There (Community)

There // Community

1  2  |

facter

Jan 8, 2003, 12:18pm
More kids ont he block..and this one does look damn cool...vehicles n
all...yoop!

http://www.there.com/what_is_there.html

F.

carlbanks

Jan 8, 2003, 12:36pm
AW needs to be like this. They can even sit down and USE the objects!

[View Quote]

builderz

Jan 8, 2003, 1:43pm
O_O It sort of looks like a combination of the AW 3.4 beta and a 3D-like
The Sims in another camera angle, with mini-games and vehicles mixed in.
Thanks for the link, Facter! Looks very interesting. I wonder if There
and Linden Lab will go head to head now...

-Builderz

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Jan 8, 2003, 1:54pm
Yes! The Sims! *Goes back to playing the game*

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Jan 8, 2003, 2:26pm
There proberly going to be a few new contenders entering the ring this year.

[View Quote]

facter

Jan 8, 2003, 3:37pm
[View Quote] It does look veyr interesting...though, I wasnt able to see anywhere whether
it lets you *build* your own things or not...I saw that they would be
releasing the whole API so that people can make their own worlds and such,
but nothing else.....

Maybe i missed it :)

F.

facter

Jan 8, 2003, 3:39pm
...just saw the "developers" page actually..didnt look at that before...so it
will let you build your own objects and products for in-world??? Wow. You
could program your own space-cruisers and such......

yup. lots of potential.

F.

[View Quote]

brant

Jan 8, 2003, 7:29pm
Well, I hate to be the bad guy here, but this is the same thing as Second
Life - it's a beta version :( I agree that it has potential, but none of
these products, INCLUDING verison 3.4 of AW, has made it to a release
yet.....

[View Quote]

syntax

Jan 8, 2003, 8:13pm
*plays with the navigation bar on the site*
This is better than all the 3d Uni's out there...
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

facter

Jan 8, 2003, 9:19pm
Whats the big deal with 3.4? Its not really all that revolutionary, and
also, I have been using it in beta now for months *shrugs*

Its good, sure, and any update is a vast improvement over no update, but i
dont know why everypjme is getting up in arms over it not being released
yet...its been abig changeover for shamus to pick up the coding you know,
its not like there wasnt a shitload to do and learn after Roland left...

But anyways, if you know much about the actual names behind There, you
wouldnt think of it in any way as Vapourware....as soon as I saw the people
behind it, vapour never even crossed my mind....

F.

[View Quote]

sk8man1

Jan 8, 2003, 10:40pm
LOL, I applied for second life, they didn't even respond to me. That's
almost worse than AW...

[View Quote]

brant

Jan 9, 2003, 12:29am
That's what I'm talking about. Even if I were a beta tester for any of
these products, it doesn't mean that the beta will be released. That's why
I wait until release versions come out before making judgement :)

-Brant

[View Quote]

syntax

Jan 9, 2003, 4:19am
Same sk8man...

But at least There has some cool screenshots of people in the program.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

Jan 9, 2003, 5:37am
But bubble chat only? From the screenshots?

[View Quote]

kerstin

Jan 9, 2003, 10:34am
SL sends an email to everyone who applies. But they only send subsequent
emails to those that are accepted into the beta. I suspect that you didn't
meet the minimum requirements posted. If you email me privately, and tell
me what you were missing, I'll see what I can do. More beta testers are now
needed.

So far as cool screenshots go, I will soon have a web site up and running
about Second Life (Your2ndLife.com). I have Linden Labs's permission to
post screenshots, and to describe what I see and do in there. I'm very
excited about this, because I've just been bursting to tell people about it.

Second Life is very stable, and I have every reason to believe it will be
released as scheduled. And when it is, it's gonna blow everything else
right out of the water.

Kerstin

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Jan 9, 2003, 12:38pm
Like all things in life, you get different ideas for differnt people. I
beleave second life is restricted to cable connections only, which restricts
usage by dail up connections and the one Facter mentioned is restricted to
certian vid cards,at least aw you can use regardless of connection and vid
card. Acessability is one key to success.

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Jan 9, 2003, 1:16pm
Yeah. AW will never be beat. It works with everything.

"carlbanks" <CarLBanks at insight.rr.com> wrote in
news:3e1d9233$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Yeah. AW will never be beat. It works with everything.

There's so Linux port though :-D If you're still around E N Z O, tell those
programmers to port AW to linux ;-))

KAH

brant

Jan 9, 2003, 4:34pm
True, but I think the number of people using broadband versus dial-up is
above 70% now. Thus, Second Life would only need to appeal to 30% more
people than AW does - which, if it's a huge hit, isn't that many :)

-Brant

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

Jan 9, 2003, 4:55pm
I think it will be where you live, many places cant yet use broadband or dsl
services. I was thinking after the last messages to this thread that if
cable is required to run some of these products the downloads might be
greater then aw has, I know from using cable aw is better, but then why make
aw a cable service as many that do use it cant afford cable or some cant
obtain it.

Like many of the clones ariving on the market they are not as broad as aw is
in its user base.

Broadband (mostly ADSL, some power line or cable, very few Sat DSL)
coverage in germany is about 27% I think. Some cannot get it because
of the region, some prefer cheaper ISDN flat rates.

[View Quote] Only about 20-30% of people in the Central New York area have broadband.

--Bowen--

andras

Jan 9, 2003, 8:42pm
[View Quote] Isn't Brant the one who knows it all???? He claims %70 on broadband! Seems to me, NY is not on his population list, neither the rest of the world outside the US :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Jan 9, 2003, 9:05pm
Ouch ;O) hehe

[View Quote]

brant

Jan 9, 2003, 9:27pm
Hey, I'm not the one who makes up these statistics. The statistic was for
people who can easily access broadband - sattelite access is not included in
the definition of "easy," I believe, but DSL, cable, etc. were.

But you have to admit that the number will be going up, whether anyone likes
it or not....

-Brant

[View Quote]

maki

Jan 9, 2003, 9:34pm
[View Quote] LOL!

maki

zeo toxion

Jan 9, 2003, 10:02pm
I have broadband so I can easily say this, but I think I'd rather have Second Life require broadband and be a
better product becuase of it then limit it's potential to allow dial-up to use it too. Broadband IS growing and
a great percentage of people have it, so it's not exactly like broadbanders are in the minority. At some point
you have to stop limiting something just so people with older/slower hardware can use it.

That's all I have to say...
--
Zeo

[View Quote]

canopus

Jan 9, 2003, 11:01pm
Also today, Myst Online announced (http://uru.ubi.com) that the online
version of Myst would be taking applications for Beta testers. Besides its
usual great graphics (broadband preferred), Myst Online will allow you to
decide whether you want to explore the world (Uru) on your own, socialize or
just hang out in your individual Myst world (online voice communication is a
feature), or just figure out how everything works (puzzle solving, not
killing, is the challenge).

Star Wars Galaxies should be going into the third Beta stage soon, too. It's
one of several Online Role-Playing Games coming out during 2003 that in fact
seem likely to allow player building online (one primary player profession
in SWG is the Architect). The others are Horizons and Atriarch.

[View Quote]

ptolemy

Jan 9, 2003, 11:19pm
A few interesting stats about Broadband

"According to a Dataquest survey, 28 percent of U.S. online households
connect to the Internet via broadband connections. Analysts warn that 'first
to market' remains essential in the battle between cable and DSL providers.
November 20, 2002 "
http://www.cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/broadband/article/0,,10099_154571
1,00.html

Broadband the Bright Spot in Access Market
http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/broadband/article/0,,10099_982021,00.
html#table

Broadband Users Pull Ahead in Online Hours
http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/broadband/article/0,,10099_985891,00.
html#table

Big Boosts in Broadband
http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/broadband/article/0,,10099_1141701,00
..html#table2

Ptolemy

wizard myrddin

Jan 9, 2003, 11:26pm
Must admit the use of broadband is growing, but like many telephone systems
around the world, if the exchange authorities don't consider it viable to
upgrade they exchange to handle cable connections many will be left with
dial up connections.

Even the cable franchises in the UK have not cabled all properties, myself
for instance move 30 metres from my last location and was told they cannot
connect to broadband now, such is the system.

This year is set for a influx of VR type chat products and only those that
prove themselves to be reliable and accessible will survive this
competition.

Like many Internet users around the world will flock to these alternatives
to aw, only by reason of hearing about it in the media, this is a proven
fact. If aw is not prepared to handle getting its product known into the
market place these other products will harvest the users into their product.
As many more connections to broadband are acieved, these products will pick
up users, the sims is a prime example of this with TV advertising in the UK
and national press coverage.

At the end of the day, if you beleave in the product and its sustainablility
sell the dam product to the world.