NewAW Flyover! (Community)

NewAW Flyover! // Community

1  2  3  |

lord fett

Nov 20, 2002, 1:05am
Not really, cause I hardly post in the newsgroups. There are some that post
10 or more times in the same topic about this and it is stupid.

[View Quote]

pineriver

Nov 20, 2002, 1:34am
I have only one question, who is the owner of aw universe?

[View Quote] Me, of course.

--Bowen--

anarkissed

Nov 20, 2002, 1:45am
You won't see anything different from AW except how the sun corona looks if
you just look at static shots. What's new is the way the water waves and
how he can leap and how the avatar behaves in flight and in water and stuff.
You can right click the link, save target as, and then watch at your
leisure.

[View Quote]

maki

Nov 20, 2002, 2:44am
lol. It's e n z o, pineriver, aka rick noll.

awmaki.com
[View Quote]

chiklit

Nov 20, 2002, 2:53am
He's been watching to many superman movies ;)

--
OS: Windows XP Prof. Build 2600
Processor: AMD Athlon, 1.2GHz

chiklit

Nov 20, 2002, 2:54am
It'd be nice if we could actually do this in NewAW concidering fly is turned
off

--
OS: Windows XP Prof. Build 2600
Processor: AMD Athlon, 1.2GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
Card: ATI Radeon 7000/VE 32MB (Driver Recent As of 10-14-02)
Video Mode: DX7 (w/o T&L)
Version: 3.4 Beta Build 442
[View Quote] Here is a movie taken in NewAW. It is 25 megs cuz I don't know the first
thing about WMV encoder. It's also a little choppy so if you have a slow
connection wait for the reviews before downloading.

http://objects.activeworlds.com/newbuild/images/flyover5.wmv

Some of the things you will see are the new camera angles, the seqs attached
to different environments such as flying, swimming, running - the seqs also
have sounds linked to them. Then we go for a flyover of some of NewAW using
the UberJetpack from Acme, it's really fast... the first couple of times I
hit trees :) we go for a swim and then fly to the mountains where I get
altitude sickness...

Enzo

I will probably replace this with a better clip tomorrow.

syntax

Nov 20, 2002, 3:36am
*slaps all of you guys*
I was not complaining, I was just stating how to EASILY convert to plain
text from HTML and avoid all the bullcrap that springs from people posting
in HTML.

So how about YOU lay-off, eh?
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 20, 2002, 9:26am
Lady Pippin was nice enough to put together a screen shots page. I'm not sure if she plans to add more, but in case you haven't seen it at all here's the address...

http://www.pippin2.com/NewAW.html

I hope that helps.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] Here is a movie taken in NewAW. It is 25 megs cuz I don't know the first thing about WMV encoder. It's also a little choppy so if you have a slow connection wait for the reviews before downloading.

http://objects.activeworlds.com/newbuild/images/flyover5.wmv

Some of the things you will see are the new camera angles, the seqs attached to different environments such as flying, swimming, running - the seqs also have sounds linked to them. Then we go for a flyover of some of NewAW using the UberJetpack from Acme, it's really fast... the first couple of times I hit trees :) we go for a swim and then fly to the mountains where I get altitude sickness...

Enzo

I will probably replace this with a better clip tomorrow.

technozeus

Nov 20, 2002, 9:31am
Some news readers can't display HTML, so they read HTML posts as plain text. That may not seem like a big deal to someone who can't see what it looks like, but to the people who have to try to read posts that way it can be quite a bother... and it actually can increase the size of the download rather substantially.

TZ

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 20, 2002, 1:19pm
AW Inc.

And lookie who started it? :D

Sorry guys, I got lazy.

Chris

Only if it's a long post. Jusy get a better newsreader. =P

Chris

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3ddbe575$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Only if it's a long post. Jusy get a better newsreader. =P

Nah, HTML is evil in news posts. So a good newsreader won't support it. It
was introduced to NNTP by an evil company as well, making it really eeevil.

KAH

binarybud

Nov 20, 2002, 6:20pm
BB gets this visual of KAH holding his pinky finger to his lips.....LOL :)

Define a "good" newsreader. The ones bundled with mozilla and netscape support HTML.

"bowen" <thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com.ANTISPAM> wrote in
news:3ddbfd46 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Define a "good" newsreader. The ones bundled with mozilla and
> netscape support HTML.

That's because they need to fight the evilness more than any other, so to
convert the people used to evil news practices, they need to provide some
support for it. In my view a good newsreader is one that is 100% compliant
with NNTP standards and USENET/news good practice by default.

[View Quote] I suppose HTML could comply with ASCII standards rather than binary standards. The
only thing that differs is the ability of the reader to interpret the code?

--Bowen--

technozeus

Nov 21, 2002, 12:42am
Actually, HTML does comply with ASCII standards. As a matter of fact, HTML is plain text. The problem is in the "amount" of plain text. I'll write an example as a reply to this message, but to avoid embetting HTML into plain text, I'll turn on HTML for the reply. Anyone who wants to avoid that, please avoid opening that reply.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C290D6.D2B87420

Okay, now... let's say I had wanted to post a simple test reply =
containing nothing but the word "test" in the message body...

There would of course be the header information, such as:

From: "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com>

Subject: Re: NewAW Flyover!

Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:35 PM

and in addition to that, a plain text post would contain the following =
single line of text...

test

and that's it.

Alternatively, a very efficiently written HTML post would add a minimum =
of the following...

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re_NewAW Flyover!</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>test</BODY>

</HTML>

....but of course the same test post in HTML is actually more likely to =
contain something like...

<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" =
CONTENT=3D"text/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<HTML><HEAD>

charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>test</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Now, if that looks a little harder to read than just the word "test" =
you're not alone in that feeling. HTML is a markup language, intended =
for formated text. Even when you don't do any formating, the language =
still has to describe such things as where the body of the text begins =
and ends.

I don't know if that helps at all, and I can only hope that it will =
display right.

Many HTML posts that say very little are actually much more complex than =
that, and in fact this post is probably a disaster because HTML has to =
use special encodings for certain characters such as the "<" and ">" =
characters used to mark the start and end of a single tag like the <p> =
tag used to denote the beginning of a paragraph, or the <b> and </b> =
tags used to define the beginning and end of bold text. These are very =
efficient tags that you might expect to see in hand written HTML code. =
When a program writes the HTML for you to make it easier to compose HTML =
documents, you can almost count on the tags being much more complex, =
such as in the case of the font tag in the last example.

TechnoZeus

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C290D6.D2B87420

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Okay, now... let's say I had wanted to =
post a=20
simple test reply containing nothing but the word "test" in the message=20
body...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There would of course be the header =
information,=20
such as:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>From: "TechnoZeus" &lt;TechnoZeus at techie.com&gt;</P>
<P>Subject: Re: NewAW Flyover!</P>
<P>Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:35 PM</P>
<P>and in addition to that, a plain text post would contain the =
following single=20
line of text...</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>test</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>and that's it.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Alternatively, a very efficiently written HTML =
post would=20
add a minimum of the following...</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>&lt;HTML&gt;&lt;HEAD&gt;&lt;TITLE&gt;Re_NewAW =
Flyover!&lt;/TITLE&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;/HEAD&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;BODY&gt;test&lt;/BODY&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;/HTML&gt;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>...but of course the same test post in HTML is =
actually more=20
likely to contain something like...</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>&lt;META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type"=20
CONTENT=3D"text/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1"&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN"&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;HTML&gt;&lt;HEAD&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;=20
charset=3Diso-8859-1"&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;STYLE&gt;&lt;/STYLE&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;/HEAD&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;BODY&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2&gt;test&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;/BODY&gt;&lt;/HTML&gt;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Now, if that looks a little harder to read than =
just the=20
word "test" you're not alone in that feeling.&nbsp; HTML is a markup =
language,=20
intended for formated text.&nbsp; Even when you don't do any formating, =
the=20
language still has to describe such things as where the body of the text =
begins=20
and ends.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>I don't know if that helps at all, and I can only =
hope that=20
it will display right.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Many HTML posts that say very little are actually =
much more=20
complex than that, and in fact this post is probably a disaster because =
HTML has=20
to use special encodings for certain characters such as the "&lt;" and =
"&gt;"=20
characters used to mark the start and end of a single tag like the =
&lt;p&gt; tag=20
used to denote the beginning of a paragraph, or the &lt;b&gt; and =
&lt;/b&gt;=20
tags used to define the beginning and end of bold text.&nbsp; These are =
very=20
efficient tags that you might expect to see in hand written HTML =
code.&nbsp;=20
When a program writes the HTML for you to make it easier to compose HTML =

documents, you can almost count on the tags being much more complex, =
such as in=20
the case of the font tag in the last example.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>TechnoZeus</FONT></P>
<P><FONT =
face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C290D6.D2B87420--

So in fact you're agreeing that every element is part of plain text and really the
only thing that changes is that we'd need an HTML interpreter.

Plain-text only news readers... an elegant weapon from a more civilized
age. Old timer... Just disappear. Or... or something! =D

Chris

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 21, 2002, 3:47am
That's not the "only" thing that changes. In most cases, you also end up with a lot of "extra" text that really didn't need to be there at all. That's why it's best to set your newsreader to send news as plain text by default, and only send HTML when you really think it's necessary. In other words, if nothing important is lost by converting to plain text, then go ahead and post as plain text so that all that extra "unimportant" text doesn't get sent for no good reason.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] Yes I know, but all HTML is is plain text that is interpreted differently. All
you're saying is it's plain text and there's a lot more of it for the same
information; which I agree.

--Bowen--

technozeus

Nov 21, 2002, 3:11pm
Basically yes. I'm saying that there is more of it for the same information, and also that people who do not have their software set up to make sense of the extra information "for them" may also find it rather difficult to read.

Since different programs have different features, some people may choose a program that does not interpret the HTML because they like other features that particular program has. Also, some people may be reading the newsgroups from a computer at work where they are not allowed to install the software of their choice, or even from a computer for which HTML interpreting news reader programs are hard to find or simply not available. Whenever we post in HTML it is an inconvenience for the people who's software does not interpret it for them, and if they are on a very slow connection it is that much more of an inconvenience, and... well... I'll shut up now. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

e n z o

Nov 21, 2002, 8:56pm
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your
side, kid.

ENZO

You gotta download this. Cause... cause.. it's cool. Andrew Lloyd Weber
style.

Star Wars Musical - Let's Blow This Thing
Lo Res:
http://66.9.80.122:8095/ch2/21512-5600-SW_LetsBlowThisThing_On2_320_15k_Q2_4
1-24_sh5.mov 6.91MB On2 QuickTime

Hi Res:
http://66.9.80.122:8095/ch2/21512-11200-SW_LetsBlowThisThing_On2_480_60k_IMA
22_sh3.mov 21.3 MB On2 QuickTime

Yeah. Oh, um... and go to fanfilms.com! Download The Formula, which is
made by a friend of mine. :) It's an hour long, but it DOES keep you
entertained for that entire time. It's well worth the time.

Signed,
The Fanboy Within Me,
Chris

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Nov 22, 2002, 5:07pm
You forgot the font tags. ;-)

[View Quote] There would of course be the header information, such as:

From: "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com>

Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:35 PM

and in addition to that, a plain text post would contain the following
single line of text...

test

and that's it.

Alternatively, a very efficiently written HTML post would add a minimum of
the following...

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re_NewAW Flyover!</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>test</BODY>

</HTML>

....but of course the same test post in HTML is actually more likely to
contain something like...

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">

<HTML><HEAD>

<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>test</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

[...]

Nov 22, 2002, 7:53pm
I didn't forget them. There's a font tag in the longer example. The shorter HTML example assumes use of the default font as set up in the software that the HTML is being viewed in.

TechnoZeus

(Him and Cryonics)

[View Quote]

1  2  3  |