleast for me it works the other way around,I hear something I like
on the radio,then I go out and buy the record.It used to be so that,the more
your music was played on radio,the more was the record sold.

Drac

kellee <kellee at my.activeworlds.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3c900076 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I just have one question and I know that I'll get yelled at....but so
what?
> I just cant understand why ppl use their computers to listen to radio or
> play music. It is totally beyond me why you just dont turn a REAL radio on
> and not slow down your PC with noise thats not even good quality.

[View Quote]

chickengurl

Mar 14, 2002, 9:41am
Congress doesn't care about this, honestly.

Do you think that the RIAA isn't paying off Judges and the Gov't left and
right? Honestly, the one with the most money will win. If you don't support
the cause then fine, enter your zip cose into some site that will probably
get nothing more than a few chuckles. What, God (Lucian) proposes is that we
should fund companies that do not support such ludicrous ideas.

Which is a better idea, it would seem...than running around signing
petitions and not taking any real action...

[View Quote]

icey

Mar 14, 2002, 11:20am
I think it is to avoid purchasing a radio set, a CD player, a TV set, ...and
maybe who knows, tomorrow we'll avoid even to buy the coffee
machine...Actually I prefer one machine that can manage anything...than many
for a specific use. But this is only my opinion of course
icey

[View Quote] > I just have one question and I know that I'll get yelled at....but so what?
> I just cant understand why ppl use their computers to listen to radio or
> play music. It is totally beyond me why you just dont turn a REAL radio on
> and not slow down your PC with noise thats not even good quality.

[View Quote]

bobhetherington

Mar 14, 2002, 12:21pm
I'll try not shout kellee but following your argument through, its totally
beyond you why we just dont cancel our subscriptions to AW and turn our REAL
lives on and not slow down our PCs with pictures that are not even good
quality. We chose to access AW because it allows us to do things we cannot
do in the real world albeit in a lower resolution. It allows us to
communicate with ppl all over the world. Netradio is not dissimilar. I'm in
the UK and REAL radio gives me access to classical and commercial pop music.
My tastes however are rather more cosmopolitan and I find music from all
genres on netradio not REAL radio.
Another misconception is that netradio is 100% music. There are a lot of
news stations out there and I've found them to give much more in depth
coverage than commercial TV or REAL radio with links to related websites.
Finally there are the special interest stations. If you want to know what
Greenpeace is up to this month or if you want a program about 3d art, I'm
sure you will find net radio a better source than REAL radio. Yes if net
radio was just 'Pap Music' streamed at 11khz mono, its demise would be no
great loss but it is much more than that.

To my friends in Europe who think this is merely a local US problem, think
again. If this legislation is enforced most European stations will disappear
too. I'm not sure what we can do other than support PC Hamster, whom I thank
for bringing this to our attention. Maybe we can lobby our politicians and
try bring pressure on the US government to stop this luddite squandering of
a massive resource. No wonder dot coms are going bankrupt with such
frequency when governments are strangling them at birth.

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 14, 2002, 12:53pm
Doesn't slow down my computer :-P

Your computer is apparently an uber puter. =)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 14, 2002, 8:05pm
.... you could buy all the parts i have for under $400

[View Quote]

shorah

Mar 14, 2002, 8:07pm
Bow to Lucian!
For peace! For prosperity!

--
Shorah
115213

lol, see my point? :D. and i dont hack anyway, thats sad, but if it comes to
copyright issues, then screw the holders :)

u do relise that bin laden had a billion or 2? hiding from u wont be that
hard :) really doubt hes dead.

well this isnt international, its USinal :)

[View Quote]

silenced

Mar 14, 2002, 8:58pm
But wait, the world adopts the US culture. So if we do something to limit
the exchange of it, it's going to effect the rest of the world. Hey doing
this might withdraw some of our values from your blessed country and the
rest of the world, happier?

-Silenced

[View Quote] > Panel
creative,
> should
> public
and
> write
> is
money-wielding
> stand
TODAY!!!
> copyinfo at log.gov
concerns.
> Some
that
> operational
(This
> REJECTED!)
(Note:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsTonight/WNT_newemail_form.html
as
cast
> you'll

dion

Mar 14, 2002, 9:47pm
no matter how much money you have, how does he just run out of a cave and
into some town with money fallin outta his pockets. Where does he find
someone that is willing to take him in? most of those places (except for big
cities) money means nothing.

Um... yeah.... email me if you want me to explain it to you.

SW Chris

then how do you run 20 programs at once? It doesn't work! It's impossible!
It hasn't worked on any computer I've tried! =P

SW Chris

[View Quote]

dion

Mar 15, 2002, 6:34pm
lol.

900mhz Duron Processor
3dfx Voodoo3 graphics card
256MB of SD RAM
17" VGA Monitor
Some crap TV card
Some crap sound card
40x CDR Drive

Only thing that effects the speed and bandwidth is RAM and processor. 900mhz
Duron processor goes for about $100 now and 256MB of RAM you could get for
$50.