Posting Rules (Wishlist)

Posting Rules // Wishlist

1  |

your hiroshi

Jul 6, 2001, 3:07pm
1) Why all the rules? Don't we all have modems faster than 14.4, pcs faster
than 90mhz, and plenty of disk space?
2) Don't we all have news browsers that can read HTML?
3) Aren't those of us who do not have these things the minority?

4) Is text on a news server a precious, exhaustible thing?
5) Is the news server a Timex Sinclair?

I am really SICK of nagging CS majors telling me how to use my computer. I
am 34 years old and I have been waiting all my life for computers to allow
us to no longer be shackled by stupid arbitrary rules.

The internet allows different kinds of people to communicate. Protocol and
observance of customary behavior has absolutely no place here.

If someone uses long long long lines, or uses HTML, or talks about something
you don't personally like...

GROW UP!

It's just data, and there's more where it came from.

andras

Jul 6, 2001, 3:47pm
[View Quote] %90 of the internet users are still on a modem 28.8-50.0 K (source : IDG) Disk space is scarce if you have Winblows installed.

> 2) Don't we all have news browsers that can read HTML?

No we don't. Several of us - even we able to read HTML - just refuse it due to MicroSlop's nice bugs in their newsreader.

> 3) Aren't those of us who do not have these things the minority?

No - they are the majority so far. It is easy to neglecting us from a broadband connection (mediaone.net). Interestingly you americans always forget that in other countries we pay for the amount of data downloaded and/or by the minutes. Why send message with inflated HTML when you can communicate the same message with plain text?

> 4) Is text on a news server a precious, exhaustible thing?

Yes - it adds up. 36,000 posts at 1 KBytes (text) will use only 70 MBytes (with overhead) but with a 100K HTML and pictures - it will add up to 3-4 GBytes.

> 5) Is the news server a Timex Sinclair?

No it is not but the net still have bandwidth. Suppose there is 500 ppl reading those groups (probably an underestimate but what the heck) - it is 3.5 GBytes data transferred from the server to the net if you use your common sense and post only in text but it is 1.5 Terrabytes of traffic if you are so neglecting and post inflated messages. The funny part is that the messages carries the same INFORMATION either in ASCII or in HTML. Yes - the net is broad but why fill it up with junk?

> I am really SICK of nagging CS majors telling me how to use my computer. I
> am 34 years old and I have been waiting all my life for computers to allow
> us to no longer be shackled by stupid arbitrary rules.

I guess you need to live a few more hundreds of years before you actually understand that the universe is not spinning around you. Those rules are not arbitraty - they came from the neccessities.

> The internet allows different kinds of people to communicate. Protocol and
> observance of customary behavior has absolutely no place here.

Same is valid for a convention or for a party. Do you piss into the host's laundrybasket just because you refuse to accept protocol or customary behavior?

> If someone uses long long long lines, or uses HTML, or talks about something
> you don't personally like...
>
> GROW UP!

I (and several others) did - much longer before you :)

> It's just data, and there's more where it came from.

It was just babbling and there is more where it came from :)

Andras

wing

Jul 6, 2001, 4:12pm
[View Quote] Some of us appreciate efficiency.

> 2) Don't we all have news browsers that can read HTML?

No. Many of us, once we get past the lame outlook stage use somthing USEFUL.

> 3) Aren't those of us who do not have these things the minority?

*hitz buzzer again*

> 5) Is the news server a Timex Sinclair?

My personal theory is that it's a mac.

> I am really SICK of nagging CS majors telling me how to use my computer. I
> am 34 years old and I have been waiting all my life for computers to allow
> us to no longer be shackled by stupid arbitrary rules.

Then stop using Microsoft software.

> The internet allows different kinds of people to communicate. Protocol and
> observance of customary behavior has absolutely no place here.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OMFG YOU ARE FULL OF IT. Each different nook of the internet has it's own culture, it's own set of established
practices, and therefore it's own culture and customs.

> If someone uses long long long lines, or uses HTML, or talks about something
> you don't personally like...

Long lines are an established practice here. Makes it easier to read on larger resolutions.

> GROW UP!

Learn the basics.

> It's just data, and there's more where it came from.

[Warning: Touching rant ahead]
Yeah. And I, for one have a liking for keeping my computers as sleek, fast and powerful as possible. This is achieved through
overclocking, buttloads of high quality RAM, a RAID hard drive system, etc. Now, for 99% of the people that operate this level of
system, it's useless fluff. But for me, I use EVERY CPU cycle doing genetics work for Stanford University. The additional time that
gets spent downloading and processing HTML may not seem like much, but it adds up. That's CPU time that will never get devoted to an
ything useful. When the Palomino 1.7GHz's come out later this year, I'll complain less. But since BOTH CPUs will be crunching genes,
the problem will still be there. Think about it. Would you rather my computer a) Decode your HTML posts or b) Have the potential to
design a gene that proves to be the holy graal that strikes down HIV/AIDS or cancer? This computer still gets everyday uses, but I
go FAR out of my way to make sure that they're so lightly CPU intensive that it isn't funny. My gene crunching has a higher CPU
priority than AW does. Please, concider that you may be disrupting the chance of survival for one of your descendents. This lowly
computer will not find the cure, but it will narrow the choices. Now before you get all on me about Stanford having the ability to
do their own work... There are THOUSANDS of people devoting their computers to the same thing, in what I concider the most noble
distributed computing project ever. Does Stanford have thousands of high end computers sitting around to do this on? I thought not.

You grow up, and realize that every action you make has it's repercussions somewhere in the world. If you would like to pursue your
arguments any further, you can concider yourself filtered. The same goes for anybody else that feels like backing his opinions.

beardo

Jul 6, 2001, 5:40pm
Wing, could you post a link to Stanford and the project? Please.

Beardo

[View Quote] [snip]

> [Warning: Touching rant ahead]
> Yeah. And I, for one have a liking for keeping my computers as sleek, fast
and powerful as possible. This is achieved through
> overclocking, buttloads of high quality RAM, a RAID hard drive system,
etc. Now, for 99% of the people that operate this level of
> system, it's useless fluff. But for me, I use EVERY CPU cycle doing
genetics work for Stanford University. The additional time that
> gets spent downloading and processing HTML may not seem like much, but it
adds up. That's CPU time that will never get devoted to an
> ything useful. When the Palomino 1.7GHz's come out later this year, I'll
complain less. But since BOTH CPUs will be crunching genes,
> the problem will still be there. Think about it. Would you rather my
computer a) Decode your HTML posts or b) Have the potential to
> design a gene that proves to be the holy graal that strikes down HIV/AIDS
or cancer? This computer still gets everyday uses, but I
> go FAR out of my way to make sure that they're so lightly CPU intensive
that it isn't funny. My gene crunching has a higher CPU
> priority than AW does. Please, concider that you may be disrupting the
chance of survival for one of your descendents. This lowly
> computer will not find the cure, but it will narrow the choices. Now
before you get all on me about Stanford having the ability to
> do their own work... There are THOUSANDS of people devoting their
computers to the same thing, in what I concider the most noble
> distributed computing project ever. Does Stanford have thousands of high
end computers sitting around to do this on? I thought not.

> You grow up, and realize that every action you make has it's repercussions
somewhere in the world. If you would like to pursue your
> arguments any further, you can concider yourself filtered. The same goes
for anybody else that feels like backing his opinions.

wing

Jul 6, 2001, 5:45pm
Not a very well developed website, but the information's all there.
http://genomeathome.stanford.edu

My team, usenet's own team ACHO, currently in sixth place.
http://www.abbc65.theseed.net/genomeathome/acho-team-genome.htm

[View Quote]

sw comit

Jul 6, 2001, 6:09pm
About the HTML, I never use to understand why people hated it so much, but I
guess it just takes longer to download. Some people just download all the
messages and read them later, probably because they don't have unlimited
access to the internet.

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com

[View Quote]

m a r c u s

Jul 6, 2001, 8:48pm
I would support more things to be allowed in newsgroups if 1) they could
filter what is downloaded or 2) There was a seperate section only for these
additions. People go to it at their decision, but it wouldn't effect others
who want less downloaded.

The way it is now, it appears the file size is the issue and for whatever
reasons they can't filter out .jpg extensions and the like.

[View Quote]

lord perception

Jul 6, 2001, 8:51pm
[View Quote] <snipped>

Hmmm...

It would be a good idea if we collectively could draw up a charter that can
be posted to the newsgroups every week or every few days, so that people new
to the newsgroups can be aware of the rules and the reason why we have these
rules.

The reason for this is to avoid confusion and frustration for people who are
new to using the Newsgroups. Also, please people keep your ego's out of
this.

Right now it seems some people are using 'newbies' as a punching bag to
throws a few belts of their ego at.

[View Quote] Content rules :

Mail and news are developed to communicate in 7 bit ascii.
Both work on Unix character terminals very well with a
simple command line interface.

Newsgroups are for discussions and informations, HTML does
not add value to your informations, so there's no need to
use it. It even makes mails unreadable in some newsreaders.

No need to waste bandwidth just because you are able to do
it. The bandwidth is a global resource and newsgroups usually
are spread all around the world (Usenet).

The places where to post attachements are organized in the
"binaries" groups, all other groups try to stay clean.

Style rules :

Visit 10 newsgroups and you will find 10 different rules
for posting, style rules are (IMO) pure nonsense. The way
you write is part of your way to express things.

I prefer short lines that can be quoted 2 or 3 times without
beeing wrapped, some prefer long lines and no automatic
wrapping breaks at all. You will find groups that flame
you for either of these 2 styles.

Volker

--
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

s p a r k

Jul 7, 2001, 3:45pm
And how freaking old are you?
Are you a rich spoiled brat?
Damn man, I way more mature than you and I'm 14!

Grow UP.

[View Quote]

s p a r k

Jul 7, 2001, 3:46pm
Well, it costs some people extra money per MB...

[View Quote]

lord perception

Jul 7, 2001, 7:06pm
[View Quote] >And how freaking old are you?
>Are you a rich spoiled brat?
>Damn man, I way more mature than you and I'm 14!
>
>Grow UP.

Hmmm... there seems to be a general pattern in here that the ones with large
ego's are almost always 14, claiming they are more mature and smarter. Seem
to be the case of the 'me too' more like it in this particular case.
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame3.html

Not meaning to offend anyone.

wing

Jul 7, 2001, 7:38pm
*shrug* Then there are 14 year olds with a touch of flaming ego and some intelligence to back it up (IE myself)

Just trying to make sure that age doesn't become a factor in these groups, you can't classify by age, only intelligence.
[View Quote]

captain mad mike

wing

Jul 9, 2001, 3:43am
[View Quote] > I play CS

He's talking about Computer Sciences majors man.

captain mad mike

Jul 9, 2001, 7:46pm
ooooooooooooooopsy
[View Quote]

billyat

Jul 20, 2001, 3:49pm
Wing -- while you were posting this your overclocked CPUs missed the cure for HIV, cancer and acne. Shame.

--
billyat (Bill the Yat)
"if you don't like polls -- LIE TO THE POLSTERS"

prideboy

Aug 11, 2001, 3:58pm
Well, some rules wouldnt be so bad if certain people werent so rude and
nasty and sarcastic about them!