john viper // User Search

1  ...  7  8  9  10  11  |

I still need HELP!

Mar 11, 2001, 12:27pm
No no no its like this, the CD is worth about $0.50. The box is worth about
$500. The software is so bad that for full install, they pay you $300, and
for upgrade, because there is one less feature, they pay you $400. The
license key is like the other half-of-a-dollar. (I mean how much can I guy
get paid to do this: ASLKDJ23932O9U8WOKNSF and then put hyphens in it?

-John VIper

[View Quote]

NewYork's 2nd Anniversary

Mar 11, 2001, 5:01pm
Yes, it does indeed.

-John Viper

[View Quote] > PS: dirty laundry stinks!

Countdown!

Mar 13, 2001, 10:23pm
If you are going to leave, I wish you would just. Does this mean that I
need to simply not check the newsgroups for the next 11 days? Even if I
filter Lane, all the replies and such will still be there, and since I am on
a 56K connection even if I do not read every message, the headers still have
to download. Can't wait till I get my news client finished.......

-John

[View Quote]

Technical newsgroup

Mar 13, 2001, 10:27pm
I don't see why not, 7 worked for me and I think I got 8 before I installed
Win2K
[View Quote]

Out of the Loop

Apr 20, 2001, 9:01am
Hey everyone...

I have been out of the loop a little while, but I guess I am going to step
back into it (WITH MY NEW DSL CONNECTION1!!!!!!!!!). :-)

Anyways when I logged into AW this morning, I downloaded build 375... Is
there any way for me to check out what is in this version?

Thanks :-)

-John Viper

jviper at jtsoft.net

Out of the Loop

Apr 21, 2001, 10:48pm
Strange, this is the first time that has ever happened lol I hope it dont
happen too often....

-Johnny V.

[View Quote]

Wisconsin AW Users?

Apr 23, 2001, 10:12pm
lol it is in the very North part of the US of A, right on the border with
Canada. Just West of the Great Lakes.

-John

[View Quote]

Testing And if you reading this...

May 5, 2001, 2:29pm
I am confused here. Wait, no, that is not the right word, but it is close
to it. Not worth my time to think of a better word.

Anyways, I know that at least twice now, you have threatened to leave
permanately, left, and then come back. Make up your mind! You gonna leave
or stay?

-John
[View Quote]

Final solution to everything.

May 12, 2001, 2:06am

I love headers :-) jfk, you are 2 newsreaders behind. Ya know, 4.05.11 is
out...

Wow, this looks like a useful newsreader! Maybe I won't have to write my
own anyhow? To check it out, go to http://xnews.3dnews.net/.

If it has that good of a filter, perhaps I need to make a new taunt for
Unreal Tournament. "Suck filter, twit!" hehe ;-)

Have a nice day :-)

-John Viper

[View Quote]

Final solution to everything.

May 12, 2001, 2:08am
....and just when I thought it couldn't be better, it turns out to be written
in Delphi. YIPPEE! Bout time I replaced this POS...

-John.

[View Quote]

Letter to AWCI

May 14, 2001, 9:04pm
"kah" <kah at kahbot.com> wrote in news:3b000c36 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hmmm...finally decided to be a nice guy, now? or are you still gonna
> kick ppl's ass around the NG? Well, I hope that you chose good guy ;-))
>
> KAH
> PS. JFK2, don't bother to reply, you're filtered (and annoying)

You see, this is the kind of thing that starts more bickering: The
instant someone makes a valid attempt to try and get along, someone
provokes them. *sigh*

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

NEW WORLD OPEN!

May 18, 2001, 11:08pm
I will have to check it out :-)

Say "Hi" to Lightwave for me ;-)
_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

PLAY NAME THAT TUNE TONITE

May 18, 2001, 11:26pm
> Is there a list of these so called rules somewhere cause I never saw
> any when I joined this NG. I would like a URL to them if it even
> exists. Until then kiss off Kah, you maniac, LOL
<snip>

I remember there used to be something called etiquette... Miriam-Webster
defines etiquette as the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or
prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life. My
private interpretation of this reads "When out in public or in an official
setting such as a meeting, be considerate of others." Perhaps not all of us
have broadband? It doesn't take all the time in the world to download 50K,
but being connected at 45.2 KBPS like I am now, and being able to download
at about 5 KBPS, it would take 10 seconds to download an HTML post. It, in
my opinion, would be more considerate of other users to give a plain-text
post that is 1K or 2K that gives a brief description, and a "For more
information, go to www.blah.com/moreinfo.shtml" if they care to learn more.
Just think of it as simple, common courtesy -- something like holding the
door for ladies and washing your hands in the bathroom, etc.

Also, about pop-up ads and such, if I really want to know about something, I
will put up with them. However, as they do drive some people away, e-mail
me personally at jviper at jtsoft.net if you would like me to do some research
into hosting sites with few or no ads.

Does anyone know of any good web sites with some common netiquette
definitions? I think that would be a good reference.

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Posting in HTML

May 18, 2001, 11:45pm
> ok but this still does not tell me why you can't post in html, what
> difference does it make if it's on a webpage as html or if it's on a
> post, it's still html any way you slice it so those same people you
> said won't see it still won't see it if there is a link to it, right?
> Also in the guidelines that wizard posted, nowhere does it say, do not
> use html, personally for me 49k is not a big d/l even for a webpage,
> most webpages are much larger than that and is this what they see if
> they don't view html?

Common Courtesy. Like I said before, It takes a good 10 seconds to download
a newsgroup post -- its more fun to not have to wait to read a message.

Another point that I forgot to mention in the netiquette speech above is
that some people do not have HTML news readers -- I use a news reader that
does not support HTML. Why not use Netscape or Outlook Express? Netscape
is just about the buggiest thing I have ever seen (although 6 is pretty
nice, I will stick with Mozilla) and OE is just clunky, and the filters do
not work.

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

HOLY!!! Look at this place

May 19, 2001, 5:09pm
"brandon" <bandit_9111 at bigfoot.com> wrote in news:3b068cf3
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> try goign to 666n 0w in AW

666N? I do believe that is the garden of King Punisher... Back before the
peacekeepers and even before the cops (911N 0W I think) there was a crime
syndicate of vandals. Check it out at the AW history pages at
www.awcommunity.org

--
_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

HOLY!!! Look at this place

May 20, 2001, 3:41pm
"brandon" <bandit_9111 at bigfoot.com> wrote in
news:3b06d7ba at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> thats where i foudn this out lol

Yea, I posted before I read the next message

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Old review

May 19, 2001, 5:18pm
"alphabit phalpha" <alphabit2 at home.com> wrote in news:3b06a2f6$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> And thank goodness for us you found it HenrikG!
> Hey.....how did everyone else hear of Activeworlds?
> I was told about it by a school teacher friend back in 97:)

A few months after I actually got Internet access, in the winter of 1997, I
was in a ReBoot news group (more than likely alt.rv.reboot) and Lightwave
mentioned it. I checked it out, and did not become a citizen for a few
months, and finally, on March 9, 1998 at 9:01 PM, I decided that $20 was
worth it

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

No Software Renderer?

May 22, 2001, 9:13am
I was just reading the AW 3.2 help stuff...

How does he mean that there is no software renderer in 3.1? I run it on
my laptop all the time, and my laptop has NO 3-D renderer, and it pops up
with a red X box that says something like "Warning, AW will run in
Software mode." Sure, its sluggish, but it works........
_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Location of next reunion?

Jul 17, 2001, 9:47am
Raleigh, NC, is not right on the coast... It is about 200 (?) miles from
it. There are nice hotels, and a nice big convention center (maybe a little
too big... the Embassy Suites is in Cary, right near Raleigh, and they have
party rooms and such. The company I work for (TogetherSoft Corp) just had
quarterly team meetings there. Very nice place. Oh and did I mention its
only about 30 miles from me? hehe ;-)

-John

"nornny" <Nornny1 at home.com> wrote in
news:3b523f11$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> If I recall right, there are two smaller reunions going on this year.
> :) There will be one in Portland, Oregon and another in Europe in
> Sweden, I think. As for an east coast reunion, looks like there isn't
> one planned yet. I can't blame AWCOM, they WANT to travel away from the
> east coast, they work in good ol Massachusetts all day anyways.
>
> Nornny

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Location of next reunion?

Jul 18, 2001, 12:06am
Well I have everything but the umm the money and the umm ability to plan
events well.

-John

"nornny" <Nornny1 at home.com> wrote in
news:3b546ad2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> You know, if you have a few extra hundred dollars or so, why don't
> y'all make your own reunion like the Norway and Portland reunioners?
> lol. With a bit of newsletter advertising and such, it could be pretty
> successful, and you can hold it where YOU want. ;) Doesn't take much,
> just some citizens, a hotel, and a very good itinerary. hehe.
>
> Nornny

_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Bonzo Dog arf

Jul 17, 2001, 9:50am
Where is this General.discussion I keep hearing about? I see nothing like
it in the NG list...

-John

"chucks party" <Chucks_Party at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3b53f417$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

--
_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Bonzo Dog arf

Jul 18, 2001, 12:08am
Ah thanks, we all have our blond moments ;-)

-John

"kah" <kah at kahbot.com> wrote in news:3b542be0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> ever tought of hitting the "Reset list" button? you have to download
> the new list first...
>
> KAH
<snippety snip snip>

--
_____________________________
John Viper
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

To Whom It May Concern... [long!]

Jul 18, 2001, 8:38am
....ok I can't even think of anything to say. You said it all. So here's to
that captain and navigator in Moff Piet's post learning about greediness...
maybe this is just what they need to snap out of it.

Thanks, Goob :-)

-Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)

"goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
news:3B550144.1562FDAC at acsu.buffalo.edu:

<Snip a very long yet well planned out letter>

_____________________________
Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

To Whom It May Concern... [long!]

Jul 18, 2001, 8:57am
Hey, I was typing out a message to Goob in ICQ and I realized I had thought
of something to say after all. Here goes...

Lovely message in the Newsgroups. Where I work, TogetherSoft Corporation,
has one main core value, and that is to Serve with integrity and heart.
Also, the organizational structure is different. Rather than the employee
doing the manager's bidding the the VPs doing the CEO's bidding, it is kind
of reversed. Peter Coad(CEO) says at the Quarterly Team Meetings on Monday,
"What can I do to serve you, the employees of TogetherSoft?" and I know
this man, he is very true to the core values. Anyways, serving goes down
the line: the CEO does what he can to serve the VPs, and the Managers do
what they can to serve the employees, and everyone does what they can to
serve the customer as an individual, all doing it with intrgrity and heart.
This company has grown from 35 to 442 in 1.5 years and has a good financial
history, to say the least, and has just been ruching like wildfire into the
market. Plus, they have a good product -- of course, nothing would happen
without that ;-)

If only Rick and JP could realize that greediness is not the way to go, but
serving the customer is, and realizing that it is better to retain a happy
customer by serving them EVEN IF it causes them to lose a little bit of
money because in the end, for certain, the happy customer (me, you, citizens
is what I am referring to here, not PCDJ or what have you) will bethere to
back them up when they are not doing so well, and continue to be supportive
when they are doing very well. I can see how tempting it would be to be
greedy at the level of some people in AWCom, however, greediness will make
them want more money, sacrificing customer after customer along the way, and
if they ever do hit a nice big deal guaranteed to make them gazillions,
there won't be anyone left, and they suddenly are a gazillion bucks in debt.

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"john viper" <jviper at jtsoft.net> wrote in
news:Xns90E243840FC87jviperjtsoftnet at 166.90.181.12:

> ...ok I can't even think of anything to say. You said it all. So
> here's to that captain and navigator in Moff Piet's post learning about
> greediness... maybe this is just what they need to snap out of it.
>
> Thanks, Goob :-)
>
> -Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
>

> "goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
> news:3B550144.1562FDAC at acsu.buffalo.edu:
>
> <Snip a very long yet well planned out letter>
>
> _____________________________
> Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
> jviper at jtsoft.net
> http://www.jtsoft.net

New Objects ! Alpha World must enlarge it object path !

Jul 25, 2001, 12:58am
I know this works on 4.0 and up:

If you want good-looking borders (instead of those awful 3D things):

Makes a nice, one-pixel thick border around all the text, and works in at
least NS4, IE4, and probably most other browsers. Only M$ product that I
truly believe is actually worth using is IE simply because of what it allows
you to be able to do, and you can do it much more easily. Plus, most of its
features and how they are coded makes sense. Netscape really needs to catch
up. NS6 came close, but again, no cigar...

-John

"wing" <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in
news:3b5e12df at server1.Activeworlds.com:

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

New Objects ! Alpha World must enlarge it object path !

Jul 25, 2001, 8:27am
I must admit that IE is a bit TOO lenient sometimes, but most of the time,
it really does make life easier... (of course, it doesn't make a difference
since we have to develop to the lowest common denominator anyways.) I
haven't had a chance to see IE6, although I hear it is absolutely atrocious.
The deal is that if Netscape can get their act together and make a product
better than IE, I will use it. Right now, this is not the case.

-John

"goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in
news:3B5E418B.D6C6CE7F at acsu.buffalo.edu:

> Don't make me have to smack both of you... IE is atrocious because it
> breeds poor web design skills and has no concept of standards
> whatsoever, whereas Netscape actually *forces* you to think about what
> you're doing and to do it right the first time. Once they get all the
> minor bugs out of NS6, Netscape will proceed to flatten IEvil and web
> developers will scream bloody murder once IE6 comes out, I guarantee
> you that.
<snip>

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

ftp help

Jul 22, 2001, 10:46am
Don't know much about FTP, but I think that both the software and the server
have to support it.

-John

"imagine" <imagines at seatac.net> wrote in
news:3b5a6f03 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

ftp help

Jul 22, 2001, 8:23pm
Could be, but the feature would only be there if the designers tought of it.
Resumed downloads do not for certain mean resumed uploads.

-John

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3b5b02d8 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

ftp help

Jul 23, 2001, 8:50am
Eek! They got Real, too? No wonder the thing sucks so bad, I never liked
it, but I didnt know they sold out to AOL... (thing I hated most was all
the advertisements to upgrade for free, bringing you only to a page telling
you its FREE! for only $29.95.)

-John

"billyat" <billyat at telocity.com> wrote in
news:3b5baed2$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

1  ...  7  8  9  10  11  |