shorah // User Search

1  |

Activeworlds Utility 1.10 with dynamic IP ejection

Mar 17, 2002, 5:55am
Remember the bot help pages you commissioned me to write, which you used for
a couple months and then randomly removed and replaced with the nearly two
year old version that you wrote? Maybe you should take into consideration
the time and effort that was put into those help files, which are now
obsolete because you didn't use what you asked someone to spend time making.
If you don't want help, don't ask for it and keep writing your own help
files :)

Shorah
115213

On 03-01-2002 11:56, in article 3c349b52$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com, "brant"
<awteen at shoemakervillage.org> scribbled:

> I'd like to announce the release of the brand new Activeworlds Utility 1.10,
> an update to the previously released Activeworlds Utility 1.03. New users
> can download the entire program at
> http://www.shoemakervillage.org/programs.html, while existing users can
> simply run their existing versions and upgrade. If your upgrade utility
> stops functioning for 10 minutes or more, then simply download the full
> updated version.
>
> Most of this update is related to stability. Disconnection handling is now
> enabled so that the bots will automatically reconnect unless the
> disconnection is the result of a privilege password change. There are some
> speed increases and GUI improvements. Users of a Locator Bot can now
> "visit" other avatars using 3.2's teleportation capabilities. Finally, and
> most importantly, this version offers something that was never before
> available: ejection by citizen number, regardless of IP address. Citizens
> with eject in worlds can now set up a continuous patrol that will keep
> problematic citizens out of your world until you allow them to reenter.
>
> However, I also spent 10-15 hours programming several new features that deal
> with tourist property, all of which are now obsolete and I had to spend more
> time removing from the program before I released it. This time could have
> been much better spent on a variety of other activities instead of
> programming software that is now useless. In light of these recent events,
> I've decided to take a "watch and wait" stance, meaning that I've suspended
> all development of all of my software until the current situation
> stabilizes. Obviously, AW is in a grave situation right now to raise prices
> so high, and whether people will still be around to use bots or whether
> these bots will even be useful at all if AW folds in a year remains to be
> seen. This doesn't mean that I'm going to stop all my activities FOREVER
> and leave AW immediately like a lot of the overreacting citizens are
> preaching now; it just means that I want to be sure that my programs will be
> useful in the future before improving them further. I'm still going to help
> out with the other organizations in which I'm involved, so I'm not
> disappearing any time soon.
>
> I've also written some new help files at
> http://www.shoemakervillage.org/help that are long overdue and should help
> with most if not all of the questions I'm receiving regarding the program.
> Comments about the Utility are welcome.

New bot by Tacoguy

Apr 28, 2002, 4:51am
"It ... is quite secure."
*laugh*

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Bot request.

May 10, 2002, 9:48pm
A world owner who wants to annoy their visitors.

Shorah

[View Quote]

Something EVERYONE:Should Be Aware Of

Mar 14, 2002, 8:07pm
Bow to Lucian!
For peace! For prosperity!

--
Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

rock.exe?

Apr 25, 2002, 1:31am
This is the same virus that Quiz Bot (OW Support) sent information about to
the teamies in OuterWorlds. Here's the message with more information about
it:

From: "Quiz Bot (NTL)"
Subject: Virus Info, Please Read : IMPORTANT !!!!!!
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:48:49 +0100

Hello all,
Sorry for the necessity of sending this out, but due to recent events,
Likeness has asked me to send it you all.

There is very nasty email worm doing the rounds known as KLEZ
There are several variants out there each with distinct behaviours, subject
lines etc
and some also drop nasty viruses eg ELKERN as part of their payload

More info can be found here
http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/klez.shtml

That link also contains at the foot of the page a link to a removal tool,
which includes a readme file.

Please read it in full and familiarise your self with the possible subject
lines, and attached filenames.
If you see any of these subject lines in your email, even from somebody you
know, treat it as highly contagious and radioactive !!!!!! and delete at
once.

Better still update your AV tools to the latest dat files and keep them
uptodate, and for those that havent got an AV product try
http://www.grisoft.com its free.

Please be aware that no matter how good your AV protection there is always a
window of opportunity between a total brand spanking new virus being
released upon the internet and the AV companies coming up with detection and
or fixes/removals. So there is no substitution for practising good old
fashioned safe sex for pc's.

That means not using preview windows, not opening suspicious enticing emails
even those apparantly from people you know until you've done some
investigation, such as viewing details or source to examine for tell tale
clues you can use in an AV vendors database search, and querying the
apparant sender to test the veracity of the email before opening it.

Regards and Hope this helps slow the spreading through OW
Quiz Bot

Support Team Member

---
Obviously not something you want to be opening ;-)

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Bot request.

May 10, 2002, 9:48pm
A world owner who wants to annoy their visitors.

Shorah

[View Quote]

Obliterating Non Existant Folders in XP

Jun 22, 2002, 4:43pm
Apple's FreeBSD distribution runs everything *I* need to run, including AW
:)

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Annoying bug

Mar 10, 2002, 5:58am
This problem was isolated by running Windows XP on a clean test environment
with Active Worlds 3.2. After about 4 hours, AW accessed memory areas that
were not related to the application causing a range of unusual problems. A
few of the problems that occur are icon swapping with other active
applications with shortcuts, DirectX illegal accesses, and corruption to
chat.txt. The chat log file can commonly capture memory dumps during a fault
as in the following example directly from a chat log file:

*áØÿÿÿL o w B a t t e r y A l a r m ÿÿÿnk àÛþíGÁ H
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ È  ÿÿÿÿ  $ èZ¿ DeviceDisconnectØÿÿÿD e v i
c e D i s c o n n e c t Øÿÿÿvk " È   K DispFileNamen t Øÿÿÿ at m m
s y s . c p l , - 5 8 2 9 l ÿÿÿnk àÛþíGÁ H ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
 ÿÿÿÿ  2
DeviceFail èÿÿÿvk 2 h
 ,áÈÿÿÿD e v i c e F a i l e d t o C o n n e c t ,áØÿÿÿvk "
  s DispFileNamea g Øÿÿÿ at

That exerpt seems to be related to the memory field of explorer.exe in
regards to the Power Options control panel. Another:

. " " T - ~  > o ¡ Y ¥ £ ¤ © §
« ! ¯ ­ ® ³ ± ² · µ ¶ » ¹ º ¿ ½ ¾ Ã
Â Ç Å Æ $ 1 2 m j k # 9 : G J K " [ \
$ 2 3 # : ; G K L " \ ] $ 0 1 # ; < G
L M " ] ^ $ / 0 # < = G M N " ^ _ $ .
/ # = > G N O " _ ` $ - . # > ? G O P
" ` a $ , - # ? at G P Q " a b $ + , #
at A G Q R " b c $ * + # A B G R S " c
d $ ) * # B C G S T " d e $ ( ) # C D
G T U " e f $ ' ( # D E G U V " f g $
& ' # E F X G V " g h $ % & # 6 7 " h
i ÿ  ÿÿ  ( ÿÿ

Not quite sure what that could be from, but it was repeated several times.
Of note is the "hi" near the bottom of the line.

Roland was able to confirm that these lines were not from Active Worlds, but
of other applications' memory fields that it was accessing at the time of
writing to the file. The memory data was written instead of the chat when a
crash was initiated during the write. I'll be concluding testing soon and
send a complete report to Roland for analysis ;-)

Shorah
115213

Annoying bug

Mar 10, 2002, 5:59am
I wouldn't suggest telling people that AW is a virus.

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Report

Apr 9, 2002, 10:04pm
Vanguard Enterprises, Inc. purchased Circle of Fire Studios in a stock-based
transaction, and at the same time renamed itself. They didn't buy Vanguard
but Vanguard did not have any current business transactions ongoing or a
headquarters, thereby becoming a shell company that is designed to help
other companies become incorporated. I'm surprised such an avid news
reporter would be misinformed. If I have something wrong then do tell =)

Shorah
115213

On 07-04-2002 19:23, in article 3CB0D1D4.40609 at acsu.buffalo.edu, "goober
king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> communicated to the world:

> No, that was just the company that they bought. Circle of Fire Studios
> (as AWC was called back then) bought Vanguard Enterprises so that they
> could become incorporated and changed their name to "ActiveWorlds.com, Inc."

[View Quote]

A1CTtourist5 Videos

Apr 28, 2002, 4:49am
The format is called RealVideo format, as opposed to RealAudio - not RealOne
or RealPlayer as you seem to think. RealPlayer is the player that plays
content in RealVideo or RealAudio format on Macintosh and Unix/Linux.
RealOne is the player that plays content in RealVideo or RealAudio format on
Windows. RealVideo format must be created using the proprietary utility from
RealNetworks called RealSystem Producer. In terms of quality and size, the
standard video compression formats are assess as such:

DivX (Highest Size)
- Lower quality settings produce good quality as well, but size remains
large.
QuickTime (Medium Size)
- Lower quality settings produce poor quality but good colour matching.
RealVideo (Fair Quality, Small Size)
- Lower quality settings cause ghosting of image but bandwidth is not
abused.
Windows Media (Fair Quality, Medium Size)
- Lower quality settings cause considerable amounts of blurring and
bandwidth is monopolised.

Of note is that Windows Media format is, contrary to popular belief,
viewable on other platforms besides Windows.

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Flawed Logic?

May 7, 2002, 7:29pm
Not possible, unless Aladdin made it.... StuffIt is proprietary unlike ZIP.

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

3.3 Feature list

May 10, 2002, 9:46pm
You seemed so optimistic in January, I'm disappointed :(

Shorah

[View Quote]

scam email

Jun 21, 2002, 11:18am
Lmao, it's a gif... You are so paranoid :)

Shorah

On 20-06-2002 02:21, in article 3d112e10 at server1.Activeworlds.com, "the
derek" <imthederek at yahoo.com> said:

> i dunno what the attachment is DO NOT OPEN IT (i didnt add it there
> intentionally so i suggest you dont open it)
[View Quote]

Hosting & Stuff (VR RADIO TOO)... all cheap...can be paid online monthly!

Jun 22, 2002, 12:24am
He's using doteasy.com, a notorious free spam-based website host. Since the
main page isn't even hosted on his own doteasy account
(dynamite-software-hosting.com/zenith), it makes me wonder what kind of
possible scam this is. From what I understand,
"dynamite-software-hosting.com" is owned by the same company that was
distributing a resource-cracked version of the 3.1 AWLD browser. The
purchasing page is a mess with incorrect pricing and inaccurate product
descriptions.

I wouldn't give this person my money... O.o

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

UK Teens Reunion

Jun 22, 2002, 4:42pm
Paint the white house black! :o

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Zenith Studios & Dynamite Software

Jun 22, 2002, 4:41pm
I was referring to Cyberspace3D, not Chatzone3D. I don't know the extent of
the relation, but the programmers of both applications are the same.
Cyberspace3D was allegedly based on Active Worlds, but 'altered enough that
it is not illegal'. If you want to find out more, you probably should ask
him, as I do not know anything further. I haven't been spreading any
rumours, contrary to what you may believe. You have the right to believe
what ever you want :)

I'm still trying to figure out why there needs to be yet another aw-related
hosting company, aren't there enough of them already?

Shorah
115213

[View Quote]

Zenith Studios & Dynamite Software

Jun 22, 2002, 6:57pm
Oh really? Maybe this would be a good time to file a PK report about the
nearly ten telegrams and numerous joins you've sent to me. I don't
appreciate harassment, you're just making yourself look even worse :(

Shorah
115213

[View Quote] >

[NG Survivor 2] 1st to go.../2nd week challenge

Jul 11, 2002, 8:00pm
Dear Diary:

Let's strip to a swimming costume and cover ourselves with Velcro© full-body
outfits and see how many people can jump onto an inflated wall covered in
more Velcro©! Sound like fun, eh!? Did I mention it's 98™F outside and it's
pouring down rain? That's what I thought too, which explains why eight
minutes of 'fun in the sun' was enough to scare me back into the hostel with
my trusty titanium notebook. Why Texas!?.. There must be a better place for
these pointless technology seminars *boggle*

A quick walk around the atrium revealed hundreds of Ethernet vantage points
at my disposal. A quick click there, and I was back on .NET Messenger.
Gandalf, perhaps more thoughtfully concerned than is humanly safe, was quick
to inquire on my participation in the 'game'.
"What happened to Newsgroup Survivor?"
"*gasp*, did something happen?"
"Hell no!"
"Then what are you getting at?"
"Why haven't you been in the world?"
"Wait.. Weren't we talking about NEWSGROUP survivor? Newsgroups can't be
read in AW last time I checked, and AW doesn't load up in a newsreader."
"But!"
"Butt!!"
"I pass on grass all the time."
"Butttttt!!!"
"Help with your butt? Oh, help with my butt? :)"
"...ok, but only if you can figure out of how to recompile AW to run on my
PowerPC first."
Gandalf - Forever the Magic Man may not respond because he or she appears to
be Offline.

A clever fellow who will remain anonymous was able to crack the case. For
the real proof of Gandalf's intentions in his last statement, see
http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=humannews&StoryID=1180971.
That's right, Gandalf is really a Welsh fortune teller. You heard it here
first, folks. *hugs gandalf* Ooohhh soft! Are you sure that you really
wanted me to write this diary entry?

Shorah

Disclaimer: Chat logs have been paraphrased, and I don't intend to hurt
anyone's feelings ;)
On 08-07-2002 16:22, in article 3d29ae18 at server1.Activeworlds.com,
"nornny11" <Nornny1 at attbi.com> said:

> [...]
>

> The first person voted off NG Survivor 2.....
>

> ....pixelot. *tense council music climax*
>

> pixelot, please hand me your torch. I'm very sorry, but the tribe has
> spoken. *extinguishes flame*
>

> Okay, pixelot, please reply with your Final Words. :) Just
> give us a paragraph or two on the game and anything else you want to talk
> about regarding it, how you played, messages for your remaining castmates,
> whatever. Unfortunately, I'd also post a little transcript on the
> post-council interview if we had a live one this week, but maybe we'll start
> it next week. :))
>
> Survivors, write away in your diaries. :) I'll be in the mood to update
> tommorow. :)
>
> Up for this week, FLAMES, FLAMES, AND MORE FLAMES! :) And a very important
> secret message.
>
> So let's just get straight to the flames.
>

> EVERYONE, from now on, every week, there will be a weekly web challenge.
> Viewers of the first season will know what this is, but for those who don't,
> a weekly web challenge is pretty much self explanatory. I give everyone an
> url to a free online game and whoever wants to plays it for the week, trying
> to get the highest score possible. When you get the highest score you can
> get, or when you're just plain bored, take a printscreen or snapshot of your
> score, and send the picture to me at nornny1 at attbi.com. The highest scorer
> out of EVERYONE that plays will get a free AW tee-shirt. ::)) You don't have
> to be a contestant to play, you just have to be willing to play it. :)
>
> Survivors, however, are playing for more than that. This time around, each
> web challenge will give the winning tribe more objects for their camp.
>
> To the winning tribe this week, the camp will receive 6 pots, 1 flame, and 1
> firewood. Okay, onto the game.
>
> Log onto
> http://looneytunes.warnerbros.com/web/games/games_display.jsp?id=lt_games_ga
> me_1 and play the Toon Marooned: Protect the Fire. :) The highest scorer out
> of everyone that plays will receive an AW tee shirt, AND get to pick which
> tribe will get the prizes. If a contestant wins, the prizes go to his/her
> tribe. :)
>
> You have until THURSDAY to send me your screenshot. :) You can ONLY submit
> ONE SCREENSHOT to me. If you send in more, I will only take your first score
> that you submitted. Good luck survivors and non-survivors. :) And go protect
> those flames!
>

> The website will be updated with all the diaries up til this point, the
> council results, this update, and much much more! So keep an eye out on it
> within the next few hours. :)
>
> --
> From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:
>
> "Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
> and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
> nothing! What a talent!"

[NG Survivor 2] 1st to go.../2nd week challenge

Jul 11, 2002, 8:10pm
Microsoft Entourage's 'auto snipping' all posts to 6k seems to have failed
me again, I can't believe Microsoft would let me down like that *grin*

Shorah

WORLD & BOT HOST

Jul 21, 2002, 8:42pm
You run your hosting service on a 56k? I knew it! LOL
*sigh*

Shorah

[View Quote]

Concerning The Game

Oct 23, 2002, 10:43am
E-mail: dashenterprises1 at aol.com

ack :o

Shorah

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Dec 17, 2002, 5:07pm
I've never been in favour of banning words that are offensive in only a
slang context - the only reason they are offensive is because someone used
the word incorrectly too many times. If a word has a valid definition, that
is what you should think of first. Only a contextual analysis would be able
to tell whether it was used in a derogatory sense. Nevertheless, it's the
world owners' perogative to ascertain what should garner approval, so they
can do what ever they want.

From the Customs Aide command list, here is the list of banned words. Do not
scroll down if you don't want to read them :o

The standard list includes some commonly used vulgar English slang terms.
Words with * before them indicate that they are ejected wherever they occur.
For example "fuckoff" will will resort in ejection where as "cucumber" will
not. The standard list includes:

*asshole
prick
bitch