No more copy/paste action commands? (Community)

No more copy/paste action commands? // Community

1  |

lara

Apr 23, 2003, 11:39pm
I was pleased with 3.4.... until Build 480. The greyed-out Object Properties window on other people's builds does not allow us to copy action commands off other's builds in Alphaworld. I hope other Alphaworld builders who have always liked the convenience of copy/pasting complex commands will politely (I'm having a really hard time being polite about *this* change) ask AWI to fix this back the way it was.

Lara

[View Quote] I agree. I'm forwarding this too the beta newsgroup. If anything, it should be made
an option for world owners to decide upon.

--Bowen--

dion

Apr 23, 2003, 11:55pm
Agreed. I often copy + paste object names when I am trying to remember 2 or
3 objects at a time while going between an object yard and my building area.

-Dion

[View Quote] Lara

lara

Apr 24, 2003, 12:05am
Well, I have create texture egg on my face. :-) I was at Alphaworld gz talking about this. A citizen named R i c h a r d kindly told me how to get the Object Prop window active again, in Beta build 480. Just press Insert and the grey turns to friendly white again. Thank goodness....and thanks, R i c h a r d :)

Lara

[View Quote]

the joker ss

Apr 24, 2003, 12:06am
this was changed so ppl couldnt select a bunch of objects , and move those
, and go through them , before that were put back . ( for example the newaw
prison ) .

i agree that this was done , but ...

if object selection is off , no one can right clik objects if they dont have
build rights , if they have build rights , they can right clik all objects
, but only his own property wont be greyed out .

if we leave this option as it is , then object selection should be enabled
in newaw , so ppl still can build , and they cant do the object move trick
in the prison .

now object selection is on , its the same thig as above , but also plp with
no build rights can right clik objects , but they are greyed out , if it
isnt their own property , i think everyone wants the old system back . where
you can right clik all objects , and they arent greyed out , even if it isnt
your property . public building wolrds need this badly .

dion

Apr 24, 2003, 12:32am
Why don't they not make the boxes grayed out but don't allow people to move
the objects or modify the text (just select it)

-Dion

[View Quote] i agree that this was done , but ...

if object selection is off , no one can right clik objects if they dont have
build rights , if they have build rights , they can right clik all objects
, but only his own property wont be greyed out .

if we leave this option as it is , then object selection should be enabled
in newaw , so ppl still can build , and they cant do the object move trick
in the prison .

now object selection is on , its the same thig as above , but also plp with
no build rights can right clik objects , but they are greyed out , if it
isnt their own property , i think everyone wants the old system back . where
you can right clik all objects , and they arent greyed out , even if it isnt
your property . public building wolrds need this badly .

wing

Apr 24, 2003, 12:33am
Yes, but that's still one more keypress (Not to mention the added stress on
the server and all involved bandwidths involved in telling you that your
newly created object can't go there, and the spamming of your build window
with "You cannot encroach into another person's property" and whatnot)

It really needs to be a world option.

Apr 24, 2003, 2:15am
[View Quote] It's really not an issue to add a new state instead of just re-using the "you don't
have build rights" one. Make a special case just for the no moving objects that
aren't yours with non-read only edit boxes. (it's not that hard in theory, I've yet
to see how they implemented it though).

--Bowen--

pc hamster

Apr 24, 2003, 5:05am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] [snip...]

You can't move, modify or delete objects that don't belong to you (unless
they're labeled as <Tourist> ) anyway because of Building Inspector, so
what's the point in greying out the box in the first place??

Put it back the way it was...

Cheers for now & 73 :-)

Patrick Cook (e.g. PC Hamster)
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at attbi.com
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

pc hamster

Apr 24, 2003, 5:09am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Again, I ask WHAT IS THE POINT??? You can't move or delete stuff which
belongs to another cit or NAC build in the first place.

Perhaps Building Inspector needs to be upgraded and made backwards
compatible??

Patrick

pc hamster

Apr 24, 2003, 5:16am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] I agree. I mean if we were talking about AWGate or another world like....oh
say....Broadway World, not only can you not move, modify or delete stuff
there, but you also can't *build* unless you have special permission. Seems
kinda pointless to me. Building Inspector serves this purpose on AlphaWorld
well if ya ask me (and he's almost ALWAYS on his toes too as Wing kindly
pointed out).

Just my opinion....

Patrick Cook (e.g. PC Hamster)
Mayor - City of Hamsterville
pchamster at attbi.com
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

dion

Apr 24, 2003, 5:43am
But it is done locally for a few moments before the world server determines
if it is OK, allowing someone to get out of something like a jail cell in
worlds that don't give shift.

[View Quote] [View Quote] [snip...]

pchamster at attbi.com
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

goober king

Apr 24, 2003, 9:46am
Not very good at paying attention, are you Hamster? :P

As Joker (sort of) articulated, the original line of thinking behind
disabling the OP box for objects that you do not own was that this would
prevent people from being able to move objects out of their way
temporarily. Since there's a delay between the time you move an object
and the time the server checks the object and moves it back, people
could simply move objects out of the way and cheat in mazes or games or
escape a prison.

Unfortunately, a side effect of disabling the OP box is that you also
disable the text boxes, so people can't copy/paste the text that is put
in them. What *should* happen for other people's objects is that it only
disables the action icons (except Duplicate) and the keyboard shortcuts
associated with them. But, I guess that involved too much coding rather
than saying "just disable the whole thing." :P

Anal Attentive
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

dion

Apr 24, 2003, 12:49pm
Well, that wouldn't work either. Someone could put solid off for an object
in order to go through it.

-Dion

[View Quote] As Joker (sort of) articulated, the original line of thinking behind

gooberking at utn.cjb.net

[View Quote] As I said, it's simply just writing a new state instead of associating it with the
"build or not-build" ones currently. Maybe a "build- but not editable" Which means
it would allow you to copy and paste and insert all you want, except it won't send
data to the server if you type something in.

--Bowen--

john

Apr 24, 2003, 2:55pm
Just make it optional world feature

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Apr 24, 2003, 8:07pm
if they dont want people to get out of the jail and simular stuff then they
should only grey out the buttons and not the text boxes, so we can still
copy&paste but moving and deleting other people's property is still not
possible.

[View Quote]

alexthemartian

Apr 24, 2003, 8:11pm
along with that they should also grey out the moves and delete from the menu
on top of object dialog and disable move and delete keyboard commands for
other peoples build

[View Quote]

just in

Apr 25, 2003, 12:45am
Like others have said, I think unowned objects should have their fields
greyed out, but you should still be able to copy the text in their fields.
You should also be able to copy an object built by someone else (for seeding
purposes).

trivia... Broadway is a public build world with registry in place just
like Alpha World. The difference is that all the ground is covered and you
need to ask for a building area to be uncovered for you.

~ Justin

[View Quote]

calhoun

Apr 25, 2003, 5:00am
i dont like that either you can always copy their objects then copy the
action/description

Apr 25, 2003, 8:47am
"just in" <anon at no.spam..com> wrote in
news:3ea8a162 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Like others have said, I think unowned objects should have their
> fields greyed out, but you should still be able to copy the text in
> their fields. You should also be able to copy an object built by
> someone else (for seeding purposes).

Copying still works, and can be used as workaround for get the action and
description lines in worlds where you have build.

KAH

defiance

May 6, 2003, 2:20am
The owner's cit number is still greyed out in the object properties box.

[View Quote]

defiance

May 6, 2003, 2:22am
grrrrr wrong ng..