john viper // User Search

1  ...  8  9  10  11  |

Pollen

Jul 26, 2001, 12:41am
Is there something particularly wrong with not sticking to the norm? This
is virtual reality, you know, not reality. You choose to be realistic, that
is fine. He chooses to be quite a bit less realistic, and whilst it is
extremely... orange... I find the change in scenery from the everyday stuff
that I can get plenty of in R/L to be rather pleasant.

And how can you be certain the builds in Pollen world are not realistic?
I'll be the first to admit that I highly doubt this one, but how do you know
that there is no alien world out there somewhere that looks just like his
world?

Anyways, the moral of the story here is that object modelling is a form of
art, and some art critics probably have pocket notebooks full of phrases
like "Art is a form of expressing emotion" or some psychiatric stuff like
that. Either way, whilst I do not think all art is necessarily beautiful...
(that "Scream" painting has never particularly tickled my fancy...) I still
have respect for it, and I think it is a very agreeable fact to say that
Facter has been fairly original in his world, and does not need to be bashed
down for just having a little fun.

And this is not to say, either, that you are less of an artist because your
world closely resembles realistic objects in Reality. After all, making all
of those life-like textures would require a patience unknown to me, and as
for the structures themselves... wow. Sounds on everything! That must have
taken forever!

As you can see, you both have ways of artwark. Yours is more concrete, more
down to earth, more "realistic" if you will. Other people are more
abstract. Not everything has to be in its perfect place for them, and this
is fine and dandy. Really, its all good...

-John

"eep" <eep at tnlc.com> wrote in news:3B5F21EF.31E13D95 at tnlc.com:

> Um, I have ONE milkjug (not a bottle, you uncultured bafoon). I model
> realistically; you model...well, wackily. <shrug>

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Some good news =)

Jul 30, 2001, 9:41pm
I am slightly ignorant when it comes to object paths and such, so please
excuse me if this question makes me sound like a complete idiot, but here
goes: Do the object sets include registries for the objects?

-John

"facter" <"Facter at AWsupport"> wrote in
news:3b61e007$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Some good news =)

Jul 30, 2001, 9:47pm
Most excellent :-) Out of curiosity, though, what is so dangerous about an
object registry? I mean, in worlds that have public object paths that are
no big secret, I don't see what harm can come to the world. Now that these
object sets (and maybe registries) are being released, it is no longer a
problem, but I have a newt program that can map out a section of a world
that was scahhed with BuildBot, and can make a 3-D diagram of it and
everything -- its really neat, but it required the object registry to work,
and I wanted to map something out for my friend in COFMeta.

-John

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Some good news =)

Aug 1, 2001, 10:31pm
"kah" <kah at kahbot.com> wrote in news:3b685e1e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> :-), YOU MAD GNOME! HTML IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
> SUPPORTED BY NNTP, IT'S JUST A MICROSOFT :-) THAT ANY NEWSREADER
> SUPPORTS IT AT ALL, NONE SHOULD!!!!! HTML IN NNTP IS :-)ED UP, CUZZ IT
> WAS NEVER MEANT FOR HTML, :-)S CAN BE RUN USING HTML CODE IN NEWS
> POST, :-) WHEN WILL YOU UNDERSTAND????? and Icey, why the :-) are you
> posting pictures as well as HTML? :-), this NG IS STARTING TO GET
> :-)!!!!!

*jots down feature for news reader am writing* Ability to filter HTML tags
from messages...

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

E N Z O!! YOU GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2001, 7:10pm
(like no one noticed) Alright, you are just an asshole. Yes, maybe he
is lying and just trying to get our pity, but what would it gain him?
We finally have ENZO communicating with the community here, and people
like you are trying to drive him off. Did you read the last part about
his message? What if everyone in the community just assumed you were
greedy? I don't deny that I thought that Enzo didn't care or only cared
about money, but thats just because everyone else did, and now that he
is here to un-tarnish his name, why not give him a chance?

Even if you have a personal grudge against him for whatever reason, if
nothing else you can be respectful.

*sigh*

-J

[View Quote] > and... WHAT IF YOU LIED??? it really wouldn't surprise me if you did...

> KAH
> PS. it's your fault nobody (except those that play nice so they get free
> worlds...) REALLY trusts you...

[View Quote]

E N Z O!! YOU GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2001, 9:44pm
....and (hopefully) after he starts interacting more, people will maybe
change opinions according to his actions rather than rumors...

-JV

[View Quote] > Rick is just going to have to learn to deal with the negativity and criticism if he expects to deal with the AW community. Life ain't all peaches and cream...

[View Quote]

Disappointment... [last long one, I promise!]

Aug 1, 2001, 10:44pm
"facter" <"Facter at AWsupport"> wrote in
news:3b683ba7 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> How much more direct do you want than a personal email to the community
> ????
>
> F.

[View Quote] I didn't respond simply out of lack of something to say. I was disappointed
in the response, but honestly, and literally, simply did not know what to
say. For some reason I had my hopes up that GK's letter would cause some
fundamental change somewhere... and I gues I just forgot to prepare for the
other possibility. And you know what? I still do not know what to say.

And Facter, what we want is to resurrect "Hang Out with ENZO." I could not
attend any of those simply because the time at which they occured was always
a time I was at work or school or for some other reason not able to attend,
and the first chance I actually got to be there during the right period of
time, I found out they had been terminated. Here's a thought: Instead of
during the week (this is appropriate for Tech Talks) have it Saturday
evening. I am sure that ENZO can take 1 hour out of his time, if that much,
to at least come in and say hi. Chat for a few minutes. Jeez, if he
actually used the software for the community part, he might actually like
it! We all have to experience SOMETHING new... Okay I am getting off track
here. My only thought with this idea is that unfortunately, what would
probably happen is that no one would show up, or people would shot up that
don't really care about the community, but just want to see someone famous.

However, I still think trying a new Hang Out with ENZO thing would be a
great idea, but it would have to be when more people could show up. Maybe
JP could make some surprise appearances now and then, too.

looking over the message I feel like a bit of a hipocrite (sp?), but what
the hell...

-John

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Zeebot

Aug 28, 2001, 8:25am
hmmm, well I dont have any specific web site, but our freedom of speech
is more limited than you might think. Little kids try to get away with
cursing because they know of their constitutional right to "freedom of
speech" but just the words "freedom of speech" are far too broad:

We have a freedom to speak out against out government, its members, and
its actions. We can also boycott, petition, stuff like that... but
just saying "SOANDSO SUCKS A BIG ONE!!" is bad. Its slander, and its
wrong. Also, if you have reasons to dislike a company, it is ok to make
it known, but just saying "SOANDSO CORPORATION SMELLS LIKE ROTTEN
CHEESE!!" is bad.

Am I right here or just completely random?

-JV

[View Quote] > Yea maybe in russia. But its not in America. I can say anything, call anyone
> anything I want. (Leagley) There isnt a law saying I cant; and if there is
> show it to me.

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

[CU] First Citizen Union Meeting

Aug 4, 2001, 7:06pm
The beauty of an organized "bitching" group rather than just a bunch of
"bitching" people is that rather than just a bunch of people shouting out
what they want and complaining about the fact that it is not implemented in
the software the very next day, there would be an organized way of
*communicating* with AWC. As Wing and GK said, Rick showed interest in
communicating with the community, but he can't work with the community when
it is a bunch of random people "bitching."

Look at it from this angle: AWC (and therefore Rick Noll) is supreme ruler
of AW, and they can do whatever they want from it. However, it seems that
Rick has recognized that the community is important. If someone can set up
an organization that is responsible for communicating with those who rule
absolutely the universe, and if said rulers are willing to listen (which it
sounds like they are), perhaps we can finally get ideas exchanged. Perhaps,
rather than ideas simply being ignored, we can get a flat-out GOOD excuse of
why they will not be implemented, or (better yet) we can organize an actual
physical The List(tm) with Estimated Completion Dates and all.

Right...

-John

[View Quote] ____________________________________________
Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

first "citizen union" objective: telegram muting!

Aug 5, 2001, 10:45pm
"eep" <eep at tnlc.com> wrote in news:3B6DB2C0.EF5D1947 at tnlc.com:

> This has been wanted for YEARS (in addition to contact list
> invisibility) so I believe it should be one of, if not THE, FIRST
> objective the CU takes to get AWC to implement into AW. It's just
> ridiculous how many spammers and people can abuse telegrams and just be
> annoying PESTS that I'm surprised AWC hasn't implemented these things
> SOONER.

Maybe the head AWC guys are not as self centered as we thought: if they
were, they would have implemented something like this a LONG time ago --
think about how many telegrams THEY must get a day as spam or hate messages
or whatever...

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

[CU] Response to Citizens Union Proposal

Aug 7, 2001, 10:03pm
I got my damn hopes up again. Gotta stop doing that!!!

More response intertwined:

> Here's the response I just received from Rick concerning the Citizens
> Union Proposal, word for word. Feel free to post your responses here,
> since it's obvious Mr. Noll *does* read these newsgroups, but
> apparently doesn't read emails that get sent to him...

He must not read the newsgroups very well -- if he did he would understand
this was a public meeting, basically just a huge whiteboard that everyone
could splash their ideas on, and that the bad ones would be weeded out by
the representatives, and not just sent on to AW in the form of a demand.

Rick, if you perchance are reading this, I don't think that you understood
exactly what the purpose of CU would be. It would not be a way to undermine
your decision-making power in AW (Any entreprenuer could tell you that it is
a terrible idea for the customers to ABSOLUTELY CONTROL the development of a
product). The difference between Active Worlds and, say, MS Word is that
Active Worlds is not just a tool or a utility, it is a community area that
would simply not exist if the users did not visit it every say. Once you
buy Word, you never have to buy it again (except new versions, but thats
another discussion), and you never even have to use it -- Microsoft already
has their money. Active Worlds, on the other hand, once purchased, has to
be used. Half the fun is no longer there if there are no other people to
talk to. Anyone can build 3-D works of art... just run out and get some
kind of design software or other. $500 for something halfway decent. Okay,
let me try to veer back on topic here. Anyways, the CU would be a way to
COMMUNICATE the NEEDS of the COMMUNITY TO and WITH the COMPANY, as well as a
way to COMMUNICATE the NEEDS of the COMPANY TO and WITH the COMMUNITY. Not
only would the community be IN NO WAY taking control of the company, but
also, you could help us UNDERSTAND some of the decisions that the company is
making, rather than stupid rumors being spread as hatred engulfs everyone.
(I personally would not like the idea of being hated by people -- and if you
can explain your actions to maybe make them less angry, why not?) In the
mix, we would also be able to communicate our NEEDS with the company, and
get the company's feedback on our needs.

ALSO, you mentioned some of the negative results as recorded in the chat log
of the CU meeting. You will also notice this line very near the top:
"Goober King: This thing is essentially a brainstorming session, so if you
guys have any ideas, don't be afraid to speak up" The PRIMARY RULE of a
brainstorming session is that NO IDEA IS A BAD IDEA. Basically, you set up
this big huge white board, and give everyone a dry-erase pen. Everyone
writes up their ideas, from feasible ones such as telegram muting, to less
feasable ones such as killing all Pokemon. These are both good ideas, but
one is more possible than the other. MANY IDEAS COME OUT OF A BRAINSTORMING
SESSION. In the actual monthly Citizen Union Board Meetings, which contains
members of the COMMUNITY as well as members of the COMPANY (maximum of 10 or
so people total, DEFINITELY not public), you work TOGETHER to sift through
EVERY idea, deliberating over all of them, keeping, sorting, and
prioritizing the more feasible ones (giving GOOD REASONS for each), and
tossing out (with GOOD REASONS) the the less beasible ones. The chat log
that you saw was the PUBLIC meeting, in which ANYONE can put forward ANY
ideas. These ideas are then taken out of the chat log, put into a nice list
format, and then organized and edited during the monthly board meetings.

Does THIS sound like a plot to ruin Active Worlds? Does this sound like we
are trying to damage the company? A prime interest of mine is business, and
I see no flaw in any logic herein. You lose no power, but what you do lose
is people who hate your guts for stupid reasons, as well as confused
citizens. We gain no power over how the company runs, but what we do gain
is security in our ideas being listened to, as well as happiness, and
believe me, when you have happy customers, business WILL BE GOOD.

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Misunderstandings...

Aug 11, 2001, 10:51am
When you have a group of more than one person, and especially when all
communication in this group relies on plain text, no voice, no facial
expressions, no electromagnetic synchronization to read what the other
person is thinking, misunderstandings are going to exist, and in our
case very much so. The best thing we can try to do is live with it...

-John, almost loving Netscape 6.1........

[View Quote] > One question... Just what do you expect from a group of people such as the AW community and these newsgroups? Seriously, you put
> genius alongside stupidity. Have beside have not. Citizen beside tourist. Skill beside no skill. Programmer beside end-user. Art
> beside cybersex. Misunderstanding is bound to this community whether we like it or not, and it's not going to stop any time soon.

[View Quote]

AW Ear

Aug 13, 2001, 8:05am
http://www.officeclippy.com you be the judge

(while you're there, watch the movies :-))

-JV

[View Quote] > LOL at you playing with clippy, what do you do to him? `,'

> btw I think his "official" name is Clippit, right?

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Everyone BEWARE

Aug 13, 2001, 1:45am
[View Quote] > If you want a world, buy it from AW or accept an honest bingo prize for
> free from a friend. Don't fall for this lure. also ask AW to make bingo
> fair by limiting prizes to one per IP address to avoid these type scams
> from beginning.

From the sounds of things, he probably has a dynamic IP anyways...

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Be on the lookout

Aug 14, 2001, 8:02am
You don't know Cybernome very well, do you?

Trust me, he is no kid. As far as I know, he has put the last (at
least) 3 years of his life into this project, and has thought it out
VERY well. You'll find out with the updates that shall come later :-)

-JV

[View Quote] > Why does this sound like yet another vaporware program "developed" by kids?

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

xelagon offline

Aug 22, 2001, 9:22pm
Yay!!!

-JV

[View Quote] > I'll find out what is going on, I personally find that ridiculous.

> F.

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

xelagon offline

Aug 22, 2001, 9:26pm
*sigh* I dont believe in total censorship but I do believe that there
are things that should not be let by. Even in the USA Constitution,
Freedom of Speech is not absolute freedom of speech, it is only the
freedom to speak out against the Government. Doing something like this
is called slander, and I think it is one of those civil crimes or
whatever... its not bad enough for cops but you can sue if you want.

Just my $0.02

-JV

[View Quote] > I am glad that the problem is resolved, yet, I don't think it was a fair
> solution to the problem. I think that everyone should have the right to
> name their own world whatever they choose, as long as it's not vulgar. If
> they are going to pay the money to have the world, or use their one-time
> trial world, they should be able to choose the name. People should be
> permitted to have opinions about other people, and be able to voice them.
> It may be offensive to you, Xela, but you could think on the bright side
> and be flattered that someone wasted the only world they are every going to
> own on you.
>
> I am not trying to offend anyone, but I think that some sort of free speech
> should exist on AW.
>
> Also, does anyone think that if this happened to a different person, that AW
> would do anything? I think if it were the Average Joe in this situation, AW
> wouldn't do anything.
>
> BCG

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

What is YOUR default start world?

Sep 2, 2001, 1:46am
oh why not...

My Default Start World is an old trial world called "vrealms" that no
longer exists, so I just end up in AWGate. I figure why not. Someday I
will get a nice house or office building or something and set tht to be
my default, but for now, its just a nonexistant world..

-JV

[View Quote] > Just wondering what everyone's default start world was. Mine is AWGate

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Poll Time!

Sep 19, 2001, 8:45am
I really like #5. #1 would be fun as a game setting (money not like
required or anything) and I would be willing to play #2 and #3.

-JV

[View Quote] > Ok i got a question for you all. Answer truthfully please. And dont steal my

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

What did we do to aw to deserve this

Oct 5, 2001, 12:18am
well first of all, if you don't keep regular backups of important stuff,
thats your own lookout.

Secondly, I don't see what the problem is that everyone is having with
AW 3.2! Usually, my system is the last one that anything
graphics-related will run on, and for some reason it all works perfectly
for me. Sure, some of the lights are a little screwy, but this is a
known and documented problem. Other than that it works fine!

Don't deconstructively criticize Roland. He is doing the best he can,
and just because you had a rare and completely unrelated problem does
not mean the version is from hell, it just means that you were having a
bad day. Its Windows. Shit happens. Maybe it was actually a freak
updater problem, but honestly... Just pick up and move along, and for
heaven's sake, backup your files!

-JV

PS, didnt you say once that you were leaving never to come back again?

[View Quote] > What did we,the citizens of activeworlds,do to derserve this Torture called

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

New 3rd Person View Bug

Nov 1, 2001, 8:56am
Wow, long time no see, everyone. Checking the NG's just has not had its
place in my impossible schedule lately. It will take me a while to read
all these this weekend....

Anywhoozers, I think there be a bug in the new 3rd person view. Take a
look at http://www.jtsoft.net/aw/firstp.jpg and
http://www.jtsoft.net/aw/thirdp.jpg. These were taken just a few
seconds apart. I did not move my avatar during this time. Notice how
everything (including the skybox) looks so much closer in 3rd person?

Have a nice day then.

-JV

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

There is no past. There is no future. There is only the Word, and the
Word is Daemon.

A thought about anti-tourist people

Jan 3, 2002, 2:49am
Good idea. Plus, you don't want a ton of new Citizens running around
who don't have a clue what they are doing. (Imagine the pain in
cleaning up the mess of building experimentation!)

I like this idea. Clear out all the tourist builds. That way they get
to try it out indefinitely but to have permanant builds and decent
social status they must pay up. Rather than clearing weekly, though,
set a timer on the objects to where they delete after a week of
creation. That way, you arent just standing there learning to build and
poof! its gone.

-JV, sticking around until the very end of the Universe

[View Quote] > Some of you are happy that the new funding plan is eliminating tourists.

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

There is no past. There is no future. There is only the Word, and the
Word is Daemon.

Why not package AW and sell it in stores?

Jan 3, 2002, 2:40am
It seems like many years ago (1994-1996 ish) I saw a commercial about
the "3-D Internet"

in 1999 I became a cit of AW. And ever since I first saw it, I wondered
if that is what the commercial was advertising.

*shrug*

-J

[View Quote] > Or better yet, advertise on TV. Selling a CD with a 3 MB file on it isn't
> very economical. If you were to do a TV Ad, you could just tell people
> where to download it. :)
>
> -Joe

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net