john viper // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  |

Remote eject

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01BEE292.D5E96D20

Are you trying to make, like, a game of Paint Ball or some shooter-type =
thing? If so, I am almost done making the Beta version of PaintBallBot. =
All information on that will be posted in ViperBot Labs in Bots world.

-John Viper
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_007C_01BEE292.D5E96D20

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Are you trying to make, like, a game =
of Paint=20
Ball or some shooter-type thing?&nbsp; If so, I am almost done making =
the Beta=20
version of PaintBallBot.&nbsp; All information on that will be posted in =

ViperBot Labs in Bots world.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-John Viper</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_007C_01BEE292.D5E96D20--

Gravity for Bots?

Dec 15, 1999, 9:22pm
You see, in the AW browser, there are set rules for the walking of avatars.
You can only go so fast, and you stop when you hit an object (unless you use
shift). These do not apply to bots.

Well if it is very important (this may slow your bots down significantly tho)
and if you write these bots yourself (this should work in script bots too, like
Xelagots and Hambots) you could somehow detect all the objects within, say, one
meter of your bot, then (depending on ur programming language/scripting bot)
write some way of detecting the objects around the bot so when it moves it
won't go thru anything but moves around it, although this would almost require
an artificial intelligence. Also this would be used for stairs, if it were a
stair object it could know this ahead of time, but you would have to know the
world very well, like if in AW you would program your bot so when it hits a
stair04m from the front it goes slantways.

And to slow your bot down (because they go at some hyperdrive speed) you could
make it so when it moves somewhere it doesnt go straight there, but it goes in
increments, like insead of saying "move from 0n 0w to 10n 0w" and it going
straight there at super speed, it could parse that into somethingn like "move
from 0n0w to 1n 0w" then "wait a half a second" then "move from 1n 0w to 2n 0w"
and so on.

Hmm this is a good idea I wil have to try it myself...

-John Viper

[View Quote] > My bots seem to defy gravity. Makes it hard to find the floor if it's not

--
John Viper (A.K.A.: Jeffrey W. Tickle)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~ticklejw/ <- Ultra page of stuff (IE4+ req'd)

YOU MUST READ THIS!! LOL

Apr 1, 2000, 3:08am
Hey you all should do virtual comedy sketches hehe

-JV

[View Quote]

READ ME PLEASE!!! REWARD!!!!

Aug 14, 1999, 12:28pm
ok :) I can make them for you :)

All I need is the fee I charge for custom bot designing!!! :)

Conact me for more info.

-John Viper

[View Quote]

WOOHOOOO i got the SDK sample proggy working all by myself

Aug 10, 1999, 1:48pm
LOL!!!!! No wonder you have so many problems!! Win98? IMHO, you should
UPGRADE to Windows 95. At least it works.

-John Viper

[View Quote]

Learning C++

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BEE574.006775E0

What kind of C++ do u have?

I got Visual C++ 6, and later I got a book called "Visual C++ 6 In =
Record Time." That was a great book.

Of course, there is always the more general "Teach yourself C++ in 21 =
days" or "24 hours" or whatever, but that is C++, and none of the IDE's.

Try a search ok Amazon.com for your IDE, like if u have Borland C++ 2, =
search for that.

Hope this helps :-)

-John Viper
[View Quote] [View Quote] I just bought C++, and i was wondering if anyone knows of any =
good ways to learn it. Thanks-iceberg

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BEE574.006775E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>What kind of C++ do u have?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I got Visual C++ 6, and later I got a book called =
&quot;Visual=20
C++ 6 In Record Time.&quot;&nbsp; That was a great book.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Of course, there is always the more general =
&quot;Teach=20
yourself C++ in 21 days&quot; or &quot;24 hours&quot; or whatever, but =
that is=20
C++, and none of the IDE's.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Try a search ok Amazon.com for your IDE, like if u =
have=20
Borland C++ 2, search for that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hope this helps :-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-John Viper</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BEE574.006775E0--

Version Servers

Aug 13, 1999, 5:07pm
Hi, I am making a few bots here, and I was wondering,

<southerner voice>
How y'all get dem version servers? I won't me one uh dem tew!
</southerner voice>
<translation>
How do I get or make a version server?
</translation>

-John Viper

P.S.: I can make jokes like these cause I was born, and live in the south.

Oh Roland.....

Jan 9, 2000, 6:52pm
Yes, that will be very nice. I only hope, though, that anyone will be able
to use it, not just caretakers, because right now I am working on a bot that
is very dependant on that...

-John Viper

[View Quote] > One of the new features hes working on is remote-avatar-teleport =)

[View Quote] --
John Viper (A.K.A.: Jeffrey W. Tickle)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~ticklejw/ (IE4+ req'd)
To make money JUST FOR USING YOUR COMPUTER...
http://www.getpaid4.com/?ticklejw

My Goal: Destroy AOL

Oh Roland.....

Jan 12, 2000, 12:17am
It comes out wheneva AW 3 comes out... and on the subject...

Roland PLEASE update the updates page im DYING here! You got the flu er
sumfin??

-John Viper

[View Quote] > Can you tell me more about this? Will this allow a bot to teleport an
> avatar somewhere within a world? I am writing a bot to do that, but plan to
> use the technique of the bot building an object nearby that will teleport
> the avatar. If I can get around having to do that, I would be VERY
> grateful. Anyone have an idea when this version will be out?

[View Quote] --
John Viper (A.K.A.: Jeffrey W. Tickle)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~ticklejw/ (IE4+ req'd)
To make money JUST FOR USING YOUR COMPUTER...
http://www.getpaid4.com/?ticklejw

My Goal: Destroy AOL

Borland Rules

Apr 1, 2000, 3:58am
Wow

I love how borland uses the whole visual property wotnot thing

so much better than VC++, but Borland's code editor and project thingie
suck. We need an IDE that uses Borland's Delphi properties and VC++'s
project/code thingies

*yawn*

-John Viper

SDK 3.0 and Borland C++Builder 5

Apr 6, 2000, 9:24pm
Hello :-) The only reason I am crossposting is that this kinda concerns
both broups.

I use Borland C++Builder 5 Standard, and just today d/l'ed AWSDK 3.0 BETA.
I wrote a simple test program that does nothing but initialize the API then
exits. Everything compiles fine, but when it tries to link, I get:

(Linker Error) 'C:\PROGRAM FILES\BORLAND\CBUILDER5\LIB\AW.LIB' contains
invalid OMF record, type 0x21 (possibly COFF)

1. What does THAT mean?

2. How do I fix it?

_________________________
John Viper
- -
Go to http://www.getpaid4.com/cgi-bin/emailpanel.cgi?userid=176406 to
receive FREE newsletters via email!
Go to http://www.getpaid4.com?ticklejw to make $$$ using YOUR OWN computer
and sigining subscribers in YOUR OWN emails!

SDK 3.0 and Borland C++Builder 5

Apr 6, 2000, 10:17pm
I got to thinking that I oughta test it to see if it is a 3.0 bug or an
overall SDK bug.

I downloaded the old 2.2 SDK, recompiled it, and I get the same message,
therefore it is the SDK overall. Are there any aw SDKs avilable to us
Borland programmers?

_________________________
John Viper
- -
Go to http://www.getpaid4.com/cgi-bin/emailpanel.cgi?userid=176406 to
receive FREE newsletters via email!
Go to http://www.getpaid4.com?ticklejw to make $$$ using YOUR OWN computer
and sigining subscribers in YOUR OWN emails!
[View Quote]

AWLC - Active Worlds Linguistics Compiler

Jul 23, 2000, 4:50pm
so basically it would be like a hambot... except it compiles into an executable? cooool :-)

Who woulda thought that a "AW Bot"-only programming language would be built lol ... I think I will
stick with C++ but I think its a good idea :-)

--
_________________________
John Viper

E-mail

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BFF683.ACB2A240

It is pretty darn easy to write E-Mail clients in Perl, and there is a =
program that is console-only in Linux (but I can't recall what it is =
called) Anyway I recommend writing one in Perl its really simple from =
what I hear and oh yes dont let me forget it will work on any platform =
supported by Perl (Windows 98, NT4, NT5, Linux, Solaris, etc.

_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BFF683.ACB2A240

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It is pretty darn easy to write E-Mail =
clients in=20
Perl, and there is a program that is console-only in Linux (but I can't =
recall=20
what it is called)&nbsp; Anyway I recommend writing one in Perl its =
really=20
simple from what I hear and oh yes dont let me forget it will work on =
any=20
platform supported by Perl (Windows 98, NT4, NT5, Linux, Solaris,=20
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>_________________________<BR>John Viper<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.jtsoft.net">http://www.jtsoft.net</A></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>twisted horizon &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:397e0d90$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:397e0d90$1 at server1=
..Activeworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>K, if I get a no clue from one =
more person=20
I'll crack.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Just HOW do you send an e-mail =
from a console=20
app?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>-TH</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BFF683.ACB2A240--

Radius stuff

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C04BCF.4FF53F80

I don't know for certain if there is such a thing in C++ but see if =
there is a Vector class. It is like a dynamic array of Objects. (In =
other words, it accepts all objects derived from Object, which is all of =
them.)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out =
the other." - Anonymous
=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C04BCF.4FF53F80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't know for certain if there is =
such a thing=20
in C++ but see if there is a Vector class.&nbsp; It is like a dynamic =
array of=20
Objects.&nbsp; (In other words, it accepts all objects derived from =
Object,=20
which is all of them.)</FONT><BR>_________________________<BR>John =
Viper<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.jtsoft.net">http://www.jtsoft.net</A><BR>"Java is a=20
machine.&nbsp; You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the =
other." -=20
Anonymous<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"twisted horizon" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a0d6437 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a0d6437 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Nevermind, I got that worked out =
on my own=20
(It's a stupid question.) Now, what is the most memory efficient way =
of=20
holding the coordinates of avatars? If stupid old me were to try, I'd =
probably=20
wind up with an array of structs, and I know for a fact that that =
isn't the=20
most memory efficient way of doing these things. Please-o-please post =
to the=20
NG or e-mail (minutely worse) any ways of holding the coords of =
multiple=20
avatars that aren't so hard on my memory that you can think =
of.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2>Thanks in=20
advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Twisted Horizon</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C04BCF.4FF53F80--

Hmm..

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C04E92.4520C0A0

Don't know too much about it -- except its supposed to be a kind of =
Microsoft Java as well as the only way to design the gay "subscription =
software" idea which M$ is releasing with .NET (Whistler).

Honestly -- things seemed to be looking up for Microsoft. I thought =
maybe they were finally beginning to work with the community rather than =
against it -- but now with .NET and the incredibly stupid-assed idea of =
subscription software, I now realize its time to forget about them. =
(For those who don't know about subscription software, its a "service" =
which Microsoft planns to offer, where instead of going to the store and =
paying $40 for some software, you pay X amount per month/hour/whatever =
to use the software which resides on their servers. Its like you have =
all the software ever made right available to you, cept you gotta pay =
lots more to use it than you would spend buying it (most of the time -- =
sometimes it would be a one-use-only thing) but because of this, it is =
obvious that Microsoft is trying a last-ditch effort to take over the =
world by making sure that if developers want to be recognized they must =
C# and have all the software hosted on their .NET servers (or whatever) =
or on a Microsoft Infected (oops I mean Certified) server and you gotta =
pay THAT much more to have one of those.)

Sorry bout the rambling -- im just in a bad mood about the whole thing.

--=20
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out =
the other." - Anonymous
=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C04E92.4520C0A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Don't know too much about it -- except =
its supposed=20
to be a kind of Microsoft Java as well as the only way to design the gay =

"subscription software" idea which M$ is releasing with .NET=20
(Whistler).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Honestly -- things seemed to be looking =
up for=20
Microsoft.&nbsp; I thought maybe they were finally beginning to work =
with the=20
community rather than against it -- but now with .NET and the incredibly =

stupid-assed idea of subscription software, I now realize its time to =
forget=20
about them.&nbsp; (For those who don't know about subscription software, =
its a=20
"service" which Microsoft planns to offer, where instead of going to the =
store=20
and paying $40 for some software, you pay X amount per =
month/hour/whatever to=20
use the software which resides on their servers.&nbsp; Its like you have =
all the=20
software ever made right available to you, cept you gotta pay lots more =
to use=20
it than you would spend buying it (most of the time -- sometimes it =
would be a=20
one-use-only thing)&nbsp; but because of this, it is obvious that =
Microsoft is=20
trying a last-ditch effort to take over the world by making sure that if =

developers want to be recognized they must C# and have all the software =
hosted=20
on their .NET servers (or whatever) or on a Microsoft Infected (oops I =
mean=20
Certified) server and you gotta pay THAT much more to have one of=20
those.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry bout the rambling -- im just in a =
bad mood=20
about the whole thing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>_________________________<BR>John Viper<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.jtsoft.net">http://www.jtsoft.net</A><BR>"Java is a=20
machine.&nbsp; You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the =
other." -=20
Anonymous<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"twisted horizon" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a11c542$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a11c542$1 at server1=
..Activeworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Just out of curiousity, and out of =
apparent=20
lack of knowledge (A "newbie", so to speak), what is this C# thing? =
Does=20
anyone know? It's up on all my bookmarked programming, source code, =
and IT=20
pages, and I have no idea what it is, aside from a programming =
language...=20
probably relating to C. This might not be important, but, you know, I =
just=20
want to know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>-Twist</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C04E92.4520C0A0--

new bot? good idea? or not?

Nov 18, 2000, 1:10pm
Like Twist said, its more the AW browser that needs the plugins, and besides, if most people knew
how to use the SDK which would let their program plug into your bot, they would be more likely to
write their own bots, and the Xelagot and HamBot users probably would rather stick to scripting.

Bad idea in my opinion.
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

[View Quote]

new bot? good idea? or not?

Nov 19, 2000, 1:51pm
Well I can understand if its for your personal purposes -- thats actually a neat idea. "Download
this large platform, and then use my building blocks to build upon it!" The ever popular (and
better than Rational) Together (www.togethersoft.com) is built off of this idea -- and I do believe
there is an open SDK for it.

So, you could make your own platformbot with the building blocks to save yourself time and if anyone
else wants to add on to it as well give them the SDK.

_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

[View Quote]

new bot? good idea? or not?

Nov 19, 2000, 1:55pm
A while back I tried VB and hated it. There was no power and EVERYTHING was limited. Except the UI
designer thingie was incredibly cool!!! Tried Visual C++. It had all the power but a weak UI
designer. That really turned me off from it.

Then, I found Borland C++Builder. It has all the power of C++ AND a VERY STRONG (maybe even better)
UI thing than VB. Try it -- you can get the trial at www.borland.com.

What I am saying is that yes, using C++ you CAN make a UI in 5 minutes (noteI didn't say seconds --
in VB you cant do it in 5 seconds)

Plus VB just overall suxks (and thats my proferssional fact)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

[View Quote]

"Hearing" radius

Nov 5, 2000, 11:51pm
Hello!

This seems the best place to ask this question -- does anyone know what the "hearing radius" is for
AW? (In other words, how far away do you have to be from a person not to hear em anymore?) Also is
it a circle or a square in the way its measured?

Thanks a load :-)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Voting for Al Gore is like shooting yourself in the butt -- it will hurt" - Unknown

"Hearing" radius

Nov 6, 2000, 1:21am
Thanks -- and thank God and Roland too that they are square cuz if they were round I would have to
fit a square into a circle -- and to think people complain about converting polygons to triangles
LOL! anyway thank you very much :-)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Voting for Al Gore is like shooting yourself in the butt -- it will hurt" - Unknown

[View Quote]

AW SDK C# port

Dec 2, 2000, 9:38pm
<READ THIS FIRST>Okay after reading this over I just want to make it clear that there is nothing
personal against Andon -- he is just one of the unfortunately millions of programmers who will be
lead astray by this revolutionary new idea which Microsoft has completely stolen from Sun
Microsystems. Also, the first part of this is basically telling exactly what was stolen from whom.
If you don't want to take the time to read the whole thing, Please scroll down to the bottom and
read my note to C++ programmers thinking about upgrading to C#. Thank you. We now return you to
your regularly scheduled rant post...

Damn, I was afraid it would happen. Microsoft can finally legally become a monopoly with this
fucking stupid "subscription software" idea of theirs. Well anyway -- thanks for the opportunity to
give everyone the REAL facts in C#!! Here it goes..........................

| + The closest thing to 100% OOP (Object Oriented Programming) I have ever
| seen... It goes so far into Object Orientation that it actually gets rid of
| Global Objects and Macros!

Hmm... Apparantly you have never seen Java. Ever since Java 1.0, there are no global objects or
methods or anything and Macros... the entire preprocessor is eliminated.

| + New file format (.cs)... This file format is like a combination Header /
| Implementation file. You define and actually implement the entire class
| within this file rather than having to use a header and then using #include
| in your implementation file.

*ahem* again... see Java... Microsoft is such a wannabe. I wouldn't be suprised to see exact
duplicates of Java's source in C#'s.

| + Memory Garbage Collector... Appropriately named, this feature takes RAD
| (Rapid Application Development) to new levels by completely automating all
| memory allocation, etc... This sounds like the greatest thing since sliced
| bread until you realize the way this is done for the most part is by getting
| rid of pointers!!! Use of pointers will flag your code as "Unsafe" to the C#
| compiler and it will completely disable the Garbage Collector allowing you
| to completely screw up your stack and heap (just as easily as you could in C
| and C++).

You are kidding me, right??? Come on Microsoft... why not think up something ORIGINAL?????

Hmm alrighty... well ok so as far as I can tell the whole damn programmign language is a ripoff of
Java, amongst other things! Lets take a look at this one:

| + New variations of some of the old loop keywords, such as ForEach <--- I
| have yet to find a use for that one, but that's not to say it's useless.

Oh foreach is BEAUTIFUL!!! Basically, lets give an example. You give foreach an array, and it
loops through each cell until the end and you can manipulate stuff with this information. Yes this
is so useful -- when I write PERL SCRIPTS I use it all the time.

| + C# can be used to write programs for ANY Microsoft OS other than DOS.

Sorry, I just had to pick this one out. What an origional idea, making a programming language where
systems. That is so nice of them to provide this convenience!! Hey heres a good idea: How about
make it work on ALL operating systems? Yeah! What an incredible thought! It could work on all
your OS'es too, but ALSO on things like Linux, Mac, Solaris,........ Microsoft: drive through,
champ!

A note to you C++ programmers who want to move to C#, please read this before you spend too much
money on something you can get for ABSOLUTELY 100% PERFECTLY IN EVERY WAY FREE. You probably want
to upgrade to C# because it is the "next step up" from C++. However, as with EVERY software product
that is EVER released (even I am not perfect) the first few versions are loaded down with bugs. We
will probably have to wait upwards of 5 years for Microsoft to work the kinks out of C# (and
inherantly YOUR software). C# is basically Java for Microsoft OSes. Why not get the real thing?
Why not go to http://java.sun.com/products and get Java? "But I don't have time to learn an
entirely new language," you say. Java's syntax is based on C++. That much is the same, and syntax
is 50% of learning a language. Also, think about this. In C#, everything is an object. There is
no more preprocessor. So forth and so on. You don't think you won't spend a good month or two
learning C# (thats about the time I spend learning the basics of Java -- and I had NEVER used C++
before.)? I guarantee you that you will. If you want more details on Java or its relation to C#
please feel free to E-Mail me at ticklejw at jtsoft.net. It might save you millions.

And beforw you ask, no, Sun is not paying me to type this (although if I sent it to them it mighe
get me a contract on a commercial ;-). Myself (Jeffrey W. Tickle) as well as JTSoft.net are not in
anyway associated with Sun Microsystems (besides the fact that we love their programming language),
and this is all based on my own research and experience.

Have a nice day and happy holidays :-)

_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

More AW Newsgroups !

Dec 18, 2000, 12:21am
SaintlyMic EmailPlease try to refrain from posting messages that are 36KB in the future --
especially messages that COULD contain simple text (like this). If you want to promote your
website, you can do it subtly... check my signature for an example. Trust me, that ... thing ...
will make people probably actually steer clear from your site. Just suggestions :-)

Also, knowing AWCOM you can forget about havin your own newsgroup ;-) However, if anyone here DOES
know how to start a public usenet group I would like to know :-)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net

"God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve..."

[View Quote] Greetings,

Where are the Active Worlds Newsgroup Rules ?
Is AW going to add more descriptive Newsgroups ?
Also, can a world owner have their own AW Newsgroup ?
To whom do I talk about starting my own AW Newsgroup ?
Sincerely,
SaintlyMic

Under U. S. Bill - S.1618 TITLE III - passed by the 105th U.S. Congress ;

this Email can not be considered SPAM when the following are included :

- Contact Information AND An Email Removal Link -

This Paragraph Contains The Email Removal Link Contact Information.

saintmic at bcpl.net

More AW Newsgroups !

Dec 18, 2000, 10:20pm
Hello...

| Thank you for your advise, John.
| My purpose was not to advertise.
| I'm new to posting News Messages.
| That's why I asked what I asked.

I'm cool with that :-)

| As I asked on my first posting . . .
| Where are the AW News Group Rules ?

Well, I don't know if there are any rules like for the groups as a whole,
but in the "Community" newsgroup, near the top, there is a message posted by
"Activeworlds.com, Inc." with the subject of "Community Charter." I guess
this has the closest thing there is to AW Newsgroup rules :-/

| | p.s. - I'm a fast learner, as you can see. : > )

:-)

| p.p.s. - God HAS created many steves . . .
| but, not after the fashion of Eve, LOL !

How true! :-)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net

"God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve..."

[View Quote]

Pointers, structures, and linked lists

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C074F2.48E85FF0

If I understand your question correctly, you can have as many dots as =
necessary. I hate pointers, however. Thats why I am moving to Java heh =
:-)

-John
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C074F2.48E85FF0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I understand your question =
correctly, you can=20
have as many dots as necessary.&nbsp; I hate pointers, however.&nbsp; =
Thats why=20
I am moving to Java heh :-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-John</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"twisted horizon" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a525fc3 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a525fc3 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>First off, I'd like to say that =
this may be=20
off topic. It isn't an SDK question, but is for a program being used =
in=20
conjunction with the AW SDK, for a bot program, and this is the only =
place I=20
know to look for programmers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Secondly, I'm programming in =
C/C++. All you VB=20
botters.... just shoo.... lol, next.....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With my new skill and horrible talent for =
programming linked=20
lists, I decided to implement an avatar database in my next bot. Of =
course,=20
with my lack of books or buddies (on-line, that is) I wasn't able to =
get much=20
response to a question I've been asking around...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have a line of code like this right before =
freeing an=20
element from my linked list:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>current.previous.next =3D =
current.next</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Would this line be legal, or can I not have two =
dots in the=20
first use?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Any responses (aside from about how horribly my =
linked lists=20
work) would be greatly appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Twisted =
Horizon</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C074F2.48E85FF0--

please

Feb 27, 2001, 11:31pm
I recommend Borland C++Builder. It is very visual (Ironically more so than
Microsoft's Visual C++ which is a little cheaper but in no way better
value), in several ways like VB and loads of fun to use, and easy to learn.
Took me about 3 months to get it down pat, and I already knew some C but
thats fairly easy too :-) I recommend Sams Teach Yourself Borland
C++Builder in 21 days fo learning.

[...]

New bots

Dec 18, 2000, 10:03pm
I'm workin on it ;-)