news group for misc stuff (Wishlist)

news group for misc stuff // Wishlist

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D124590FE36016E21CBACDD1

It would be nice to have a "misc" newsgroup without binding to certain
topics.

At the moment all miscellanious stuff goes to community but many think
that "community" is only thought for directly AW related things.

To avoid this constant trouble (not AW-related or not on topic of the
group) it would be nice to have a group where not AW related things can
be discussed by AW community members. No need to hold the history as
long as it is held in other groups, maybe only 3 months back. But this
would be a place were we could post entries that don't go to any other
group without beeing flamed. Common to all these posts would be the
citizenship in AW.

It should not be a replacement for the AW chat but I've read some
interesting ideas by people I never met in AW and I met some people in
AW after I've read entries posted by them. This sure helps to know
eachother - so finally it would be AW related, especially as this server
is not open to the usenet.
--------------D124590FE36016E21CBACDD1

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------D124590FE36016E21CBACDD1--

j b e l l

Feb 20, 2001, 1:31pm
that's why on mine ( news://awjbell.com ) i tend to try and remember to add
a group that's *.*.general or whatnot depending on the thread, mainly for
messages that don't seem to fit any of the other groups in that tree...

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

eep no@1.com

Feb 20, 2001, 1:39pm
Perhaps you should try to think where isn't such a newsgroup, Ananas. Now get over it and go post stupidly on OTHER news servers.

[View Quote] > It would be nice to have a "misc" newsgroup without binding to certain
> topics.
>
> At the moment all miscellanious stuff goes to community but many think
> that "community" is only thought for directly AW related things.
>
> To avoid this constant trouble (not AW-related or not on topic of the
> group) it would be nice to have a group where not AW related things can
> be discussed by AW community members. No need to hold the history as
> long as it is held in other groups, maybe only 3 months back. But this
> would be a place were we could post entries that don't go to any other
> group without beeing flamed. Common to all these posts would be the
> citizenship in AW.
>
> It should not be a replacement for the AW chat but I've read some
> interesting ideas by people I never met in AW and I met some people in
> AW after I've read entries posted by them. This sure helps to know
> eachother - so finally it would be AW related, especially as this server
> is not open to the usenet.

rolu

Feb 20, 2001, 1:51pm
And a test ng would be nice too.

rolu

[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Feb 20, 2001, 1:51pm
I Have both

Hey go to news://24.68.170.5
For over 170 different newsgroups,
I can add more for you to.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------92DFC75E956FCC53E04AC3AC

Such a group would protect some normal people from you and would be good
for your nerves :)

eep schrieb:

> Perhaps you should try to think where isn't such a newsgroup, Ananas. Now get over it and go post stupidly on OTHER news servers.

[View Quote] begin:vcard
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------92DFC75E956FCC53E04AC3AC--

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------B4F03CD48A90B5641AE97687

It could be used as a test NG too as it would not bother anyone, no
restrictions to a certain theme.
Test is kind of "misc" stuff.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------B4F03CD48A90B5641AE97687--

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------39336D36F60A7863918423B9

I'm curious, so I tried to have a peek but could not connect.

Another option would be news://news.city4all.com - some revitalize it at
the moment, or at least try to (some of the groups there were dead for
about a year).

But if the people spread across too many news servers the effect would
get lost, learning about people you did not meet (yet?).

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------39336D36F60A7863918423B9--

rolu

Feb 20, 2001, 2:49pm
[View Quote] I have access to at least 3 other test newsgroups on other servers. It's
about a test ng on *this* server.

rolu

eep no@1.com

Feb 20, 2001, 3:01pm
Look, I already said I'd try to tone it down a bit, but if twits like you, Agent, and other idiots are going to persist in acting stupid, you're going to hear of it from me, dig? Don't fuck with me, kid.

[View Quote] > Such a group would protect some normal people from you and would be good
> for your nerves :)
>
> eep schrieb:

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------61AAA3711F096B790BF58EA9

I already noticed that you seem to think before you post since a while,
but still not everything is stupid that you do not understand.

What problem do you have with my wish? Could you please argue instead of
just stating? I want to take problems out of the current newsgroups,
that cannot be done on any usenet newsgroup as that would not affect
this news server. Please read my reasons for that wish, maybe you will
see that it's not as stupid as you thought after reading just the topic
or maybe the first line.

There are many who have a different understanding about the news groups.
We are not all eep clones, actually (nearly?) no one of us is. If you
cannot accept individuality stand in front of a mirror and tell yourself
how good you are, you big No. 1 - but if you take part in anything
community-related (VR or RL) you need to learn that most people are
different. Once you understood that maybe you will even like it.

p.s.: If you start to argue try to 'stick to commonly known words and
phrases' - english isn't my first language.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------61AAA3711F096B790BF58EA9--

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------72E5FBFC2161421526D57C8A

I forgot to add - and should be open for tourists too, read and write.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------72E5FBFC2161421526D57C8A--

j b e l l

Feb 20, 2001, 9:59pm
ya i know.. this newserver program is pretty unstable.. i'm working on
getting a new one.. but untill then if it's not up, try again in an hour or
so.. sorry about that..

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

eep no@1.com

Feb 20, 2001, 10:48pm
[View Quote] > I forgot to add - and should be open for tourists too, read and write.

I agree with this, but feel just having "community" open to tourists (but not off-topic posts!) would suffice.

> ananas schrieb:

That's because "community" IS only for AW-related things, not little kids' news servers to make themselves feel more important and boost their self-esteem, not little kids' lame "communities" (wanna-be) in AlphaWorld where they, again, are trying to make themselves feel more important and boost their self-esteem. See a pattern? Guess who's mostly posting off-topic: little kids trying to make themselves feel important and boost their self-esteem. This is otherwise known as immaturity. Kids need to grow up elsewhere and not clutter up AW's newsgroups with their evolution.

So go form ICQ channels (or whatever they call it), Yahoo/whatever message boards, and web-based bulletin boards like Xavarella, Ima Genius, etc have. Don't clutter up AW's newsgroups with all that fluff shit. I didn't stand for it when I first came here in 1997 and I sure as hell ain't going to stand for it now.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------AFD140E7A75B6D2EB70FE07E

eep schrieb:

[View Quote]
I do not disagree but my conclusion is a different one, with one single
open group you could :
- give the off-topic posters a place where to post (and you will have
more arguments to keep people on topic in all other groups).
- have a place to test
- have a place for posts that you cannot really sort into one of the
other groups

Sure some of the people who post here need to improve (not sure if those
are all children), but it is fact that some children grow up in and with
AW. It is correct that they SHOULD grow up elsewhere but you can not
force their parents to deal with them. I don't feel responsible for
education but I try to be friendly and tolerant. It helps more to give
hints and advices than to exclude, people who are mad will not stay and
kids grow up. Those that are freaked out now will miss later, will not
share their ideas here but go elsewhere.
Ignoring the stupid posts and and answering the ones that make sense is
my strategy - as long as there isn't mass-stupidity (word mistyped but I
don't know where a, f and m go).

btw., I don't see the community (or communities) as organisation(s) when
I speak about community, I see it more as the 'collection' (sorry, I
find no better word at the moment) of people I meet, friends, visitors,
tourists and so on.

> So go form ICQ channels (or whatever they call it), Yahoo/whatever message boards, and web-based bulletin boards like Xavarella, Ima Genius, etc have. Don't clutter up AW's newsgroups with all that fluff shit. I didn't stand for it when I first came here in 1997 and I sure as hell ain't going to stand for it now.

Everyone is free not to access the misc group - except curiosity would
force it ;)
And if the entries would be removed after 3 months there would not be
endless download even if someone loaded everything that's available
(once it would be filled).

But it isn't my job to decide wether the group will be installed or not,
it was just an idea, that's why it is in the wishlist. I don't use other
ways of bidirectional communications on the web than mail, news and AW.
That's why I would like to have the misc. stuff here so I can read it -
and maybe post when I feel like posting off-topic stuff.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------AFD140E7A75B6D2EB70FE07E--

andras

Feb 21, 2001, 7:32am
Having a misc group will solve greatly the off topic posts problem - simply continuing a thread there (learn your browser's "Follow-up" option!). I was listening to that idea and added an "OffTopic" tree to my ng. Unfortunately Follow-up doesnt work between different news servers.
Andras

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 21, 2001, 2:58pm
If people learned how to change subject lines (and leave the old one in for reference!) then the off-topic posts could be more easily averted. However, why the need to post off-topic in the first place? Look who's mostly doing it: kids who don't think before posting: Agent Fox Mulder, j b e l l, xero, etc, etc. If they would simply THINK before they post and realize their off-topic post does NOT contribute to AW's development in any positive way (except to positively annoy most newsgroup readers who would rather read about DIRECTLY RELATED AW issues and not ramblings about the latest twit kid's newsgroup and other nonsensical crap).

My point is, a misc group is unnecessary if a little self-policing goes on.

[View Quote] > Having a misc group will solve greatly the off topic posts problem - simply continuing a thread there (learn your browser's "Follow-up" option!). I was listening to that idea and added an "OffTopic" tree to my ng. Unfortunately Follow-up doesnt work between different news servers.

[View Quote]

andras

Feb 21, 2001, 3:13pm
I strongly disagree. Ppl need forum where they can discuss what is in their mind. Most of the posters here rarely uses other newsgroups (no pun intended!) I bet most of them still thinks NG is another way of chat (but a slower one) which is of course bad but .... What would it cost to set-up an ng were everyone can talk about anything? For AWCI - as a publicly traded company (don't start to debate this issue please) has to keep the traffic in a controlled manner (one of the reason those private groups are not open for everyone). We can't think they will provide us a group where everyone can state her/his opinion regardless of the ng owner. Would you like to have your own ng where you read nothing else but bashing you? I doubt. I agree with you on the "Keep the posts on topic" agenda but there is no other opportunity to post something absolutely off topic. people need it! (maybe you are an exception :) That is the reason I'm an advocate to have such a group either within AWCI (which I doubt will happen) or on an independent NG where the rest of the topics are STILL aw related.

Don't forget - all of us were a beginner once. Some of us learned faster some didn't :)

Andras

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Feb 21, 2001, 3:24pm
contrary to prior belief, i actually do tend to think eep.. i know this may
come as a shock but god forbid you be wrong.. it might harm your evergrowing
ego.. wouldn't want eep to think he is among the pee-ons, now would we..

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

j b e l l

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com
G O I N G P L A T I N U M

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 21, 2001, 5:25pm
Uh, so people can go to YOUR newsgroups if they want to post off-topic, A=
ndras; keep AW's newsgroups uncluttered.

[View Quote] > I strongly disagree. Ppl need forum where they can discuss what is in t=
heir mind. Most of the posters here rarely uses other newsgroups (no pun =
intended!) I bet most of them still thinks NG is another way of chat (but=
a slower one) which is of course bad but .... What would it cost to set-=
up an ng were everyone can talk about anything? For AWCI - as a publicly =
traded company (don't start to debate this issue please) has to keep the =
traffic in a controlled manner (one of the reason those private groups ar=
e not open for everyone). We can't think they will provide us a group whe=
re everyone can state her/his opinion regardless of the ng owner. Would y=
ou like to have your own ng where you read nothing else but bashing you? =
I doubt. I agree with you on the "Keep the posts on topic" agenda but the=
re is no other opportunity to post something absolutely off topic. people=
need it! (maybe you are an exception :) That is the reason I'm an advoca=
te to have such a group either within AWCI (which I doubt will happen) or=
on an independent NG where the rest of the topics are STILL aw related.

> Don't forget - all of us were a beginner once. Some of us learned faste=
r some didn't :)

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 21, 2001, 5:26pm
Yo, idiot, don't quote a message just to change the subject line (and not keep the old one in, no less). Guess I have to filter you from THIS newsgroup too, eh? Stupid kid...

j b e l l

Feb 21, 2001, 6:52pm
then i won't have to put up with your idiotic replies.. please do..

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 21, 2001, 7:47pm
Buh-bye, twit.

[View Quote] > then i won't have to put up with your idiotic replies.. please do..

[View Quote]

crazy glue il

Feb 22, 2001, 1:38am
I wouldn't mind an off-topic NG, it would probably lighten up the load on
the "community" NG, Eep weren't you a n-e-w-b-i-e once too? I made a
mistake when I fist arrived, but I try my mest to make sense here, just so I
won't get flamed (kinda ironic isn't it?), Just as anansas(andras?) said,
Some learn fast, others don't, and that's why you see so many 16 year olds
in 8th grade, kinda pitiful, maybe it wouldn't hurt for you to stop
insulting everyone and give them a chance (not including AFM). You know,
Eep, not everyone is just like you, it would help if you realized that. Even
if you do, please show it. :)

--
We all have atleast ONE crazything in us >:]
~Johnathon a.k.a CrAzY gLuE IL
crazyglue3 at hotmail.com
Idiots are plentiful these days, what would we do without them?
Geniuses are rare, but what would it be like without them?
That's is the question.
[View Quote] [View Quote] > I strongly disagree. Ppl need forum where they can discuss what is in
their mind. Most of the posters here rarely uses other newsgroups (no pun
intended!) I bet most of them still thinks NG is another way of chat (but a
slower one) which is of course bad but .... What would it cost to set-up an
ng were everyone can talk about anything? For AWCI - as a publicly traded
company (don't start to debate this issue please) has to keep the traffic in
a controlled manner (one of the reason those private groups are not open for
everyone). We can't think they will provide us a group where everyone can
state her/his opinion regardless of the ng owner. Would you like to have
your own ng where you read nothing else but bashing you? I doubt. I agree
with you on the "Keep the posts on topic" agenda but there is no other
opportunity to post something absolutely off topic. people need it! (maybe
you are an exception :) That is the reason I'm an advocate to have such a
group either within AWCI (which I doubt will happen) or on an independent NG
where the rest of the topics are STILL aw related.

> Don't forget - all of us were a beginner once. Some of us learned faster
some didn't :)

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 22, 2001, 3:32am
[View Quote] > I wouldn't mind an off-topic NG, it would probably lighten up the load on
> the "community" NG, Eep weren't you a n-e-w-b-i-e once too?

Yes, but I've never been as new as you and most others who post in AW's newsgroups... I've been against "fluff" since the beginning (summer 1997).

> I made a mistake when I fist arrived, but I try my mest to make sense here, just so I
> won't get flamed (kinda ironic isn't it?), Just as anansas(andras?) said,
> Some learn fast, others don't, and that's why you see so many 16 year olds
> in 8th grade, kinda pitiful, maybe it wouldn't hurt for you to stop
> insulting everyone and give them a chance (not including AFM). You know,
> Eep, not everyone is just like you, it would help if you realized that. Even
> if you do, please show it. :)

I DO show it by trying to ENCOURAGE people to be more like me. :D

[View Quote]

crazy glue il

Feb 22, 2001, 7:08pm
Yes but you WERE as NEW as everyone else at one time, and no one will ever
be just like you, silly :P

crazyglue3 at hotmail.com
Idiots are plentiful these days, what would we do without them?
Geniuses are rare, but what would it be like without them?
That's is the question.
[View Quote]

andras

Feb 22, 2001, 7:58pm
I HOPE!!!
Andras

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 22, 2001, 10:20pm
I was never as incompetent and inept as you and others have been in these newsgroups, Crazy. Attempt to evolve.

[View Quote] > Yes but you WERE as NEW as everyone else at one time, and no one will ever
> be just like you, silly :P

[View Quote]

crazy glue il

Feb 22, 2001, 10:50pm
And just why are you telling me to evolve? You get cornered and you start
insulting, I find that primitive, don't you?

crazyglue3 at hotmail.com