ananas // User Search

1  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  57  |

New ejection...

Feb 27, 2001, 10:49pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------987DC24652B0D44E22E36316

A web site owner with scripting can get your IP without beeing connected
to you.
Many AW world owners are web site owners, either for their web window or
for the object path.
Even a tourist can get your IP ("bump url" or "create picture" while
you're there), he just needs a web site with scripting enabled. No
direct connect needed.
Trying to hide your IP can work, but not with a direct internet connect.

xero schrieb:

> I didn't mention websites, I know you can get an IP from a website, lol, php
> and all thats simple, I didn't mention that so how is it wrong? lol AIM
> maybe you can get an IP from atleast wing says..but I have never been able
> to get an IP unless it was direct connected..then its very simple to use
> netstat, other wise all messages are through the server..and I am pretty
> sure about that.
[View Quote] begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------987DC24652B0D44E22E36316--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 17, 2001, 10:32pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------35F12672BBFEB8F9F9E1555D

Aren't the RW libraries just automated imports of the DLL functions?
What about using "LoadLibrary()" in an own module instead? That should
work if you add an underscore in front of the function name, that's how
MS exports __stdcall functions.
That works fine in Watcom C and should work with Borland too I think.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------35F12672BBFEB8F9F9E1555D--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 18, 2001, 1:54pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------F360A4DA24AF28E081A2DCF2

So Linux is a hackers system? I just ported some windows DLLs and test
environment to AIX and Unix (shared libs) as my customer wanted to have
the things on a reliable OS - it is an insurance company and I don't
think they will use their Linux for hacking.

I will not write here what I think about most newer microsoft products
but I would like to have OpenGL support to be able to run AW on my
quite(!) reliable (after 5 patches) NT4

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------F360A4DA24AF28E081A2DCF2--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 18, 2001, 8:52pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------6AD7271BE6E8902BF3418122

Continue sleeping and ignoring the facts.
Sure the look and feel of windows is nice, that's why it was so
successfull. But that is the only thing that you are right about.
Wrong is that linux is a hacker thing, right it is students work.
Wrong is that every computer is preloaded with it, right is that more
and more companies give you the choice.
Another fact that might be new to you is that more and more companies
decide to have their software running on Linux. It starts with web based
applications and E-business stuff and goes from there to other business
stuff.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------6AD7271BE6E8902BF3418122--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 19, 2001, 6:29pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------28D997B27A001506C0175780

The kernel ??? Why should you want to change something that doesn't
really exist? If 98 had a kernel that is separate and protected from the
application layer (at least in non-maintenance mode/admin) it could be
more reliable and stable.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------28D997B27A001506C0175780--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 19, 2001, 7:44pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------E8AA4553D033F10DCF679F6A

never rely only on commercials :

The AlphaServer ES40 system supports Compaq Tru64 UNIX, OpenVMS, and the
Linux operating systems.
(taken from http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/news/celera_hgp_0201.html)

Supports OpenVMS, Tru64 UNIX, and Linux.
(http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations/index.html)

RED HAT SOFTWARE - REDHAT LINUX V7.0 CROM - $27.95 - In Stock
(found via http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/search.asp)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------E8AA4553D033F10DCF679F6A--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 19, 2001, 8:17pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D523F5124B2195873E8604FA

I already worked on a blue SGI dome (WS) with Linux but I didn't want to
collect all companies, else I would have been flamed because of a too
large post. I just referred to the two that were mentioned. IBM offers
Linux as platform too since few years (at least in germany), SNI always
had Unix/Sinix. Several german assemblers and resellers offer Linux as
an option - the list would be long.

My only problem with Linux is that I tend to start it in runlevel 2 ;)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------D523F5124B2195873E8604FA--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 19, 2001, 10:08pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------92489D9ABEC04450B5116B48

You must be a hacker, only hackers have more than one CPU in a PC

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------92489D9ABEC04450B5116B48--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 20, 2001, 8:11am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------A0BF56454EA9CFE6CFD169FA

All log off now or risk to be hacked, disconnect your power supplies, TV
cable, toasters and fridges, alarm the police and national guard (then
disconnect your phone off course) and start to pray

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------A0BF56454EA9CFE6CFD169FA--

Make AW in delphi

Feb 21, 2001, 1:54pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------C3661D1E3FCA07C914AD75E6

From a real kernel I expect to be protected from the application layer,
else I have sure an operating system but it has not really a kernel. The
name kernel implies "beeing protected" - it is (or should be) more like
a peache than like an apple. (yummy)
I think this discussion here is philosophy, if you accept not beeing
protected as a bug, Win98's kernel32 is a kernel, if you see it as a
feature it's just one more delivered part of the OS that is somewhere
between application and hardware (and it drivers) - or a design problem.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------C3661D1E3FCA07C914AD75E6--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 20, 2001, 12:04pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D124590FE36016E21CBACDD1

It would be nice to have a "misc" newsgroup without binding to certain
topics.

At the moment all miscellanious stuff goes to community but many think
that "community" is only thought for directly AW related things.

To avoid this constant trouble (not AW-related or not on topic of the
group) it would be nice to have a group where not AW related things can
be discussed by AW community members. No need to hold the history as
long as it is held in other groups, maybe only 3 months back. But this
would be a place were we could post entries that don't go to any other
group without beeing flamed. Common to all these posts would be the
citizenship in AW.

It should not be a replacement for the AW chat but I've read some
interesting ideas by people I never met in AW and I met some people in
AW after I've read entries posted by them. This sure helps to know
eachother - so finally it would be AW related, especially as this server
is not open to the usenet.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------D124590FE36016E21CBACDD1--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 20, 2001, 2:12pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------92DFC75E956FCC53E04AC3AC

Such a group would protect some normal people from you and would be good
for your nerves :)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------92DFC75E956FCC53E04AC3AC--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 20, 2001, 2:14pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------B4F03CD48A90B5641AE97687

It could be used as a test NG too as it would not bother anyone, no
restrictions to a certain theme.
Test is kind of "misc" stuff.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------B4F03CD48A90B5641AE97687--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 20, 2001, 2:28pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------39336D36F60A7863918423B9

I'm curious, so I tried to have a peek but could not connect.

Another option would be news://news.city4all.com - some revitalize it at
the moment, or at least try to (some of the groups there were dead for
about a year).

But if the people spread across too many news servers the effect would
get lost, learning about people you did not meet (yet?).

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------39336D36F60A7863918423B9--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 20, 2001, 3:22pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------61AAA3711F096B790BF58EA9

I already noticed that you seem to think before you post since a while,
but still not everything is stupid that you do not understand.

What problem do you have with my wish? Could you please argue instead of
just stating? I want to take problems out of the current newsgroups,
that cannot be done on any usenet newsgroup as that would not affect
this news server. Please read my reasons for that wish, maybe you will
see that it's not as stupid as you thought after reading just the topic
or maybe the first line.

There are many who have a different understanding about the news groups.
We are not all eep clones, actually (nearly?) no one of us is. If you
cannot accept individuality stand in front of a mirror and tell yourself
how good you are, you big No. 1 - but if you take part in anything
community-related (VR or RL) you need to learn that most people are
different. Once you understood that maybe you will even like it.

p.s.: If you start to argue try to 'stick to commonly known words and
phrases' - english isn't my first language.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------61AAA3711F096B790BF58EA9--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 20, 2001, 3:43pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------72E5FBFC2161421526D57C8A

I forgot to add - and should be open for tourists too, read and write.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------72E5FBFC2161421526D57C8A--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 21, 2001, 6:06am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------AFD140E7A75B6D2EB70FE07E

eep schrieb:

[View Quote]
I do not disagree but my conclusion is a different one, with one single
open group you could :
- give the off-topic posters a place where to post (and you will have
more arguments to keep people on topic in all other groups).
- have a place to test
- have a place for posts that you cannot really sort into one of the
other groups

Sure some of the people who post here need to improve (not sure if those
are all children), but it is fact that some children grow up in and with
AW. It is correct that they SHOULD grow up elsewhere but you can not
force their parents to deal with them. I don't feel responsible for
education but I try to be friendly and tolerant. It helps more to give
hints and advices than to exclude, people who are mad will not stay and
kids grow up. Those that are freaked out now will miss later, will not
share their ideas here but go elsewhere.
Ignoring the stupid posts and and answering the ones that make sense is
my strategy - as long as there isn't mass-stupidity (word mistyped but I
don't know where a, f and m go).

btw., I don't see the community (or communities) as organisation(s) when
I speak about community, I see it more as the 'collection' (sorry, I
find no better word at the moment) of people I meet, friends, visitors,
tourists and so on.

> So go form ICQ channels (or whatever they call it), Yahoo/whatever message boards, and web-based bulletin boards like Xavarella, Ima Genius, etc have. Don't clutter up AW's newsgroups with all that fluff shit. I didn't stand for it when I first came here in 1997 and I sure as hell ain't going to stand for it now.

Everyone is free not to access the misc group - except curiosity would
force it ;)
And if the entries would be removed after 3 months there would not be
endless download even if someone loaded everything that's available
(once it would be filled).

But it isn't my job to decide wether the group will be installed or not,
it was just an idea, that's why it is in the wishlist. I don't use other
ways of bidirectional communications on the web than mail, news and AW.
That's why I would like to have the misc. stuff here so I can read it -
and maybe post when I feel like posting off-topic stuff.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------AFD140E7A75B6D2EB70FE07E--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 23, 2001, 5:26am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------FE97AED3D64C7C1D75489996

We discussed this theme already - IMO "Newbie" isn't an insult. It is
just a level of experience. Every human is a newbie in (nearly)
everything sometimes, even going to the toilet has to be learned. And
that is what CrazyGlue wrote ("Eep weren't you a n-e-w-b-i-e once
too").

If someone is a newbie and you call him a newbie there's nothing wrong
about that.

If you call someone a newbie who isn't a newbie that means only that you
don't know much about his knowledge, but still no insult.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------FE97AED3D64C7C1D75489996--

news group for misc stuff

Feb 23, 2001, 2:04pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------ADA90A07100B9AF27E743253

You're right about that - but

1. Crazy didn't use it that way, he didn't talk about the present
2. eep uses it always without knowing anything about someones knowledge

so it doesn't apply in either case

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------ADA90A07100B9AF27E743253--

avatar sounds

Feb 22, 2001, 8:23am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------6EC90D3E32AA981D3E62B733

Why instead, optional - would be good for GUI freaks and command liners

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------6EC90D3E32AA981D3E62B733--

avatar sounds

Feb 22, 2001, 8:41am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------CDB931BBF4F2A2B7F57235FE

thanks a lot - but would't it be the masochists in your eyes, people who
like to deal with text files?

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------CDB931BBF4F2A2B7F57235FE--

avatar sounds

Feb 22, 2001, 9:11am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------882094B2C5353305493CA7D8

no thanks, not my taste of masochism, I prefer text files

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------882094B2C5353305493CA7D8--

Fresh Start

Mar 1, 2001, 12:45am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------7FB22D8363127AA2C8982212

What about 4 Maxtor 98196H8 IDE (81 GB, about 300$ each), software raid
?

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------7FB22D8363127AA2C8982212--

Fresh Start

Mar 2, 2001, 5:39am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D7D97DE653E6CB815E655336

lol - could it be that I know this list from somewhere? ;)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------D7D97DE653E6CB815E655336--

Fresh Start

Mar 2, 2001, 1:32pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------ED201BBCEE0851A20C0E7C5E

the list contains galaxies and universes

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------ED201BBCEE0851A20C0E7C5E--

Fresh Start

Mar 2, 2001, 6:52pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------CE66EBC97E8697F02CEEAC54

Ameriworlds (it's there as UltraWorlds with an S behind) used to be on
www.ultra-worlds.com, default port - but I could not connect it anymore,
for a longer period of time.

UltraWorld (the one without S) was on an AW port and seems to be gone
too.

If you know the hosts/ports where they are now, please tell me and I
will correct the entries.

There are galaxies missing, because they told me the galaxies were only
for a certain group of people, but not protected, and it would be better
not to have them in the list.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------CE66EBC97E8697F02CEEAC54--

COB detection inside of the ZIP

Feb 24, 2001, 1:28am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------03166F6F3BAAB5DDB29727F8

It would be nice if AW could look into the ZIP header to see if it's a
COB or an RWX if nothing is specified. Builders cannot look inside a ZIP
to decide wether it has a COB or a RWX extension. As only one file is
inside of the ZIP (or GZIP) that would not increase the decode time.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------03166F6F3BAAB5DDB29727F8--

"status" worlds

Feb 25, 2001, 7:50pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------5698E786C8618DF51898EB0A

1000 concurrent visitors would not be necessary for the toilet worlds
(need 2, F and M).
A stadion also usually doesn't have 1000 toilets for example - people
have to wait!
The only problem is that the world status doesn't show red when a world
is full.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------5698E786C8618DF51898EB0A--

smooth scrolling textures

Feb 26, 2001, 3:49am
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------71BD07C24E4E1C8A90DE928E

Image strips could scroll pixelwise - or by 2 pixels or 4 or 8 each time
they scroll, depending on the action line.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------71BD07C24E4E1C8A90DE928E--

Avatar Updates...

Feb 26, 2001, 10:17pm
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------4D29A772611554878EBFB9EA

Maybe an intermediate solution :

http://www.jefftech.net/avatarsdat.html

Tacoguy wrote it to make removing only the avatars.dat file easier -
instead of removing the whole cache as many do it

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard