Fresh Start (Wishlist)

Fresh Start // Wishlist

1  2  |

wing

Feb 23, 2001, 5:57pm

Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
AW Citizen 305004 "Wing"
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433

sw comit

Feb 23, 2001, 9:48pm
*ahem* And what about the countless hours of building people have done?
Alphaworld world alone....75 million objects, that's a whole lot work =D

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com
[View Quote]

wing

Feb 23, 2001, 10:41pm
They'd still exist in the old software, which would continue being operated
and supported until it's no longer cost effective

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Feb 24, 2001, 2:09am
But what if the new software took up too much of the budget and one had to
go?

--
My two cents,
Captain MAD Mike

[View Quote]

35850 !

Feb 24, 2001, 2:57am
Well then "fuck off, old AW." Learn to live with change or you're screwed in
everything that ever happens to you in life.

[View Quote]

sw comit

Feb 24, 2001, 4:35am
You obviously don't own anything in AW your proud of...

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com
[View Quote]

35850 !

Feb 24, 2001, 5:17am
Not true. But if you had any sense, you wouldn't care that much no matter
what it was.

[View Quote]

sw comit

Feb 24, 2001, 5:35am
I've spent two years buildings, I'd be pretty bummed if it all went down the
drain.

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com
[View Quote]

john viper

Feb 24, 2001, 12:50pm
This is the only downside. I think it would be a worthy sacrifice, however
if AW thinks they can get away with it once, they might do it again.

-John

[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Feb 28, 2001, 10:53pm
If AW has to rewrite the database or anything then they should try backing
it up, you know, in case they figure out a way to change that so it works
with the "new" AW, that is if their hard drive can handle it (...mine can
handle AW and 3 copies of it and still be able to hold the stuff it has on
it now...) Though if they did I'd want to have like super changes to AW
(visible limbs in first person mode, maybe voice stuff, av noises, stuff
like that) because I wouldn't think of it being worth losing all of my
builds for more visibility or soemthing.

--
My two cents,
Captain MAD Mike

wing

Feb 28, 2001, 11:26pm
Your hard drive can handle 3 copies of the AW database? Where'd you suddenly
come up with 300 gigs?
[View Quote]

xero

Mar 1, 2001, 12:37am
LoL He could have 2 seagate barracuda 180 gig harddrive (yeah right they
only cost like $7000 each, lol) I doubt anyone has enough harddrive space to
hold 300 gigs that has a personal computer..only a very large server, lol..

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------7FB22D8363127AA2C8982212

What about 4 Maxtor 98196H8 IDE (81 GB, about 300$ each), software raid
?

xero schrieb:

> LoL He could have 2 seagate barracuda 180 gig harddrive (yeah right they
> only cost like $7000 each, lol) I doubt anyone has enough harddrive space to
> hold 300 gigs that has a personal computer..only a very large server, lol..
[View Quote] begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------7FB22D8363127AA2C8982212--

xero

Mar 1, 2001, 1:31am
That would work too, lol..just requires more space..

[View Quote]

grimble

Mar 1, 2001, 2:07am
The amount of whining that people do about AWCI's customer support and not
caring about the citizens ... and then someone comes up with this type of
rediculous trash. Geesh !!

AW has an established user base that THEY would be short of sense to ignore.
Get some perspective!

[View Quote]

andras

Mar 1, 2001, 6:17am
[View Quote] Just a little correction:
AW database is roughly 4 Gig.
Andras

rolu

Mar 1, 2001, 8:06am
[View Quote] yup. 100gb is about the uncompressed size of AW's map tree
(http://awmap.vevo.com/about.html). And even that is only a gig when
compressed. So if you would want to have 3 uncompressed copies of the map,
you would need that much disk space. Not for AW's database itself.

rolu

wing

Mar 1, 2001, 10:01am
They make em that big??? *turns red and hides his highest performance and
biggest hard drive, a Maxtor 250 gig)

Hard drives are like penises... I'll leave the rest up to the imagination.
[View Quote]

wing

Mar 1, 2001, 10:05am
4 gigs? For the amount of time it takes for them to shuffle it around and
restore from backup I'd assume it was like 80.Of course, I don't allow much
for slow backup media (lame DATs and such) or the inevitable incompetance of
those playing with the server. (Going home and eating dinner, etc.)
[View Quote]

35850 !

Mar 1, 2001, 2:56pm
Bah. It's not about the current customer base... anyone should be able to
see that. The number of people loyal to AW isn't going to be nearly enough
to even keep it afloat. Besides, the entire structure of the software is bad
at best, and won't last much longer with all this hacking and slashing. Why
don't YOU get some perspective, eh?

[View Quote]

andras

Mar 1, 2001, 3:21pm
[View Quote] I don't want to be nitpicking but who was talking about "maps"??

> Your hard drive can handle 3 copies of the AW database? Where'd you suddenly
> come up with 300 gigs?

Those are your words . DATABASE isn't it?

Andras

andras

Mar 1, 2001, 3:23pm
[View Quote] Ops - sorry :) Wrong recipient !
Andras

andras

Mar 1, 2001, 3:26pm
[View Quote] We are not talking about "shuffling around" the database. To check for consistency it takes much more time than to just copy it! Without that one you'll end up with a crazy BI:) <trust me - I know it from experience!>
Andras

rolu

Mar 1, 2001, 5:39pm
[View Quote] well, the vevo map was the only AW related thing that's about 100gb, so I
thouhgt I'd mention it.

suddenly

> Those are your words . DATABASE isn't it?

not my words, Wing said that :-)

rolu

j b e l l

Mar 1, 2001, 11:08pm
...actually.. i completeley disagree-I personally feel aw has plenty of money
to go around.. over 30 universes, all paying their money to aw.. over 700
worlds.. paying they're money to aw.. at any one time there can be 300-700+
users on aw.. most paying they're money to aw.. and with all of this money
coming in.. what do they have to pay for? maybe rent (for the building)
connection.. servers.. employees.. but I'm almost certain that their money
coming in is a much higher rate then they're money going out.. you'll talk
about how low they're stock is, but when considering the recession, and what
there stock HAS been.. it's not that bad.... a lot of large succesfull
companies are merging with aw.. so it can't be THAT pathetic.. but i could
be wrong....

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

sw comit

Mar 2, 2001, 12:44am
30 universes? I've been on AW for 3 years and I've only heard of about 5 of
them, lol.

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com

j b e l l

Mar 2, 2001, 5:33am
...i hope you don't want me to list them.. actually.. i've got time..
here's... 38 of them. but i'm sure there's more..

ActiveWorlds
City4All
NightShift
Visiosonic
RedDog
OuterWorlds
Ohio United
VectorScape
Dreamland Park
Galaxy Worlds
Village 3D
EduVerse
Peaceworld
Brasil Worlds
Futebol Total
Galileo
Fandom
Ultraworld
BlurCity
Karlskrona2
Wolfsburg2
VWorlds
Spannk
UltraWorlds
VR-Cincy
VMenta
Campus
Outside of Mall
DigitalSpace
EWorldUnion
MegaCity
CyberNetWorlds
Hanarotel
awbkor
Dadaworld
AWABA
VideoRanch
ChatXY

....and the list goes on..
--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D7D97DE653E6CB815E655336

lol - could it be that I know this list from somewhere? ;)

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------D7D97DE653E6CB815E655336--

wing

Mar 2, 2001, 8:27am
Don't forget the galexies. They're expensive and theres more than a few.
[View Quote]

agent1

Mar 2, 2001, 11:51am
According to their last couple of SEC filings, they only recently started to make a profit... Scary...