Newsgroup Charter... (Community)

Newsgroup Charter... // Community

1  |

flagg

Jun 6, 2001, 8:29pm
Charter of the news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity

INTRO:

The need for a moderated group is best explained by
taking a casual look at the many off-topic postings in other, non-moderated
group. Often times, disputes arise of personal nature or insults are thrown
about with no care or regard for the rights or feelings of others. This
flaming is not the purpose or intent of this particular newsgroup. We would
like to avoid such problems from the start.
News.activeworlds.com/awcommunity has been set up as a media for
dissemination of Information relative to the AW community and the AW
software in general. Events of interest to this community and the sharing of
knowledge and community discussion will be posted here. Often times COF Inc.
employees will respond directly to questions or issues they have special
knowledge of or interest in. We invite you all to take an active share in
this newsgroup and hope it will be a positive addition to your AW
experience. Please join in and have fun.

CHARTER: news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup is a moderated
newsgroup for the free exchange of information and opinions on AW culture,
language, history, economics, science, and other topics related to
ActiveWorlds.
Posts appropriate for news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity include, but are not
restricted to, all aspects of ActiveWorlds, informational posts about AW
culture, history, etc. Language issues related to AW. Discussion of
education, health, environmental issues , politics, elections, etc.
Discussion of books , articles, webarticles, movies, etc., about AW or the
3D internet in general. Discussion of minority issues, including language,
within AW. Job opportunities within AW. Discussions involving PeaceKeepers
and GateKeepers. Suggestions and tips for newcomers. Suggestions and tips
for World Owners. Additions and alternative implementations of the AW client
or server. COF Inc. posts relevant to the AW community and public meetings.

News.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup is for anyone who is interested
in AW and who can follow Usenet newsgroup netiquette, basic rules of polite
human interaction, and any further restrictions imposed by this charter.
There is no test or requirement as to how much of an AW citizen a person is
who wants to make a submission and participate. Any restrictions concerning
the contents of a post are intended to keep to the topic of AW, and are not
intended to restrict anyone's expression of opinions. Free speech exists
within the context of AW as a topic as defined in this charter. If the topic
is not about AW, forums other than news.activeworlds.com/ awcommunity
newsgroup are probably more appropriate. Submissions unrelated to AW shall
be rejected. Commercial advertisements unrelated to AW shall be rejected;
all personal ads shall be rejected. Submissions containing ethnic slurs, or
submissions intended to hurt any given race, religion, gender, or sexual
orientation, shall be rejected. Personal attacks on individual posters will
also be rejected. Attacks on COF Inc., its employees, contractors or
partners will be rejected.
When major changes to the charter are to be considered, an announcement will
be made on news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup inviting interested
people to respond and thus participate via email. The role of the moderators
is to ensure the conditions of the charter are met by any submission to
news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup. The moderators recognize that
they should be as unbiased and objective as is humanly possible. Submissions
are evaluated as to whether or not (1) they are on topic, (2) they meet
netiquette, (3) they are appropriate for the group membership as a group
(rather than something that belongs in e-mail to an individual(s)), and (4)
meet any other submission standards as defined in the charter. The deletions
of the rejected submissions to news.activeworlds.com/moderated newsgroup by
the moderators should be in a timely manner. The total number of moderators
shall be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5. Should a moderator reject a
submission, s/he will delete the complete with no notice to the group or the
submitter in a timely manner (usually within 48 hours). All of the other
moderators shall be included in any notification of the deletion. Should
the moderators as a group disagree with a moderator's decision about a
submission, a minimum a coin toss majority is required to override it. Other
details will be refined during the initial existence of
news.activeworlds.com/moderated newsgroup, recognizing that it is impossible
to anticipate all of the details of moderation in advance. Submitters to
news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup should recognize the volunteer
nature of the moderators, possible equipment problems with the server, etc.,
and keep such issues in mind when considering whether or not a post or
deletion was made in a timely way. The moderators will also work among
themselves to define the details of moderation, for example, addressing such
issues as how many moderators are actively moderating at a time and how to
deal with threads that appear to have strayed from the subject of AW.
Additional moderators to the initial 2 may be recruited from the readership
as demand warrants. If a moderator wants to retire from the moderation
panel, he or she must make a public statement at least one month prior to
retirement so that a replacement moderator may be found. Anyone may
volunteer to join the moderation panel with the consent of at least a coin
toss majority of the current moderators. Moderators also may be removed by a
coin toss majority of the moderation panel. Of course, moderators may resign
of their own volition at any time.

E-Mail Addresses: One e-mail addresses will be established for contacting
the group of moderators. A home page will also be established as a
repository for the charter and other relevant materials that may be required
in the future (FAQ, moderator policy updates, etc.).END CHARTER.

MODERATOR INFO: news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup

Moderator: Rick Noll < enzo at activeworlds.com >
Moderator: JP McCormick < jpmc at activeworlds.com >

NEWSGROUP MOTTO: "Be excellent to each other. and PARTY ON DUDES!" J
Abraham Lincoln

flagg

Jun 6, 2001, 8:42pm
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have posted this charter as a reminder in case there is anyone who has not
seen it or has seen it, but forgotten what it says.

Some of you may notice a few posts missing from the newsgroups today. These
posts were removed for violating the charter.

In the event you find a post that you feel violates the newsgroup charter
please e-mail abuse at activeworlds.com and include a copy of the post and a
starting thread. If it is found to violate the rules set forth in this
newsgroup then it will be removed.

If we find a particular user who is violating the charter on a regular basis
they may loose the privilege to post here entirely.

In the next few days we will be opening a new newsgroup called "General
Discussion". This will be for Activeworlds community members to use to
discuss things not supported by the other available newsgroups.

Thank you again everyone for your support of Activeworlds. If you have any
questions please feel free to contact me by e-mail. Have a great day and
let's keep these newsgroups a friendly place for all.

Sincerely

Tom Fournier
Tom at activeworlds.com
Customer Service / Sales Manager
Activeworlds.com Inc.
95 Parker St.
Newburyport, MA 01950

www.activeworlds.com

brant

Jun 6, 2001, 8:44pm
Great idea. Now there'll finally be a place for all those off-topic posts
and Eep's flames.

[View Quote]

syntax

Jun 6, 2001, 8:53pm
Thank you very much Tom! I think this will resolve most and/or all of the
problems that this newsgroup is facing right now.
--
Syntax
syntax at swcity.net
www.swcity.net

<snip>

s p a r k

Jun 6, 2001, 9:45pm
Ahh run it's the dark man! Heh, I just read the The Stand, and you got
nouked, muhahaha...
Darnit, not I HAVE to read the charter 0.o
At least we got a moderator :d

[View Quote]

wing

Jun 6, 2001, 10:25pm
First, it's not news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity :)
news.activeworlds.com/community
Heh.

Second, thanks. It's been reposted many times in the past weeks, but hopefully hearing it from an employee will get it through
certain heads.

All I can say is, woo Flagg! It's about time this place got a "bs" NG! (I need a
place to play :)) But does that mean you're going to be moderating the community NG
from now on?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Leave it to AWCom to step in and stop stupidity dead in its tracks!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

jfk2

Jun 8, 2001, 1:11am
NEWSGROUP MOTTO: "Be excellent to each other. and PARTY ON DUDES!" J
Abraham Lincoln
I for one will admit that not all of use have been following that NGS
MOTTO at all... just look back on some of my & Chucks Party's posts of
a moth or so ago... And thatis why I'll state that i & Chuck are some of
GUILTY ones when it comes to...

flagg <tom at activeworlds.com> wrote in
<3b1eaeb5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

> [...]
>month prior to retirement so that a replacement moderator may be found.
>Anyone may volunteer to join the moderation panel with the consent of at
>least a coin toss majority of the current moderators. Moderators also may
>be removed by a coin toss majority of the moderation panel. Of course,
>moderators may resign of their own volition at any time.
>
>E-Mail Addresses: One e-mail addresses will be established for contacting
>the group of moderators. A home page will also be established as a
>repository for the charter and other relevant materials that may be
>required in the future (FAQ, moderator policy updates, etc.).END CHARTER.
>
>MODERATOR INFO: news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup
>
>Moderator: Rick Noll < enzo at activeworlds.com >
>Moderator: JP McCormick < jpmc at activeworlds.com >
>

>NEWSGROUP MOTTO: "Be excellent to each other. and PARTY ON DUDES!" J

jfk2

Jun 8, 2001, 1:16am
In the next few days we will be opening a new newsgroup called "General
Discussion". This will be for Activeworlds community members to use to
discuss things not supported by the other available newsgroups.
If i take this correct... Chuck & I & everyone else that want to
BASH each other over the heads with words of LOVE, HATE, SAW, etc...
Will have to move our BUTTS out of here and into the new one or have
our posts deleted OR US DELETED AS WELL...

<3b1eb1bf$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
>
>I have posted this charter as a reminder in case there is anyone who has
>not seen it or has seen it, but forgotten what it says.
>
>Some of you may notice a few posts missing from the newsgroups today.
>These posts were removed for violating the charter.
>
>In the event you find a post that you feel violates the newsgroup charter
>please e-mail abuse at activeworlds.com and include a copy of the post and a
>starting thread. If it is found to violate the rules set forth in this
>newsgroup then it will be removed.
>
>If we find a particular user who is violating the charter on a regular
>basis they may loose the privilege to post here entirely.
>
>In the next few days we will be opening a new newsgroup called "General
>Discussion". This will be for Activeworlds community members to use to
>discuss things not supported by the other available newsgroups.
>
>Thank you again everyone for your support of Activeworlds. If you have
>any questions please feel free to contact me by e-mail. Have a great day
>and let's keep these newsgroups a friendly place for all.
>

>Sincerely
>
>Tom Fournier
>Tom at activeworlds.com
>Customer Service / Sales Manager
>Activeworlds.com Inc.
>95 Parker St.
>Newburyport, MA 01950
>
>www.activeworlds.com

eep

Jun 8, 2001, 1:20am
Very good, zippy. Wow, and to think you extrapolated all that out by your loneself self. HOW SUPER FOR YOU. This "general" newsgroup will also be known by its more common name of "rejects" in which you, Chucks Party, the SW Twits, Goober King, and all the other idiotic lamers will flee to in revolt. And, yes, your posts WILL be deleted if you post off-topic here and in AW's other newsgroups, so don't even think about doing it anymore, snappatwitfucks, because if AWCI won't enforce their policy, *I* will.

[View Quote] > In the next few days we will be opening a new newsgroup called "General
> Discussion". This will be for Activeworlds community members to use to
> discuss things not supported by the other available newsgroups.
> If i take this correct... Chuck & I & everyone else that want to
> BASH each other over the heads with words of LOVE, HATE, SAW, etc...
> Will have to move our BUTTS out of here and into the new one or have
> our posts deleted OR US DELETED AS WELL...
>
> flagg <tom at activeworlds.com> wrote in
> <3b1eb1bf$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

m a r c u s

Jun 8, 2001, 1:23am
EEP's policy?

Now that is really off topic.

[View Quote]

syli

Jun 8, 2001, 2:38am
If they moderate doesn't that mean you might be out too? Legitimate Q.

--
~Syli
[View Quote]

syntax

Jun 8, 2001, 2:56am
Ahhh baby Eepy... Why are you calling the SW City staff "twits?" We never
post off-topic. We never stir up crap in here. We DO post things related
to Active Worlds and not related to Milk or whatever. You don't know any of
us that well to go and call us twits so "get your facts straight" before you
speak.
--
Syntax
syntax at swcity.net
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

eep

Jun 8, 2001, 5:23am
Anyone who names themself after an organization is a twit. Oops, that includes Peacekeepers and Gatekeepers too, but at least some of them are smart enough not to use that name ALL the time, unlike SOME wanna-be oh-god-I-need-an-identity twits like you and your SW butt buddies. <chuckle>

Keep trying, fuckwits.

[View Quote] > Ahhh baby Eepy... Why are you calling the SW City staff "twits?" We never
> post off-topic. We never stir up crap in here. We DO post things related
> to Active Worlds and not related to Milk or whatever. You don't know any of
> us that well to go and call us twits so "get your facts straight" before you
> speak.
> --
> Syntax
> syntax at swcity.net
> www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

chucks party

Jun 8, 2001, 7:01am
Are you kidding Syli, eep is AW.com's pet, he can get away with murder in
here and they won't get rid of him. Ask him why he gets free Cits and Worlds
for the rest of his life or something, LOL

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Jun 8, 2001, 7:25am
Well that explains why AW allows a foul mouth to infestate this newsgroup,
But hey CT this is where all other world owners have gone wrong. Abuse,
swear and insult other members and you get free cits and worlds.

Even send telegrams to members swearing at them and AW.Com still support
him. Perhaps its time for AW to re write its own rules to state.

These rules only apply to paying members and world owners, not to eep, This
displays to us all the consideration and how considers its paying members.
Perhaps it should advertise.

" Come to Activeworlds, Get harrasased and Be swore at"

Yes before the eep sheep start to follow with the good he has done
activeworlds, think, does that give anyone the right to swear, abuse and do
whatever they feel fit, including totall disregard of the very regulations
of the system he is supposed to support?

[View Quote]

chucks party

Jun 8, 2001, 7:36am
Nope but AW.com supports SCUM that is what I have noticed, they let them
teach at the AWSchool and swear defamatory words at people and force good
people to deal with them becuase they simply don't want to deal with it,
instead they reward them. Gee that makes alot of sense right, sounds pretty
bad when you put it that way, and it is. AWCI needs to clean up their act
before they expect everyone else to.

[View Quote]

nornny

Jun 8, 2001, 8:55am
Eep is truly a community newsgroup creation. AWCOM REALLY hates Eep with a
capital H, the last time I checked. But, there's something about upfront
honesty, ego trips, and good experience in programming that will get the
love of us twits. No, he's not the best example of etiquette and niceness,
but there's plenty of good examples that newbies frst encounter in the first
place. Yes, he HAS been banned, multiple times, in fact, but he's just TOO
useful to the group. I know you can't see the usefulness in him, here, but
check out the other newsgroups, and technical posts that are put here in
community. He rarely swears in them or anything. He CAN program AW if he
ever was in that position. See, the difference between YOU swearing is that
you have no credibility, you swear because you're mad, you haven't
established the fact in the begining that you're evil, and we can live
without you because you don't contribute too much. (YOU as in anyone who is
reading this, not Chuck's specifically). Eep can swear because YOU'RE the
stupid person who posted something stupid (and you most likely knew it), and
it's part of his lingo besides all those technical mumbo jumbo I never
understand. :)

We as a community would fall without Eep, whereas we'd thrive if Eep was the
only one standing. lol.

Nornny

[View Quote]

chucks party

Jun 8, 2001, 9:24am
Nornny, please, I don't want to get into an arguement with you about this,
but any good he may do still does not give him the right to swear at every
post and any person he wants to. The words he uses I would never say to
anyone in public and it is really the lowest form of SCUM to even use it to
defame someone. I may be wrong but I don't think so, lol

[View Quote]

birdmike

Jun 8, 2001, 11:46am
Eep has many ideas for AW, but he cannot program. He said it wasn't worth
learning to a while back.

Just a bit of semi-pointless info.